Virgin Media issues Page 4

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• motti82 23 Mar 2011 18:26:00 2,890 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I use their XL broadband which is one down from the SuperHub, and it works fine with my Netgear router. My dad who has the SuperHub has had no end of trouble from his. The wireless is shite, and the Packet Management seems to knock his xbox/laptop offline all the time.
  • Tom_Servo 23 Mar 2011 18:29:43 17,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My parents recently got a Superhub and have been raving about it.
  • eleven63 23 Mar 2011 18:54:03 1,603 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seriously, this is fucking me right off! Had to reset the Super - (it really is a pile of shit) - hub twice in the past 2 hours...

My mum has bog standard BT broadband, I can be at the end of her garden, 40 meters or so, and it works a treat! 4 meters here, and its flat lining....

@tom_servo obviously glad it works for your patents :)

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• monkehhh 23 Mar 2011 19:10:21 3,317 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think they advise to turn off the firewall and IP flood prevention (/detection?) in most cases, thought I'm not sure if that's gonna help with your problem. I'd ring and say that you either want a modem to replace your hub, or you'll be cancelling - you have the benefit of a bargaining chip :) Just don't let it stretch out beyond your trial period.
  • eleven63 23 Mar 2011 19:17:34 1,603 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    I think they advise to turn off the firewall and IP flood prevention (/detection?) in most cases, thought I'm not sure if that's gonna help with your problem. I'd ring and say that you either want a modem to replace your hub, or you'll be cancelling - you have the benefit of a bargaining chip :) Just don't let it stretch out beyond your trial period.

Nice one - I'll try your ideas, then kick arse!

Interestingly, my xbox 360 is now saying the MPU is too low (ping rate??)...

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Deleted user 23 March 2011 19:23:59
    My superhub seems a bit flakey n'all, the connection with justin.tv keeps dropping out and I have to refresh the page every ten minutes or so. :(
  • Psychotext 28 Mar 2011 21:05:32 54,203 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm not sure what VM have done, but newsgroups are basically unusable for me now. At best I'm getting 280 kbyte/s, even with encrypted connections. I can only assume that they're traffic shaping over certain sets of ports. Seems so strange to see torrents running considerably faster. =/

You just cost yourself a 100mb upgrade, bunch of arseholes.
  • Load_2.0 29 Mar 2011 20:50:00 19,279 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My download speeds have gone up significantly getting 1mb regularly over hotfile, rapidshare and Oron. (not premium)
  • KayJay 20 Apr 2011 21:52:53 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Broadband has gone down... /o\

First time ever for an extended period of time. Always a modem reboot would fix it but is been down for around 12 hours now.
    They can't get me an engineer until Monday either... :/
    5 days without broadband. What the fuck am I going to do...

/punches 3G in the face

Could be a good time to ask for a free speed upgrade... :)

Seriously though what am I going to do... Portal SP is only 5-5 hours. /o\
  • Pirotic Moderator 20 Apr 2011 22:17:52 20,647 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Buy portal 2, I hear it's great in co-op mode

/rubs salt

Seriously though, it's strange for a cable internet connection to go down - has anybody been having tarmac work done in your street?
  • KayJay 20 Apr 2011 23:11:51 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No work going on a far as I can see.

The guy on the phone (who I must say was excellent and extremely helpful, and British (well Scottish)) said he was looking at the data on coming from my modem and he said it was "low power" from the Box/station thing.

Nothing he could do on the phone, and he offerd an engineer to come Friday and I have spent the last two days working from home (well 1.5 days if you count the downtime :)) so I said I would need to square another day at home of with work, boss isant in tomorrow so I asked for a weekend slot but he only had Monday. It wasn't until later that I realised we all have Friday off work anyway. /o\
    /twat

They took my number and if an earlier slot becomes available they will call.

/replays Potral 2 for the 3rd time

• Tom_Servo 20 Apr 2011 23:33:35 17,956 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bloomin' 'eck
  • VandelayIndustries 20 Apr 2011 23:47:16 1,523 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    They've been complete crap for me too recently, two weeks of it slowing to a crawl and then going off completely. Reboots were useless and then it would magically work hours later for a short period.

The helpline was fairly hopeless as well. Sent three engineers over, all of whom had differing ideas as to what the problem was... A new modem? no. Loose wires in the inlet box? no. Try removing the splitter box? Nope. One of them said something about the house being at the end of the line rather than being in a circuit, whatever that means.

The last guy threatened dig up the pavement to replace the cable. It came back on not long after he left and its been fine this past week.

