o2 - Difference between WiFi and Web

  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 14:09:23 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm looking to upgrade my phone contract this afternoon and will be attempting to find a tariff that will let me get an N95 8GB free or at least very cheap. I figured it was probably worth getting some kind of net connection for it though (my current contract doesn't have any data transfer allowance at all) and noticed that they have these Bolt-on things. So, a few questions:

    a) The first bolt-on is free right (as far as I can make out on the o2 website)? (With additional ones costing 7.50 extra a month)

    b) What is the difference between 'Unlimited Wi-Fi' and 'Unlimited Web' bolt-ons and what are the pros and cons for each? I'd like to be able to access email and google and who knows, maybe facebook and flickr and the like. (The N series have built in Flickr stuff, right?) - I think probably web is the one I'm after, so I can access the stuff anywhere, but are there things like speed differences to take into account as well?

    c) I heard that you can be charged for using the GPS? Is that right? How does that work exactly?

    If I can think of any more, I'll add them in. Cheers for any help!
  • KingOfSpain 28 May 2008 14:14:01 5,188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can only answer question B i'm afraid.

    Unlimited Wi-fi is access to all of the wireless hotspots in the UK, while Unlimited web is free web access over 3g.

    I hope this helps.
  • brokenkey 28 May 2008 14:15:31 7,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    c) - you get data charges and if you want voice navigation you have to buy a licence to make it work.

    3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 14:31:31 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thanks for your responses guys. So it sounds like Unlimited Web is better right (I don't really know how often I'm in a Wi-Fi hotspot). is there a difference in speed?

    How much are the data charges for GPS? (or will that be specific to the provider?)
  • brokenkey 28 May 2008 14:33:11 7,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Thanks for your responses guys. So it sounds like Unlimited Web is better right (I don't really know how often I'm in a Wi-Fi hotspot). is there a difference in speed?

    How much are the data charges for GPS? (or will that be specific to the provider?)

    Depends on whether you get the Unlimited Web pack or not, and also if you side-load the maps or download them over the air. Its standard data charging, not different data charging.

    Licence is 40 per year or 6 per month

    3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

  • reality_cheque 28 May 2008 14:33:25 7,487 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've just tried the Flickr stuff on the N95, and tbh I'm not that impressed. It gives you the impression you can select the file from your gallery to upload, but that's not the case. All it does is just give you a shortcut to the Flickr site, which tbh you can do with a fucking bookmark.
  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 14:37:27 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Depends on whether you get the Unlimited Web pack or not, and also if you side-load the maps or download them over the air. Its standard data charging, not different data charging.

    Licence is 40 per year or 6 per month
    Ok, so Unlimited Web should negate any charges for GPS?
    Is there always a license, or only if you want voice navigation?
    Side-loading the maps? Is that downloading on your PC and shifting them across to the phone?

    /is a n00b.
  • brokenkey 28 May 2008 14:39:52 7,159 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Depends on whether you get the Unlimited Web pack or not, and also if you side-load the maps or download them over the air. Its standard data charging, not different data charging.

    Licence is 40 per year or 6 per month
    Ok, so Unlimited Web should negate any charges for GPS?
    Is there always a license, or only if you want voice navigation?
    Side-loading the maps? Is that downloading on your PC and shifting them across to the phone?

    /is a n00b.

    Yes,
    Only for Voice
    From PC to phone.

    :)

    3DS 3497-0122-1484
    XBL/PSN/NNID: CptnBrokenkey

  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 14:43:36 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Awesome! Thank you :)

    I shall report back with details of my conquest (to get a new phone and decent contract). Which actually brings me onto another question (bear with me!). Since there's no real 'new' mobile customers, obviously the providers are fighting like crazy men to keep hold of their current ones. I understand you can get some decent deals by threatening to leave (I've done it myself), but with this new fad at pushing 18 month contracts - has anyone tried pushing for them to bring it back down to 12 months and still getting a decent deal?
  • mcmonkeyplc 28 May 2008 14:46:11 39,570 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just upgraded to the O2 Online 35 tariff with the unlimited web bolt on.

    The difference between the unlimited web and wifi bolt on are as follows:

    Unlimited web: Means you can surf the net using the GPRS/ HDSPA connections for as long as you want anytime and you wont get charged extra.

    Unlimited wifi: Means you can use any one of the o2's (I think they use BT's wifi cloud) for free. This uses your phones wifi.


    Edit: God damn it! Stop being so fast.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 14:50:35 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Unlimited web: Means you can surf the net using the GPRS/ HDSPA connections for as long as you want anytime and you wont get charged extra.
    Cool! I hear that HSDPA is pretty fast if you've got a good signal?

    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I just upgraded to the O2 Online 35 tariff with the unlimited web bolt on
    Yeah, that was the one I was looking at. Did you get the N95 to go with it?

