Studio Ghibli Films Page 4

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• marilena 18 Dec 2009 08:42:42 8,203 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Haven't seen Princess Mononoke, but I can't see any flaw in My Neighbour Totoro. In my opinion, it's a perfect film.

Some of the others didn't work as well on me. Howl's Moving Castle especially, in fact I though that one was a bad film.
  • Deleted user 18 December 2009 08:51:36
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 18 December 2009 09:08:07
    Could you edit that out, thanks, dangerpuss.
  • FairgroundTown 18 Dec 2009 09:13:23 2,522 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The second half of Earthsea is pretty bad. It was like England under Sven - the first half good, the second half not so good.

Also... I refuse to believe there are any flaws in Kiki!
  • Mageme 18 Dec 2009 09:37:41 2,016 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Earthsea was awful; Howl's was miles better IMO. Neither top Laputa or Princess Mononoke though.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• keyboardmonkey 18 Dec 2009 10:08:44 409 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kiki was a great story, Porco Rosso was not what i expected and i thought also had a great story to it.
    The only one i haven't really enjoyed was Grave of the fireflies, i didn't even get to wathc it all, although it could have just been the person i was watching it with was on such a downer.

Everyone who has posted in this thread should also make sure they get there ass to Japan and go to the Studio Ghibli museum :-D
  • Deleted user 18 December 2009 10:23:53
    Or the next best thing, visit http://www.ghibliworld.com excellent site, has all the latest news and insight into the studio, including an interview about the next film Ged42 mentioned on the previous page (not Ponyo).

BTW looks like Ocean Waves is finally coming out on DVD in the UK in January.
  • Gartt 18 Dec 2009 15:00:27 1,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My fave Ghibli is easily Grave of the Fireflies, its an incredible piece of filmmaking, moving, emotional and incredibly sad all the same time. Ive only ever managed to watch it twice, I go to pieces watching it.

I also love The Cat Returns, its just so much fun.

My Neighbour Totoro is probably my favourite Miyazaki Ghibli followed by Laputa, but in my opinion Miyazaki's best film was is Lupin the 3rd film, The Castle of Cagliostro which was made before Studio Ghibli was founded.
  • Gartt 18 Dec 2009 15:01:18 1,740 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My fave Ghibli is easily Grave of the Fireflies, its an incredible piece of filmmaking, moving, emotional and incredibly sad all the same time. Ive only ever managed to watch it twice, I go to pieces watching it.

I also love The Cat Returns, its just so much fun.

My Neighbour Totoro is probably my favourite Miyazaki Ghibli followed by Laputa, but in my opinion Miyazaki's best film was is Lupin the 3rd film, The Castle of Cagliostro which was made before Studio Ghibli was founded.
  • Ged42 24 Dec 2009 14:05:33 7,732 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Kiki's Delivery Service has just started on Film4 +1
  • Deleted user 24 December 2009 14:23:26
    Ponyo in 1080p is incredible. It's obvious that most, if not all, of the artwork is hand drawn and there's so much detail on screen.
  • freakzilla 25 Dec 2009 07:49:31 69 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    gimo80 wrote:
    I think it affects certain people depending on what experiences they have had in the past - the film reminded me of certain aspects of my life, and that's why I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

It's only THAT film and The Lion King that actually make me cry!...

*ahem*

When I first watched it, I wasn't quite as saddened as most people but later when similar things (although obviously not as bad) things happened in my life it did affect me quite a bit.

But I'm more easily affected by music so I really get sad when listening to the soundtrack.
  • freakzilla 25 Dec 2009 07:55:36 69 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mageme wrote:
    lost_soul wrote:
    Porco Roso and The Cat Returns are probably the worst of the Ghibli films I've seen.

I guess you haven't seen Earthsea yet then? Really. Don't. You'll re-evaluate your worst Ghibli list instantly.
    Then you haven't seen whisper of the heart. girl sees cat follows cat, sees weird wonderland comes back, meanwhile boy wants to be a violin maker (forget the actual term), goes to italy, comes back, he proposes and she accepts.... and the boy looks like he's only 15 and the girl looks like a 10 year old BTW. The end[/spolier]

The plot was sooooo slow, nothing ever really happened.
  • Deleted user 25 December 2009 08:53:49
    That's why it's good. If you can't appreciate a window into another life like that for what it is, played out with pathos and real tenderness, and call it one of the worst Ghibli films, then I feel a bit sorry for you. Boring? No, it's beautiful.
  • secombe 27 Jan 2010 00:06:16 1,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Does anyone know if Ponyo will get a subtitled release at all in the UK? For whatever reason I have a serious disliking of the dubs (possibly because they use known actors, which takes me out of the story completely)

I can probably rely on my local indie showing it next month (Little Theatre in Bath) but I'm guessing dubbed as it seems to be getting a fair but of promotion ahead of its theatrical release here.
  • kdsh7 27 Jan 2010 01:27:19 1,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    That's why it's good. If you can't appreciate a window into another life like that for what it is, played out with pathos and real tenderness, and call it one of the worst Ghibli films, then I feel a bit sorry for you. Boring? No, it's beautiful.