Got a small rebate instead of a speed increase though.

• KayJay 25 Apr 2011 12:39:21 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Virgin engineer came out today. Top bloke. All sorted. Apparently my modern was receiving to much power (and not to little, which is the impression I got from the guy on the phone).

Anyway, after a couple of readings in the house and two trips back to the exchange round to corner all sorted.

He explained that to much power wasn't a good thng as the router couldn't handle it and would spaz out.
  • GrandpaUlrira 25 Apr 2011 12:53:43 3,753 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do people complaining here have the 'superhub'? http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/20/virgin_media_apology_over_media_superhub_snafu/
  • KayJay 25 Apr 2011 14:03:01 5,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Interestingly, I mentioned upgrading my package and he said to keep away from the Superhub.
    He said stick with my old modem and separate wireless router.

It seems the staff haven't much confidence in it... :/
  • trav 25 Apr 2011 15:30:42 935 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm guessing this "Superhub" is the combo router/modem that has the cable plug straight into the back. Girlfriend has it and has nothing but drop with dropping out, slowing right down and just generally being shit.

I've got the separate modem and router and only had one outage in the last two years. Just cause it's two things in one doesn't mean it's better.
  • banjoted 26 Apr 2011 12:47:05 1,500 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting - I was offered the Superhub as part of an upgrade last week but rejected it for fears of this sort of shit. Stuck with a 20MB connection as that's OK with my existing modem (and D-Link wireless router). Could get 30MB for no extra money if I take the Superhub.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 May 2011 14:11:17 14,680 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lads/ladies any help ?
    For the past couple of months (maybe longer) every time I log into/onto the internet at home I manage to get on, but 95% of the time I get a disconnection at some point (totally random as to when or a particular site) it normally happens only once and then it is ok for the rest of the day...Once I turn off and start again of course.

The last week or so it has happened more and more, in fact yesterday I could not even connect, every page/site I tried to open, did not want to know,the error message stated DNS I think. I also got thrown off live 4 times (Slim, wireless connection) today likewise no joy the first 5 times I switched on pc and or 360, got conected on both 360 and virgin media in the end, and then it disconnected me once again.

I have a Virgin media chap coming out tomorrow, just wondered if you guys had any thoughts.
    Thank you

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Deleted user 26 May 2011 14:15:22
    Superhub is utterly crud! My 360 and PS3 refuse to connect to it via wireless so I'm forced to use an ethernet switcher.

>(

ed

I just tried the the 360 wireless out of interest and it's working now. What a strange pos Superhub is.

ed2

Nope, stopped working again so back to wired.
  • midnight_walker 26 May 2011 14:21:08 1,988 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Duff - is this Wireless? Try switching channels on the router. This used to happen to me all the time till I found a stable channel.
  • LionheartDJH 26 May 2011 14:52:53 19,457 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    We've been having that happen since we moved in here Duff, generally only every couple of days, but still a bit annoying. Never thought to do that m_w, so cheers for the tip, I'm moving out in a week though so I don't really care about it now!

She dives for cheese pasties

• X201 1 Jun 2011 11:07:28 15,475 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My modem couldn't connect last night.
    Got on the blower and they did some diagnostics and cam to the conclusion that I needed a new modem and would send me one. I'll be sorry to see the old Motorola SB3100 go. Its done sterling service over the last 11 years.

Are Virgin quick when it comes to delivering new modems?
    How long will I have to browse EG on a Blackberry with a dodgy GPRS signal?
  • Whizzo 1 Jun 2011 11:23:08 43,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When I upgraded to 20 meg they sent me a smaller replacement cable modem to replace my SB-2100, the box I was supposed to return it to them in was too small so I kept it. It always did a good job and I'm glad I still have it on a shelf.

As for replacements, they normally send them out pretty quickly, you should get it within a day or so.

This space left intentionally blank.

• X201 1 Jun 2011 11:27:17 15,475 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks
  • X201 2 Jun 2011 16:16:45 15,475 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Modem has arrived \o/

Can't fault that. Reported Tuesday evening, new modem arrives Thursday afternoon.

Just hope it works now :-/

• Deleted user 3 June 2011 03:17:07
    Ugh my connection is driving me nuts! I can't connect to certain sites such as BBC sport a lot of the time and have to use a proxy but it's sloooow. I tried turning my modem off and on again but that didn't work.

'elp
  • X201 3 Jun 2011 05:41:35 15,475 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think I read problems like yours on their forums the other day. Will check again later.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last