QTE's Enough already.....Just stop (press left mouse button NOW) Page 5

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Next
  • MatMan562 12 Jan 2013 12:54:15 2,522 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's fair enough, they are definately overused unnecessarily.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Metalfish 12 Jan 2013 13:23:47 8,849 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QTEs are a symptom of developers lacking imagination/ability/time (it's probably that last one, to be fair to them) to include context sensitive interaction. Having to hammer "the melee button" to finish off an attacker is ok by me, if this is at some point explained.

Having a big "press this, you spacker" prompt come up makes me feel like a chimp in a skinner box.
  • King_Edward 12 Jan 2013 13:37:53 11,460 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There are some good ones. Walking Dead and Asura's Wrath were two of my faves from last year, and both were very QTE heavy.

They are everywhere at the moment though, and usually awful. They get wedged into cutscenes to simulate interactivity.

Edited by King_Edward at 13:39:06 12-01-2013
  • agparrot 12 Jan 2013 13:46:59 11,903 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @bad09 Sorry, I can't let you use that image of Bop-it without also going back to the Daddy:

I don't really like QTEs, they do seem to grate a little more with me each time I encounter them, but as King_Edward says, they make up quite a lot of the 'interactive' in things like Walking Dead and it doesn't seem so bad.

As the early days of this thread suggested though, it's more annoying when the game alreadyhas its own control system, and that is taken away for the benefit of a slightly more interactive cutscene.

Edited by agparrot at 13:49:02 12-01-2013
  • bad09 12 Jan 2013 14:11:31 6,060 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @agparrot

:) I was gonna use a pic of the the daddy but decided on something more modern

Edited by bad09 at 14:14:41 12-01-2013
  • mal 12 Jan 2013 15:50:16 22,727 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm hopeless at QTEs. It's been ingrained in me that when a cut scene starts up you can pretty much switch off, so when that first prompt comes up I'm flustered and usually late or hit the wrong button. Do any games have a 'QTE incoming' notification?

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• danathjo 12 Jan 2013 16:14:02 7,451 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    final fantasy xiii-2 does, which is a good thing as there is a lot of cut scenes
  • PenguinJim 12 Jan 2013 16:17:04 5,921 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    FFXIII-2 does.

Edit: took me a long time to ponder that reply.

Edited by PenguinJim at 16:17:24 12-01-2013
  • puddleduck 12 Jan 2013 16:19:04 1,854 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @mal

I'm the same ha. Cut scene used to always mean start rolling a joint or relax for a second and have a drink :p
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jan 2014 06:53:01 15,050 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    A bump for djflex ;-)

...I started this thread 6 years ago...and yet we still have the cunting things.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Mola_Ram 1 Jan 2014 07:15:00 7,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I don't mind them when they're outside of cutscenes. Like, in boss fights, where if he uses a grab attack, you can mash buttons or do something to break out of it, and failing just damages you.

But instadeath ones can fuck right off.
  • drip 1 Jan 2014 08:07:00 4,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I hate QTE's especially in-game. I want to beat an enemy through skill, not by pressing the button displayed on screen. What sort of gameplay is that?

Makes me feel like a monkey in those scientific intelligence tests.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Jan 2014 08:16:06 7,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If you see a boss charging up a big swing, generally what you'd do in a regular is press an evade button, or something to get out of the way. Is that acceptable? It requires reflexes, same as a QTE.
  • GuiltySpark 1 Jan 2014 08:33:53 6,439 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Evade is part of the game mechanic, the game at least credits you with the ability to see that the uber hammer smash is charging up, and to evade it. If you don't do it the first time, you'll think, "Ah, I need to evade!".

It's the most basic a game gets, but it's rewarding on that very, very base level regardless.

Get bent.

• drip 1 Jan 2014 09:00:21 4,342 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Evading is you controlling your character, getting the timing right and evading in a manner that actually avoids being hit. It can also include evading in a way to put yourself in a favourable position for a counter-attack, and all that needs some experience and skill in the particular game. The game telling me "press A to evade" removes that whole thing and narrows down the action to one pre-defined by the game, and pressing it quickly enough always results in the same successful outcome. It just stops being an actual game there for me, and crosses the line to interactive movie.

God of War 1 was such a thing. On one hand I loved the game, but large parts of boss fights becoming pre-defined scenes with an alibi interaction annoyed me back then already, despite the spectacle.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 09:02:27 01-01-2014
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Jan 2014 09:01:27 8,411 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dislike instant death QTEs but that is more the instant death bit than the QTE.

In Asura's Wrath it does not really matter if you get the QTE's right, they just make it look more impressive when you do. Also with Heavy Rain you need to fuck up a few times to fail. For me QTEs are fine when implemented like this.

With Tomb Raider the action is paused and if you fail you die and have to repeat everything. It looked cinematic the first couple of times but was quickly overused and became very annoying long before the end of the game.
  • JiveHound 1 Jan 2014 10:09:30 2,561 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Couldn't have said it better myself. QTEs are a scourge and need to go.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• OptimusPube 1 Jan 2014 10:20:17 3,174 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I'll take QTE's over the old days of joystick waggle any day.

Danny MacAskill gives me a boner

• Mola_Ram 1 Jan 2014 11:25:44 7,770 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The point of them is to let the player perform actions that aren't replicable by the control scheme. Though they are often done badly, I think it's also possible to do them well.

I've not minded them in Saints Row 4, for example. And the little QTE to hijack helicopters and cars in Just Cause 2 adds a little something to the process, making it a little tenser and more difficult, but not *too* difficult.
  • FuzzyDuck 1 Jan 2014 13:58:21 4,451 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Asura's Wrath is one of the worst "games" I've ever played. The entire thing is a QTE.
  • ecu 1 Jan 2014 14:04:59 77,098 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    A bump for djflex ;-)

...I started this thread 6 years ago...and yet we still have the cunting things.
    Far far less though, and they're much easier now, and forgettable. Apparently Tomb Raider had them, I don't really remember.
  • Darth_Flibble 1 Jan 2014 14:46:41 1,736 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Difference between a QTE in a boss fight and you eg dodging a boss attack is you doing it takes skill and timing not some "press A right now you dumb chimp or you die until you get it right"

Have to agree with the "QTEs are a symptom of developers lacking imagination/ability/time" while QTE events are not as common, the bash A button like a monkey is. That takes even less skill than a QTE like in res evil 4
  • Deleted user 1 January 2014 14:57:36
    Depends how they're handled for me. In Shenmue they made senses -punch button the same for both QTE and in game for example.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Next