Virgin Media issues Page 3

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• robthehermit 19 Feb 2011 18:27:35 4,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Virgin Media are bastards.

I pay 25 per month for 10mb broadband. I see on their website that you can get 50mb broadband for that. Phoned them up, they tell me that's their new customer rate, and as I've been with them for 10 years or so, I can fuck right off.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Whizzo 19 Feb 2011 18:30:32 43,057 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Say you want to leave, they'll offer you a retentions deal.

This space left intentionally blank.

• robthehermit 19 Feb 2011 18:40:50 4,023 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    Say you want to leave, they'll offer you a retentions deal.

Already got one of those, they knock 22.70 off our bill every month as a loyalty discount. Which given that I'm paying 11.75 too much for my broadband works out to 10.95 a month.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Carlo 1 Mar 2011 21:12:06 17,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    BOOM! 30MB thank you very much!

PSN ID: Djini

• Deleted user 1 March 2011 21:21:55
    I paid for that and they sent me some box I didn't want and my speed is the same (20mb).

I'm annoyed.
  • KayJay 1 Mar 2011 21:22:10 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Was that a free upgrade Carlo?

What were you on?
  • Carlo 1 Mar 2011 21:26:48 17,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    30 one off for the new netgear (it has wireless built into it too, not that i'll be using it as I have a time capsule). I was on 20MB

Swap over the router, call them up and tell them your MAC address, and 10 minutes later you're up.

Testing the speed now, but so far it looks good, and VERY painless, although I seem to recall there was a problem with the hardware initially?!

• graysonavich 1 Mar 2011 21:28:16 7,319 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm upgrading to 50mb on Thursday. Can't wait for 100mb!
  • KayJay 1 Mar 2011 21:28:30 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Humm, might drop them a line.
  • Whizzo 1 Mar 2011 21:29:20 43,057 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The original VM Hubs were apparently a bit problematic, my nephew had one and ended up forcing VM to swap it for a standard CM and router combo as he had lots of issues trying to get two 360s to use Live at the same time, the Superhubs are supposed to be a lot better.

• Deleted user 1 March 2011 21:32:07
    Carlo wrote:
    30 one off for the new netgear (it has wireless built into it too, not that i'll be using it as I have a time capsule). I was on 20MB

Swap over the router, call them up and tell them your MAC address, and 10 minutes later you're up.

Testing the speed now, but so far it looks good, and VERY painless, although I seem to recall there was a problem with the hardware initially?!

What if I don't want to swap over the router? I got all my wireless shit setup up just right.
  • Carlo 1 Mar 2011 21:35:28 17,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd like to keep my old one too, as the new one is BIG, has wireless built in which I don't want, and is like a disco, with all the flashing lights.

No idea, ask them

• Trowel 1 Mar 2011 21:37:08 17,523 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Carlo wrote:
    There are still problems if you're using it in tandem with another router - mine drops every so often and needs a hard reset. Manageable at the moment given the alternative is to rebuild my home network from scratch.
  • Carlo 1 Mar 2011 21:42:26 17,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the time machine is very configurable, at the moment i've got it running as a NAT in NAT, but I can set it to forward DHCP up to the netgear... Didn't want to redo all the IP addresses thou.

• Deleted user 1 March 2011 21:44:07
    Generic Virgin thread will do. Are the sports channels on Virgin in HD and if so how long for?
  • KayJay 1 Mar 2011 21:50:00 5,287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I think they are. The bumpff I got in the post yesterday indicated that they were, also mentioned about the Sky Sports "Red" button is now available. Not sure but dosent that open you up to more games, champions league nights for instance?
  • Trowel 1 Mar 2011 21:56:28 17,523 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sky HD channels are on Virgin now (sport and movies) but red button isn't until April.
  • Carlo 8 Mar 2011 21:03:17 17,981 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MOOB (boom backwards). Called them up and told them to come take the new modem back and stick it up their arses.

Gone back to 20MB, the 'upgrade' was slower, less stable, and the new router was HUGE and had way too many flashing lights.

Arp cache is TINY, so torrenting is shit, you cant choose your DNS servers (and they strangely don't resolve names like pirate bay etc!!!) and it doesn't support bridging and won't until MAY apparently.

So yeah, they can fuck right off. I'd rather keep the modem i've got, use my own router that's fully configurable, and suffer a faster actual speed.

