Studio Ghibli Films

• Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous
  • gimo80 22 May 2008 22:29:13 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hope that that no one else has made a thread about this, but yeah I have to say, most of these films are so magical and inspiring.

If anyone has got a favourite, just shout it out here!

Mine is a flip between Laputa: Castle In The Sky or Porco Rosso, two brilliantly made films with so much imagination.
  • otto Moderator 22 May 2008 22:30:29 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :)

Totally share your enthusiasm but I hate to break it, there have to be a million threads on Ghibli. Also a dedicated group. But always happy to talk about them again.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• absolutezero 22 May 2008 22:32:47 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Im not.
  • gimo80 22 May 2008 22:33:57 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Darn! Well, please feel free if you want to talk on this one haha!

I think I'll have a look at the group :p
  • Ciaran 22 May 2008 22:41:07 1,070 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ghibli! Miyazaki! Takahata! \o/

/has a little plush totoro so as not to be 'alone' in the car when stuck in traffic

Now guess what my favourite Ghibli film is...

(Princess Mononoke btw, Totoro's a close second though.)
  • EddieBear 22 May 2008 22:46:43 560 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Totoro is ace. Although I really like Kiki's too. Mononononononononoke is probably my third favourite.
  • gimo80 22 May 2008 22:49:12 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Totoro was too cute, I was so enlightened throughout. And ah yeah, Kiki's was absolutely hilarious, especially when she nearly smacks into the bus!

Has anyone seen Grave Of The Fireflies?...*sniffle*
  • EddieBear 22 May 2008 22:54:05 560 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everything I've ever read about GotF suggests that its the most depressing film ever made. To be honest it didn't really get to me that much though I may not have been in the right frame of mind when I watched it.
  • gimo80 22 May 2008 23:00:12 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it affects certain people depending on what experiences they have had in the past - the film reminded me of certain aspects of my life, and that's why I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

It's only THAT film and The Lion King that actually make me cry!...

*ahem*

• otto Moderator 22 May 2008 23:08:04 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Kiki for me, followed by Totoro, then Spirited Away, then Mononoke, then Howl, then Nausicaa, then Laputa. I've never seen Porco Rosso.

Non-Miyazaki but I also really like the racoon film, actually prefer it to Laputa & Nausicaa.

The cat kingdom one, though, wasn't so keen on.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• silentbob 22 May 2008 23:09:25 28,918 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Otomo pwns.

VR News: www.roadtovr.com -- Follow us on Twitter.

• gimo80 22 May 2008 23:09:38 126 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:Non-Miyazaki but I also really like the racoon film, actually prefer it to Laputa & Nausicaa.

You mean Pom Poko?! I didn't quite understand that one :S
  • Ciaran 22 May 2008 23:15:43 1,070 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I managed to catch Ocean Waves/I Can Hear the Sea, the only straight-to-TV-Ghibli, a couple of weeks ago (*cough*torrent*cough*) and was pleasantly surprised by it. It
    reminded me of Takahata's Only Yesterday, which I loved too. Will buy it on DVD if I ever have the chance.
  • otto Moderator 22 May 2008 23:18:10 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    gimo80 wrote:
    otto wrote:Non-Miyazaki but I also really like the racoon film, actually prefer it to Laputa & Nausicaa.

Yeah, that's it, LOVED that film

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• absolutezero 22 May 2008 23:22:07 7,956 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rodpad wrote:
    Did they do a short piece for the Animatrix? I'm thinking of the short that features the bugged part of a town where gravity and time is borked. It seemed very Ghibli from what I've briefly seen of their work.

Oh god no. That was actually interesting.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2008 23:38:07
    otto wrote:
    Kiki for me, followed by Totoro, then Spirited Away, then Mononoke, then Howl, then Nausicaa, then Laputa. I've never seen Porco Rosso.

Non-Miyazaki but I also really like the racoon film, actually prefer it to Laputa & Nausicaa.

The cat kingdom one, though, wasn't so keen on.

Wow, Kiki for me too. Awesome taste, in fact... just the same as me except I'd say maybe I'd change some of those for some Isao Takahata, as I love his character studies. I'd probably place Only Yesterday and Whisper Of The Heart over Monoke and Nausicaa.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2008 23:40:42
    absolutezero wrote:
    rodpad wrote:
    Did they do a short piece for the Animatrix? I'm thinking of the short that features the bugged part of a town where gravity and time is borked. It seemed very Ghibli from what I've briefly seen of their work.

