PS3 RPGs Page 2

• Page

of 4 First / Last

• Xerx3s 15 Jun 2008 13:42:22 23,944 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Oblivion is fine if you completely lack ambition and don't mind thoroughly derivative and repetitive scenery.

Patrick Stewart is in it, but he dies right at the start. I'd say pass.

At least it's better than those jrpg's mentioned above. That has to count for something.
  • Cappy 15 Jun 2008 14:21:35 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MadMirko wrote:
    So, I'm not sure Microsoft had to pay for Vesperia, it's possible, but it could just be an attempt at the bigger markets. It could also be like with SO4 where the producer said something along the lines of "when we started developing, the 360 was the only console available", a headstart paying off?

A little from column A and a little from column B most likely. The 360 being the only HD console available for a year doesn't entirely explain the near total absence of support for the PS3 from key publishers.

Are you really surprised that Valkyria Chronicles is the only PS3 RPG type title to do well? There have been practically no releases of that sort aside from Disgaea 3, the rest have been minor releases without much marketing muscle behind them.
  • Sweetiecheeks 19 Feb 2009 21:28:15 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hello.. this is my first post on Eurogamer. :-)

I've been reading ur threads but noticed that all has been quiet recently. I'm desperately trying to find a turn based rpg for the PS3... does anyone have any ideas? I love FF7 (who doesn't?) and FFX, FFX-2. I've been looking for ages now and can't find anything. I'm so fed up with real time rpgs.. can anyone help me?

I read in previous messages that Steambot Chronicles 2 might be an option, albeit not the best looking??

I was thinking of buying enchanted arms now that it is out for PS3?? Any good? I'd prefer (as I expect to put in 40 hours plus) one with trophies, but I'm getting desperate so any ideas welcome!!!!!!
  • Cappy 19 Feb 2009 21:33:39 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you really need an RPG of that type on the PS3 consider Eternal Sonata which is slightly better than Enchanted Arms at least.

Valkyria Chronicles is my suggestion though it's the best turn based game of the generation so far.
  • Aretak 19 Feb 2009 21:36:25 10,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Enchanted Arms is a sorely underrated game IMO.

It has a great battle system, interesting characters and looked pretty good for its time (on the 360 at least). The story isn't so hot, but it was engaging enough to keep me playing.

However, the PS3 port is pretty damn awful. They removed whole sections of level geometry to get it running acceptably, plus it also suffers from aliasing and blurry textures.

Eternal Sonata and Valkyria Chronicles are both far better anyway, so get one (or both) of those instead.
  • Sweetiecheeks 19 Feb 2009 22:03:51 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thanks for the ideas, I'll certainly look into those. I'm not sure about Valkyria Chronicles I have to say... from reviews with the overhead map view and so on, it looks a bit different to what I'm used to.. but who knows, maybe that's a good thing. I'm not sure about the idea of only one main character too. I guess if someone else dies you could re-load it, but it seems kind of troublesome. I'll try and decide between that and Eternal Sonata anyway tho.

I can pick up E Arms real cheap so I'll get that anyway. Really can't wait until FFXIII, from the trailer on PSN it looks absolutely amazing! I was so disappointed when I realised it's not out until next year now! I was just checking my pre-order for this feb, to find out the date and then saw that the release has been delayed by about a year :(
  • Cappy 19 Feb 2009 22:18:48 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Give the demo of Valkyria Chronicles a try at least, I don't think the reviews are doing a very good job if they're leaving you so unsure about such a fantastic game.

The game isn't restricted to an overhead map view, the camera is fully adjustable as your units move around and you have plenty of characters in your unit who play an important role in the story besides the commander, it's definitely not a game about just one character.
  • Deleted user 19 February 2009 22:38:28
    What about that mech game that was reviewed last week, is that rpg-ish?
  • Sweetiecheeks 19 Feb 2009 22:59:40 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ok, I've taken on ur advice Cappy and am currently dloading the demo! I hadn't even noticed it in the PSN store before now. Thx for ur help - I'll let u know how I get on.

I'm not sure which game u mean from last week. I looked up Mech but couldn't anything? :(
  • Aretak 19 Feb 2009 23:11:56 10,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I assume he's thinking of Dynasty Warriors: Gundam 2, but that's not an RPG at all.
  • Pedrolot 20 Feb 2009 17:24:01 1,939 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Id love another old school 2-D Suikoden game..

PSN: Pedrolot

• Sweetiecheeks 20 Feb 2009 17:36:01 4 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Thx 4 the help. I checked out the demo of valkyria chronicles and I can c why ppl love it, it does have a real charm to it and the way it is drawn is really nice but it feels too strategy based for me, which is a shame. I really appreciate the help tho. Lets hope some more gd rpgs turn up 4the ps3 before FFXIII! :o
  • Cappy 20 Feb 2009 22:56:48 11,704 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Don't forget to also check out the Eternal Sonata demo if you haven't already seen it.

Demon's Souls will be available in English soon also but I don't think you would like it much going on the sorts of games you prefer. Watch a trailer though, you never know.
  • wayneh 21 Feb 2009 09:18:59 2,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    disc wrote:
    RPGs and SRPGs, bold already out

360:

Blue Dragon
    Lost Odyssey
    Eternal Sonata
    Fable 2
    Mass Effect
    Last Remnant Temporary Exclusivity
    Star Ocean Possibly Temporary Exclusivity as S/E are cagey
    Infinite Undiscovery
    Two Worlds
    Tales of Vesperia
    Phantasy Star Universe
    Cry On
    Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
    Operation Darkness
    Culdcept Saga

PS3:

Folklore
    White Knight Chronicles
    Final Fantasy XIII
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Steambot Chronicles 2
    Shin Megami Tensei Game
    Tears to Tiara
    Disgaea 3
    Valkyrie Chronicles
    The Agency
    Untold Legends
    Free Realms

Both:

Oblivion
    Fallout 3
    Enchanted Arms
    Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
    Etc.

Final Fantasy will be available on both not only the PS3.

Act like a dumbshit and they will treat you as an equal

• morriss 21 Feb 2009 09:53:26 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, considering FFXIII 360 was announced a year ago...
  • morriss 21 Feb 2009 10:01:09 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Get over yourself. It was a fair comment. You said it was only 6 months old. Go play Noby Noby bestesgameverjapanesedevelopmentomfgwtfamazingartartartgamez and relax.
  • morriss 21 Feb 2009 10:04:31 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Why is pointing out that FFXIII was announced a year ago when you say your list is 6 months old being an arsehole? Why did that comment warrant such a hostile response?

You reap what you sow, mate.
  • morriss 21 Feb 2009 10:07:06 70,748 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It was in response to your initial hostile comment.
  • Widge Moderator 21 Feb 2009 10:24:29 12,595 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    and I'm Hayden Christensen!

_ _ _

www.unpaused.co.uk - electronic noise adjective salad

• wayneh 21 Feb 2009 19:14:17 2,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @disc

Sorry didn't look at the date.......but it was announced a year ago.

• Aretak 21 Feb 2009 19:27:24 10,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was announced in July last year, and this thread was long dead by then. I know I don't keep a record of every post I make and return to edit it in light of new information a month later.
  • wayneh 21 Feb 2009 20:13:48 2,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh dear....

I genuinely didn't look at the date. You can put your toys back in now Aretak.

• Aretak 21 Feb 2009 22:17:39 10,329 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It wasn't said in an angry or nasty way at all. The thought that what I wrote could be construed hadn't even crossed my mind whilst writing it.

You can wind your neck in now, wayneh.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Feb 2009 22:24:47 13,246 posts
    Seen 24 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're both right.

You can both [mildly insulting phrase designed to enhance manliness] now.

I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

• superjag86 22 Feb 2009 07:38:09 227 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    and I'm Hayden Christensen!

OH NO!
  • wayneh 22 Feb 2009 21:20:41 2,185 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Aretak

Ok neck wound in I thought you were having a pop.

• Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
    Post deleted
  • Page

of 4 First / Last