What's with play.com? Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• Deleted user 31 May 2008 16:08:27
    My wife them with a passion - they mucked up her Xmas shopping last year.

However I`ve never (yet) had any probs - GTA IV on day of release for example.

Mind you, I have pre-ordered Pilot Wings Wii on there, and it would seem to be a phantom pre-order situation so far .....
  • DingoScream 31 May 2008 16:09:09 91 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Play have always been ridiculously fast for me. I've ordered tons of things from them, they always arrive on time.

I get it either perfectly on time (GTAIV) or a week late (WoW) every time. I think they're a bit hit and miss, though to be fair their depot is in Jersey I hear
  • Kostabi 31 May 2008 16:25:11 4,932 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    macksed wrote:
    :D YAY! i rang them up and the lady on the phone (samantha) was sooo very helpful. She said they sent it out by parcel force and they've lost its tracking number, so they're sending me another one today! and also, I'd got a bluetooth headset today that wasnt working and the site wasn't letting me ask to return it so she sorted that out as well!

My faith in play.com has been somewhat restored!

Excellent. I've always had good experiences when I've had to phone them in the past, mostly over 360 related woes but it always helps that the ladies on the other end sound (and are) lovely as well.
  • macksed 31 May 2008 17:15:54 3,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IT GETS BETTER!
    both items have now been posted... even though i haven't even returned the faulty one! madness...
    /considers buying sixaxis twin pack from them because they've been so good ...even though i should really have both functioning products already minus the hassle... ... its a good deal though!
  • oldschoolsoviet 31 May 2008 17:28:13 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Personally, Play have gone to the dogs in the past 6 months. Really slow delivery (2-3 days to a week at best), their site doesn't work on the PS3 browser (won't allow login because it believes cookies are blocked), and the recent redesign has left my lil' PSP struggling to cope.

I used to like them, but they're not worth the hassle anymore.
  • Benno 31 May 2008 17:30:05 9,910 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah i am not going to order anything from play.com again since the AoC fuckup and slow delivery times on most their stock.
  • macksed 31 May 2008 17:35:20 3,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    Personally, Play have gone to the dogs in the past 6 months. Really slow delivery (2-3 days to a week at best), their site doesn't work on the PS3 browser (won't allow login because it believes cookies are blocked), and the recent redesign has left my lil' PSP struggling to cope.

use a computer???
    but yeah, they've definitely gotten much slower and it puts me off... but if they're cheaper and I'm in no rush I don't see why not to use them...
  • oldschoolsoviet 31 May 2008 17:57:02 5,478 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macksed wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

Play = rubbish
    use a computer ??
    Yeah, I don't have a PC. More hassle, ain't they ? :)
    Surely a company like Play would check compatibility with alternative browsers ? Unfortunately not, especially in todays modern "everyone has a PC" Britain.
  • HiddenAway 2 Jun 2008 19:04:09 14,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I've been told that Jersey had a Goods Services Tax introduced recently and that because officials are checking packages that come into the island, it's causing a backlog over there for both incoming and outgoing mail. If an item doesn't have the correct information on it, the package gets returned and may become lost.

In the short term, it's probably good to avoid them then...

On Twitter: @HiddenAway1

• macksed 3 Jun 2008 13:02:35 3,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    now its more like whats with Parcel Force?!

So it turns out they lost the camera the first time round ... fair enough, play.com sent another.

...so i go on the tracking site.. to find its been delivered!..wait, I'm at home, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't!... So i looked at the address and it had been delivered to some random address around the corner, to strangers.

So i went over and picked it up... and I've got it now... but what's with that?! madness...
  • dnbuk 5 Jun 2008 16:24:24 4,950 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I ordered a couple of DVDs on fri/saturday and one of them turned up today.
  • DodgyPast 5 Jun 2008 17:38:36 8,475 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Grid arrived on release day and I have my fingers crossed for Mass Effect.

So far anything from 2 days to a week for deliveries, though normally quicker rather than slower.

I just buy from them because they're generally the cheapest, so it saves me looking around for a bargain.
  • FixedInfinity 5 Jun 2008 17:47:59 1,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mass Effect was dispatched today so I'm hoping it'll turn up tomorrow... But I doubt it.
    Especially seeing when Rock Band was sent on the Thursday it didn't turn up until Saturday.

