QTE's Enough already.....Just stop (press left mouse button NOW)

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2008 07:49:45 14,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Good Morning
    If any game developers read this forum, which I'm sure they do......
    Enough of these fookin button pressing/speed sensitive cop-outs. I hate them
    If you feel the need to include, have an option to turn off in main menu. It doesn't make the game more immersive if anything it breaks it up.

I looking at you,Fahrenheit/Resi 4/Bourne/GOD/Viking/Conan...enough already.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Peew971 27 Jun 2008 07:53:45 4,753 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought it was nicely done in Fahrenheit, agree with the rest.
  • Deleted user 27 June 2008 08:12:33
    Completely agree. I played through GoW 2 and Resi 4 earlier in the year and came away thinking they could be much better without the QTE's. Not that they're particularly difficult, just really basic.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2008 08:23:28 14,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saturn_Ascends wrote:
    Completely agree. I played through GoW 2 and Resi 4 earlier in the year and came away thinking they could be much better without the QTE's. Not that they're particularly difficult, just really basic.

I always get fucked up by pressing the wrong button (pressure). This is for 2 reasons one I get confused to which pad I'm holding the other is because I'm confused.

• Chopsen 27 Jun 2008 08:28:01 15,967 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fahrenheit without QTE would have been like watching a film though. A really bad film that goes a bit mental half way through.

Slight derailment, but is Fahrenheit the only game where you get to see a character's muff? Cheats, cracks and patches don't count.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jun 2008 08:32:43 14,666 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    Slight derailment, but is Fahrenheit the only game where you get to see a character's muff? Cheats, cracks and patches don't count.

I missed that particular qte! could you reach all the buttons to press with one hand ?

now back to point in discussion if you don't mind Mr Chopsen

• thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 08:52:29 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think we need more of them and I'm not just saying that to argue. They add a whole new level of interactivity to the cutscenes. Shenmue wouldn't be the same without them.
  • L42yB 27 Jun 2008 08:54:01 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    QTE can be used nicely. Yes I am referring to Shenmue ;)
  • Chopsen 27 Jun 2008 08:54:14 15,967 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I think we need more of them and I'm not just saying that to argue. They add a whole new level of interactivity to the cutscenes. Shenmue wouldn't be the same without them.

You talking about games with muff in them or QTE? Or both?
  • Pirotic Moderator 27 Jun 2008 08:56:36 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or you could just ditch cutscenes all together. They made sense back in the era where in-game graphics couldn't do some scenes justice and so a good splash of FMV here and there was beneificial, but these days it's just bloody tiring, most cutscenes are in game and with a bit of good design you shouldn't ever need to take control off the player.

MGS4 is a prime example of backwards design, touch the joypad for a second or two, followed by watching 20 mins of cutscenes. It's like a modern day dragons lair.

Bioshock had it right, events happened around the player. If you wanted to pay attention to them or just run along with things was upto you. better than 'press X now to avoid big daddy drill' pish.
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 09:01:28 10,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pirotic wrote:
    Or you could just ditch cutscenes all together.
    Funnily enough, I was chatting to a mate about this very same subject last night, him having recently sat through the inordinately long MGS4 cutscenes.

Bioshock (and by the same merit System Shock 2) is a perfect example of driving the narrative but keeping things interactive. QTEs are the half-way house where direct control would not be suitable.

A recent foul-player was Stranglehold which had you pulling off mundaine moves in suitable John Woo fashion but kept the flashiest, bestest bits to the cutscenes, which left you wishing that you had some control over what was happening.
  • Chopsen 27 Jun 2008 09:01:36 15,967 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I actually don't remember any QTE in Bioshock. I'm sure you're right, I think I was just not paying attention.

The main problem I have with QTE is that you have to concentrate so much on keeping an eye out for which button to press you can't actually watch the cut scene properly. I actually really LIKE watching the cut scenes, dammit!
  • Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 27 Jun 2008 09:02:48 10,856 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    I actually don't remember any QTE in Bioshock. I'm sure you're right, I think I was just not paying attention.
    This is what Pirotic was getting at. There are no QTEs, you're always in control of what is happening when the storyline is being pushed along.
  • Chopsen 27 Jun 2008 09:05:05 15,967 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, ok.