This. I watched 'WOTH' after The Cat Returns and so wasn't expecting much but it affected me in a way few films have. Same goes for Only Yesterday, which really struck a chord with me, with it's themes of nostalgia and moving on. Some friends of mine have called the film slow and boring and I really don't know how adults who watch animation and try and legitimise them as an art form, can look down on those films that actually break new ground just because they're not about fantastical worlds filled with cute creatures.
  • kdsh7 27 Jan 2010 01:29:24 1,173 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    secombe wrote:
    Does anyone know if Ponyo will get a subtitled release at all in the UK? For whatever reason I have a serious disliking of the dubs (possibly because they use known actors, which takes me out of the story completely)

I can probably rely on my local indie showing it next month (Little Theatre in Bath) but I'm guessing dubbed as it seems to be getting a fair but of promotion ahead of its theatrical release here.

Not sure, but I've never seen any ghibli films in any cinemas round my way. We've been looking into getting it on blu-ray but it seems to be going for £70-80 on import
  • ilmaestro 27 Jan 2010 02:50:04 32,448 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ponyo came out on BD last month in Japan, but considering it's out in the States in a few weeks time I would say there's little point paying Japan prices now that you've waited this long.

• secombe 27 Jan 2010 07:56:34 1,328 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kdsh7 wrote:
    Not sure, but I've never seen any ghibli films in any cinemas round my way.

That's the odd thing, surely anyone putting the effort into actually finding a screening of a Ghibli film would want to see it in its original form? That's why I've never understood the limited releases we get in this country...who are they appealing to?
  • Deleted user 27 January 2010 14:44:14
    Ponyo in HD is amazing. I've got a 1080p rip and it just blew me away the first time I saw it. The colours are so vivid.

I'll be buying the Blu Ray whenever it's out over here or in the US (if region free).
  • Goban 27 Jan 2010 14:49:44 9,055 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm definitely going to screen it up here, as soon as I can get a print anyway. Interesting to see if anyone will actually come to see it.
  • Goban 27 Jan 2010 14:50:32 9,055 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Maybe I should screen a couple of the others before hand.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2010 14:53:19
    Goban wrote:

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are the most popular ones outside Japan, I think.
  • Goban 27 Jan 2010 14:57:28 9,055 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Need to find out who's got the theatrical rights for the uk. Those nice people at Optimum.
  • consignia 27 Jan 2010 15:15:24 1,433 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    dangerpuss wrote:
    Ponyo in HD is amazing. I've got a 1080p rip and it just blew me away the first time I saw it. The colours are so vivid.

I'll be buying the Blu Ray whenever it's out over here or in the US (if region free).

The Blu-ray is out in Japan, region-free and dubbed/sub-titled in English :).

I did rather enjoy the film myself. Nice and colourful. Bit of a weird rushed ending, but a much better effort than the last Ghibli film, Tales from Earthsea.
  • Deleted user 27 January 2010 16:00:45
    kdsh7 wrote:
    squarejawhero wrote:

This. I watched 'WOTH' after The Cat Returns and so wasn't expecting much but it affected me in a way few films have. Same goes for Only Yesterday, which really struck a chord with me, with it's themes of nostalgia and moving on. Some friends of mine have called the film slow and boring and I really don't know how adults who watch animation and try and legitimise them as an art form, can look down on those films that actually break new ground just because they're not about fantastical worlds filled with cute creatures.

If anything they're more forward thinking than recent Pixar films, which are outright praised for their more adult qualities. IMO, obviously.
  • mal 27 Jan 2010 16:59:02 22,560 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    dangerpuss wrote:
    Goban wrote:

Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle are the most popular ones outside Japan, I think.

I think that's only because they got bigger theatrical releases. Mononoke got a fairly expensive US release a few years after its release in Japan which flopped due to lack of publicity, followed by a quickly discounted DVD release. That's how I got into Miyazaki.

After that Sprited Away received a well publicised cinematic release, but I'm guessing it didn't do as well as they expected since Howl's seemed to get a smaller release. It doesn't seem to have got the mainstream traction they were hoping for in the west, but they have at least released most of the earlier films on DVD now.

In my opinion Spirited Away and Howl's are not his best films by a fair distance, but they are the most well known over here because they got the biggest cinematic releases.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• ilmaestro 27 Jan 2010 20:56:32 32,448 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    Ponyo came out on BD last month in Japan, but considering it's out in the States in a few weeks time I would say there's little point paying Japan prices now that you've waited this long.
    Unless, apparently, you want lossless Japanese audio, which Disney will not be including on their BD release. Of course, if you want lossless English audio, you have to buy the Disney release. Yay for "region free".

• Page

of 13 First / Last