Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Page 2

• Page

of 9 First / Last

• Sean.Aaron 17 Dec 2008 07:43:10 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    According to folks at the GeckoOS support forums this game will not run using hacks or chips that set the system to region-free. You get a screen in Japanese instead.

To be honest I'm not surprised to see Japanese games appearing that check system region -- especially from Capcom. Back in the PSX days I recall the Strider-StriderII game checking for mods and refusing to start StriderII if they were detected; as someone who had purchased the localised release of the game and only bought legit imports I found this pretty galling.

This is just FYI; I have no personal interest in this game and I have a Japanese system.
  • ilmaestro 17 Dec 2008 07:51:32 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So can you use some homebrew thingy to force your region to Japanese to play the game, and then go back to region free at some other point? Or is it completely blocked (ie. do I need to fork out for a new Japanese machine ^^;)?

• Deleted user 17 December 2008 08:14:28
    Hopefully Gecko will be updated to run this.

Does it have a EU release date?
  • ilmaestro 17 Dec 2008 08:24:04 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    Does it have a EU release date?
    "No" doesn't even cover it.

• Deleted user 17 December 2008 08:25:46
    Ok, I'll just wait for Gecko to update.
  • Der_tolle_Emil 17 Dec 2008 09:20:32 7,301 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn. I really want this. I have always been a fan of the Capcom vs. Games. They can still be very competitive but do seem a bit more on the 'fun' fun side in comparison to other fighting games.
  • neonemesis 17 Dec 2008 09:23:10 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Screw this, I'm so tempted to wait and see if there isn't even the slightest chance of it coming to this part of the world then just go and buy a Japanese Wii on the cheap from somewhere if it doesn't. Of course, I'll research some other games so I don't buy the unit just for TvsC...
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Dec 2008 11:35:09 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ilmaestro wrote:
    So can you use some homebrew thingy to force your region to Japanese to play the game, and then go back to region free at some other point? Or is it completely blocked (ie. do I need to fork out for a new Japanese machine ^^;)?

I'm unaware of anything at present; methods of doing so in the past offered you the possibility of bricking your machine. I don't know if the GeckoOS dev is considering any method of choosing a region -- it's not apparent to me that this is something that's that easy to do in software -- note that when you run a game through GeckoOS there's no record in your play diary that the game ran, so I suspect the hack is something simple; getting it to run as a different region system would be more difficult; after the latest updates even moreso.

I threw in the towel and bought a Japanese system because I didn't want my imports to fall victim to the arms race between hackers and Nintendo; after reading about issues using peripherals from out-of-region like Rock Bank gear from NA on a PAL machine; I just don't think it's worth it to fight with them.

I'm not the biggest fan of fighting games (still haven't bothered booting my Japanese copy of Brawl I got with my import system) I have to say this trailer looks completely off the hook and I'm actually a bit tempted -- tag team matches? WTF?!? And the G-Force team is a draw...especially if the other two are in there...
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Dec 2008 11:39:58 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neonemesis wrote:Of course, I'll research some other games so I don't buy the unit just for TvsC...

Well, if you're into Mahjong (or want to learn), that would be something else exclusive. Captain Rainbow doesn't look like something likely to be localised either. There's also a decent amount of VC content not presently available outside of Japan, plus all the Megadrive games are 200 points cheaper (!?!) on the Japanese VC than in PAL-land.

On the whole I'm impressed with the number of games getting worldwide release this time around. When I had a Playstation the volume of stuff not getting released outside of Japan in the form of arcade compilations was staggering and I got my console modded without a second thought. Now with online firmware updates and the game software checking for that stuff, buying multiple systems seems to be the way forward. I'm just glad there's nothing exclusive to North America I give a toss about; there's no way I'd be having three versions of the same console!
  • neonemesis 17 Dec 2008 11:48:15 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    I'm not the biggest fan of fighting games (still haven't bothered booting my Japanese copy of Brawl I got with my import system) I have to say this trailer looks completely off the hook and I'm actually a bit tempted -- tag team matches? WTF?!? And the G-Force team is a draw...especially if the other two are in there...

Any game with Viewtiful Joe in = insta-win.

Can't say mahjong really appeals to me tbh. If I took the time to learn it then...maybe but I tried to have a go at it on Yakuza 2 as part of some of the side-missions and couldn't understand what was going on at all. I'm sure there are other things I'd like such as weird/obscure fighting games, generic anime styled games :/

Where did you get yours from Sean? Any issues I need to know about with regards to connecting the machine up to a TV? (I'm a technology noob).
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Dec 2008 12:13:51 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neonemesis wrote:

Where did you get yours from Sean? Any issues I need to know about with regards to connecting the machine up to a TV? (I'm a technology noob).

eBay; it took a few tries as I was determined to pay under 100 incl. P+P (ended up being 85).

