Okami goes on for too long (possible spoilers)

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Santino 28 Jun 2008 22:44:57 399 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    for the most part the game is great, but i wish it finished after beating ninetails instead of shifting the goalposts to make you play on. I really thought the game finished with a satisfying end, only to be left feeling like it was an anti-climax when told to head north, shame. Thoughts?
  • lost_soul 28 Jun 2008 23:03:15 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the Northern part of the game - better than the middle third, possibly.

To be honest, if the game had ended at around the 10 hour mark, I'd have been satisfied with it.
  • neilka 28 Jun 2008 23:06:46 15,871 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As good as it is, by the time it makes you fight all of the bosses again it's really outstayed its welcome...

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• lost_soul 28 Jun 2008 23:13:56 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd agree with that; the last bit did suck.
  • ecureuil 28 Jun 2008 23:22:24 76,738 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loved it all, personally. The northern part was especially good, it was a really nice looking area.
  • HiddenAway 28 Jun 2008 23:46:32 14,877 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved the last third of the game. Especially the music (though TBH, I didn't realise how good it was until I listened to the official soundtrack)

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• kalel 28 Jun 2008 23:56:04 87,180 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'd agree it goes on too long. It's not so much the length but the pacing, it just feels like it should end much sooner than it does. The constant false endings don't help.
  • FooAtari 29 Jun 2008 00:10:48 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Have not played it myself, but it really must have annoyed to make a thread about it. Dont see you posting on the forum much.
  • Sean.Aaron 16 Mar 2009 07:49:21 2,531 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I was already considering abandoning this game due to the fact that the devs made the classic stupid decision to map attack to wiimote wave (why not use that for dig or jump?), but there's no way in hell I'm putting up with an artificial game lengthening by re-fighting past bosses. I gave up on Viewtiful Joe (also Capcom, oddly enough) due to that and didn't like it in Metroid Prime 3.

The game is beautiful in presentation, no argument there, but in the mere two hours I've played it, I was already hoping not to have more combat because it felt so badly implemented. Given that I get in about an hour (two if I'm lucky) per evening for gaming, I cannot see putting two month's of play into this if it's going to pull something cheap like rehashing past battles to make things feel "epic."

Capcom got my money, so I've supported "hardcore" gaming or whatever; I guess I'll have to be more judicious in my research in future before throwing down for an "instant classics."
  • paul_haine 16 Mar 2009 08:19:48 4,205 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Santino wrote:
    for the most part the game is great, but i wish it finished after beating ninetails instead of shifting the goalposts to make you play on. I really thought the game finished with a satisfying end, only to be left feeling like it was an anti-climax when told to head north, shame. Thoughts?

Completely agree, after the first Ninetails battle I felt like I'd had a good game, about 15 hours long, just about right. Then it just went on, and on, and on. Having to fight Nintetails THREE TIMES is ridiculous, particularly as it's the same fight each time, despite the game telling you how "this time he is at full strength".

Also, I ended up skipping a lot of the dialogue and cut scenes as they really got on my nerves after a while. They just went on, and on, and on...
  • wonk 16 Mar 2009 16:23:09 367 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    For my money I really liked the final northern section and didn't feel the game dragged on, in fact I really didn't want it to end. I agree that it could have been shortened a bit but I would have chopped some of the first part that was a bit slow moving for my taste and I think that the first 5 hours pacing is what turns a fair few people off.

@Sean: This breaks my heart, I just can't agree about your comments about the combat. I accept your point about the basic attack being mapped to shaking the remote (it doesn't bother me as it is sensitive enough to only require a small movement) but as you learn the various celestial brush techniques and acquire the advanced weapons it quickly becomes a thoroughly entertaining battle system, far better than other "adventure" games I have played recently including BG&E and TP. Obviously the combat system is not the key element in a game like this, that is the story, and it is for this that you should persist, it really is wonderful.
  • Deleted user 16 March 2009 16:33:41
    God damn block heads. Game went on for far too long. What is the bloody island called with all those challenges? Deary me.
  • YoshiMcTaggis 16 Mar 2009 16:44:11 3,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The game was the perfect length. I started this fully expecting to hate this (all the fanboy frothing had turned me off it a bit, but my 360 was RRODed so I tried it out) but it's great. The combat isn't the usual Wii Waggle (TM) mess, it actually requires timing.

The story was great and really left me wanting more. I mean, it was only about 20 hours long - that's not massive for a game of this type.
  • Tiger_Walts 16 Mar 2009 16:51:14 16,587 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    N@ wrote:
    God damn block heads. Game went on for far too long. What is the bloody island called with all those challenges? Deary me.

Oni Island. I quite liked that section.

Oddly, this is one game that would have benefited by being chopped into episodic downloads.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Spanky 16 Mar 2009 16:57:04 14,481 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I could happily have played okami forever, it had it's problems(dialogue for-fuckin-ever). But whining on about the length of it when it varied so much is getting into the realms of cunt?. I'd love to see a sequel or a spiritual successor, it'd be a system seller for me.

Plubs

• Santino 16 Mar 2009 17:01:58 399 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wow this got bumped out of the blue!

i love long games, i wouldn't have minded playing it for longer if they didn't keep shifting the goalposts like i mentioned when starting this thread. it's been a while but i think it was 2 times they built up a final boss fight before making you do more stuff again, i remember that being really annoying and so i just stopped playing, where i thought the game should have ended.
  • YoshiMcTaggis 16 Mar 2009 17:09:15 3,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The whole "shifting the goalposts" thing is a fair point, they did do that a lot in Okami. I liked that, though, as it meant it wasn't over yet!

