IL-2 Sturmovik: Birds of Prey

• Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous
  • glaeken 9 Jun 2008 14:10:36 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I am not sure if this is old but it was news to me that there is a Sturmovik game coming for consoles.

IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey (developed by Gaijin Entertainment for Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, by DiP Interactive for Nintendo DS and by Beatshapers for PSP) includes large-scale aerial combat and ground based military operations from World War II. Players will participate in some of the war's most famous battles piloting fighters, battle planes and heavy bombers across a range of thrilling missions.

There are five areas of war to engage in - The Battle of Britain, Stalingrad, Berlin, Sicily and Korsun' representing the main airborne battles of World War II in Europe. As well as advanced environmental visuals enriching the game play, IL-2 also boasts an all new damage effects engine. Players can see real time damage to the aircraft such as holes in the wings and trail lines during dog fights. Hundreds of airplanes will take part in air battle in IL-2: Sturmovik: Birds of Prey and the unique environmental engine produces highly detailed, realistic landscapes that allows players to see breathtaking ground support actions. The difficulty levels will range from arcade to simulation.

There is even a video.

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14258704/il-2-sturmovik-birds-of-prey/videos/24f_il2_trailer_060608.html
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 14:13:48
    I couldn't even get a plane off the ground in the PC one.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 14:16:07
    I presume it'll be dumbed down for the consolers, what with the PC version being one of the least accessible games ever made.
  • Tiger_Walts 9 Jun 2008 14:17:55 16,618 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the PC games. The damage modelling was the best bit.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• glaeken 9 Jun 2008 14:18:36 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    I presume it'll be dumbed down for the consolers, what with the PC version being one of the least accessible games ever made.

That could actually be a good thing though in this instance.

Though I would think knowing these guys even their idea of an arcade level of difficulty might be a little tough.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 14:19:04
    Graphically brilliant, looks nice at ground level too - great tree effects.

I liked the PC version, I managed to fly it too - was shit at combat though! 'Bout time the consoles had something like this. I want my arcade flight simulator in real cities, dammit.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 14:19:16
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    I loved the PC games. The damage modelling was the best bit.

That I did get some experience of, even if all the damage was done by the runway.
  • glaeken 9 Jun 2008 14:23:29 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The only concern I would have on this is I seem to remember the Sturmovik games all being very buggy and there being lots of patch's before they worked correctly.

Still it would be nice to see something a bit more like a flight sim on the consoles.
  • kencleary 9 Jun 2008 14:23:37 237 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I had no idea..................

Love the PC version and its various iterations. If the console version isn't too dumbed down this could be brilliant. I look forward to shooting you all down, or off the runway in some cases!, on Xbox live :)
  • Razz 9 Jun 2008 14:24:55 61,650 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    As long as they include this I'll buy it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Steam/PSN/XBOX: Razztafarai | 3DS: 1246-9674-8856
    --------------------------------------------------------------------

• Deleted user 9 June 2008 14:34:18
    I'm really looking forward to this. Used to play it a lot on the PC until I gave up on chasing hardware updates / got sick of hardcore sim nutters from simhq killing me in seconds in MP.

A more casual console version would be very welcome - even a fair bit dumbed down from the PC version I'd imagine this would be head and shoulders over anything like it on the consoles in terms of accuracy / challenge. They can probably map most of the common controls to the controller as well - a lot of the PC ones were fluff like landing gear that could be automated.

I do wonder if they'll have playable multi-player operated bombers though. It'd be quite nice doing a co-op bomber mission. I seem to recall there's only 8 player MP which indicates against this somewhat I suppose :-/
  • glaeken 9 Jun 2008 14:49:39 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It seems IGN did a preview as well a while back and this answers the questions of how dumbed down it will be.

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/879/879851p1.html

The short answer being at max realism setting it won't be dumbed down at all with the flight model being the same as that used in the PC version.
  • Tiger_Walts 9 Jun 2008 14:56:14 16,618 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda wrote:
    They can probably map most of the common controls to the controller as well - a lot of the PC ones were fluff like landing gear that could be automated.

Fluff? FLUFF!

I once outmanoeuvred a sprightly fighter in my IL-2 with use of my gear. Having taken to the deck in an attempt to out-run him I had no other option than to try and lose him by going slower than him. Weaving left and right and extending my flaps and dropping my gear I was able to fly slower than his stall speed so he had to fly past.

Now, with no altitude and me behind him, it was his turn to run. Needless to say, my 23mm cannons tore him to pieces (because the machine guns are almost useless apart from being used as tracer fire).

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• Deleted user 9 June 2008 15:00:36
    If it's not actually dumbed down and is a reasonable success, maybe this'll convince MS to create a version of FS on the 360. Obviously they can't do a proper port of FSX though.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 15:18:30
    glaeken wrote:
    The only concern I would have on this is I seem to remember the Sturmovik games all being very buggy and there being lots of patch's before they worked correctly.

