The Beer Challenge

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • asha 10 Jun 2008 22:22:34 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is probably the easiest 'challenge' you'll ever get. Basically I work at an offlicence and I always get people coming in asking me to recommend them a nice interesting beer to which I usually reply 'erh not sure' which is where you lot come in,

The challenge is to go to your local offie and choose an interesting looking beer you've never tried before and come back here and report back what it was like. You never know it could be the best beer tasted by any humanbeing and if it wasn't for this challenge you would of never tried it!

I've chosen a german beer for tonight called Erdinger Weissbier. I'll report back later, wish me look.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• otto Moderator 10 Jun 2008 22:28:29 49,314 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Er, yeah, good 'look'.

How can you work in an off-licence and never have tried wheat beer? That's like working in Macdonalds and never having had a milkshake.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Psychotext 10 Jun 2008 22:30:14 53,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've found myself enjoying double dragon. I only tried it for the first time recently so it's going on my list.

Am trying a bunch of others, but local ones first (Wales) so 98% of you wont have a clue what I'm talking about. =)
  • otto Moderator 10 Jun 2008 22:30:45 49,314 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Braiiiiiiiiiiiins

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Psychotext 10 Jun 2008 22:35:24 53,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Braiiiiiiiiiiiins
    Talking of which, I quite liked SA Gold when I tried it.

Also, Badger Tanglefoot.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2008 22:36:00
    Heh, 'look'.
  • mrharvest 10 Jun 2008 22:41:27 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    asha wrote:
    This is probably the easiest 'challenge' you'll ever get.
    It gets progressively more difficult as you gain experience.

Also I find it quite interesting that my local Londis has better selection of new beers than any of the offies in the area. Just last week I had Hogs Back BSA (I'd had T.E.A before), Dark Star Sunburst Golden Ale and Dark Star Espresso (beer with actual coffee in it).
  • asha 10 Jun 2008 22:48:10 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    asha wrote:
    This is probably the easiest 'challenge' you'll ever get.
    It gets progressively more difficult as you gain experience.

Also I find it quite interesting that my local Londis has better selection of new beers than any of the offies in the area. Just last week I had Hogs Back BSA (I'd had T.E.A before), Dark Star Sunburst Golden Ale and Dark Star Espresso (beer with actual coffee in it).

I have to try that.

The Erdinger's really nice so far, it's got a very creamy caramel taste to it which is the kind of beer I always like.

And to all those people laughing at me saying 'look' well you can't exactly open it up and take a swig before choosing which beer to choose can you? :p

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• absolutezero 10 Jun 2008 22:49:17 7,956 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Scottish Ale = Best in World.
  • FWB 10 Jun 2008 22:51:49 44,313 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    asha wrote:
    I've chosen a german beer for tonight called Erdinger Weissbier. I'll report back later, wish me look.

I'm no food or drink expert bu even I know of Erdinger.
  • ProfessorLesser 10 Jun 2008 22:52:53 19,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Weissbier, HEEUUOOOORGHP.

Otter Ale is delicious. Only caught it once in Wetherspoons.

EDIT: And by the way, I can't believe this isn't something you would normally do every time you walk into a pub.
  • mrharvest 10 Jun 2008 23:12:56 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    asha wrote:
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    Dark Star Espresso (beer with actual coffee in it).
    I have to try that.
    It's just a novelty, not really a great beer imo. Like a dark roasted malt porter style but with a bit of extra bitterness. Worth trying, of course since most beers are worth trying, but hardly something you'd remember much.
  • Deleted user 10 June 2008 23:32:16
    Erdinger's all right. Fucking expensive in The Porterhouse though, in London.
  • Salaman 10 Jun 2008 23:39:03 18,959 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Do you have Duvel? Do you have it in larege 1l bottle?
    Just tell them to take that and as you brandish the bottle explain it's:

"a lovely Belgian beer with strong herby and slightly bitter taste. It's waht's called a beer that re-ferments in the bottle, meaning it's bottled at a lower alcohol % than stated on the label but over time as more sugars ferment, it becomes stronger than on the label.
    There's a bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottle.
    You can avoid pooring it as you would with dross in a wine bottle and have a clear strong foaming beer or you can poor down to the last inch or two, swirl it around gently to mix up the yeast and pour it for a cloudy, stronger tasting experience.
    It needs a proper glass as it's VERY foamy. In a pinch any round-ish glass or even a red wine glass will suffice. Poor very, very slowly and start at a near flat angle.
    Best enjoyed with some salty peanuts or crisps."

(cross-sell! .. it's true though)

Surely that'll make you look like you know what you're on about.

• asha 11 Jun 2008 00:07:00 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Salaman wrote:
    Do you have Duvel? Do you have it in larege 1l bottle?
    Just tell them to take that and as you brandish the bottle explain it's:

"a lovely Belgian beer with strong herby and slightly bitter taste. It's waht's called a beer that re-ferments in the bottle, meaning it's bottled at a lower alcohol % than stated on the label but over time as more sugars ferment, it becomes stronger than on the label.
    There's a bit of yeast in the bottom of the bottle.
    You can avoid pooring it as you would with dross in a wine bottle and have a clear strong foaming beer or you can poor down to the last inch or two, swirl it around gently to mix up the yeast and pour it for a cloudy, stronger tasting experience.
    It needs a proper glass as it's VERY foamy. In a pinch any round-ish glass or even a red wine glass will suffice. Poor very, very slowly and start at a near flat angle.
    Best enjoyed with some salty peanuts or crisps."

(cross-sell! .. it's true though)

Surely that'll make you look like you know what you're on about.

I had one of them the other night actually but that was after drinking nearly 2lts of blackthorn cider so I wasn't exactly in the right state to savour it shall we say haha.

I've just finished my Erdinger and I'm onto a 'live' beer called Young's Champion now

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Psychotext 11 Jun 2008 00:52:03 53,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    asha wrote:
    I'm onto a 'live' beer called Young's Champion now
    I've tried that one... was odd.
  • ecureuil 11 Jun 2008 00:54:28 76,730 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    asha wrote:I've chosen a german beer for tonight called Erdinger Weissbier. I'll report back later, wish me look.

Erdinger is fantastic. I have a local pub that serves it on tap, and it comes in this awesome really tall glass, with an inch-head on it. Really good stuff.
  • ProfessorLesser 11 Jun 2008 00:55:41 19,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BLLEEEUAAAAACH.
  • TheRealBadabing 11 Jun 2008 01:12:12 1,299 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Badger's Tanglefoot is simply superb. Actually prefer it chilled from a bottle, rather than from a pump.

Their Golden Glory is worth a try too; it's very fruity but not sweet and awesome on a summers day.

Also, try Stinger Ale. It's made with nettles and very refreshing. Nettles are from the same family as hops donchano.

Marstons Old Empire goes down a treat but has a bit of a kick.

/Could go on all day about beer :)

• mrharvest 11 Jun 2008 01:12:19 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    BLLEEEUAAAAACH.
    Is it something you've got against wheat beer in general, or just Erdinger?
  • Psychotext 11 Jun 2008 01:13:21 53,978 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Their Golden Glory is worth a try too; it's very fruity but not sweet and awesome on a summers day.
    Didn't you find it tasted like drinking a bouquet of flowers? Really freaked me out.
  • ProfessorLesser 11 Jun 2008 01:14:04 19,356 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    BLLEEEUAAAAACH.
    Never had a weissbier that hasn't made me gag.
  • mrharvest 11 Jun 2008 01:17:44 5,194 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    BLLEEEUAAAAACH.
    There's something wrong with you.

What about other less common (in Britain) styles?
  • ecureuil 11 Jun 2008 01:20:05 76,730 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    Mr Harvest wrote:
    ProfessorLesser wrote:
    BLLEEEUAAAAACH.

Madness! I love having local weissbiers whenever I'm in Germany or Austria. Wonderful stuff.
  • TheRealBadabing 11 Jun 2008 01:25:57 1,299 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    Didn't you find it tasted like drinking a bouquet of flowers? Really freaked me out.
    Hehe yeah first taste I had was really weird but it is quite moreish once you get over the initial "beer doesn't taste like this" shock ;)
  • asha 11 Jun 2008 01:58:55 1,991 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just to recap,

The weissbier was lovely, I'm definitely going to try and find more of them. But the Champion as someone else said was odd.. it looked and had the same consistency as a larger style beer but tasted like the most unremarkable bitter you'll ever drink, wouldn't recommend it

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• mal 12 Jun 2008 00:33:20 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Champion is technically a lager, I think - but it's brewed by Youngs who wouldn't know how to brew a lager (or keep a draught bitter, judging by most of their pubs). Tastes more like a pale ale than a lager (and there are plenty of better pale ales to drink, if that's your thing).

I'm currently drinking McEwans Champion, by coincidence (and I've never tasted it before, so it's eligble for this challenge). Seeing as it's around 7.5% and scottish, I assumed before opening that it would taste something like Tennant's Extra. To be fair to it, it's not quite that bad - it's at least drinkable - but there is something very strange about it. The consistency and colour is like flat coke. It tastes a bit like a bad brandy wine but with an aftertaste that's at first sweet, then the after-aftertaste is bitter. The bottle claims it's won awards, but as seems to be the done thing in the beer world, fails to mention what award it is.

However, after a glass of wine and most of a bottle of this stuff, I'm feeling about three pints pissed, so that's one thing in its favour.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• mal 12 Jun 2008 21:52:21 22,470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonight I are be drinking Adnam's broadside.

It's one of my regular tipples on draught, but I've never had it bottled before. In fact, despite being a good percentage point stronger in bottled form, it's quite representative of the draught version, retaining the bitter hoppy and fruity flavour. Shame it's so strong then, since otherwise it would be a good session beer (as it is in the pub).

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous