Registered 10 years ago
    No Broadband, TiVo or phone still in NE6
    (Newcastle)
    Hurry up VM!
    WHAT IS IT THIS TIME? FROST DAMAGE?
  • superdelphinus 2 Dec 2012 13:36:51 8,016 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TiVo really is a temperamental little beast, both down the wire and also the box itself. I've had to a complete reset of it twice now because it started getting stuttery and crazy once the hdd got over 75% full
  • monkehhh 4 Dec 2012 19:54:57 3,267 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Phoned them about the price rise..

- current bundle is 46 a month
    - will be 49 after the price rise
    - just broadband (which is all I use) would be 35 a month
    - we can do you broadband, "M" TV and a phone line for 32 a month

.. score :) I don't have a phone or the TV box plugged in, but if it makes it cheaper..
  • B0rked_Gamer 12 Dec 2012 13:18:02 2,481 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My connection has been acting all temperamental for the past 20ish hours but their support is fucking useless. You basically get this guy

who tells you to turn it off then on again.
  • X201 12 Dec 2012 14:14:28 15,130 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    Phoned them about the price rise..

- current bundle is 46 a month
    - will be 49 after the price rise
    - just broadband (which is all I use) would be 35 a month
    - we can do you broadband, "M" TV and a phone line for 32 a month

.. score :) I don't have a phone or the TV box plugged in, but if it makes it cheaper..

Is there a minimum usage charge on the phone?

As it stands it would be cheaper for me to have a TV+Internet+Phone package, and just leave the phone in a cupboard.
  • robthehermit 12 Dec 2012 15:14:43 3,967 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope, just the line rental.

The premiere collection is what I'll be signing up for once I get Mrs Hermits ex to sign the account transfer form.

59 p/m, 60mb broadband, Tivo, 2nd HD box, line rental.

GT: robthehermit

Velim esset mundus iustus futuis procul et mori.

• Bemused 12 Dec 2012 16:58:54 5 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    They'll be able to put the rich into space soon, and yet they still can't provide a decent broadband service.
  • monkehhh 12 Dec 2012 19:10:58 3,267 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @X201 I've never used or even had a phone plugged in to a Virgin line as long as I've had one, and they've never said anything.
  • mikeck 9 Jan 2013 17:48:42 1,903 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had awful service for the past few weeks (needed a replacement box, recordings not working etc) and now I've had to TV on demand for the past week, cannot search and now to cap it all off my broadband speeds are crawling in the evenings. So annoyed.

Do VM throttle download speeds in the evening, as the past few days trying to stream both Netflix and Lovefilm on the PS3 has proved a terrible experience.

Sick of this :(

Welcome to the streaming future my arse.
  • mcmothercruncher 25 Jan 2013 23:05:13 6,444 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ugh, I need to rant a bit.
    On a 20Mb connection with a 5 year old Virgin connection box thing and a decent Edimax Wifi router/hub. T'other half got an email about the "Super"hub the other week and signed up for it.
    I think you know where this is going.
    Long day today at work- 9 to half 8 and then I optimistically thought I'd have a go at setting the "super"hub (yes, I'm going to keep using the quotes). Well, it's shit. Utter, utter shit. I'm not in a good mood ;)

Took the time to test signal strength with the old set-up before switching and I was getting 90% strength near the router and 45% at the farthest point. Post install? A whopping 27% at best and, well, my devices can't even see the "super"hub at worst.
    Just unbelievably inept, I'm speechless. Not only does it come packing shite power- despite them promising precisely the opposite, it doesn't even have waggly aerials you can direct to point the signal around the house.

Fucking Virgin motherfucking streaks of Virgin twatting and shitting skanky bastards.

I shall get up in the morning and stick the fucking useless thing in modem mode and grab the Edimax router again.
  • DUFFKING 25 Jan 2013 23:10:36 7,091 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah the super hub is awful.
  • Madder-Max 25 Jan 2013 23:11:05 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I upgraded to tivo, extra hd box for mrs in bedroom and 60 meg for an extra 2 quid a month. I have xl, kids stuff, movies and hd channels plus my mobile with them. Guy came fit it last friday in the snow and it works like a dream.

My only issue is that in reality I'm getting about 14 meg at best with one of those speed test things. Going to ring up and whinge soon

Edited by Madder-Max at 23:12:25 25-01-2013

99 problems and being ginger is one

• DUFFKING 26 Jan 2013 00:26:02 7,091 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is that over the wireless? I get terrible speeds over wireless but spot on wired.
  • Madder-Max 26 Jan 2013 00:57:18 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    All wireless. Might go wired then

• mal 26 Jan 2013 01:36:18 22,334 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, from what I've read the trick seems to be to keep your old ASDL wireless router and plug that into your 'superhub', having configured off all the routing stuff so it just acts as a wireless bridge.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• Madder-Max 26 Jan 2013 01:50:52 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Okay. You lost me at wireless!

• eleven63 26 Jan 2013 09:44:18 1,599 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DUFFKING wrote:
    Is that over the wireless? I get terrible speeds over wireless but spot on wired.
    Yep, wired I get about 30meg, wireless half that, at best! The superhub is shit. Interestingly when BT upgraded its hub thing, they automatically supplied the new box to customers (my mum got one, just turned up in the post, and an improvement over the old box) - can't see this happening with Virgin.

Follow me on Twitter @mattwaring

• mcmothercruncher 26 Jan 2013 09:51:05 6,444 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I noticed an increase in throughput when wired- it's just the wireless side.
    I've seen plenty of complaints online and plenty of Virgin customer service types asking people to wait until the new firmware comes out etc etc. But that was nearly a year ago. The firmware has been updated several times- the power of the WiFi is still utter turd.
    My near ten year old Linksys G router has a more powerful signal. It blows my mind something with such shit hardware has come to market.

Anyway, the thing up as a pass through modem type thing now. I'd like about 4 hours of my life back please Virgin :mad:
  • nickthegun 26 Jan 2013 09:51:40 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mal wrote:
    Yeah, from what I've read the trick seems to be to keep your old ASDL wireless router and plug that into your 'superhub', having configured off all the routing stuff so it just acts as a wireless bridge.
    Yeah, or swap it completely. My superhub is now, basically, a modem and ive got a router that does all the, well, routing.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Whizzo 26 Jan 2013 10:25:23 43,033 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I doubt there's a huge percentage of Superhubs that are in anything but modem mode unless someone is just using a couple of devices like one PC and a phone, its name is deliberately ironic I'm sure.

Edited by Whizzo at 10:25:59 26-01-2013

This space left intentionally blank.

• byron_hinson 26 Jan 2013 11:42:37 1,509 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    I doubt there's a huge percentage of Superhubs that are in anything but modem mode unless someone is just using a couple of devices like one PC and a phone, its name is deliberately ironic I'm sure.
    I'd say there is a massive percentage not in modem mode as most consumers wouldn't know what it is let alone bother with it
  • Psychotext 26 Jan 2013 11:49:02 53,808 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Still fucking amazes me that you can't just get a bog standard modem any more. I can't imagine how much power that superhub sucks (even in modem mode). I really must get around to testing it.
  • darrenb 26 Jan 2013 12:04:54 676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I used to run mine in modem mode as it continually locked up and wireless was awful..

Since a recent firmware update an a couple of security settings its been like a different device..

I now get over 40mbps on my lappy and over 30mbps on the tablet as and my S2.

As a box it isn't as bad as it was...
  • Psychotext 26 Jan 2013 12:15:38 53,808 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe, but some of us actually have decent routers. :p
  • darrenb 26 Jan 2013 12:20:36 676 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So, what speeds do a "decent" router give over WiFi.?

I can't run in N only mode as I have a couple of G devices that I still need to connect. So id say 30-40mb would be more than enough when running in mixed mode.

bittorrent used to be a problem as ports would never forward, now all that seems OK.
  • Psychotext 26 Jan 2013 12:33:54 53,808 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My point isn't specifically related to wireless. More its ability to handle masses of connections, VPNs etc.

One thing I know for certain is that when I used the superhub wireless I often couldn't get a connection around the house. With my main router I can get wireless at virtually full power everywhere (and crush my neighbour's wireless into the bargain!)
  • Whizzo 26 Jan 2013 13:17:41 43,033 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    byron_hinson wrote:I'd say there is a massive percentage not in modem mode as most consumers wouldn't know what it is let alone bother with it
    They'd be the people covered by the "unless someone is just using a couple of devices" part of my post.

This space left intentionally blank.

• MrDigital 26 Jan 2013 13:57:21 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I wonder if anyone has any solutions to my pickle.

I'm on 60Mb internet with Virgin, and when using ethernet it is glorious (occasionally reaching speeds +60Mb), but when using WiFi, I don't have quite as good an experience.

When I first got my SuperHub, we had it set to 300MBps and using Wireless-N. This caused problems... The speed mostly seemed fine, but it was not smooth. Skyping would be an experience of very good quality video calls for portions of time, then suddenly awful. And when doing a speed test, I could see in graph format this jaggedy behaviour.

We solved this by using Wireless-G and having the speed at 54Mbps, which although slowing down the speed by 6Mbps, provides a consistently smooth working experience.

Any suggestions?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Madder-Max 26 Jan 2013 17:26:24 11,618 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whizzo wrote:
    byron_hinson wrote:I'd say there is a massive percentage not in modem mode as most consumers wouldn't know what it is let alone bother with it
    They'd be the people covered by the "unless someone is just using a couple of devices" part of my post.
    I haven't a friggin clue what peeps r on about with modem mode and bridgess and what not. All i know is that its a shiny black box with a pretty blue intermittently flashing light and 2 green ones, and that my broadband is a bit faster and I spawn first in blops 2 matches.

I would be grateful to anyone taking the trouble to explain it as my mrs uses it for a vpn to her school and would like to improve it for her.

• Psychotext 26 Jan 2013 19:06:05 53,808 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Geesh wrote:
    We solved this by using Wireless-G and having the speed at 54Mbps, which although slowing down the speed by 6Mbps, provides a consistently smooth working experience.

Any suggestions?
    Yeah, put the superhub in modem mode and get a router that isn't shit.
  • Page

of 19 First / Last