I would ensure that you're not buying a console that's been modded in any way as there are people selling Japanese consoles that have been chipped or had their firmware replaced -- which would defeat the purpose if you want to get this game.

Unless you're lucky enough to get one from someone that's including a UK power supply you'll need to get one of those -- make sure to get an official Nintendo one (I scored one 2nd hand for under 7) as there are a load of 3rd party ones from Hong Kong; government advisories on unsafe DS power supplies abound, so I would avoid the tempting discount price unless you're willing to take the chance on bad things happening.

Lastly depending on your setup you'll want a component cable -- again, official Nintendo, though apparently some 3rd party ones are decent, but I'd only try 3rd party if you're buying it from someplace you can return it in case it's got shielding issues, etc.

As long as your tv does NTSC colour and 480p/480i (for the VC stuff), you'll be fine. The setup menus can be tricky, but I can steer you towards a site with a guide that I used for that. I did manual WiFi config which was a bit trial and error -- that isn't covered there. For the most part you can just overlay the English language menus in places like the Wii Shop and make your way around.

If you have any interest in learning Mahjong this site is pretty good at the basics of the video games you'd get on MAME; the rules stick to Riichi rules, so should be good for playing Yakuman Wii or any other Mahjong game you'd encounter in Japan.
  • neonemesis 17 Dec 2008 12:21:03 1,640 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Sean.Aaron wrote:
    neonemesis wrote:

eBay; it took a few tries as I was determined to pay under 100 incl. P+P (ended up being 85).

I would ensure that you're not buying a console that's been modded in any way as there are people selling Japanese consoles that have been chipped or had their firmware replaced -- which would defeat the purpose if you want to get this game.

Unless you're lucky enough to get one from someone that's including a UK power supply you'll need to get one of those -- make sure to get an official Nintendo one (I scored one 2nd hand for under 7) as there are a load of 3rd party ones from Hong Kong; government advisories on unsafe DS power supplies abound, so I would avoid the tempting discount price unless you're willing to take the chance on bad things happening.

Lastly depending on your setup you'll want a component cable -- again, official Nintendo, though apparently some 3rd party ones are decent, but I'd only try 3rd party if you're buying it from someplace you can return it in case it's got shielding issues, etc.

As long as your tv does NTSC colour and 480p/480i (for the VC stuff), you'll be fine. The setup menus can be tricky, but I can steer you towards a site with a guide that I used for that. I did manual WiFi config which was a bit trial and error -- that isn't covered there. For the most part you can just overlay the English language menus in places like the Wii Shop and make your way around.

If you have any interest in learning Mahjong this site is pretty good at the basics of the video games you'd get on MAME; the rules stick to Riichi rules, so should be good for playing Yakuman Wii or any other Mahjong game you'd encounter in Japan.

Woa, thanks for all the info Sean. Not sure if I will use it for any of the shop/online stuff anyway so I guess thats a little less complicated. I just need to check that my TV can display NTSC colour which is something I've been meaning to do for ages but never got round to.
  • Sean.Aaron 17 Dec 2008 13:47:32 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I'd be rather surprised if it didn't; CRTs have been multi-format here for ages, though I noticed that some of the lower-end flat panels aren't up to snuff in that regard.

The shop is pretty groovy and cheaper than importing discs all the time. I can point you in the direction of a site where you can buy 3000 point card codes online for less than buying domestic ones. They appear to have bought a ton of them and uploaded the codes into some kind of database -- you paypal them, get a reference number from an automated phone system which you then input on their website and they email it to you. Excellent service -- esp. considering the alternative is doing a mail order of a card...
  • Sean.Aaron 18 Dec 2008 07:41:08 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, looks like some folks possibly were running a combination of outdated stuff who initially reported it didn't work with GeckoOS.

Other people are reporting this works fine with GeckoOS on their PAL systems, so I'd say it's probably safe to order away.

• ilmaestro 18 Dec 2008 18:49:54 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Damn straight it is, guess what I've been playing this afternoon. ^_____^

It actually works fine with Freeloader, for anyone who (like me) hasn't been arsed to update things and install... er... stuff.

• ilmaestro 18 Dec 2008 18:50:24 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh yeah, the game rocks, btw.

• itamae 18 Dec 2008 19:02:18 9,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Any early favourites? Personally, I like the look of that Gold Lightan bot, but I imagine he is a pain to play against.