Virgin = retarded

• monkehhh 8 Mar 2011 21:11:43 3,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My speed isn't bad but the line quality is turd. Can't stay connected to Eve Online, IRC, etc at the moment. Help forum seems to be - post, wait a week, "we're investigating", wait a week, "fault raised", wait a week, "fault fix postponed", wait a week, nothing.

I wish I was back with Be :)
  • Psychotext 12 Mar 2011 15:55:33 53,915 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Running really slowly for me all of a sudden. I only really notice it in two apps though... Hmm.
  • monkehhh 16 Mar 2011 10:49:31 3,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    My speed isn't bad but the line quality is turd. Can't stay connected to Eve Online, IRC, etc at the moment. Help forum seems to be - post, wait a week, "we're investigating", wait a week, "fault raised", wait a week, "fault fix postponed", wait a week, nothing.

I wish I was back with Be :)
    Retracting some of my moan :) Reported my problems, engineer came round this morning, did some fiddling and measuring, reduced some power levels and made some things do things they were meant to do, gave me his number in case anything went weird again, things seem alright!
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 03:24:21
    I thought throttling only occurred during so-called 'peak' hours but I'm getting limited to about 300kbs on a 20MB connection at the mo. :/

hardcore throttling
  • Deleted user 21 March 2011 15:49:16
    Connection still the same. Someone got a complaints number I can use? I went on the VM site but couldn't see a phone number ect

/livid
  • Whizzo 21 Mar 2011 15:52:19 43,057 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    151 from a Virgin phone line.

You shouldn't be being chopped down to that, it's only supposed to go down to 5Mbit on 20.

Doing some spring cleaning and I found an old NTL bill, ooh 512Kbit for 25 quid back in 2001, I'm happy things have improved.

• Deleted user 21 March 2011 18:32:06
    ;O

aaaaand relax

/twitches

ta Whizzo btw
  • Whizzo 21 Mar 2011 18:39:18 43,057 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's better! :-)

• eleven63 23 Mar 2011 17:07:57 1,601 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Just switched to Virgin Media, from Talk Talk as there was way to much dropping of service - so went for 30mb (testing coming in at 25mb)...

...which comes with a "Super Hub"

...which is anything but

It. Doesn't.Work

My Deire HD hates the new WiFi signal and I cant connect my xbox ('n' spec wifi) an all.

I understand that I can change the channel frequency (from something like 2.3ghz to 5ghz which 'n' specced wifi devices like better, apparently) but this will mean my other halfs Mac Book wont work has her MB isnt 'n' thingyedup...

Any ideas chaps, or cancel while I can?

And, no. I don't really know what I'm talking about - but any ideas gratefully accepted...

edit - typo

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• monkehhh 23 Mar 2011 18:01:09 3,291 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Talk to Virgin? Ringing is quicker, 5 day response time on the forum.

On the subject of Virgin supplying crap - I flashed my D-Link router supplied by Virgin with DD-WRT firmware today, seems to have cleared up my mysterious connection issues. Thankfully I got in before the whole Superhub.. mess.
  • convercide 23 Mar 2011 18:04:11 5,970 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    eleven63 wrote:
    Just switched to Virgin Media, from Talk Talk as there was way to much dropping of service - so went for 30mb (testing coming in at 25mb)...

...which is anything but

It. Doesn't.Work

My Deire HD hates the new WiFi signal and I cant connect my xbox ('n' spec wifi) an all.

I understand that I can change the channel frequency (from something like 2.3ghz to 5ghz which 'n' specced wifi devices like better, apparently) but this will mean my other halfs Mac Book wont work has her MB isnt 'n' thingyedup...

And, no. I don't really know what I'm talking about - but any ideas gratefully accepted...

edit - typo

The 'super hubs' are absolute shit. Just get them to install a regular modem and buy a router. The engineer who came to repair ours said their failure rate is ridiculous. Basically it is faulty and chances are that a replacement will be faulty.

If you can read this, you don't need glasses.

• eleven63 23 Mar 2011 18:11:56 1,601 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    convercide wrote:
    eleven63 wrote:

...which is anything but

It. Doesn't.Work

edit - typo

The 'super hubs' are absolute shit. Just get them to install a regular modem and buy a router. The engineer who came to repair ours said their failure rate is ridiculous. Basically it is faulty and chances are that a replacement will be faulty.

Ah, okay, gathered that from the Virgin Media forums - seems the super hubs are seriously boorked!!

I have 30 days grace, so was going to reset the hub, and try changing channels (downloaded This bit of free software) to see what other channels are in use locally, see if that helps.

Any recommendations on routers please?

Thank you

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• Page

of 19 First / Last