I wouldn't want to see the end of cut scenes. There an strange kind of reward in reaching a point that triggers a cut scene. It's like the treat that comes out of the machine if the mouse presses the level correctly....er...if you know what I mean.
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 09:05:32 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chopsen wrote:
    thefilthandthefury wrote:

You talking about games with muff in them or QTE? Or both?

Oh both, definitely!

Also, I don't see why we would want to do away with cutscenes. They're one of the main reasons I play the damn games! They're my reward for my hard work but I'd like a small level of interactivity. Shenmue shows the world how it should be done!

I don't like it when you still have control in cutscenes. I end up pissing around and jumping all over the place, paying no attention.
  • nickthegun 27 Jun 2008 09:11:02 59,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    By the looks of it, if there werent QTEs in Bourne, the game would be 4 minutes long.

I loved the QTEs in Die Hard, though. The first ones I can really remember.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• mrharvest 27 Jun 2008 09:40:55 5,197 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My problem with QTEs is that there's no way to anticipate them and the button presses don't correlate with what's happening on the screen. I feel no reward pressing a button when the game tells you what button to press. It's like having your cutscenes interrupted by a tutorial level that won't allow you to progress until you do as it says. How is this interactivity when you actually can't affect the outcome at all?
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 09:43:37 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole point of them is that you can't anticipate them, that's the fun of the QTE. You know a game contains them, so it keeps you on your toes and keeps you paying attention and adds interactivity to cutscenes without being 'too much'.

QTE's, when do well, do change the outcome. They do in Shenmue, to a degree.
  • L42yB 27 Jun 2008 09:44:01 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    *ahem*

Shenmue

Anyone who tries to say that QTE (and cutscenes) suck has either forgotton this game (and it's amazing sequel) or never played it. I think it was used perfectly in that, and the story was epic :)

/wishes for the final part of the trilogy
    /knows it isn't coming...

EDIT: Like filth says :)
  • magicpanda 27 Jun 2008 09:45:33 13,362 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RE4 on the Wii pulled it off better than most. I though they were rather good but then franticly air wanking is better than pressing button combos.
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 09:47:39 61,200 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    L42yB wrote:
    *ahem*

Shenmue

Anyone who tries to say that QTE (and cutscenes) suck has either forgotton this game (and it's amazing sequel) or never played it. I think it was used perfectly in that, and the story was epic :)

/wishes for the final part of the trilogy
    /knows it isn't coming...
    No one has forgotten. Most people just se Shenmue as the natural home for QTE. Iirc it's where the ackronym came from. However Dragonslair was the first game to use a QTE like design.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• L42yB 27 Jun 2008 09:49:13 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fair enough, just proves that it can be used really effectively. Just because other designers have sucked at implementing it doesn't mean the concept sucks :)

It just needs some love :)
  • Deleted user 27 June 2008 09:49:24
    G`lol @ thread title.

:)
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 09:50:20 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    FluffyTucker wrote:
    Cutscenes are bullshit, it's why I don't play conslol games anymore.
    Seriously? We must be completely different gamers. I love cutscenes as much as the game itself, they're what keeps me pressing forward. The reward of the next cutscene is always what keeps me playing "just five minutes more" which then turns into thirty (or an hour if I played MGS of course! :D)
  • Razz 27 Jun 2008 09:59:10 61,200 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't mind the cutscenes in GTA but I generally find cutscenes an annoying way of conveying narrative. Games are supposed to be interactive media. I hate being a passive observaer. QTEs are a way to bridge that gap but imo you shouldn't need cutscenes at all. These are games not films ffs.

Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856

• Big-Swiss 27 Jun 2008 09:59:35 8,087 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    QTE?
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:02:30 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The whole reason I play games is for the story :(
  • JonFE 27 Jun 2008 10:03:57 1,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Razz wrote:
    However Dragon's lair was the first game to use a QTE like design.

Without the on-screen prompts though, which is the main reason it cost me a fortune as a teenager (trial an' error FTL). Loved every moment of it :)
  • L42yB 27 Jun 2008 10:06:43 1,673 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cutscenes can make a game...

Any of you remember "Armed and Dangerous"? Those were some of the funniest cutscenes I've ever seen in a game :) I think the game would have been a mediocre peice of crap without the cutscenes, but with them it was legendary (IMO)
  • thefilthandthefury 27 Jun 2008 10:06:51 25,017 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Aww no, I get to be cheese! I'm a cheese addict.

Plus I heard you like to rub chalk on yourself as you game.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous