Virgin Media issues Page 13

• Page

of 19 First / Last

• spindle9988 25 Sep 2012 15:53:36 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @motti82

Is that the same if I use a wired connection?
  • motti82 25 Sep 2012 20:04:29 2,862 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, same setup as the wired connection will be using the same IP. I've noticed recently after 9pm that the Virgin connection has been a bit shit.
  • spindle9988 25 Sep 2012 20:39:53 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @motti82

Thanks mate. Just about to give it a try
  • MrDigital 25 Sep 2012 21:10:43 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bit of an issue, hopefully someone can help.

On Thursday, Virgin Media are coming to do installation of what according the contract (and the guy I set it up with on the phone) is 60Mb.

But I recently discovered 60Mb was on the "doubled speeds" Virgin is offering, and when I check my postcode in the Virgin Double Speed Availability checker, it says double speeds are not coming to my area until 2013.

What's going on? On their website they advertise 60Mb without mentioning anything about potentially having to wait for a speed double, it says it on my contract and the guy on the phone didn't mention anything.

Should I get 60Mb?

Formerly TheStylishHobo and Geesh.

• Whizzo 25 Sep 2012 21:14:01 43,033 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The double speed checker is for existing customers that are getting upgraded (like me) rather than new customers, so you'll probably be getting it straight off the bat as that's what you've asked for.

This space left intentionally blank.

• monkehhh 25 Sep 2012 21:14:04 3,267 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Geesh I was on 50, moved and got setup on 100 - though the speed checker says I wouldn't have been doubled to 100 if I hadn't moved until the end of this year. Maybe they're putting new folks on the double speed already? If the contract says 60, you should get 60 - you could ring and get confirmation.
  • MrDigital 25 Sep 2012 22:53:33 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That's great guys, cheers. Might call them to check, but feeling good now.

• Deleted user 25 September 2012 23:28:50
    @trav

Whizzo wrote:
    I don't have any complaints about my Superhub running in modem only mode though, well other than the fact it lights up like a bloody Christmas tree.
    That's one thing that annoys me, the Superhub seems to want to land planes on my house with the number of bloody lights on it.

Switching over to modem only though and through a router was the best thing I did. Have better range, no more dropping out and just better all
    round connection. If you can install a router, do it as soon as possible.

Hello, just curious as to which wireless router you went for?

Thanks in advance
  • spindle9988 26 Sep 2012 08:34:38 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still having major issues. I am not even that worried about download speeds, I just want to play online without lag. I done a speed check last night and was struggling to get 10mbs (supposed to be 100meg). My ping was also at 85. I rang them last night and just got put on hold indefinitely. Goona call from work today and if they cant sort it I will be changing isp
  • monkehhh 26 Sep 2012 15:10:24 3,267 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spindle9988 hope you get through spindle, once I've got past the usual phone checks and they send someone out things have got much better.
  • spindle9988 26 Sep 2012 15:54:25 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkehhh

Thanks mate. Had to cancel today. Just ordered BT Infinity
  • monkehhh 26 Sep 2012 16:04:21 3,267 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @spindle9988 How did cancelling go? Did you get through to the "please stay we'll make it cheaper" team?
  • Raiko101 26 Sep 2012 16:12:42 6,055 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I thought you had to pay a cancellation fee. Me and my girfriend went with the 30meg speed, which although is slow, shouldn't be as slow as it is. It feels no faster than the old 2meg NTL days. :/

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• spindle9988 27 Sep 2012 08:33:53 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkehhh

My BT isnt being fitted until the 5th October. As my missus still needs the internet for uni I was gonna cancel it on the day. Ill post the results.
  • spindle9988 27 Sep 2012 08:42:00 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wont pay a cancellation fee as they havent provided me with the service they said they would.
  • MrDigital 27 Sep 2012 09:54:06 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Getting my 60Mb today, hopefully I won't have the same issues as you Spindle. I'll let you know the results.

• spindle9988 27 Sep 2012 10:00:30 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Geesh

I think i have just been unlucky to be fair. At my old address the broadband was brilliant so hopefully you will be fine mate. God forbid you ever have to call em
  • MrDigital 28 Sep 2012 17:43:00 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    :)

• Deleted user 29 September 2012 10:09:21
    I wonder how accurate speednet is sometimes. I mean you tend to find the one sever that comes back with your paid for download speed and be happy.

Edited by NeverEatYellowSnow at 10:22:07 29-09-2012
  • MrDigital 29 Sep 2012 10:59:15 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SpeedTest is accurate enough up to how much it is showing. It's always possible due to crappy servers that SpeedTest would underrate you're speed, but it seems fairly impossible for them to overrate you speed (as long as their measurement tools are correct) because the ISP is allowing you to go up to that speed.

• Zerobob 1 Oct 2012 14:55:22 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Starting to get very annoyed with Virgin's inconsistant 'Catch Up' service now.

For example, a few weeks ago the first HD episode of Doctor Who was missing in 'Catch Up', but the following weeks I specifically checked if the HD version was available, and it was. I assumed it was just an isolated fuck up by Virgin for the first Doctor Who episode.

So, I knew I'd miss Doctor Who on BBC1 HD this Sat, but thought nothing of it as I was planning on watching it in HD on 'Catch Up'. Nope, it was missing AGAIN.

I constantly have the same issue with QI and other programs too. I think it's due to the BBC constantly changing their mind on what specific shows Virgin can put on 'Catch Up', which is outrageous. The BBC get my licence fee money, Virgin get my monthly subscription money, yet I'm being denied to ability to catch up on staple BBC programmes in HD.

I don't have a HD HDD recorder yet (which is beside the point anyway) and iPlayer online just isn't great quality. I think the only alternative is to move to Sky, or download everything illegally at 720p and stream to my Xbox.
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2012 15:01:08 66,634 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought HD was only available to those with a V+ box - in which case, you should be able to record it....seriously, PVR is the only way to ensure you catch everything until they sort all this out.
  • oceanmotion 1 Oct 2012 15:04:48 15,647 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It can be a little weird. For example, some stuff appears in the Virgin Media BBC iPlayer but not in the collective catch up day/week listings.

Also, searching for a programme brings up some stuff that isn't listed either but is available to watch.

I'm not sure if turning off your box effects things, if you happen to do that at bedtime.
  • spindle9988 1 Oct 2012 15:10:30 3,490 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Geesh

I am jealous and part of me hates you
  • Zerobob 1 Oct 2012 15:21:56 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I thought HD was only available to those with a V+ box - in which case, you should be able to record it....seriously, PVR is the only way to ensure you catch everything until they sort all this out.
    No, I have a Virgin HD box (not V+) which can handle all the HD channels. On my package I've only got BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Ch4 HD, 5 HD, and Film 4 HD, but I can get HD programmes on Catch Up from these HD channels.
  • Zerobob 1 Oct 2012 15:23:56 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    It can be a little weird. For example, some stuff appears in the Virgin Media BBC iPlayer but not in the collective catch up day/week listings.

Also, searching for a programme brings up some stuff that isn't listed either but is available to watch.

I'm not sure if turning off your box effects things, if you happen to do that at bedtime.
    That's a good point. I might try going direct to the Virgin Media BBC iPlayer, and not the 'Day' or 'HD' specific listings.

I have tried completly resetting my box though, to refresh the programme listings, but no luck.
  • Dougs 1 Oct 2012 15:41:56 66,634 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:

No, I have a Virgin HD box (not V+) which can handle all the HD channels. On my package I've only got BBC 1 HD, BBC HD, ITV1 HD, Ch4 HD, 5 HD, and Film 4 HD, but I can get HD programmes on Catch Up from these HD channels.
    Ah, OK. Do they charge for their PVR service? I'm not in a cabled area, so have to go with Sky if I want anything half decent to watch.
  • RunningMan 1 Oct 2012 15:52:25 2,386 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the older PVR boxes (160GB) are now free except for an installation fee, which they usually waive. I have one and it's great. They charge 5 a month for the Tivo service.
  • MrDigital 1 Oct 2012 16:31:15 1,866 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spindle9988 ;-)

• Zerobob 1 Oct 2012 18:17:01 1,604 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Just noticed HD Doctor Who is now available on Virgin Media iPlayer. A day late, but it got there in the end. I've no idea where HD QI or HD QI XL is from the weekend though. I thought we were comfortably into the "HD era" by now.

In fact, now I've mentioned QI XL, why the hell do they have two versions of the same program?! Can't they just air QI XL?? It means if I'm in on a Friday I don't want to watch QI because there is a bigger better version of the same program on the next night. It's bloody ridiculous.

Yet another valid complaint I could level at the BBC is that my local BBC Look North news still isn't even in HD, so I have to keep switching back to BBC 1 Standard Def every time it cuts to the local news. Can't they just run my local news on BBC1 HD regardless, HD or not? Again, it's bloody ridiculous. How can programme scheduling be so over-complicated?!
  • Page

of 19 First / Last