Studio Ghibli Films Page 7

• Page

of 13 First / Last

• Deleted user 11 December 2011 10:04:22
    You could well be right Mr_Brett, I couldn't immediately find a copy on Amazon (I wouldn't buy it from ebay but that's just me as I never use ebay).

/goes back to searching for other boxsets
  • Derblington 11 Dec 2011 10:24:46 21,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr-Brett wrote:
    I hate to be 'that guy' but I'm pretty sure that's a very good knock-off :(

I bought a few like it a couple years back on ebay, some are near impossible to tell but others are clearly fan-subs.
    It could be. It's on Amazon US though unavailable.

Edited by Derblington at 10:36:45 11-12-2011
  • Mr-Brett 11 Dec 2011 10:47:12 12,748 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well I hope it's not but thought I should warn you, just in case.

Portable view - Never forget.

• Derblington 11 Dec 2011 11:10:24 21,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not fussed either way, I had already considered it.
  • Zackv4861 11 Dec 2011 14:58:08 1,084 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My favorite is "The Cat Returns". We went through a stage of watching so many of these. Such good films
  • BravoGolf Moderator 12 Dec 2011 00:01:25 12,740 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I wish it had The Girl Who Leapt Through Time as I want to see that too but I'll get it separately. It's one of the few out on Bluray so I'll just make that purchase at some point.
    Amazing as well, that movie is so tender.
  • Derblington 12 Dec 2011 09:46:50 21,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My set arrived 5 minutes ago and I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's not a fake. I could be wrong but the case is hard plastic with a pvc slipcase, printing is decent quality on the outside and the artwork within, discs all look good and it has stickers all over it that lend to it's authenticity.

The info I found before purchase was that it's an official Malaysian release by Animedia Entertainment, and nothing visible makes me believe any different.

18 Ghibli classics for less than 25 :)

Edited by Derblington at 15:31:59 12-12-2011
  • Angela7F 12 Dec 2011 12:51:07 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My favourite is definitely "Sprited Away".
    I am a big Evangelion fan and its so cool to think that two of the most legendary animators used to work together.
    I visited the Ghibli museum in Tokyo before, and it was awesome!

http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/
  • daz_john_smith 12 Dec 2011 16:12:09 1,636 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    I think Film 4 or channel 4 are doing a season of Studio Ghibi films, including Ponyo. Dunno when it starts though. It was probably two months ago and already finished, or something :/
    Looks like it started Saturday with Ponyo, Mononokee yesterday, Tales from Earthsea today.

Shame they seemingly don't have the rights to show Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle. Pretty sure the Beeb showed Howls Moving Castle when it was on terrestrial. Did they show Spirited Away too?

Edited by daz_john_smith at 16:14:46 12-12-2011
  • ecureuil 12 Dec 2011 16:22:43 76,661 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah they did.
  • mal 12 Dec 2011 16:27:28 22,419 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'll bet they're the dubbed versions. like they are when they show them on channel 4. Works for some of the films, but many of the dubs are simply terrible.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• LockeTribal 12 Dec 2011 16:28:40 4,510 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nope, all subbed versions \o/

EDIT: Except the repeat of Ponyo on Christmas Day is dubbed :/

Edited by LockeTribal at 16:32:01 12-12-2011
  • mal 12 Dec 2011 17:23:07 22,419 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    \o/

• waggy79 12 Dec 2011 17:24:16 933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I like watching these with the kids so prefer dubbed personally. Watched ponyo sub today and the jap voices kinda bugged me.
  • mrharvest 12 Dec 2011 19:11:42 5,194 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    area881 wrote:
    OCEAN WAVES is the best and most MATURE Ghibli movie. Anyone AGREE?
    Hmm, almost. I'd say "Only yesterday" / "Omohide poro poro".
  • Lt_Drebin 13 Dec 2011 23:12:56 146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    I ordered myself one of these a week or so ago: Studio Ghibli 18 movie collection

I've not seen a lot of the films myself but I've always meant to, and I wanted a cheap way to do it, so this killed two birds. Not expecting it to arrive until after xmas but looking forward to that week :)
    Cheers for pointing this one out! I have borrowed a few of the Ghibli films off a friend at work and was just looking for a few of them to add to my collection. I nearly dropped 15 on just 3 of the films in this set!

I don't think any other film has captured the simple joys of childhood in quite the same way as My Neighbour Totoro. Especially that scene where he is getting excited about large rain drops falling on his umbrella. Took me right back to Sundays spent walking through the woods when I was 6 with my family, umbrella in hand :-) Good times.