I loved that one as well, but no, not Ghibli. That director works in TV mostly. Iirc he was a bit of a problem getting up to speed but totally delivered the goods imo!
  • caligari 22 May 2008 23:52:18 16,832 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Totoro!

...no, KiKi!
  • Pooley 23 May 2008 01:01:14 1,507 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wasn't there talk about all the Studio Ghibli films being re-released on Blu-Ray at some stage?

I've looked on their website, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone know?
  • Onny 23 May 2008 06:53:03 5,697 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    gimo80 wrote:
    I think it affects certain people depending on what experiences they have had in the past - the film reminded me of certain aspects of my life, and that's why I couldn't help but shed a few tears.

It's only THAT film and The Lion King that actually make me cry!...

*ahem*

Same here! Even though I was prepared for the teary bit in GotFF (had been pre-warned by someone), I couldn't help it and properly cried. Only one other film has done that to me, and I won't say what it is because it's a bit.. random. ;)

Personal favourite Ghibli film is probably Laputa followed by Mononoke followed by Spirited Away. Totoro didn't "click" for me, for some reason.

Actually, now I come to think of it, I've had Porco Rosso on DVD for ages, but have never got round to watching it. Hmmm.. I think I have an objective for the bank holiday weekend!

Has anyone seen Earthsea btw?
  • ilmaestro 23 May 2008 07:04:48 32,299 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pooley wrote:
    Wasn't there talk about all the Studio Ghibli films being re-released on Blu-Ray at some stage?

I've looked on their website, but I can't seem to find any info on this. Anyone know?
    Almost certain to happen, I'm not up on the current state of Disney's approach to Ghibli films, but the amount of anime being released on Blu-ray in Japan is about to explode over the next couple of months and high profile stuff like the Ghibli movies can't be far behind.

As much as the manga is better, my fave is still Nausicaa, with Spirited Away second.

• Charlie_Miso 23 May 2008 07:13:10 1,191 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    rodpad wrote:

That was them - you can tell by the cat; Yuki

(edit - Yuki is the name of the princess cat in The Cat Returns)

Same name as my cat. :)

I'm a Nausicaa and Laputa fan but Spitited Away may be the best for me.
  • otto Moderator 23 May 2008 07:52:11 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Question: do the Ghibli DVDs in the UK have those awful unskippable intros by that twat Lassiter?

They fill me with rage every time. As if I need some fucking Hollywood dickhead to tell me who Miyazaki is!! Who's fucking John Lassiter anyway? Why not stick in an intro from Miyazaki on him? Oh right BECAUSE IT'S NOT ABOUT HIM.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 23 May 2008 08:02:46 10,785 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Guess that's the trouble with the Studio Ghibli US releases... Luckily the EU versions do not have an unskippable intro from John Lassiter. In fact, I think only Spirited Away, Mononoke and Howl's have any interviews with the said Mr Lassiter (who incidentally is a pretty cool guy, being on the main two directors at Pixar and a superfan of Miyazaki).
  • otto Moderator 23 May 2008 08:09:42 49,291 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I wouldn't know if he's cool IRL, he most definitely is not in those goddamn unskippable intros! :/

I looked for a youtube of the intro just to give you a treat but luckily for you I couldn't find one. It seems there really IS something TOO STUPID for the internets.

In doing so I also learned that actually he's John LassEter. Meh.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• lost_soul 23 May 2008 08:27:01 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spirited Away is my favourite, closely followed by Nausicaa, Howl's (ignoring the last five minutes) and Kiki.

GotF would be up there if I could actually sit through it a second time.

Porco Roso and The Cat Returns are probably the worst of the Ghibli films I've seen.
  • Mageme 23 May 2008 08:33:10 1,962 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    lost_soul wrote:
    Porco Roso and The Cat Returns are probably the worst of the Ghibli films I've seen.

I guess you haven't seen Earthsea yet then? Really. Don't. You'll re-evaluate your worst Ghibli list instantly.

3DS: 5086-1465-9252

• afghan_jones 23 May 2008 08:49:04 3,029 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    otto wrote:
    gimo80 wrote:

Yeah, that's it, LOVED that film

I liked the way they could transform their testicles into things. the bit where they were all sat on a blanket that turned out to be a big nutsack was quality.
  • FairgroundTown 23 May 2008 09:13:30 2,522 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I reckon Porco Roso is a really interesting film about what war does to people; but my fave is Kiki, because it is so "innocent" - there aren't any bad guys - it is a world where life is just this amazing, beautiful thing. It is the ultimate chick-flick, I supose!
  • Page

of 12 First / Last

Previous