**Offical** Burger appreciation thread Page 20

• Page

of 39 First / Last

• Petulant_Radish 16 Jul 2013 14:02:23 596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Where have you been getting your beef for your tasty looking creations? I'm going to start creating my own soon (might hotplate them on the BBQ) and am looking to get some good meat to mince...or an understanding butcher who won't try to fob me off!
  • Vortex808 16 Jul 2013 18:09:50 6,933 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh my. Just had a rather lovely burger in copenhagen. The beef was pretty good, but the bun and *especially* the bacon, were fantastic! The home made chips were pretty good too.

That and the amount of very attractive, fit ladies I met on my run this morning have made this a much more enjoyable holiday than it would have been.

It's been nice, but I'd be much happier if our son would behave more like a semi-civilised human being instead of running wild everywhere due to the excitement of being abroad...
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:25:14 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petulant_Radish wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob Where have you been getting your beef for your tasty looking creations? I'm going to start creating my own soon (might hotplate them on the BBQ) and am looking to get some good meat to mince...or an understanding butcher who won't try to fob me off!
    I can recommend these Th East London Steak Company They do the most amazing dry aged meat using traditional rare breed cattle. You haven't had steak till you have these steaks.

I grind my own meat, it makes a huge difference. Recently had to use some mince meat for a burger but it just tasted like pressed mince. It's difficult to go back. So I often use the best supermarket ribeye or sirloin I can get just because it's convenient and cost effective but when I have the money I get the East London Steak company meat.

If you are not grinding your own they sell pre-made Burgers "the Blue Lable which is: The coarser, fattier cousin of the Black Label burger. We use a single coarse grind, adding extra aged fat and form each burger by hand..." These are seriously good burgers and far better than anything you can buy from a supermarket. Interestingly they do rose veal burgers, but I haven't tried those yet.

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 19:26:37 16-07-2013
  • monkehhh 16 Jul 2013 19:28:33 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:Recently had to use some mince meat for a burger but it just tasted like pressed mince.
    This was my issue, got some fancy minced steak but it made a horrible burger (the way I formed them anyway). If I'm buying burgers I always go for the high fat content ones without much else in (unless it's something to fancy it up a bit, like chilli or cheese).
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:29:56 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SirDespard wrote:
    Did a good one last night, 500g steak mince, 1 tbsp Worcester Sauce, 1 tbsp Soy Sauce, half a beaten egg (tho' not sure it needed it), 75 g crumbled feta, half a packet of chopped parsley, 1 chopped chilli. Had with lettuce and tomato in a fluffy roll (our Tesco is useless on the Brioche bun front, must try M+S). Not as classy as some of your offerings but pretty tasty.
    No need for the egg as long as the far content is high enough. The far content should be high ( at least 20 percent ) for a good juicy burger, remember the flavour and juicyness is coming from that fat. The fat in the meat helps bind it together. Having said that I have made burgers when there was nothing else to hand with quite lean meat and it still held together, just dry. Leave the egg out :-)
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 19:31:17 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The more fat the better!

...in regards to hamburgers
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:34:36 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:Recently had to use some mince meat for a burger but it just tasted like pressed mince.
    This was my issue, got some fancy minced steak but it made a horrible burger (the way I formed them anyway). If I'm buying burgers I always go for the high fat content ones without much else in (unless it's something to fancy it up a bit, like chilli or cheese).
    Are you grinding your own meat? The trick is to not press together too much. It results in a dryer burger because you are a) melting the fat as you work the meat, b) leaving no pockets for the fat to melt in and thus baste the meat. It's a fine art, actually.

You want it so that it's just right. If you press too less it doesn't have enough bite for my liking but too much it's dry and it's tasting too dense. Even with decent shop/butcher mince it needs to be quite lightly pressed. It takes practice to get it just right to your liking. I still are not always happy and I have made a LOT of burgers lol Although, I am something of a perfectionist so others may not be as picky :-)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 19:36:16 16-07-2013
  • monkehhh 16 Jul 2013 19:44:18 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I just need meat and a grinder to practise with (got a butcher to do it) - my girlfriend's dad has one, might turn up on his doorstep with a bag of meat.
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 19:48:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    So I often use the best supermarket ribeye or sirloin I can get just because it's convenient and cost effective but when I have the money I get the East London Steak company meat.
    How do you save money buying sirloins and ribeyes? Those cuts are more than double at my market!
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:49:10 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    lol I love the idea of him opening the door to you standing there with a huge bag of meat. Surreal. It would be quality if you claimed you had murdered somebody and wanted to grind it up...

