Crysis Warhead Page 5

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Red-Moose 18 Sep 2008 21:14:06 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Steam says it's out today (18th) worldwide. I bought it, and it's still saying pre-order now. What wank.

But for 25, i think the price is fine for a DRM'd game.
  • George-Roper 18 Sep 2008 22:03:04 708 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, at first I was going to get this, then I heard about the DRM, so decided to Steam it. Then I heard about the Steam-version DRM and decided to fuck it off.

Shame really, enjoyed Crysis, but EA wont get a motherfucking penny off me, for this. Fuck em.
  • Hunam 18 Sep 2008 22:44:45 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SO THIS DRM STUFF? CRAZY HUH?
  • WrongShui 18 Sep 2008 22:48:17 6,624 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It killed my family did DRM.
  • FixedInfinity 18 Sep 2008 23:58:08 1,682 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Play are finally packing now. Dispatch on release date, pfft!
  • DodgyPast 19 Sep 2008 01:01:06 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Still really looking forward to playing the game, just a pity I'm going away for the weekend so I have to wait until Sunday to play it.
  • dsmx 19 Sep 2008 01:03:51 7,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EA will be determined to stop this game hitting the torrents before release date so they will be after anyone who releases it before the release date. They failed miserably but are you going to do?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• neilka 19 Sep 2008 01:10:34 16,563 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's up on Steam now for us Europlebs.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• DodgyPast 19 Sep 2008 01:13:56 8,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's also already cracked.
  • aids 19 Sep 2008 02:36:31 12 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SecuROM is developed by Sony.

Why am I not surprised?
  • Dire 19 Sep 2008 03:57:21 1,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    got to the 2nd level and have had a crash to desktop. I'm giving up and going to bed :(
  • dsmx 19 Sep 2008 04:53:14 7,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    well technically sony aren't forcing anyone to put securom on their games they are providing a service and people pay for it. As a business if it makes you money why stop doing it?

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• silentbob 19 Sep 2008 08:15:57 29,029 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Big debacle regarding the 'worldwide' release of this. In actual fact, the majority of the 'world' weren't able to download the game until early this morning.

I'm sick and tired of US-centric fuckwits controlling the world of games. Get a passport you cunts!

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• FooAtari 19 Sep 2008 10:09:28 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Valve have a much better way of dealing with piracy. Much preferable to EA's current method.

No install limits, but it can be played one computer at any one time, but installed on any number of computers. That's fair enough, only bought one copy of the game. And being associated with your steam account is preferable to having Securom installed. At least with Steam you know what you are installing.
  • Hunam 19 Sep 2008 10:20:48 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Can we have a specific DRM thread? Wading through it all in Spore, Crysis Warhead and Red Alert 3 thread's is becoming a chore.
  • UncleLou Moderator 19 Sep 2008 10:30:45 35,856 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    Can we have a specific DRM thread? Wading through it all in Spore, Crysis Warhead and Red Alert 3 thread's is becoming a chore.

Oh yes, please.
  • Red-Moose 19 Sep 2008 11:47:11 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I downloaded this from Steam but didn't get a chance to load it up yet.

For the 23 or whatever you gets Warhead and Crysis Wars which is nice. wars is 5Gb though! Warhead is 2GB, the whole thing still took a while at 1.5-2MB/sec but I have to say I am impressed with the speed of the Steam servers.

Looking forward to playing it this evening....:)

EDIT: there are also loads of torrents available. I suppose it's at the stage now of wait for a pirate torrent at a few hundred kb or pay for Steam and get a faster download.
  • Wyrm 19 Sep 2008 16:34:17 175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Forget the DRM a second, does it actually run better than the original?
  • neilka 19 Sep 2008 16:41:59 16,563 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Moose wrote:
    I suppose it's at the stage now of wait for a pirate torrent at a few hundred kb or pay for Steam and get a faster download.

Also one is legal and one isn't.

BAAANG!!!!! EXPLOTION!!!!!

• Hunam 19 Sep 2008 21:00:48 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Impressions so far are mixed. The gameplay is fine, spot on really. It's a lot more intense and high action than Crysis with alot of well thought out scenario's and battles and a whole lot more direction. That's fine, but the presentation is where it suffers.

