**Offical** Burger appreciation thread Page 7

• Page

of 45 First / Last

• gammonbanter 26 Feb 2012 22:27:57 1,499 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    American cheese is the only cheese that should go in a hamburger - the rest is too over powering. In n out looks incredible.

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• FWB 26 Feb 2012 22:39:01 44,593 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No. But I'll give you that American cheese should only ever go in a burger.
  • HermanTheTosser 26 Feb 2012 22:44:22 82 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I love burgers too.

I've eaten a few in my time from gourmet burgers in gastro pubs to sorry afairs from dodgy high street kebab shops. My favourites have to be TGI Fridays' Cheeseburger and Flames's quartepounder (Flames are located in Terminus Place at Victria station.)
  • LeoliansBro 26 Feb 2012 22:44:37 44,321 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Blue cheese.

Also, In and Out was bland and awful when I had it. I'll need to circle back for another helping, clearly.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mal 26 Feb 2012 22:45:17 22,582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've had lamb burgers with a chunk of brie on top. Too much brie if I'm honest, but it was still awesome.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• FWB 26 Feb 2012 22:46:45 44,593 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    No such thing as "too much brie". Even brie on top of brie on top of brie is not enough brie.
  • gammonbanter 26 Feb 2012 22:47:03 1,499 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Agreed - its vile anywhere else. Cant help but think of Homer eating 64 slices in the middle of tne night glols

We tried drinking a beer from every world cup nation http://worldcup2014beers.wordpress.com/

• FWB 26 Feb 2012 22:54:03 44,593 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like how they cal it "American" cheese too, instead of "processed" like the rest of us.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Feb 2012 22:54:32 1,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    What happened to Emma?! Did she need hospitalization? Did she get blood poisoning? Is she going to be okay? What's going to happen to her house? Can I have it?
    Emma is fine!

Hospitalization? No, but plasters were involved.

Blood poisioning? Nothing so far.

Is she going to be ok? Only time will tell, man.

lastly, she dosent own a house but if she did then i got mr first dibs but i will invite you all to a burger and booze party.

Slurmseh wrote:
    You had a crappy experience and you're looking forward to going back? Madness!

well as i said i loved the vibe and i have heard so much good about the place i want to give it a second shot. Maybe i just got 'em on a bad night. Although they do have other issues i feel they need.fixing. We will see :-)

gammonbanter wrote:
    American cheese is the only cheese that should go in a hamburger - the rest is too over powering. In n out looks incredible.

+1

so many burger places get this wrong here in the uk.

When i make burgers at home i use monteray jack or swiss cheese like gouda because it melts well and has a mild taste. But monteray jack is the king for a good burger!

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 23:00:55 26-02-2012
  • FWB 26 Feb 2012 22:55:42 44,593 posts
    Seen 47 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Glad to hear it. Though not happy about that house. Had my eye on it... if she owned one.
  • wobbly_Bob 26 Feb 2012 23:49:00 1,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Errr well spotted i was testing you. Sorry brain fart. Quite right, its dutch. Swiss cheese works well too tho :-)
  • Kid_Icarus 27 Feb 2012 00:07:43 555 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think there's such a thing as the wrong cheese to put in a burger, you just have to be careful not to put too much of the stronger ones in. Mature chedder is good in homemade burgers if you put a chunk in the centre of the burger. Melt in the middle. \o/

I had a burger the other day with emmental and salsa in it. It was a wonderful experience and a highly recommended combination.
  • Trafford 27 Feb 2012 00:13:47 5,792 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Visited a chain pub for lunch today. I did my usual trick of not being able to make up my mind on what to eat until I was stood at the bar ordering the food.
    "I'll have a Leaning Tower of Pizza burger please."
    Not good, a tomato and oregano paste with a couple of soggy onion rings slapped on top. Never again thanks.
  • simplerotation 27 Feb 2012 10:50:42 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I went to Meat Liquor again the other Friday night and it was superb, had the dead hippie, and was out of this world good, not greasy like the time before (I've definitely not had a try burger there) and the service was great despite it being 1am and really really fucking loud in there. Lovely chargrilled but pink inside flavour.
    The sharing portions are generous, you seem to get a lot of buffalo wings for a fiver and they are really tasty. I don't think you can get too much chilli on chilli-cheese fries, but that's just me :) Loved the fried pickles.

I think a lot of the whole burger debate basically comes down to what sort of meat patty you like, I like thin, crisp on the edge and rare, whereas some people like the meatloaf style, two-three inch thick patty like GBK does (I can't actually stand GBK, I think their burgers are bland and the fries disgusting). If you like GBK but hate Byron you'll probably not like meat liquor.
  • fergal_oc 27 Feb 2012 11:03:51 2,763 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you're ever around Soho there's two frankly fantastic places to get burgers.

One is Bodean's, which is a US style BBQ place. Their burgers are just lush but they do all sorts of other lovely meat based foods. Plus their fries are covered in the most lovely of seasoning.

The other is Kia Aina, lovely big juicy burgers, a bit more expensive than Bodean's but lovely all the same!
  • Razz 27 Feb 2012 12:23:34 61,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    If you like GBK but hate Byron you'll probably not like meat liquor.
    I love Meat Liqour. I prefer GBK to Byron simply becuase of the variety and price. I find Byron's burgers bland and the meat quality similar to GBK. For the price it doesn't seem worth it. Byron is more expensive than Meat Liquor! :D

Found an AMAZING new burger place called Haché in Clapham common
    http://www.hacheburgers.com/ourmenu.php
    Easily as good as Meat Liqour in terms of burger quality but a little more expensive. I had the Reblochan cheese burger! Was gorgeous!!! And the bun was made with Brioche! :o :o So tasty, reccommend it to all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Jono62 27 Feb 2012 12:45:44 14,128 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    looks good and is kind of close by. Will have a try sometime.
  • simplerotation 27 Feb 2012 12:59:35 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    simplerotation wrote:
    If you like GBK but hate Byron you'll probably not like meat liquor.
    I love Meat Liqour. I prefer GBK to Byron simply becuase of the variety and price. I find Byron's burgers bland and the meat quality similar to GBK. For the price it doesn't seem worth it. Byron is more expensive than Meat Liquor! :D

Found an AMAZING new burger place called Haché in Clapham common
    http://www.hacheburgers.com/ourmenu.php
    Easily as good as Meat Liqour in terms of burger quality but a little more expensive. I had the Reblochan cheese burger! Was gorgeous!!! And the bun was made with Brioche! :o :o So tasty, reccommend it to all.

Oooh Hache sounds good, I'll try it out.

I really don't know if I've had bag experiences or if it's GBK. The meat always tastes like a frozen iceland burger, and the chips are definitely just frozen chips, they're all powdery and weird inside. They do a good milkshake though! :)

I'm going to the new bar opening at hawksmoor next week (50% off food FTW!) now the Hawksmoor have a serious burger. MMMMM. The kimchi burger is fantastic. Kimchi Cult also do a fantastic korean/fusion burger if you're ever around the kings cross area at lunch time and go to eat.st

http://www.fifteenpickles.com/2011/07/29/three-burgers-at-hawksmoor-seven-dials/

Kimchi cult
    http://www.streetfoodie.com/sliders/
  • wobbly_Bob 27 Feb 2012 13:22:17 1,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    simplerotation wrote:
    I went to Meat Liquor again the other Friday night and it was superb, had the dead hippie, and was out of this world good, not greasy like the time before (I've definitely not had a try burger there) and the service was great despite it being 1am and really really fucking loud in there. Lovely chargrilled but pink inside flavour.
    The sharing portions are generous, you seem to get a lot of buffalo wings for a fiver and they are really tasty. I don't think you can get too much chilli on chilli-cheese fries, but that's just me :) Loved the fried pickles.

I think a lot of the whole burger debate basically comes down to what sort of meat patty you like, I like thin, crisp on the edge and rare, whereas some people like the meatloaf style, two-three inch thick patty like GBK does (I can't actually stand GBK, I think their burgers are bland and the

fries disgusting). If you like GBK but hate Byron you'll probably not like meat liquor.
    see that was the experience i read about but not what i got. The burger was dry, well done, cheese minimal and so was sauce. Hopefully next time i try the burger will be better. Hopefully next time :-)

The buffalo wing portion was ok for one but sharing size? No way. I wouldnt touch GBK but rate byron pretty good.

@fergal_oc - bodeans rocks, i have never thought of trying the burgers from them. I have been too obsessed with the ribs and other smoke house goodies. I will have to change that.

Hache burgers looks good. I have heard of it. Its on my list ;-)

Edited by wobbly_Bob at 13:32:49 27-02-2012
  • simplerotation 27 Feb 2012 14:13:31 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    BBQ wise then pittcue company behind Carnaby street is absolutely fantastic. There can be a bit of a queue, but once you get in the cocktails and food is all amazing. Brisket, pulled pork, the St.Louis ribs are all kinds of fabulous.
  • Razz 27 Feb 2012 14:41:43 61,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    burger pron

• Razz 27 Feb 2012 14:46:21 61,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago

• Jacksie66 27 Feb 2012 15:24:28 574 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Supermac's 5oz with bacon and cheese..
    A godly burger (if you're in Ireland).
  • TechnoHippy 27 Feb 2012 16:02:50 14,718 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Goddam this thread makes me hungry :-|

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• megastar 27 Feb 2012 16:09:59 17,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    this thread is FILTHY!!!!

/grunts while thrusting
  • Razz 27 Feb 2012 16:13:37 61,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I WANT A F&*@ING BURGER

• simplerotation 27 Feb 2012 16:17:59 332 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    So I agree somewhat with Kua Aina (or however it's spelled), I ate one a few weeks ago and it was pleasantly moist and a bit more than medium rare, the fries were lovely actually and the bun was sublime brioche with poppy seeds, but I didn't get enough flavour from the meat, on the plus side, there was no one in there and it was super cheap. I got some sort of pickled chilli in it and that was lush.

Mother flipper is a new burger stall doing the rounds, and there's a review of it here - http://youngandfoodish.com/burgers/holy-mother-flipper-look-at-that-burger/ looks like an original Meat Wagon (What is now meat liquor) clone, not that that's a bad thing,and the addition of candied bacon could be interesting.
  • Deleted user 27 February 2012 17:46:01
    Be wary, kids. You fetishise the burgers today, tomorrow you will be middle-aged, middle-class, and fetishing the bread.

"You really must try the organic Aberdeen Angus burgers with the focaccia. Oh, you really must. It's a good thing we have rocket growing in the garden... we can't stand the bagged stuff."
  • Page

of 45 First / Last