Still it would be nice to see something a bit more like a flight sim on the consoles.

From what I've read, its built on the existing IL-2 flight model and engine so in effect its actually taking advantage of the many patch's and expansions to the original code.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 15:21:25
    Tiger_Walts wrote:
    RedPanda wrote:
    They can probably map most of the common controls to the controller as well - a lot of the PC ones were fluff like landing gear that could be automated.

Fluff? FLUFF!

I once outmanoeuvred a sprightly fighter in my IL-2 with use of my gear. Having taken to the deck in an attempt to out-run him I had no other option than to try and lose him by going slower than him. Weaving left and right and extending my flaps and dropping my gear I was able to fly slower than his stall speed so he had to fly past.

Now, with no altitude and me behind him, it was his turn to run. Needless to say, my 23mm cannons tore him to pieces (because the machine guns are almost useless apart from being used as tracer fire).

lol ok I stand corrected, a bad example :)

they might retain the flight models etc but its never going to be a replacement for the control detail you get with a keyboard / mouse / flightstick / whatever crazy TrackIR stuff you add in to the soup ;)
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 15:25:47
    Bill Door wrote:
    I know plenty of people* that use the 360 pad on the PC version of FSX.

*1 person who is a flight sim nut

I doubt anyone solely uses the pad (although granted, it is excellent when in flight). There are a shedload of keyboard commands still used.
  • barchetta 9 Jun 2008 15:34:08 1,387 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    I am not sure if this is old but it was news to me that there is a Sturmovik game coming for consoles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=116090&category_id=39

But what the hell... it is multiformat and it is a lovely afternoon and you appear to have a more interesting thread than me so... I'll let you off.
  • Hunam 9 Jun 2008 15:37:30 20,674 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Team Xbox have a great preview up. Basically has full-on hardcore sim mode with full flight stick support aswell as arcade controls for general fun play.
  • glaeken 9 Jun 2008 16:03:12 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    barchetta wrote:
    glaeken wrote:

http://www.eurogamer.net/forum_thread_posts.php?thread_id=116090&category_id=39

But what the hell... it is multiformat and it is a lovely afternoon and you appear to have a more interesting thread than me so... I'll let you off.

Ah so it was old :( Oh well I think you must have posted that at a quiet time as it does not seem to have gotten much attention.
  • monkie_king 9 Jun 2008 16:06:51 984 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is this anything to do with the Amiga BoP? Think that was Argonaut developed.
  • Deleted user 9 June 2008 16:12:21
    monkie_king wrote:
    Is this anything to do with the Amiga BoP? Think that was Argonaut developed.

Nothing at all. I remember that game though. It had a weird option to have a tilting horizon when you rolled, or a lovely gradiented one which wouldn't move at all. Peculiar.

Loved the X plane flights in it though :)
  • Machetazo 20 Aug 2008 15:00:40 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Leipzig trailer shows a flight-combat game packed with a surprising amount of detail.
    (Don't read too much into that, though, as I haven't played one of these games, since Flight Sim 2000 ;) )
    I'm impressed by the footage, though. Might look into getting this.
  • glaeken 20 Aug 2008 15:27:45 11,265 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's looking great. I really fancy playing a decent flight sim on a nice big TV.
  • Deleted user 12 February 2009 11:01:16
    Given HAWX sounds very average to lame, has anyone heard any more about this? I'm dying for a really good flight game on console.
  • dgamlin 7 Jun 2009 01:39:34 24 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Great. At last, a flight sim on the xbox where you can get up close and personal, and view the decent aircraft graphics instead of destroying a dot in the distance with "fire & forget" missiles. Also, set in Europe, so some familiar scenery for us Eurogamers (even if it is getting levelled) ;) The vid shows lots of external views, and was worried that it might be third person only, but there are some first person views, albeit a cockpit view (prefer no cockpit - just the sights). Dut out in Autumn. Not long to wait now....
    e3 first impressions
  • Machetazo 19 Jun 2009 10:04:01 6,372 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    News has appeared that the official website (il2game.com) for this has launched. Release time for PS3/360/DS/PSP versions of Birds of Prey is looking good for Autumn.
    According to the linked release, there's a new trailer up on the site, so that might be worth a visit.
  • Deleted user 19 June 2009 10:07:04
    The trailer is definitely worth downloading. The game is gorgeous. Makes HAWX looks like shit (though to be honest HAWX managed that quite well on its own).
  • Deleted user 19 June 2009 10:09:29
    The game aims to make both sides happy. It's has both a full-on sim campaign and arcade modes.
  • figgis 19 Jun 2009 10:16:22 7,381 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interest rising in this, haven't played any decent flight sims (arcade or otherwise) since Crimson Skies on the old XB.
  • Page

of 13 First / Last

Previous