• Hunam 16 Sep 2008 12:54:13 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Plot? The game is about shooting stuff.
  • MrCarrot 16 Sep 2008 12:55:56 3,516 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bloodloss wrote:
    Would it be best to play Crysis before playing this game? Or should I not bother?

I'm playing through the original for the first time, now that I've got a decent graphics card, and it's chuffing awesome - far better than I expected - though I haven't got to the 'big freeze' yet, so I guess the end game could take the shine off my enthusiasm.

Well worth a quick run through, even if just for the first few levels IMO.
  • DodgyPast 16 Sep 2008 14:21:03 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:
    Bloodloss wrote:
    Would it be best to play Crysis before playing this game? Or should I not bother?

I'm playing through the original for the first time, now that I've got a decent graphics card, and it's chuffing awesome - far better than I expected - though I haven't got to the 'big freeze' yet, so I guess the end game could take the shine off my enthusiasm.

Until you get into the caves.

I suspect it'll be better to practice the game on the original one because it's worth figuring out your preferred style of playing and ways of making the most out of the suit and the weapons.

It's a lot of fun and should let you play Warhead on the higher skill levels where I reckon it'll really shine.

Infact I might have another go myself at a higher level.

BTW E6700 ( Dual 2.66GHz ) and a 8800 GTS ( 320Mb ) makes it remain smooth at medium to high settings and 1280x1024.
  • Feanor 17 Sep 2008 04:49:41 14,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The Sims 3 DRM situation will be very interesting next year.

According to #36 on this list, it's easy to totally remove Securom, but that's according to Securom themselves.:

http://www.securom.com/support_faq.asp
  • Artemus 17 Sep 2008 12:49:08 1,007 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Anyone know how big the download on Steam is?
  • PearOfAnguish 17 Sep 2008 21:15:37 7,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    6GB.
    It appears to be activated. Downloading now.
  • Hunam 17 Sep 2008 21:16:38 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The EA Downloader is supposed to be active for pre-loading. Which it's not.
  • Red-Moose 17 Sep 2008 22:10:20 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:
    Bloodloss wrote:

The freeze has absolutely stunning graphics though, and some kick ass sections playing with the squad leader guy (forgot his name, he'll probably get another game as well!).

I loaded up a save at the opening of the ice levels many times just to see it again, it is really excellent like no other game in terms of graphics, and quite a tactical section.

I would love a Midwinter style game using the engine. I suppose it is theoretically possible in the map editor in far Cry 2.
  • byron_hinson 17 Sep 2008 22:27:29 1,509 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    6GB.

It out for the UK now or have you got a US account?
  • DodgyPast 17 Sep 2008 22:32:57 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quitefrankly, you have repeatedly said the same old shit and refused to actually address my main issue.

So I guess you see games as throwaway crap.

Well I've enjoyed owning my games, reselling them to help me buy more or keeping them and playing them when I want in the future.

Any old protection prevents against piracy, and this securom stuff won't stop it turning up on the torrent sites straight away, I could have been playing Spore via torrent before a legal version. It is designed to limit your ability to resell the product and as a by product reduces your ability to enjoy the product for as long as you want to.
  • ResidentKnievel 17 Sep 2008 22:35:35 6,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know if this has been answered already, but if you download off Steam will you also download the secuROM stuff?

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• DodgyPast 17 Sep 2008 22:43:10 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:
    I don't know if this has been answered already, but if you download off Steam will you also download the secuROM stuff?
    I haven't seen an answer but I do know they did it with Bioshock.
  • ResidentKnievel 17 Sep 2008 22:53:24 6,115 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trying to rip/write cd's has became a pointless excercise since I installed Spore on my laptop so I'm a bit wary of getting Crysis for when I get a gaming PC. This could be unrelated to secuROM though as my laptop has been falling apart lately.

[code]Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Unlike yourself, I don't have a weird obsession with any platform.[/code]

• PearOfAnguish 17 Sep 2008 23:01:37 7,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    6GB.

It out for the UK now or have you got a US account?

Sorry, it is US only right now. Tomorrow for the UK and rest of the world.
  • PearOfAnguish 18 Sep 2008 00:09:15 7,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How do I tell if it installed SecuROM? I didn't see anything and it didn't ask to restart.

Oddly, the graphics settings have been changed to "Minimum", "Mainstream", "Gamer" and "Enthusiast". Different from the usual low/medium/high, I guess.

• Red-Moose 18 Sep 2008 00:34:17 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    How do I tell if it installed SecuROM? I didn't see anything and it didn't ask to restart.

Oddly, the graphics settings have been changed to "Minimum", "Mainstream", "Gamer" and "Enthusiast". Different from the usual low/medium/high, I guess.

Download the Microsoft (Sysinternals) applications:
    1.Process Explorer

Rootkit Revealer.

If you run Process Explorer (advanced version of Task Manager), when you try and run Spore, you will get the following error:
    "A required security module cannot be activated.
    This program cannot be executed (5024).

- there is no problem with the activation of the security module (Securom), but it is hiding in the Ring0 section of the kernel and doesn't want to show it's head when the Spore application calls it, and refuses to run as Process Explorer will list the Securom application (Task Manager won't list it at all). You can run Process Explorer after you launch the game no problem, as it then is removed from memory.

If you run RootkitRevealer, Securom will pop up at the top of the list on the Registry scan:
    HKU\S-1-5-21-(numbers)-(more numbers)-1000\Software\SecuROM\License information* 18/09/2008 00:20 0 bytes Key name contains embedded nulls (*)

and then you know Securom has installed. It will update the registry entry on every call from a Securom application (like Spore) that calls it.

• FixedInfinity 18 Sep 2008 11:50:07 1,682 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play still doesn't seem to have this in stock...
  • Ravenger 18 Sep 2008 12:28:14 190 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Looks like the game DOES have limited activations.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/news/19232

• FooAtari 18 Sep 2008 17:36:29 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Yes
  • FooAtari 18 Sep 2008 17:43:09 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    According to #36 on this list, it's easy to totally remove Securom, but that's according to Securom themselves.:

http://www.securom.com/support_faq.asp

Internesting I just spent half an hour last night pissing about with the command prompt and downloading additional software (not from securom) to remove securom files and registry entries that I couldn't simply "delete"

I understand companies want to protect their software, but not like this. And I wont buy any game that uses Securom. If Sony got totally shafted for their Rootkit on Music CD's how come they get away with this.

It installs without your knowlede
    Install itself pretty deep into the system
    and from personal experience is a pain to get rid off.
    The to really piss me off I have to pay to call them to install the game again if I change my hardware.

I don't care how bad piracy is, I'm not paying for a game, and then having to put up with that amount of drm

Would you buy a DVD you could only watch three times before having to call the movie studio to watch it again? Of course you wouldn't.
  • kalel 18 Sep 2008 17:45:24 86,338 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    ResidentKnievel wrote:

Yes.

Would buying it through Steam get past the limited activations issue? The whole point of Steam is once you've bought it, it's there to download again whenever you want.
  • FooAtari 18 Sep 2008 17:53:04 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You can install as often as like as long as you don't change your hardware. linky

Bloody stupid, I was going to get the Steam version as I thought there was a chance it would be free of DRM as Steam as it's own, but obviously not. Considering the kind of gamer that will buy Crysis will probably be someone that upgrades their computer fairly regularly I think it's a pretty dumb decision.

Actually I might have jumped the gun a bit. Im not positive the above applies to Steam version. But It's probably safe to assume it does...
  • DodgyPast 18 Sep 2008 18:03:55 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quitefrankly wrote:
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Quitefrankly, you have repeatedly said the same old shit and refused to actually address my main issue.

So I guess you see games as throwaway crap.
    There is no point me typing stuff like this if you are too fucking stupid to even read it. Go back to school you moron.
    Really?

You spend your whole time talking about trying to prevent piracy yet again, which I think most sentient individuals on the forum know the limited activations has almost 0 effect on.... purely making resale and using the game in the longer term future impossible.

Once again, don't you think these are rather major issues that massively devalue the 'product' you now rent rather than buy?

If you think EA don't know this then you are being very naive. This is also why people are kicking up as big a stink as possible about it so EA might decide that they're losing more sales than the money they think they're gaining from this tactic.

Like I've said before, having an article in Forbes that implies that maybe the DRM on Spore has caused it to be torrented a lot more than would be expected for such a game and this combined with the public nature of the Amazon complaints might hopefully get EA to give up on this strategy.
  • kalel 18 Sep 2008 18:05:32 86,338 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:
    You can install as often as like as long as you don't change your hardware. linky

Bloody stupid, I was going to get the Steam version as I thought there was a chance it would be free of DRM as Steam as it's own, but obviously not. Considering the kind of gamer that will buy Crysis will probably be someone that upgrades their computer fairly regularly I think it's a pretty dumb decision.

Actually I might have jumped the gun a bit. Im not positive the above applies to Steam version. But It's probably safe to assume it does...

I'd honestly be amazed if it did apply to Steam, as that would change the whole way Steam works surely.
  • DodgyPast 18 Sep 2008 18:13:50 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    With Bioshock part of the code you downloaded through steam was the securom software which had to authenticate with Securom servers that were in no way controlled by Steam.
  • Ravenger 18 Sep 2008 18:19:25 190 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Steam version of Warhead has the same DRM.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showpost.php?p=3297411&postcount=327
  • DodgyPast 18 Sep 2008 20:52:17 8,414 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quitefrankly wrote:
    DodgyPast wrote:
    sentient individuals on the forum know the limited activations has almost 0 effect on....
    If YOU were a fucking "sentient individual" you would see the part where I said I wasn't talking about the limited activations.
    Ah I get it, so you've been quoting me but actually not responding to me.

I did reread your answer, I just assumed that since your were quoting me you were reading what my issues were, but now I see you were quoting tiny parts of what I was saying out of context and ignoring my main issues because you didn't want to actually have a normal discussion but instead waffle on about the dangers of piracy to media companies.

How exactly is that relevant to a discussion about DRM when you don't even consider the fact that it does nothing to prevent piracy beyond prior implementations and if anything is increasing piracy given the evidence of Spore?
  • Page

of 9 First / Last