Firstly, for some utterly unintelligable reason the menu is made Idiot, with Low, Medium, High and Very High being replaced by silly monikers like Minimum, Mainstream, Gamer and Enthusiast. Why? Fuck knows. The next problem is this new improved performance, which is 100% there, it's flying like a dream on my PC, but to do this they have tweaked some of the settings in bad ways. Small objects now pop in like your at a club hopped up an acid, dumping textures from memory is now alot keener, so sometimes if you turn round the object (in one case, a car) you are standing against is right back to low textures, it also is alot more linient and loading the textures up so noticable texture pop up. But hey, runs faster.

Another big lack of polish is the cutscenes. It's obvious they have not had the resources of the original in this respect. Often facial shots are avoided so they don't have to do lip sync and the all round quality of animation is alot more jerky and not as polished as the original. Then you have the what I like to call "PS2" cutscenes. These are FMV's pre-rendered using the games assets. For some reason they just seem to look bland. The textures look okay but it looks as if alot of the quality and bump filters are missing so everything looks flat, just like the ps2 days, and has an awesome bit where he is holding a clip board that is half his height, which looks terrible when you look at the original and everything in the cutscenes is the proper size and not the old school "representation". It's also worth noting that the animations is these FMV's are far lower than the ingame ones, it also contains the most boring dog fight ever.

There is also a disappointing bit with a big alien from the original which makes a once fearsome foe easy to kill, almost stock with one of the worst explosions ever. Then again, if you like pretty graphics that do look better than the original (except for the pop in) and solid gameplay you should enjoy it, just realise that it is a 20 game rather than a full budgetathon like the first.
  • Deleted user 19 September 2008 21:08:35
    Ace Grace wrote:
    Just picked up the original crysis in Game for 20.

Was that reduced today due to the launch of Warhead? I was in town a couple of days ago, and all the stores there still had it for 35.
  • dsmx 19 Sep 2008 23:29:10 7,734 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well as a game warhead is much better then crysis but the engine optimisations are really distracting seeing stuff pop up less than 50ft is unforgivable even the bf2 engine gets things to pop in at a further distance than that. At long range it still renders enemies though but not bushes so you can see enemies when not using the scope on your weapon then you zoom in and you can't see them anymore.

When you get to the ice bits the pop in becomes really distracting as you can see further. That being said I'm running warhead on a 8800GTS 320MB at a much higher frame rate than I ever could manage with crysis.

• Hunam 19 Sep 2008 23:32:14 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The latest beta nvidia drivers are kinda coupled with Warhead, it changes pop up to some horrendous dither-in method that is so ugly and noticeable I had to move back to the current WHQL ones.

PC graphics are looking a little silly at the moment.
  • deem 19 Sep 2008 23:35:36 31,641 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's no wonder this game runs faster than Crysis - the corners cut are more noticeable by the second. Basically, it feels like they've taken one of the FPS boost user configs from Crysis and slapped it on here. Things like the depth of field blur have gone (just the weapon blurs now), and the pop-up that's been mentioned, plus explosion effects are just a world away from those in Crysis, object detail/structure is also surprisingly crude in places.

Not impressed personally.

• FooAtari 19 Sep 2008 23:40:12 3,955 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Hunam wrote:

Oh yes, please.

Well if EA didn't use such shitty DRM methods it woudnt be a problem.
  • Hunam 19 Sep 2008 23:51:23 20,674 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Didn't they say they wanted to patch the performance improvements back onto Crysis? Well they can fucking keep 'em.
  • ilmaestro 20 Sep 2008 21:48:47 32,537 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hunam wrote:
    So, er, yeah, I agree with this, to some extent. What exactly are the problems inherent to buying and installing Warhead? Because I don't feel 100% motivated to bother with it anyway.

• PearOfAnguish 21 Sep 2008 17:44:06 7,501 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's alright. Feels a bit more linear than Crysis, and the alien bullshit is still annoying, but there are some nice set-pieces. Nothing as impressive as the harbour from Crysis, but the mine and train sections are excellent.

No aliens next time, eh Crytek?
  • Red-Moose 23 Sep 2008 00:43:23 5,345 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm only around half way through. I think it's fantastic, a lot more action packed then Crysis in that the waves of enemies and supply of ammo seems a lot more.

Graphics are excellent, and definitely smoother on my system vs the original.

Need to finish it before far cry 2!
  • autogunner 23 Sep 2008 01:47:06 119 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    it is a much better game than crysis, better pacing, characterisation, and action than the orginal
  • Page

of 9 First / Last