QTE's Enough already.....Just stop (press left mouse button NOW) Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• L42yB 27 Jun 2008 10:09:38 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Look, Fluffy Chalk and Filthy Cheese works a little better than Flithy Chalk and Fluffy Cheese...
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:11:02 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Who told you that, that's bollucks, you challenge my honour sir

/draws sword

You fight like a dairy farmer...
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 10:15:31 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If anyone's being cheese, I claim that particular moniker... ;o)
  • L42yB 27 Jun 2008 10:15:57 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheesy Flith Chalk Tucker?
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:16:44 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Filthy Cheese and Catflap

:D

I love it. BBC, are you reading this!?!?
  • monkie_king 27 Jun 2008 10:16:53 984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    FluffyTucker wrote:

/draws sword

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 10:17:52 61,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cheese fury

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 10:20:58 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There are no words for how disgusting you are.
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:21:20 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkie_king wrote:
    FluffyTucker wrote:

/draws sword

How appropriate, you fight like a cow!

:o

/moves backwards

Soon you'll be wearing my sword like a shish kebab!
  • FixedInfinity 27 Jun 2008 10:24:27 1,682 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I did first think QTE's would just be a design fad that would slowly drop out of games, same as Bullet Time etc.
    But now I'm not so sure.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 10:31:10 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

/moves backwards

First you'd better stop waving it like a feather-duster...?
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:32:55 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:

/moves backwards

First you'd better stop waving it like a feather-duster...?

/is beaten

:(
  • monkie_king 27 Jun 2008 10:35:14 984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Cutscenes are bullshit, it's why I don't play conslol games anymore.
    Seriously? We must be completely different gamers. I love cutscenes as much as the game itself, they're what keeps me pressing forward. The reward of the next cutscene is always what keeps me playing "just five minutes more" which then turns into thirty (or an hour if I played MGS of course! :D)

I was actually going to make a thread about this a couple of weeks back, spurred by reading MGS4 threads in the forum and seeing that basically everyone is just banging on about the story. For me, the piss-poor writing and sheer quantity of cutscenes in MGS4 actually puts me off ever wanting to play it. I don't "get" JRPGs either -- my impression of them is that they're differentiated mainly by the details of the spiky-hair emo storylines.

So while some people seem to play games because of their stories, I just want to be told which people to shoot at and what the objective is. For instance, GTA pisses me off with its cutscenes -- I don't want to watch 3 minutes of generic gangster dialog before each mission, just stick the icon on the map and let me get on with it. If I wanted to sit through a substandard crime drama I'd be watching ITV1.

Not sure the Half Life 2 approach works either. You end up with these very obvious "briefing" sections where some Basil Exposition character reels off a load of backstory while you wander round climbing on tables and zooming in on Alyx's arse. That breaks immersion probably more than a standard cutscene.

I don't mind something like God of War or Sands of Time tbh, just the odd 30 second clips to frame the gameplay. It did help that SoT had probably the best written story ever featured in a game, GoW wasn't too shoddy either.
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 10:38:40 61,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    ;_;

• w00t 27 Jun 2008 10:55:42 11,109 posts
    Seen 38 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    L42yB wrote:
    Cutscenes can make a game...

Any of you remember "Armed and Dangerous"? Those were some of the funniest cutscenes I've ever seen in a game :) I think the game would have been a mediocre peice of crap without the cutscenes, but with them it was legendary (IMO)
    You do have a point there.

Intro
    Playlist with them all. I recommend number 3.

The day charity died - NEVER FORGET

(the mic was OK in the end)

• thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:57:11 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite cutscenes are the ends of JRPGs. They're always bloody cheesy but they sure do make you smile.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 10:57:38 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    ;_;
    Oh come now, Razz! The correct response is "Yes there are. You just never learned them"

Now get back to playing through all Monkey Island games ;o)
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 11:01:09 61,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    monkie_king wrote:
    Not sure the Half Life 2 approach works either. You end up with these very obvious "briefing" sections where some Basil Exposition character reels off a load of backstory while you wander round climbing on tables and zooming in on Alyx's arse. That breaks immersion probably more than a standard cutscene.
    I don't agree with this at all. For me it was a step forward for cutscenes. Either you could stand there and listen or you could walk around and do your own thing. The narrative is played out while you play the game, for me HL2 was a brilliant example of interactive story telling.

• Razz 27 Jun 2008 11:02:24 61,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    ;_;
    Oh come now, Razz! The correct response is "Yes there are. You just never learned them"

Now get back to playing through all Monkey Island games ;o)
    I've spoken with apes more polite then you.

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 11:04:57 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion ;o)
  • mercer 27 Jun 2008 11:05:10 152 posts
    Registered 11 years ago
    JonFE wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    However Dragon's lair was the first game to use a QTE like design.

Without the on-screen prompts though, which is the main reason it cost me a fortune as a teenager (trial an' error FTL). Loved every moment of it :)

+1. Space Ace was even worse because it wasn't divided into rooms - it was just a relentless memory challenge! I remember the first time I managed to actually complete it, the adrenaline pumping, close to sheer panic, brain saying "Ohgodohgodohgoddon'tfuckituppleeeeease".
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 11:05:39 10,856 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    monkie_king wrote:
    I don't agree with this at all. For me it was a step forward for cutscenes. Either you could stand there and listen or you could walk around and do your own thing. The narrative is played out while you play the game, for me HL2 was a brilliant example of interactive story telling.
    QFT
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 11:06:10 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    monkie_king wrote:

I'm with monkie_king I'm afraid. As much as I love Half Life 2 (and I do believe this approach worked in the game) I sometimes did find myself wandering around and generally dicking about smashing boxes/ogling Alex/not paying attention. The way the HL story is told though, it was the correct choice.
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 11:08:37 61,201 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Razz wrote:
    I'm glad to hear you attended your family reunion ;o)
    BOOM! Headshot! :D

• DUFFMAN5 26 Jan 2009 08:32:29 14,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Started playing Jerico last night (don't judge me!) and I find qt fooking e's
    We need to get a master list up to warn players to stay away, to thatend I will start.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Whizzo 26 Jan 2009 08:33:51 43,124 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It'd probably be quicker to list action games that don't have QTEs these days, they're everywhere.

This space left intentionally blank.

• ecureuil 26 Jan 2009 09:12:53 76,809 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least Tomb Raider did the right thing and ditched them. They were replaced with brief slow-mo sections which were much better.
  • thefilthandthefury 26 Jan 2009 09:21:34 25,018 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I'll always defend them. Shenmue would be half the game without the QTE's. Fantastic idea that perfectly balances interactivity and cutscenes.

EDIT: Just realised this is the same thread I posted in last year :D
  • Widge Moderator 26 Jan 2009 10:11:44 13,565 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    monkie_king wrote:

I'm with monkie_king I'm afraid. As much as I love Half Life 2 (and I do believe this approach worked in the game) I sometimes did find myself wandering around and generally dicking about smashing boxes/ogling Alex/not paying attention. The way the HL story is told though, it was the correct choice.

Yeah, I found HL2 to have the least immersive story of any game I've played. I prefer to have a properly directed cinematic. I can understand why people have the "its a game and I don't need this" viewpoint, but I'm from the other end of the spectrum and it doesn't mean that I don't find it fun or I'm not a gamer either. Not to say either way is 'right' though.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• GreyScale 26 Jan 2009 10:14:11 392 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The recent Prince of Persia game. Not content with replacing every single aspect of movement with three buttons for 'jump' 'grab' and 'magic' to the point where you can pretty much play the game with your eyes closed, they reduced combat to a series of QTE button presses.

Whats that you say developer, get the player to use a degree of genuine skill and guile in combat? Naah mate, just tap a randomly selected button to resolve the situation.

If anyone is looking for the very essence of the phrase 'dumbing down', fire this game up and fill your boots...
  • Page

of 5 First / Last