    This is all very good news!
  • reality_cheque 28 May 2008 14:57:20 7,487 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just say "I'm not signing up for an 18 month contract, give me the same price but for 12 months or I'll go with [insert competitor here]". One 12 month contract, at reasonable (well, as reasonable as possible) prices.
  • Lutz 28 May 2008 14:59:39 48,854 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Unlimited web: Means you can surf the net using the GPRS/ HDSPA connections for as long as you want anytime and you wont get charged extra.
    Cool! I hear that HSDPA is pretty fast if you've got a good signal?
    Click!
  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 15:34:58 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lutz wrote:
    Click!
    That may very well be where I read it! ;)
  • asphaltcowboy 28 May 2008 17:16:03 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, it's all ordered and everything. Didn't manage to get them to budge on the 18month thing (I should have pushed harder! :|), but it's a decent deal (and considerably better than my current one) so it's no biggy to pay 10 a month more for an extra 400 minutes and 900 texts! N95 with unlimited web winging it's way to me!
  • FixedInfinity 28 May 2008 19:22:18 1,682 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You may want to read the terms and conditions as to whats allowed with the 'unlimited' web bolt on.
  • asphaltcowboy 29 May 2008 09:40:34 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've had a look. It does seem rather a limited definition of 'unlimited', but I'm sure I'll manage. I'm actually looking at a way to save some money on the contract - anyone know how easy it is and how much it costs to unlock a simlocked N95?
  • asphaltcowboy 29 May 2008 11:06:08 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone?
  • mcmonkeyplc 29 May 2008 11:10:46 39,570 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    Anyone?

    It's easy to unlock, and from my experience with O2 they dont generally lock Nokia phones anyway.

    I ordered the N95 8gb I should get it today or tomorrow.

    Whats so limiting about the unlimited web bolt on?

    I read the terms and conditions and it just seems like the standard fair use policy.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • asphaltcowboy 29 May 2008 12:19:36 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know o2 don't lock phones, but as a money-saving exercise, I'm thinking of sourcing the phone from elsewhere, sending back the one they're sending me, getting the 100 credit for not taking a new phone and sticking with a cheaper tariff. Anyone know a good place to source cheap (legal :p) mobiles? Taking a look at eBay at the mo...

    And when you say 'most places'...?
  • asphaltcowboy 29 May 2008 13:11:12 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    And when you say 'most places'...?
    Bump.

    Also, it's entirely legal right? I'm sure it's against the original providers T&Cs, but I wouldn't be on their contract! Right?
  • mcmonkeyplc 29 May 2008 13:17:48 39,570 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    asphaltcowboy wrote:
    And when you say 'most places'...?
    Bump.

    Also, it's entirely legal right? I'm sure it's against the original providers T&Cs, but I wouldn't be on their contract! Right?

    I dont understand, why dont you just buy an unlocked phone from ebay?

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • asphaltcowboy 29 May 2008 13:23:00 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    I dont understand, why dont you just buy an unlocked phone from ebay?
    'cause they're even more pricey than if I got one from o2! The locked ones tend to go for less.
  • asphaltcowboy 3 Jun 2008 11:29:15 5,143 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reality_cheque wrote:
    I've just tried the Flickr stuff on the N95, and tbh I'm not that impressed. It gives you the impression you can select the file from your gallery to upload, but that's not the case. All it does is just give you a shortcut to the Flickr site, which tbh you can do with a fucking bookmark.
    Actually, if you grab the Share Online application (unless you've got it already installed) you can directly upload your photos from your gallery to Flickr or Vox (whatever that is). It's great! :D

    Really liking the phone so far - anyone know where i can get a decent screen protector from? Will o2 stores stock them?
  • ElectricDemon 24 Jul 2009 20:44:04 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bump/hijack!

    Finally replaced my nearly 4 year old phone with a new Nokia 5800 on Pay Monthly with O2, and I was interested in getting the unlimited web browsing bolt on, worth it? I wouldn't use it excessively, just for some browsing from time to time, and maybe some of the apps like Facebook, iPlayer and YouTube, would it suit those needs fine?

    Also, as I understand it I just need to text WEB to an O2 number to activate it, but I got my phone via Dial-A-Phone with half-price line rental, and I was wondering if anyone knew how it'd affect that? I'd assume it wouldn't have any effect apart from adding an additional 7.50 a month for the web, that right?

    One more thing, why do they charge seperately for Web and Wi-Fi usage? It's just a pity that if I wanted to connect to, say, my router, it'd cost extra =/

    Cracking phone though, such a difference from my old phone, it's ridiculous really!
  • KingOfSpain 24 Jul 2009 21:03:59 5,188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The internet is free vie your own router, its only the paid for public ones that you sometimes have to pay for.
  • ElectricDemon 24 Jul 2009 21:32:02 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ahhh, right! So do you mean even now without that Web Bolt On, I can use my phone to access the internet via my router for free?
  • KingOfSpain 24 Jul 2009 21:36:17 5,188 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ElectricDemon wrote:
    Ahhh, right! So do you mean even now without that Web Bolt On, I can use my phone to access the internet via my router for free?

    Correct-a-mondo!!
  • ElectricDemon 24 Jul 2009 21:53:33 2,417 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Awesome, cheers! So in theory I could also access, say, my friends' routers, provided they're open? Just as long as I don't try and access any public Wi-Fi points, basically?

    As for the Web Bolt On, know if it's worth it? Just for internet access whilst not in my home etc.
  • Page

    of 1

    Previous Next
Log in or register to reply