Cider

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous
  • asha 1 Jun 2008 01:46:45 1,991 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Most of my mates seem to talk about cider like its some unhealthy drink that gives you bad hangovers and makes you unhealthy but I've found myself that it has much better effects then largers for instance, I mean you don't get a 'cider-belly' do you?

Who else prefers cider to larger here?

My favorites are definitely Blackthorn (Which I always find funny as I used to go to a primary school on 'Blackthorn Road' :D) and Scrumpy Jacks.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• Deleted user 1 June 2008 01:48:17
    I hate cider, wine and champagne.
  • asha 1 Jun 2008 01:52:21 1,991 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    KILLA wrote:
    I hate cider, wine and champagne.

Positive response to this thread so far \o/

Honestly I can understand why you don't like them, they are very acidic drinks which has an adverse reaction with somepeople

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• DaisyD 1 Jun 2008 02:11:56 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We bought lots of cider back from france yesterday. I much prefer it. Plus it's a lot healthier on the gut. Lots of people have minor wheat intolerances that they don't necessarily know about, which beer obviously doesn't help! If you drink pure juice and organic ciders then it's far better for you. Even most normal ones are much better as they don't have all the chemicals most big brand lagers have in these days. That's part of the reason for less of a hangover.

Basically your friends are wrong. However, you seriously need to discover other ciders - blackthorn is not one of the better ones.
  • DaM 1 Jun 2008 08:09:24 13,332 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    We bought lots of cider back from france yesterday. I much prefer it. Plus it's a lot healthier on the gut. Lots of people have minor wheat intolerances that they don't necessarily know about, which beer obviously doesn't help! If you drink pure juice and organic ciders then it's far better for you. Even most normal ones are much better as they don't have all the chemicals most big brand lagers have in these days. That's part of the reason for less of a hangover.

Basically your friends are wrong. However, you seriously need to discover other ciders - blackthorn is not one of the better ones.

I drink a lot of cider in France, it's the best. I've tried lots of English ones to try and find one I like better, to no avail. Sainsbury's do a not too bad imported Normandy cider.
  • Dougs 1 Jun 2008 08:14:01 68,412 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The in-laws live in Britanny. I've tried to get on with their cider, but have largely failed. I've always hated cider, but thought I'd give it a go....
  • DUFFMAN5 1 Jun 2008 08:26:35 14,972 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm drinking cider now*

*not really but I did have 2 tinnies last night. Kepp telling the Mrs I'm going to start drinking Frosty Jack (is that right ?)!

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• DaisyD 1 Jun 2008 13:17:52 11,826 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Our fridge has more cider in it than beer, juice and mineral water! :D
  • DFective 1 Jun 2008 19:20:02 2,013 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I used to drink loads of cider until I downed a bottle and threw up in a park. Can't even stand the smell of the stuff now. Then again I was about 16 at the time :S
  • Trowel 1 Jun 2008 19:24:31 17,908 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lager/larger? Whatever.

Spent last night at The Apple, a cracking cider boat in Bristol. Opened a couple of years ago and used to be a reasonably popular venue, but recently has become incredibly so.

Cider is the new gin.
  • souljah 1 Jun 2008 19:26:19 4,701 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As soon as I hear the word "cider", the immediate association is being 17 years old, draped over a puke covered toilet, and ceiling spinning after a load of pints of Bulmers.

Since then, can't even look at cider.
  • Metalfish 1 Jun 2008 19:28:09 8,830 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Lager/larger? Whatever.

Spent last night at The Apple, a cracking cider boat in Bristol. Opened a couple of years ago and used to be a reasonably popular venue, but recently has become incredibly so.

Cider is the new gin.
    Ooooooooohh, I've been meaning to go there. I've been to the Corrie tap and had a couple of exhibitions, those are rather nice but not as amazing as my uninitiated student brethern will have you beleive.
  • Trowel 1 Jun 2008 19:34:46 17,908 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Lager/larger? Whatever.

Cider is the new gin.
    Ooooooooohh, I've been meaning to go there. I've been to the Corrie tap and had a couple of exhibitions, those are rather nice but not as amazing as my uninitiated student brethern will have you beleive.
    I always find Exhibition to be a half pint blending the fun of sugar and razorblades. Moved onto pear cider these days, much more rewarding!
  • Metalfish 1 Jun 2008 19:38:27 8,830 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tbh I tend to drink Kopperbergs when I'm not trying to get drunk, and ludicrusly strong vintages when I'm feeling fancy/thirsty. I'm no expert, but I found Weston's vintage Perry something of a disappointment, so if you've any suggestions for a good strong one I'm all ears.

EDIT: I was at a beer festival last year and there was an excellent Kingston Black variety but I've been unable to find one as good since.
  • FairgroundTown 1 Jun 2008 19:51:01 2,522 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DaisyD wrote:
    Even most normal ones are much better as they don't have all the chemicals most big brand lagers have in these days.
    Strongbow contains artificial sweetener, doesn't it?
  • GloatingSwine 1 Jun 2008 23:00:59 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Don't tend to go for the common bottled cider. Proper cider is well nice though, but you can rarely get it out of the southern lands.
  • Alastair 2 Jun 2008 08:58:51 16,051 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I quite like the Aspalls cider that comes in quite a tall bottle.

There's nothing quite like the appley aroma you get when you go for a piss afterwards! :o)
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jun 2008 09:04:51 44,506 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Borough Market Vintage Kingston Black single apple cider > all.

Although possibly highly pretentious as well...

If you want to be healthy though, drink champagne - fewer calories.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• X201 2 Jun 2008 09:05:31 15,581 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Proper cider = \o/

Mass produced commercial stuff = shite

Prats who buy in to the whole "cider & ice" is a trendy drink bollocks need their heads looking at.
  • otto Moderator 2 Jun 2008 09:07:59 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What ever you do, don't order cider at a bar in the USA or Canada!

They'll give you hot apple juice. o_O

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Hog-lumps 2 Jun 2008 09:20:53 946 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    asha wrote:
    Most of my mates seem to talk about cider like its some unhealthy drink that gives you bad hangovers and makes you unhealthy but I've found myself that it has much better effects then largers for instance, I mean you don't get a 'cider-belly' do you?

It does give you a red nose and if you're not carefull, makes you teeth fall out though* ;)
  • Tiger_Walts 2 Jun 2008 10:28:58 16,607 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A few of the pubs around here do bottles of Green Goblin. Dry, strong and slightly acidic. A bit too fizzy mind, the non-fizzy scrumpys at about 9% are the best.

The bar staff at one of my locals tell people off if they order shite like Strongbow and direct them towards the cheaper but far better Westons and Thatchers pumps.

IT Monkey and StickyPiston Minecraft Hosting Support

• smoothpete 2 Jun 2008 10:39:54 31,574 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aaaar I loikes cider I do. IMHO Herefordshire produces the finest cider in the land, but I'm partial to everything really. Apart from Magners which is gimmicky bollocks. Although nice on a hot summers day
  • otto Moderator 2 Jun 2008 10:52:45 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems like a good excuse

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• MrSensible 2 Jun 2008 10:54:05 25,215 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love cider. Green Goblin is easily my favourite. God I could really go for one later on!
  • MrSensible 2 Jun 2008 10:54:40 25,215 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    otto wrote:
    What ever you do, don't order cider at a bar in the USA or Canada!

They'll give you hot apple juice. o_O

Whaaaaaaat!?!?
  • otto Moderator 2 Jun 2008 10:56:14 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, a bit of a shock I can tell you!!

They also sell it by the roadside, in big plastic jugs. "Bargain!" you think to yourself - until you crack it open and discover it's just apple juice with some cinnamon flavouring! Blech!

Apparently, over there, 'cider' just means pressed apple juice (the cloudy stuff). Tragic, really. They call proper cider 'hard cider'.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Alastair 2 Jun 2008 11:02:01 16,051 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Yeah, a bit of a shock I can tell you!!

They also sell it by the roadside, in big plastic jugs. "Bargain!" you think to yourself - until you crack it open and discover it's just apple juice with some cinnamon flavouring! Blech!

Apparently, over there, 'cider' just means pressed apple juice (the cloudy stuff). Tragic, really. They call proper cider 'hard cider'.

Those crazy Americans!
    Our Atlanta office has sachets of Swiss Miss Spiced Apple Cider drink next to the teabags and coffee percolator. Actually, it's quite tasty...
  • Retroid Moderator 2 Jun 2008 11:02:53 45,010 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Seems like a good excuse
    I was just about to post that! \o/
  • otto Moderator 2 Jun 2008 12:31:22 49,320 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Couldn't find the article I was thinking of, but LOL at this Canadian journo reporting on the exotic cocktail snakebite. :D

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous