I don't think they're listening.
  • Lord~jazon 23 Sep 2008 02:38:15 196 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • dsmx 23 Sep 2008 03:18:25 7,651 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In every way warhead is a better game however it comes at the cost of pop in at 50 ft and that is close to ruining the game for me. When you see rocks, trees, bushes and grass pop in at close range you can't help but notice and get distracted by it.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Ravenger 23 Sep 2008 07:31:00 190 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Played it for a bit last night. I was disappointed that they've replaced some of the in-game cutscenes with pre-rendered cutscenes based on in-game graphics. One of the cool things about the first game is that all the cutscenes were in-game, but looked as good as most pre-rendered scenes in other games.

I'm not sure it looks as good as Crysis. The pop-in, particularly on the foliage is much more noticeable.
  • Red-Moose 24 Sep 2008 20:52:25 5,346 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My perf is okay, around 35-40fps, at 1600x1200 on High, except Shaders are medium. For some reason Shaders screw up the frame rate. Also, I had SLI disabled initially. It definitely required more fiddling to get a smooth running frame rate c/t Crysis.
  • Turrican 25 Sep 2008 11:57:13 27 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes, I have to agree with the above, having only played it a short while the pop up is immediately noticable as a step backwards from Crysis. Feels like I'm playing it on Xbox where it spools the graphics from the dvd.
  • Hunam 25 Sep 2008 12:04:43 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    No aliens next time, eh Crytek?

I like shooting aliens.

/pew pew
  • Ravenger 26 Sep 2008 11:03:49 190 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried that config file that Commisar recommended and it works very well. A very noticable speed boost with no drop in visual quality that I can see.
  • jaym 9 Oct 2008 08:30:17 1 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    tried.. played.... satisfied with graphics... but i dint like the lenght at all.. 7GB and such a short game play.... crysis rocks but the game is just to short... now waiting for COD 5... may be that will rock.....

also i guess there's no need to change the configs new settings are upto date.... also works good on low res cards??

JayM
    Alcohol Treatment Clinic - http://www.alcoholtreatmentclinics.com
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2008 08:43:16 35,719 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What's with all the complaints about pop in? The original Crysis has horrible draw distance for the objects - if anything, they have improved the pop in significantly.
  • FooAtari 9 Oct 2008 10:02:35 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    What's with all the complaints about pop in? The original Crysis has horrible draw distance for the objects - if anything, they have improved the pop in significantly.

?

I found the pop-in to be far far worse in Warhead. In fact they have optimized bugger all with Warhead, just seen what people have been doing with custom configs and done the same thing. Not exactly what I would call optimizing the engine.

But as Warhead crashes on every second game save for me I haven't played more than a couple of hours in.
  • Hunam 9 Oct 2008 10:08:34 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:

Must be different set ups. As far as I can tell from reviews and other info it is all scaled to the machine irrespective of the options chosen in the settings. Tried it on my dad's machine which has a weaker gfx card with less memory but twice as much system ram and the pop up was much more reduced, I then lowered the settings on my pc to mainstream (except for Sound, Texture and Shaders which were at gamer) and there was much less pop up.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2008 10:08:52 35,719 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I really can't agree with that at all - Warhead runs significantly better on my PC - I am now playing in 1680*1050 in DX10 on the "gamer" settings, and all the effects that were sacrificed or toned down quite a bit for the custom configs in Crysis (like Motion Blur etc.) are still there. Maybe I haven't seen the latest configs though, I played Crysis immediately after the launch, and even with the custom configs at that time, I had no chance to run it in that visual quality or resolution.

And even with "object quality" set to the highest level in the original Crysis, the pop-in was rather annoying. I would say it definitely isn't worse in Warhead, quite on the contrary.

edit:

@Hunam:
    Hm, yeah, that's possible.
  • Hunam 9 Oct 2008 10:11:37 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted
  • FooAtari 9 Oct 2008 11:37:54 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well for me it doesn't look much different or run much better than the best configs that were available for Crysis. I might be getting an extra few frames over crysis which is to be expected as Crytek should know better than anyone how to get the game running well. But I stand by comment that they haven't actually optimized the actual engine one bit just designed the game itself to run better.

Do a search for Crysis looking at it's best and warhead looking at it's best, there are some comparisons out there. Warhead can't get to the same level as Crysis. Although to be fair few people can run Crysis at it's best. Warhead is what Crysis should have looked like in the first place, and it was obliviously the Crysis community that showed Crytek the way forward.
  • UncleLou Moderator 9 Oct 2008 18:12:12 35,719 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Right, you want to hear something utterly absurd?

I just upgraded from 2GB to 4 GB. First thing I tried was Crysis Warhead, and while it's now obviously a tad smoother than before, I now get the horrible pop-in. I literally see the grass grow ahead of me now. As the case was still opened, I made sure I am not going crazy, and removed the 2GB again. And guess what, the pop-in is gone, or at least a lot less noticable.

WTF. And it's just the opposite of what Hunam noticed.
  • FooAtari 9 Oct 2008 22:17:29 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    I now get the horrible pop-in. I literally see the grass grow ahead of me now

Thats exactly what it's like on mine. Another example is I sawan enemy dude in the distance but clear line of site. So I zoomed in on him with the scope and suddenly a huge bolder appeared appeared between him and me so I coudln't get the shot. Its a bit crap when it effects the game like that.

Out of interest I have 3gb of ram.
  • PearOfAnguish 9 Oct 2008 22:19:43 7,380 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got 4GB too. The pop-in is terrible. Must be a setting gone screwy.

FooAtari wrote:
    Another example is I sawan enemy dude in the distance but clear line of site. So I zoomed in on him with the scope and suddenly a huge bolder appeared appeared between him and me so I coudln't get the shot.

That happened in Crysis too.
  • FooAtari 10 Oct 2008 12:11:45 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PearOfAnguish wrote:
    I've got 4GB too. The pop-in is terrible. Must be a setting gone screwy.

FooAtari wrote:
    Another example is I sawan enemy dude in the distance but clear line of site. So I zoomed in on him with the scope and suddenly a huge bolder appeared appeared between him and me so I coudln't get the shot.

That happened in Crysis too.

Hmmm. I only had 2Gb RAM when playing Crysis and I don't recall that problem.
  • byron_hinson 10 Oct 2008 19:06:39 1,513 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The popup and dire slow loading texture problem is part of Warhead not Crysis
  • Hunam 10 Oct 2008 19:11:51 20,674 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Right, you want to hear something utterly absurd?

I just upgraded from 2GB to 4 GB. First thing I tried was Crysis Warhead, and while it's now obviously a tad smoother than before, I now get the horrible pop-in. I literally see the grass grow ahead of me now. As the case was still opened, I made sure I am not going crazy, and removed the 2GB again. And guess what, the pop-in is gone, or at least a lot less noticable.

WTF. And it's just the opposite of what Hunam noticed.

That is... I have no idea what's going on there. Ducks throw water at ballon situation there :S
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Oct 2008 11:33:22 35,719 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've just played the mine section of this - and loved it to bits. For all the great foliage and landscape vistas outdoors, the underground section might just be the most graphically impressive piece of computer gaming I've ever seen. It looks like playing a fucking movie. Wow.
  • Orange 19 Oct 2008 11:40:22 4,849 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finally got round to finishing this last night. Miles better than Crysis, some lovely setpieces and environments, although the alien bits are again not quite as satisfying as fighting koreans.

It just made me want Farcry 2 even more though, I'm not a big fan of the uber suit powers and I want to do more open world fighting and less setpieces.
  • StixxUK 19 Oct 2008 11:51:04 7,264 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been playing this. Never played the original Crysis and haven't got that far yet... just to the first freezy bit.

I don't really see what all the fuss is about. CoD 4 on the 360 looks more realistic.

And the half track at the holiday resort near the beginning was a right pain in the arse to kill.
  • Page

of 9 First / Last