The grind is important, you need a course grind so maybe the butcher ground it too fine?
  • Petulant_Radish 16 Jul 2013 19:49:28 596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob nice one Bob! I'll definitely try that place...where do you stand on seasoning? Just salt when cooking, not in the patty?
  • monkehhh 16 Jul 2013 19:52:11 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob I think he put it through twice, the bastard!
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 19:52:36 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    So I often use the best supermarket ribeye or sirloin I can get just because it's convenient and cost effective but when I have the money I get the East London Steak company meat.
    How do you save money buying sirloins and ribeyes? Those cuts are more than double at my market!
    I don't mean I save money. I mean that it's cheaper than buying it from East London Steak co :-)

Actually though it's not too much more expensive than store mince. I get ribeye between 7-8 pound but really decent steak mince costs at least 4 so not too bad. Plus you can make really good burgers using braising steak, in fact many recommend it! That costs the same if not cheaper than shop mince and is miles better. If I make something like tacos or spag bol I grind up braising steak and it's full of flavour with a much better texture than pre-ground shop mince.
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 19:58:23 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob - That makes sense. I kept thinking 'Bob's burgers must cost a fortune!' :p
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 20:11:52 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petulant_Radish wrote:
    @wobbly_Bob nice one Bob! I'll definitely try that place...where do you stand on seasoning? Just salt when cooking, not in the patty?
    I used to season only the outside of the burger. The thinking is that salting the inside will draw out the moisture making for a dry burger. However, experimenting recently with it, my thinking is now that it is better to season inside the mix too and then on the outside because it results in more flavour.

If the patty isnt huge then it will cook in a few minuets so I don't think that would give it time to draw all the juices out. Also, as long as you season it and then you cook it immediately, I think it won't be a problem. My mind isn't 100 percent made on this though but that's my current thinking. Best to try both for yourself and then see how it turns out :-)

Also cook the burger like you would a steak. Use hardly any oil, very high heat pan till it's smoking, and then cook the burgers. If you cook it that way you get a nice crust and induce the maillard reaction which is what gives you flavour. Of course if you have a huge big fat quarter pounder or half pounder then you will have to have the heat a bit lower since it takes longer too cook and you don't want it to burn.
  • Petulant_Radish 16 Jul 2013 20:13:17 596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good advice, thanks again!
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 20:19:16 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Petulant_Radish wrote:
    Good advice, thanks again!
    No problem! Good luck in your burger quest!
  • monkehhh 16 Jul 2013 20:24:34 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    There is a burger in there somewhere..
  • wobbly_Bob 16 Jul 2013 21:10:48 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkehhh - I see you are a pickle monster too! :-D
  • monkehhh 16 Jul 2013 21:14:18 3,266 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    These bad boys - especially tasty after they've sat in the meat juice for a bit.
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 21:27:14 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoy pickles as well, but I don't want too much or it overpowers everything else.

monkehhh's burger has one too many pickles for my liking! :p
  • Petulant_Radish 16 Jul 2013 21:41:38 596 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pickles are to be deified! I'm going to make my own pink pickled onions soon, atop a burger they are wonderful...
  • ronuds 16 Jul 2013 21:49:33 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pickles are one of the few fixin's that goes with just about any sangwich!
  • Frogofdoom 18 Jul 2013 11:18:48 868 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wow subtle advertising there!
  • ronuds 18 Jul 2013 14:38:49 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Why the burger thread? Go shit up something else!
  • Toothball Moderator 18 Jul 2013 16:08:29 372 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That spammer might have been passable if he'd linked to his burger logo portfolio. Gone now though.
  • BinaryBob101 18 Jul 2013 16:27:02 22,277 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bob, do you normally rest your burgers for the same time as cooking too?

Beautiful tender beings.

• wobbly_Bob 18 Jul 2013 20:13:41 1,608 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 - I personally don't, though some advocate it. I experimented with it for awhile. I would most large meats, but I never found it made much of a difference with burger patties. I just cook 'em and serve 'em up!
  • BinaryBob101 19 Jul 2013 13:11:57 22,277 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah, I've never bothered, but I may try some stuff from your preferred supplier and try with and without resting to test the difference.

Beautiful tender beings.

• Page

of 39 First / Last