Edited by Lt_Drebin at 23:21:26 13-12-2011
  • Angela7F 16 Dec 2011 11:45:01 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    In Japan they showed laputa on TV on Dec 9th, and Japan made a new world record because 25088 tweets were made at 23:22 o'clock when the characters said "Balse".

I think thats so funny.
    Shows how anime, especially Miyazaki movies are so embedded into Japanese society.
  • Deleted user 16 December 2011 11:47:28
    Angela7F wrote:
    I am a big Evangelion fan and its so cool to think that two of the most legendary animators used to work together.

Couldn't find it when I was there :(
  • Angela7F 19 Dec 2011 08:59:12 16 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Angela7F wrote:

Couldn't find it when I was there :(
    yeah, probably because its located a little bit outside of Tokyo.
    Also you have to make a reservation in advance to visit.
    http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/ticket-information/

The inside is really cool, and the food there is based on the movies.
    Not entirely the same, but you can imagine that this is what the food will look like in real life.
    http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/welcome/cafe/007499.html

I strongly recommend people to visit!
  • Mageme 19 Dec 2011 13:01:04 2,008 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My absolute favourite Laputa, Castle in the Sky is on Film4 this afternoon. Awesomeness!

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• mal 22 Dec 2011 00:48:42 22,419 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't see why the subtitle wouldn't be decent. All the Japanese ghibli films I own on DVD (region 2 ftw!) have english subs, and while I'm pretty sure they don't use those translations for the English versions (there is the occasional ideosyncracity and most of the english dubs I've seen are not direct translations) I don't see why they wouldn't use those for any pirate or otherwise release.

• Deleted user 22 December 2011 09:33:25
    Last few days of the Ghibli fest on Film Four. Sadly it seems that this is the last time they'll be shown due to license issues. Probably means they'll all be restricted to cunting Sky from here on in :-(
  • jakuande 22 Dec 2011 13:25:43 192 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Miyazaki is a genius but I think the composer for these films : Joe Hisaishi deserves alot of credit too. His film scores are beautiful and really add an emotional kick to Miyazaki's bittersweet fairy tales. He's also done some great work with Takeshi Kaneshiro , esp in Kids Return, Sonatine, Hana-Bi and Dolls.
  • Lt_Drebin 22 Dec 2011 13:52:34 146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My Malaysian set just turned up! Perfect timing as I'm at home sick with man-flu. If they are bootleg they're the best dodgy set I've seen in my life. Lovely artwork, great quality versions of the films and all with English subtitles. Very happy with my purchase here :-) Now, laputa to start I think...
  • waggy79 22 Dec 2011 13:58:15 933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    My Malaysian set just turned up! Perfect timing as I'm at home sick with man-flu. If they are bootleg they're the best dodgy set I've seen in my life. Lovely artwork, great quality versions of the films and all with English subtitles. Very happy with my purchase here :-) Now, laputa to start I think...
    Is that the one with the cat in the umbrella on the cover? because I was debating on getting that one off eBay. 18 films but a few don't have English subs..
  • Lt_Drebin 22 Dec 2011 14:37:17 146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    waggy79 wrote:
    Lt_Drebin wrote:
    Is that the one with the cat in the umbrella on the cover? because I was debating on getting that one off eBay. 18 films but a few don't have English subs..
    Yeah that's the one. They all have English subs but only a few of them have English voiceovers. These are usually not very good in my experience though so it's only an issue if you've got kids who want to watch them as the subtitles can move at a fair pace.
  • waggy79 22 Dec 2011 15:10:53 933 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Lt_Drebin
    Ah thanks, in the absence of an official ghibli boxset this certainly seems like the best bet. Could you tell me what films are dubbed please? I've been watching the film4 ones and subbed doesnt bother me, just prefer dub for family viewing.
  • Lt_Drebin 22 Dec 2011 15:39:55 146 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The films with English voiceovers are:
    Grave of Fireflies, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service, Laputa (Castle in the Sky), Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke and the Castle of Cagliostro.

Only word of advice I'd give- I reckon the demons and level of bloodshed in Mononoke would upset most young kids so if you're planning some family viewing it's probably wise to check the films out yourself first. Some of them are surprisingly adult for their PG status.

Edited by Lt_Drebin at 15:40:23 22-12-2011
  • Page

of 13 First / Last