Does make me ponder not bothering with pre-orders with them anymore, but doesn't look like I'll have much choice with the Warhammer and Fallout 3 collectors editions.
  • funkstar 5 Jun 2008 17:49:46 1,194 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HiddenAway wrote:
    I've been told that Jersey had a Goods Services Tax introduced recently and that because officials are checking packages that come into the island, it's causing a backlog over there for both incoming and outgoing mail. If an item doesn't have the correct information on it, the package gets returned and may become lost.

In the short term, it's probably good to avoid them then...

its only for items over 400, most stuff isnt affected

The Lives of Nobody Important Paperback

• poxymoron 5 Jun 2008 17:51:40 67 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    macksed wrote:
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:

use a computer???
    but yeah, they've definitely gotten much slower and it puts me off... but if they're cheaper and I'm in no rush I don't see why not to use them...

I've found shopto.net much cheaper than play.com the last few times I have bought any games. For example, NG2 is only 32.99 at shopto, whereas play are selling it for 39.99.
  • Mattattattatt 5 Jun 2008 18:10:30 580 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When I was up north, it used to take maybe 3-5 days to get things from Amazon. Then I moved not so far away from their main warehouse and the parcels would be with me in two days... anyone who has a love of tracking parcels will know that parcels can easily spent a day sat in a hub before getting sent out for delivery (or to the next hub if it's travelling far enough).

It's back to being longer now so many entertainment items come from Indigo Starfish if you order them through Amazon. Typical!

As to Play, I like them but when I ordered 12 Studio Ghibli films when they all went on sale, they packaged and sent each one separately, nearly all of which arrived on the same day carried by the same postman. Which seemed slightly ridiculous.
  • macksed 5 Jun 2008 22:06:31 3,798 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    macksed wrote:
    now its more like whats with Parcel Force?!

So it turns out they lost the camera the first time round ... fair enough, play.com sent another.

...so i go on the tracking site.. to find its been delivered!..wait, I'm at home, and I'm pretty sure it hasn't!... So i looked at the address and it had been delivered to some random address around the corner, to strangers.

So i went over and picked it up... and I've got it now... but what's with that?! madness...
    emailed them to complain... the delivery man had been given a telling off (disciplinary action"") and are now monitoring him. Apparently they're also going to be a guardian angel over all other future packages to my address to make sure we never have any problems again... hmm
  • DodgyPast 6 Jun 2008 13:17:54 8,475 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mass Effect did turn up today \o/
  • HiddenAway 6 Jun 2008 18:51:38 14,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EG2 didn't ;_;

A CD I ordered last week arrived though. Dispatched Monday so maybe, just maybe, I'll get the game tomorrow.

Oh wait, I'm not around till the evening :-(

• dnbuk 7 Jun 2008 02:29:38 4,950 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dnbuk wrote:
    I ordered a couple of DVDs on fri/saturday and one of them turned up today.

Second one still hasn't turned up.
  • FixedInfinity 7 Jun 2008 10:52:46 1,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DodgyPast wrote:
    Mass Effect did turn up today \o/
    Same. :D

A little bit of faith in Play has been restored...
  • HiddenAway 7 Jun 2008 15:51:43 14,896 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    EG2 arrived today. Par for their pre-orders really.

/gets coat

• Lyingarden 7 Jun 2008 15:58:03 358 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Can't say I've ever had any problems with them.

Ordered a DVD from them on Wednesday night, was dispatched Thursday morning and arrived today. And I live in Durham!

Amazon, on the other hand...
  • CitizenGeek 8 Jun 2008 00:18:13 3,465 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Play.com have never been "quick" in the time I've been using the internet.

I also agree: Play.com are a good company, but they are not to be relied on when it comes to speedy deliveries.
  • billythekid 4 Aug 2010 16:04:13 11,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Website is really slow today, can somebody try it and let me know if it's slow or whether it's just slow for me please?
  • Murbal 4 Aug 2010 16:04:54 22,236 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    billythekid wrote:
    Website is really slow today, can somebody try it and let me know if it's slow or whether it's just slow for me please?

Same for me, couldn't reach it at all earlier.
  • billythekid 4 Aug 2010 16:11:31 11,138 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah, cheers.
  • Flying_Pig 4 Aug 2010 16:18:27 11,014 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yep - not working, or V slow
  • JayG 4 Aug 2010 16:23:42 845 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm still waiting on my starcraft limited edition, so can't say I'm a big fan. Amazon are a lot better.
  • bladdard 4 Aug 2010 16:26:17 944 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I ordered a box set from play.com but it didn't arrived so I informed them and they redespatched a new order at the same price even though the boxset had reduced in price while I was waiting. :o(
  • Page

of 5 First / Last