• Feanor 13 Sep 2008 15:03:33 14,154 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thanks.
  • FooAtari 14 Sep 2008 16:30:33 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    it's on steam because EA only publish crysis they don't own crysis so crytek can put it up anywhere.

Steam are the publishers so I believe that means they are solely responsible for all publishing and distribution aspects. Someone in EA OK'd this IMO.

And on the DRM issue;

Drm sure works

As of Thursday afternoon, "Spore" had been illegally downloaded on file-sharing networks using BitTorrent peer-to-peer transfer 171,402 times since Sept. 1, according to Big Champagne, a peer-to-peer research firm. That's hardly a record: a popular game often hits those kinds of six-figure piracy numbers, says Big Champagne Chief Executive Eric Garland.

But not usually so quickly. In just the 24-hour period between Wednesday and Thursday, illegal downloaders snagged more than 35,000 copies, and, as of Thursday evening, that rate of downloads was still accelerating. "The numbers are extraordinary," Garland says. "This is a very high level of torrent activity even for an immensely popular game title."

What annoys me about SecuROM is the stealth nature of the install. No where does it tell you the game will install additional third party software. That further makes fundamental changes that can cause issues. To add insult it's a pain in the ass to uninstall. I do not have a problem with devs/publishers trying to protect their game. I do have a problem with the SecuROM and limited install methods of doing it. Especially when I can often by the same game on a console, play it without any such restrictions and sell it on again.

Anyway I don't believe EA have the right to stop you selling on the game, or giving it to someone.
  • Red-Moose 14 Sep 2008 16:38:51 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FooAtari wrote:

Anyway I don't believe EA have the right to stop you selling on the game, or giving it to someone.

There are quite a few people saying it's not a big deal, etc., happily existing in console land.

However, as was the case with most things, what happens first in PC land will eventually happen in console land, be it 3d acceleration, online gaming, or indeed DRM.

So while there is a healthy used market for console games at the moment, and they don't have restrictions for installations or activation, you can bet those are coming to Xbox 360 and PS3 as we speak.

However, there would be uproar from the mommies and addies who buy and allow junior to sell used PS2 and PS3 games so at the moment it's not happening, and it's easier to use the PC market as a test bed.

Pay 49.99 for a PC game with limited activation/installation and no resale value is one fucking piece of shit. Paying 69-79.99 for console games for the same deal (install Gran Turismo 5 maybe 3 times, requires online activation and constant internet connection).

Or, Splinter Cell Conviction Xbox 360: will activate and install on one Xbox 360 account and the serial in the game disc will match itself to your one account.

No resale, no used market.
  • Whizzo 14 Sep 2008 17:25:13 43,096 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    There's plenty of DRM in console land, all digital downloads (XBLA, PSN, Wiiware) are non-transferable.

Limiting disc games wouldn't make any sense and unlike the PC the levels of piracy are low so there's little incentive to become draconian about activations etc.

If PC owners spent more money on the games they play rather than stealing them so much this wouldn't be an issue and the PC games market would be far healthier.

This space left intentionally blank.

• Red-Moose 14 Sep 2008 18:12:45 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Whizzo: at the moment there's isn't a large amount of piract, but the combined markets of Xbox 360, PS3 and Wii are still totally dwarfed by the PS2.

Limiting disc games doesn't make sense either when big games on PCs can sell 1-2 million copies (i.e., Crysis, even with huge specs needed). Level of piracy is low in console land at the moment because

a) the markets of the current consoles (Wii, 360, PS3) are tiny compared to the PS2 era, when piracy was rampant
    b) people have access to cheap second hand games

I take it that you are new to gaming as you do not recall the PS1 era and the amount of chipping that went on to break copy protection and allow VCD and game piracy. This went on to obscene levels in PS2, and probably contributed significantly to it's popularity, depsite having worse graphics and an absent online service compared to Xbox.

"if PC owners spent more money on games they play rather than stealing them..." - lol!

Gaming has always gone in waves - a few years of consoles, then a few years back to PC. Right now, the PC is going down and consoles are going up. For a few years there around 04-07 it was the PC at the top, as gaming on the current gen consoles was very limited. Likewise at the last console era (PS2 era, say 00-04), piracy also rises with the main platforms used.

No one is pirating console games for the same reason no one is pirating MAcOS games: the market is still TINY for this generation. It will ramp up next year.

Consoles are at the "online/download games are DRM" stage, circa PC gaming 2003: you need to be logged in of course to download.

Next step in consoles: limited installations and lockign to accounts. Mark my words! How many new PS3 and Xbox games don't install to HD?
  • Whizzo 14 Sep 2008 18:24:18 43,096 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yes I'm very new to gaming, it's only 30 years since I got my first gaming machine with a Binatone Mk 10 Colour and I obviously know fuck all about PC piracy having been a PC gamer since 1986.

• Red-Moose 14 Sep 2008 18:51:44 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Well then surely you do recall the fucking huge amount of piracy on the past few generatiosn of consoles, it simply hasn't started yet on the current ones.

To suggest (like you did) that it's somehow the fault of PC game players being dirty pirates and that console gamers were all dressed in virgin white, etc., came across as something that was pretty short sighted given console gamers own history.

My point was that what is happening in PC land will start to happen in console land....again. Winter 2009 - limited installations and activations for console games.
  • Deleted user 14 September 2008 18:55:52
    The reason hardly anyone's pirating console games this generation isn't because of the market size - it's because modding them is, for the layman, pretty complicated. The PSX/PS2 modchip scenario wasn't much the same, as before the whole thing by Sony taking modchip retailers to court, you could get them chipped in a lot of indie shops.

Piracy is pretty rampant on the PSP and DS, for example, as they require no hardware modifications and you don't lose any features (such as online play) and in some cases, gain some (PSP's loading times from a memstick, for example).
  • Deleted user 14 September 2008 19:00:18
    Also, there's no way they'll do limited installs on the current gen of consoles. Not until they start supplying them with 500Gb HDDs as standard.
  • Whizzo 14 Sep 2008 19:31:17 43,096 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:To suggest (like you did) that it's somehow the fault of PC game players being dirty pirates and that console gamers were all dressed in virgin white, etc., came across as something that was pretty short sighted given console gamers own history.
    I'm a PC gamer, I'm a console gamer, I'm someone who pays for the games I pay, which apparently is lolworthy according to you.

If a lot of PC gamers who currently steal their software don't stop doing it and PC developers realise they're not going to be making any money it won't matter a stuff about DRM, online activations or anything else because there'll be bugger all PC games to pirate in the first place as they'll leave the format behind for the more profitable console marketplace where there is relatively less piracy.

• FooAtari 14 Sep 2008 21:20:25 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I still don't think piracy is as big as issue as it's made out to be. I'm not saying it's not a problem, because it obviously is, but as I understand from the above article they thought Spore has been downloaded 170,000 times so far. I would expect Spore will probably sell 1 - 2 million copies at least in the first 6 months to a year. That would put the figure anywhere between 1 and 5 and 1 in ten copies of Spore being pirated. Then you need to factor in how many of those pirates would have actually bought the game had it be unavailable for download. I think you are probably looking at something like 10-15% of sales lost due to downloads**, a significant amount sure, but not as bad as publishers and developers would leave you to believe.

It's as much an excuse to try and control the used game market (which I would have thought was a bigger issue on consoles) than to combat piracy in my opinion.

"Also, there's no way they'll do limited installs on the current gen of consoles. Not until they start supplying them with 500Gb HDDs as standard"

That will probably happen next generation I would guess.

**of course that is a figure I have come up with myself
  • FooAtari 15 Sep 2008 04:46:34 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah I realised the errors in my post after I posted it, you do have a point there. But I have np issues with them protecting their game. I just shouldn't have to suffer their drm.
  • FooAtari 15 Sep 2008 08:13:33 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    quitefrankly wrote:
    It is really underhanded to not explain this on the box of games though. That is just wrong. The least they can do is explain that their product contains it.

Thats one my biggest issues with it tbh.

Although the things you listed above do benefit the individual. Pin numbers keep your credit cards safe, no diving signs stop you cracking your head open on the bottom of the pool. How does DRM/limited installs benefit me?
  • DodgyPast 15 Sep 2008 19:52:39 8,455 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Plain and simple fact, I sometimes like to play games a couple of years after I buy them.

I also sometimes like to sell them second hand to purchase other games.

The former can be got around by cracking, the second brings the resale value of a product I should own to zero.

As was said a large amount of value for Spore was online, I would have purchased it without the DRM, instead I just skipped it.

I haven't properly played a pirated game on my PC since I was a student and I normally buy 10 or so PC games a year.

I think the product that Crytek have produced is worth the money, but once EA have finished removing my right to keep the game installed on my machine across OS installs and resell that product it isn't worth my money.

Plain and simple cause and effect here, EA's DRM is going to cause me to pirate a game I would buy if it didn't include that DRM.
  • Ajay 15 Sep 2008 20:04:23 2,412 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    quitefrankly wrote:
    Ajay wrote:
    The problem with that is that you're still rewarding them for shafting us legitimate users. Much as I like the idea, the 'buy it, use the downloaded copy' won't discourage the pricks responsible for this toss from implementing it again, since the shit-eating imbeciles still get your hard-earned.

They're not imbeciles. The copy protection discourages more people from stealing the game than it does people who don't like the copy protection. So it's a logical business decision.
    Yeah, fair one, I should have said 'cretins' instead. Since I'd already used 'shit-eating' I was somewhat reaching for a suitable non-profanity to try to avoid degrading my point further.
  • DodgyPast 15 Sep 2008 20:21:01 8,455 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesn't discourage people piracting the game, it does stop them reselling it though.
  • DodgyPast 15 Sep 2008 23:10:12 8,455 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    quitefrankly wrote:
    These companies aren't stupid. They know how many people complain about copy protection, and how many people pirate their games. If they thought they were scaring off more legitimate buyers than pirates, then they wouldn't do it would they? They are out to make money, and they have to buy a license for protection, so it costs them money, and it costs them customers, so they only do it because they know it pays off. Otherwise they wouldn't.
    Which is why Amazon.com was bombed with DRM related negative reviews.

I suspect this will continue with every EA game that goes ahead with the resale killing DRM.

The last one made Forbes and reached many Amazon.com users, when it continues it will be picked up elsewhere in the media.

This will educate more and more less educated consumers and will continue to hit sales, which will put more pressure on EA not only via lost sales but also a perceptual drop in the value of the brand which has implications for their share price.

I find it really concerning that with an economic downturn already hitting people are still happy defending these companies while they try to force us into throwing away their products when we still value them.

I resent the throwaway culture, they build cars to fail so you have to buy a new model now they're doing the same thing to games, the sad thing is that EA, MS, Sony and Nintendo plus many others love it when this is the case e.g. downloadable content, but to me it is such a crying shame that timeless classics will disappear so they can never be enjoyed again.
  • WrongShui 15 Sep 2008 23:18:47 6,613 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The shyster law firm Davenport will deter more casual pirates than any DRM.
  • Ravenger 16 Sep 2008 08:55:44 190 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The thing is, they don't go out of their way to put the protection system on the packaging, so most users don't know about it. If you buy Mass Effect the only mention on the box is 'requires internet connection and periodic online authentication to play' which could mean anything. It doesn't even say anything when you install the game.

A colleague of mine who bought spore was pretty annoyed when I told him about the three install limit - he'd had no idea and he'd been playing the game for a few days.
  • Lave 16 Sep 2008 09:37:28 300 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    now for something completely different...

can someone who's computer is capable of running crysis/warhead on medium/high-isch settings please post their specs? I'm looking to buy a new desktop, but have absolutely no clue as to which components are able to do what...
  • Ravenger 16 Sep 2008 10:05:55 190 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Q6600, 8800GTS 512, 2GB RAM, SB X-Fi sound card, Windows XP
    Runs Crysis with DX10 effects in a tweaked DX9 config at around 30fps, 1680x1050 no antialiasing.
  • FixedInfinity 16 Sep 2008 10:15:01 1,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Really looking forward to this, especially after seeing all of the video reviews.
    Just will have to try and find some time between Warhammer!
  • PearOfAnguish 16 Sep 2008 11:16:42 7,219 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Core 2 E6800, 8800GTX, 4GB RAM, Win XP
    High settings, no AA, modified files for DX10 effects. Get an average 30FPS at 1920x1200.
  • Bloodloss 16 Sep 2008 11:22:06 4,499 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Would it be best to play Crysis before playing this game? Or should I not bother?
  • autogunner 16 Sep 2008 12:13:48 119 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nahhhh, tried playing crysis last night for old times sake. got angry, then it crashed. also all the updates seem to amke it run slower on my machine. Anyone else have that trouble?
  • Red-Moose 16 Sep 2008 12:52:07 5,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Bloodloss: yeah, it's quite a lot of fun. The character in Warhead shows up at times in Crysis and then is off doing the "other stuff" while you do Crysis. It will defo be a good shooter, but would be a cooler plot to see how the stories integrate.

You don't *need* to though
  • Page

of 9 First / Last