However, removing the credits was fucking retarded.
  • Burkey123 16 Mar 2009 17:12:27 382 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game is fantastic. But I will echo the complaints about fighting the eight headed dragon 3 times.
    One of the best soundtracks ever in a game.
    I didn't want this game to end. I loved feeding all the animals as well which added even more length.
  • wonk 16 Mar 2009 17:13:29 367 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Indeed, I jumped straight on youtube and watched them once I was finished.
  • JetSetWilly 16 Mar 2009 18:04:17 5,721 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    YoshiMcTaggis wrote:
    The story was great and really left me wanting more. I mean, it was only about 20 hours long - that's not massive for a game of this type.

You got through it in 20 hours? Jaysus, that qualifies as a speed-run of this game!

Orochi had eight heads btw folks :-)
  • Burkey123 16 Mar 2009 18:06:36 382 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ''Orochi had eight heads btw folks :-)''

Oops!My bad.

/ fixes original post
  • YoshiMcTaggis 16 Mar 2009 18:09:04 3,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I did it in about 22 hours - I confess I did have 2 weeks off work, so it could be considered "exceptional circumstances".
  • Burkey123 16 Mar 2009 18:15:33 382 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This game took me around 35 hours and I played it for an extra 5 or 6 hours, feeding all animals, etc.
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Mar 2009 00:14:40 2,531 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    wonk wrote:Obviously the combat system is not the key element in a game like this, that is the story, and it is for this that you should persist, it really is wonderful.

I would, but for the fact that there's boss battle repetition. I really have a low threshold for that in lengthy action games. I'd sooner play a turn-based RPG like Fire Emblem (which I got in post today) for 100+ hours than a 20hr. action title that is padded out by several hours to make it feel the right length or whatever. It's like fighting the dragon in Metroid twice (Ridley and Meta Ridley or whatever) -- lazy-ass crap.

As far as combat goes, from what others are saying it's a timing issue I guess, though there's no clue that's the case since I didn't have timing issues when smashing clay pots or horses. If the combat was entirely brush-based I think that would have been a better decision.
  • figaro7 17 Mar 2009 01:24:46 1,362 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Golden rules of making a game, dont put a repeat boss fight in a video game, it pisses gamers off. I honestly thought i was close to finishing the game first time i fought that 8 headed dragon dude. Other than that it was a fantastic game!
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 Mar 2009 03:26:33 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    wonk wrote:Obviously the combat system is not the key element in a game like this, that is the story, and it is for this that you should persist, it really is wonderful.

I would, but for the fact that there's boss battle repetition. I really have a low threshold for that in lengthy action games. I'd sooner play a turn-based RPG like Fire Emblem (which I got in post today) for 100+ hours than a 20hr. action title that is padded out by several hours to make it feel the right length or whatever. It's like fighting the dragon in Metroid twice (Ridley and Meta Ridley or whatever) -- lazy-ass crap.
    You don't really know what it's like in Okami as you didn't really try it. The boss battle repetition is not even 0.1% of Okami. It's so minuscular compared to the whole rest of the game... Some games take teh skillz to be played properly. Some games take mates to be played in multiplayer. Some other games (like jRPGs) take plenty of time to be finished and time should be your only concern when you are making your mind whether to play Okami or not. It's easily 80+ hours rather than 20 hours long and yes, I finished it and wouldn't say it was dragged by cheap means. This game is frigging huge and as rich in storytelling as any jRPG. On top of that, it's fun to play (and not repetitive).
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Mar 2009 03:57:08 2,531 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Even if "not even 0.1%" of the game is this:

it makes you fight all of the bosses again

it's too much. If "bosses" meant one, then I might give it another go, but I'm not putting in two dozen or more hours to be confronted with re-fighting a string of them, no way. I don't find the 3D action platformer to be as much fun as the turn-based RPG to sink that kind of time in. I already know that if I was to play this game further it would be a one-off, whereas a game like Fire Emblem I can play multiple times because I just enjoy the gameplay.

I would really need someone to state in more detail how many re-tread boss fights we're talking about here: is it just Orochi? If it's Orochi and a half-dozen minions, I'm not doing it, sorry.
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 Mar 2009 04:21:46 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    Even if "not even 0.1%" of the game is this:

it makes you fight all of the bosses again

it's too much. If "bosses" meant one, then I might give it another go, but I'm not putting in two dozen or more hours to be confronted with re-fighting a string of them, no way. I don't find the 3D action platformer to be as much fun as the turn-based RPG to sink that kind of time in. I already know that if I was to play this game further it would be a one-off, whereas a game like Fire Emblem I can play multiple times because I just enjoy the gameplay.

I would really need someone to state in more detail how many re-tread boss fights we're talking about here: is it just Orochi? If it's Orochi and a half-dozen minions, I'm not doing it, sorry.

Hell, If you don't enjoy the game that much and consider playing it just because, dunno, you feel somehow obliged to, then I have no words. Of course enjoying the gameplay is essential. I can only say Okami is more of an adventure game than any other genre.
    Here's the deal: from some point you can explore the world further as much as you like, or you can reach the point of no return. It's clearly stated. Beyond the point of no return you have to, essentially, fight several (less than ten I believe) bosses you fought before in any order you want. THEY ARE PISS-EASY and you can save (and buy some stuff) between the fights. Then you have to fight an ultimate boss (which is also no sweat, really). I mean, these boss fights are just conditions you have to meet to see the ending of the story and the credits, whenever you decide you've seen enough of a game. I suppose two hours should be enough for the whole goddamned thing. It really is just a feature.
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 Mar 2009 04:40:59 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disc wrote:
    It is mindnumbingly boring to play fights where you have already worked out the weak points. It's just a waste of time.
    Finishing Okami took me months. Beating the boss once again after a couple of months is okay with me. Okami isn't exactly the best game to beat as fast as you can.
  • Obiwanshinobi 17 Mar 2009 04:50:56 866 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okami didn't bore me.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous