Dungeon Keeper

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Lexx87 28 May 2008 21:49:42 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just a quick little request to see if anyone knows if 1. This plays on Vista machines without going gay and 2. If it's going to be as brilliant as I remember but with shite graphics...like has anyone had a bash recently?

Oh I mean Dungeon Keeper 2 over the first one, it just used to be one of my favourite games EVER and i'd like to check it out again if worth it. Unless anyones got any other recommendations to games like it?

Speak the truth hussy!

• PinkSpider 28 May 2008 21:59:18 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you can see past the graphics it is still as ace.

I reinstall it now and then for a quick bash.

Oh, you mean DK2? That was alright, not amazing.
  • stewH 28 May 2008 22:07:32 202 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Loved both the DK games, number 3 was never released was it?

It's about time we a had an update - EA probably own the rights to this now.
  • Xerx3s 28 May 2008 22:37:53 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The people behind the real bullfrog had nothing to do with DK2, in that respect, NEVER LET EA MAKE A SEQUEL!
  • Tremendosaurus 29 May 2008 08:47:53 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I preferred the original, but the second one's graphics are still passable and I still install it every now and then.

We don't need a 3 because it would inevitably suck. But we could do with some high-res patches and texture replacers for 2 :)
  • pjmaybe 29 May 2008 08:52:52 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    I preferred the original, but the second one's graphics are still passable and I still install it every now and then.

We don't need a 3 because it would inevitably suck. But we could do with some high-res patches and texture replacers for 2 :)

Wash your mouth out!

Then say the same sentence again but substitute 2 for 1 and you're in business.
  • PinkSpider 29 May 2008 12:47:33 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Port it to the PSP and you have a winner!

I'd say the DS but may be a little cramped.
  • Lexx87 29 May 2008 12:50:41 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Tremendosaurus wrote:

Wash your mouth out!

I never played the first one...

The narrator dude just makes me laugh

Speak the truth hussy!

• prodge Moderator 29 May 2008 12:51:00 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hmmm, what with all this talk of DK, I might see if I can get this working on my Vista 64bit. Excellent game by the way!
  • Lexx87 29 May 2008 12:51:38 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    prodge wrote:
    Hmmm, what with all this talk of Dk, I might see if I can get this working on my Vista 64bit. Excellent game by the way!

Let me know cause I want to know if Vista is OK with it, it was dodgy on XP at times.

Speak the truth hussy!

• prodge Moderator 29 May 2008 12:53:05 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Let me know cause I want to know if Vista is OK with it, it was dodgy on XP at times.

Will try and give it a go tonight.
  • CaptainBinky 29 May 2008 12:53:07 2,244 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dungeon Keeper has my all-time favourite videogame sound effect ever - the little pitter patter of imps' feet running. Nudges the piggy grunt of the imps in DooM down into second place.
  • Tremendosaurus 29 May 2008 12:54:45 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Tremendosaurus wrote:

Wash your mouth out!

What? 1 was definitely better than 2, but the 2d-ness of it would look dated now, and wouldn't be easily updated with mods. Besides, I know for a fact that 2 still runs on Windows XP, but I wouldn't hold out much hope for the same from 1.

PinkSpider wrote:
    Port it to the PSP and you have a winner!

^this
  • Lexx87 29 May 2008 12:58:35 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Gold version of the original comes with 3D support, but it's like 20quid to buy off someone. Trying to find a download!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Lexx87 29 May 2008 13:05:08 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Linky

Not sure if it'll work but i'll give it a go

Speak the truth hussy!

• Tremendosaurus 29 May 2008 13:17:45 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Linky

Now this sounds interesting. If anybody gets it, let us all know if it runs happily in XP/Vista please!
  • Lexx87 29 May 2008 18:07:51 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tremendosaurus wrote:
    Lexx87 wrote:
    Linky

Now this sounds interesting. If anybody gets it, let us all know if it runs happily in XP/Vista please!

I'll post up when I get it downloaded and installed. If I manage that!

Speak the truth hussy!

• prodge Moderator 29 May 2008 21:07:31 359 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've tried the DK gold version but I couldn't get it to install under Vista64. Similar with DK2, it installed ok, but didn't play at all well, lots of graphics missing. Shame.
  • Ferral 30 May 2008 09:58:01 121 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dungeon Keeper 2 works under Vista as long as you install and patch it up to the last build. As for the first one it was DOS based to not overly sure if it will go. Will test it out later on when I get back from the hospital to see if it goes and post my findings.

You tend to find with old DOS based games that it may work but you will have no sound. Not forgetting it could be running way to fast on modern hardware.

Either way, like I said I will test it in a few hours. Got the origional here and ready to install.
  • Tremendosaurus 30 May 2008 10:13:07 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ferral wrote:
    Dungeon Keeper 2 works under Vista as long as you install and patch it up to the last build. As for the first one it was DOS based to not overly sure if it will go. Will test it out later on when I get back from the hospital to see if it goes and post my findings.

You tend to find with old DOS based games that it may work but you will have no sound. Not forgetting it could be running way to fast on modern hardware.

Either way, like I said I will test it in a few hours. Got the origional here and ready to install.

DOSBox is your friend - that'll get the sound working.
  • Lexx87 30 May 2008 10:18:02 20,863 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got 70% (it's going super slow) of the DK Collections torrent...almost there!

Speak the truth hussy!

• Ferral 30 May 2008 12:13:44 121 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just found out it is the Win 95 version I have. Installed it and it starts up and you get the loading screen then it jumps out to the desktop and closes.

Tried it in compatability mode for 95/98/Me, disabling visual themes etc and also running it as administrator. Just no luck at all.

Running Vista 32 Bit Ultimate with SP1 installed.

Someone mentioned that they are using Vista 64, half the problem with 64 Bit is that it doesn't like 16 Bit installers and applications. For example Indy and the Infernal Machine won't install due to having a 16 Bit installer, Grim Fandango you can get running though as there is a modified installer for it which allows you to install and play.

Going to have a dig about the net and see if there is a way of running DK with Vista.
  • Mr-Brett 31 May 2008 20:09:38 12,805 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought Evil Genius was Dungeon Keeper 3?

Level 37 Social Justice Warrior

• Tremendosaurus 2 Jun 2008 09:15:38 1,197 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I thought Evil Genius was Dungeon Keeper 3?

Ech, don't get me started. Evil Genius could have been the DK3, it had a brilliant concept. But it failed miserably at every single aspect.
  • Psychotext 2 Jun 2008 09:21:29 54,309 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    DISCO INFERNO

/dances
  • alfalfa_89 4 Jun 2008 22:59:29 1 posts
    Registered 6 years ago
    Retuning to DK2:

running vista home premium, have the 1.70 patch, compatibility set to XP sp2, visual themes and desktop compositin disabled, and running as administrator. Program runs perfectly........

.........except the game screen is completely black, cant see anything, i can pick up imps, hear everything perfectly, float my hand over stuff, but cant even see the dungeon heart. Anyone know whats wrong? Or how to fix it?
  • Harmonica 18 Oct 2008 20:32:49 966 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Play the first one :p Only, don't, because that doesn't work at all either.

Geting DK to work on XP was a struggle, it took me months to work out how to get network play enabled through IPX of all things, and when I did the mouse was laggy and horrible which nixed our multiplayer games.

I think you can run Dungeon Keeper in DOSBOX in Vista, but the one I really want to run is the Direct3D update (you do not need to own the Gold Dungeon Keeper, they released a D3D patch for the original version) since it would look pretty ace with high levels of antialiasing etc (and always looked much better than the already gorgeous original). But it's impossible to run it.

People claim to have miracle fixes but if true I think they're running obscure PC setups, which doesn't help most people. I've tried all the compatibility stuff, installing it inside an Emulated Win98 PC (pointless in the end because I can't emulate my 3D card), and using the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit to fiddle with it, but it doesn't work.

It's a shame because Dungeon Keeper is still one of the top 20 games ever released in my opinion, and continues to inspire and better modern contemporaries. Only Mucky Foot ever came close with their StarTopia, which was more like Theme Hospital anyway (naturally enough given their team). Evil Genius is genius in many respects, but lacking in any realy core gameplay. Overlord is a nice modern Dungeon Keeper, albiet an above-ground version (much like the rumoured Dungeon Keeper sequel before the EA fiasco).

I do worry that in generations to come nobody will actually ever play Dungeon Keeper and it will be forgotten like the rest of 90s gaming that doesn't work on Vista. Very sad.
  • PinkSpider 18 Oct 2008 20:36:18 3,346 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DK One works fine on XP, apart from networking but it has a fine single player mode anyways and I've never got on with old online games :/
  • GloatingSwine 18 Oct 2008 21:04:37 2,668 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you can't get any kind of Dungeon Keeper to work, you can get your fill of underground building shenanigans from Dwarf Fortress.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous