Crysis Warhead Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Feanor 12 Sep 2008 18:35:21 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Just FYI, the DRM is apparently identical to Spore - three activations + SecuROM 7.

Is the DRM just the same on the direct download versions of games like Spore? I'm sure the activation limit is the same, but is there still Securom fucking around with the DVD drive even though the game didn't come on a DVD?
  • Red-Moose 12 Sep 2008 18:42:14 5,345 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All future EA titles including Crysis Warhead, RA3 to have Securom and limited activation

Oh well

/spends gaming money on non-EA games
  • Feanor 12 Sep 2008 18:59:32 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It frustrates me when the DRM is dicussed without even mentioning the level at which it operates, the difficulty of removing it, and the way it can stop DVD drives from working. It's not only the limited installs that are a problem.
  • Hunam 12 Sep 2008 19:01:08 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Meh, all seems to work fine for me, never hinders me once.
  • soviet_ 12 Sep 2008 19:12:21 72 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's the principle of it. I might cancel my pre-order and download it
  • Whizzo 12 Sep 2008 19:24:54 42,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So you'll become part of the reason why the DRM was put in place in the first place?

My God, your logic is supreme!

This space left intentionally blank.

• Feanor 12 Sep 2008 19:32:04 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Securom does nothing to stop pirate downloads - Spore was cracked and on torrents before it shipped.
  • Whizzo 12 Sep 2008 19:34:48 42,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    And yet you can't use the online side of the game so you're missing out on a lot of that title.

So stealing a copy as a protest at the DRM is fine then? If you want to send a message to EA about it you don't touch their product at all not pilfer it.

• BobsYourUncle 12 Sep 2008 20:04:05 719 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who plays Crysis online?
  • Hunam 12 Sep 2008 20:08:31 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Securom does nothing to stop pirate downloads - Spore was cracked and on torrents before it shipped.

But Bioshock took months to crack. Pointless argument.
  • Whizzo 12 Sep 2008 20:10:16 42,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BobsYourUncle wrote:
    Who plays Crysis online?
    The comment was about Spore as the previously mentioned title having been hacked pre-release.

• Bloodloss 12 Sep 2008 20:15:03 4,499 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Is it possible they've gotten better at hacking it now and as a result learned since Bioshock etc, and can do it way faster like with Spore?
  • Feanor 12 Sep 2008 20:30:27 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Feanor wrote:

What's pointless is putting draconian DRM on Spore that puts people off buying it, but that doesn't prevent hundreds of thousands of pirates torrenting it before it's actually released.
  • matrim83 12 Sep 2008 20:35:37 5,585 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    And yet you can't use the online side of the game so you're missing out on a lot of that title.

So stealing a copy as a protest at the DRM is fine then? If you want to send a message to EA about it you don't touch their product at all not pilfer it.

I think you are deliberately missing the point. Piracy (in this thread so far anyway) is not being advocated to "make a point" but to rather do all the things the DRM wont let you. ie multiple installs on more than one machine,no on line activation needed, no need to have Securom on the PC etc.

Its still wrong though but I can see why EA will loose sales.

If its a limited install thing I WILL give this a miss. I can live with Securom, online activation etc. But limited installs will kill the deal for me. I paid for it, if I want to replay it a couple of years down the line I dont want to buy it again.

Valar morghulis.

• Deleted user 12 September 2008 21:09:19
    matrim83 wrote:
    I can see why EA will loose sales.

Yeah, it's not like Spore is the biggest individual format seller at the moment or anything.
  • Hunam 12 Sep 2008 21:26:14 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Hunam wrote:
    Feanor wrote:

What's pointless is putting draconian DRM on Spore that puts people off buying it, but that doesn't prevent hundreds of thousands of pirates torrenting it before it's actually released.

I meant as in arguing from Spore's case. Other games, such as AITD and Bioshock took along time to crack (if they even have done). Spore was released digitally on several services which very well could have been the version cracked. Basically, some do great, some do shit. There may be other reasons why spore got cracked.

If everyone wasn't stealing games like the apocolypse is coming then we wouldn't have got ourselves in this mess really.
  • Deleted user 12 September 2008 21:31:14
    Be interesting to see the sales for C:W, actually. Technology's had a chance to catch up, and they've allegedly refined the engine so the needed specs are lower anyway.

Also, the thing with the DRM protests is that the internet brigade is the vocal minority. They represent a fraction of consumers (especially with Spore - a whole heap of people would buy it without even bothering to read a review, simply because it's "By the guy who made The Sims"), and I'd be willing to bet that, hypocritically, a fair percentage of that minority actually bought the game.
  • Tomo 12 Sep 2008 22:12:14 13,839 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FS, Warhead has this Securom BS too? That really, really, really sucks :/
  • Hunam 12 Sep 2008 22:14:34 20,674 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well considering the rampant piracy of the first one, i'm baffled by any surprise.
  • Whizzo 12 Sep 2008 22:52:21 42,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    matrim83 wrote:I think you are deliberately missing the point.
    What the poster said was that he doesn't agree with the DRM so they won't buy it they'll just download it instead.

Not he'll buy it (to support the software house that made it for their efforts) and download the dodgy copy and play that to stick two fingers up at EA and avoid some annoying restrictions.

It's rather daft to take the moral high ground about DRM and bitch at EA but decide you want what they're selling but you won't pay for it under the pretext that "the man" is screwing you.

• FooAtari 12 Sep 2008 23:43:46 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Warhead has SecuROM? Damn, wont be buying it then.
  • Feanor 13 Sep 2008 00:25:28 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Gremmi wrote:
    Also, the thing with the DRM protests is that the internet brigade is the vocal minority. They represent a fraction of consumers (especially with Spore - a whole heap of people would buy it without even bothering to read a review, simply because it's "By the guy who made The Sims"), and I'd be willing to bet that, hypocritically, a fair percentage of that minority actually bought the game.

And some of those "heap" will find that their DVD drive no longer burns DVDs and never know that their legally purchased game was what fucked it up.

You only have to look at the Amazon reviews of some the Sims 2 expansion packs to see what Securom has done in the past.
  • Orange 13 Sep 2008 00:29:19 4,564 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck all you pirates up the arse :p

Glad to see the game is getting strong reviews, I was bit disappointed by Spore and avoided Clear Sky due to disappointing reviews, so will be good to properly kick off the Autumn to Winter run with something which lives up to expectations.
  • Ajay 13 Sep 2008 00:32:26 2,412 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Not he'll buy it (to support the software house that made it for their efforts) and download the dodgy copy and play that to stick two fingers up at EA and avoid some annoying restrictions.

The problem with that is that you're still rewarding them for shafting us legitimate users. Much as I like the idea, the 'buy it, use the downloaded copy' won't discourage the pricks responsible for this toss from implementing it again, since the shit-eating imbeciles still get your hard-earned.
  • Whizzo 13 Sep 2008 12:35:48 42,759 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Er in a rather strange course of events, Warhead is being released on Steam.

It's up on Steam now for pre-purchase for $29.99, so it's a bit more expensive than buying a cheap disc copy from Play.

• PearOfAnguish 13 Sep 2008 12:55:10 6,989 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So it is. Crysis, Warhead and Crysis Wars (?) have just appeared on my Steam list.
  • Red-Moose 13 Sep 2008 13:15:57 5,345 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm. It's a moment of truth: if EA are going to put games on Steam, are they going to stick with standard Steam DRM or add in Securom DRM on top (like the Bioshock demo from 2007).

If it's a question of now needing to activate by Steam, then activate by Securom, then still have limited installs and all for a hihger price and no game media, then holy fucking christ I will not be buying.
  • Feanor 13 Sep 2008 14:12:27 13,921 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow, it's on Steam even though Spore isn't. Hopefully we'll know soon just what the DRM situation is with the Steam version.
  • dsmx 13 Sep 2008 14:19:01 7,412 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    it's on steam because EA only publish crysis they don't own crysis so crytek can put it up anywhere.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 9 First / Last