Here's hoping for a 360 version.
  • Anasui 18 Dec 2008 19:29:55 437 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    still waiting for it, shipped three days ago from yesasia. Hopefully it's here on saturday
  • ilmaestro 18 Dec 2008 19:39:33 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had a quick go with Gold Lightan, he's super fun against the CPU until you get to the final boss who just smokes him. He can deal outrageous damage, but reading some comments he's pretty easy to deal with for a few characters, possibly more of a headache for others.

Chun-Li seems way fun in this, had a bit of a play with Casshern too, who's interesting as he has Friender as a striker that you can do some different things with. Looking forward to getting more into it, some of the early combo vids look very promising (this was linked on SRK a few days ago, so you may have seen it).

• JinTypeNoir 18 Dec 2008 19:56:01 4,386 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Karas, Rockman and Yatterman are my favorites so far. BTW, is it just me or do the extra minigames in this one shame most of the mini-game collections on the Wii? Especially that one that plays like a shmup.
  • faux_carnation 18 Dec 2008 20:07:14 9,344 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fecking weak sterling means this is 46 on play-asia.

:(
  • ilmaestro 19 Dec 2008 04:32:15 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arrgghh my arms! Managing to win Gold Lightan's minigame after playing the actual game for a couple of hours = oowwwwwwww. Timing a remote "flick", mashing A, simple lightgun styles games are all fine, but Lightan's is just pure remote waggling, and the CPU sets a decent pace for you beat. :( Still, earned me the money to unlock a couple more BGM tracks. ^_^ The tunes in the game are excellent, of course.

Super fun now I've got into it a bit, hadn't played a vs game for yonks. The final form of the boss is a bit annoying, though - I could do with a cheap tactic for it so I can get all the endings without too much trouble. ^^;

Chun-Li does indeed rock, and (as a nice segue) Rock is quite cool, too. Slightly annoyed that I died with this much (/holds fingers close together) energy left of my final enemy in Time Attack, though - didn't earn any money for it, and I'd have expected a fair bit for beating the default top ranking (the default difficulty isn't exactly testing, unless you suck like me).

This does make me want to go and watch some classic Tatsunoko anime, too. Of which I own... precisely none. ;_;

• Sean.Aaron 19 Dec 2008 07:47:57 2,531 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Fecking weak sterling means this is 46 on play-asia.

:(

Yeah, kind of puts you off a lot of stuff, doesn't it? Let's Tap! has set me back 36 -- I don't think I'd pay that much for any domestic title. Taiko Master is somewhere north of 50 I think (but that comes with a couple of drums, so you know...still not getting it!).
  • Deleted user 19 December 2008 08:12:02
    So, is this awesome then? I'm assuming it's an arcade perfect port considering the arcade board is a Wii?
  • seasidebaz 19 Dec 2008 08:49:19 6,126 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Is there Pinnochio in this game?

Or the Lil' Bits?
  • ilmaestro 19 Dec 2008 18:59:56 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    CrispyXUK wrote:
    So, is this awesome then? I'm assuming it's an arcade perfect port considering the arcade board is a Wii?
    Yeah, it was always designed with the Wii port in mind. It is totally awesome, some people (probably people who liked MvC2 too much) seem a little reluctant to admit it, but the slightly reigned-in silliness and slimlined list of game systems really improves it, for me.

• itamae 19 Dec 2008 19:06:55 9,883 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Reigned-in? Slimlined? From the videos I've seen it still looks like crazy on toast to me, with about twice as many button presses per second as my old brain can handle.

And I bet in a couple of weeks the hardcore crowd will have broken the game, and we'll see the first "infinites for everyone!" videos on youtube.

It does look like a lot of fun for casual gamers though.
  • ilmaestro 19 Dec 2008 19:29:27 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, a few of the infinites were found on the first day or so. :p Difficult to use in an actual match, though, thanks to Mega Crush and the fact that the timing is pretty tough by all accounts. Still would give you a big advantage if you could throw them out reliably, though.

It's "lacking" two or three systems from MvC2, and obviously you only have two players per team - it really does seem a lot more straight forward than MvC2 when you play it.

• uiruki 19 Dec 2008 19:36:40 3,704 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Keep meaning to stroll down to the local arcade andhave a go of this. It's clear the arcade version of this has been sent out to die though - my local Plaza Capcom has one (one!) cabinet for it, a hastily converted Viewlix from the SF4 group, and the LCD makes it look pretty blurry. I was a bit put off by the lack of buttons as well - I didn't like MVC2 at all, and one of the things I liked in the earlier Vs titles was the way you 'dialled in' combos with characters like Strider. Feel free to put me at ease, anyone :)
  • ilmaestro 20 Dec 2008 02:41:52 32,453 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, not really sure what to tell you, buddy. Four buttons is plenty for me, as I prefer KOF to SF anyway, and you can do some nice things with the assists (and it's not as abusable/punishable as in MvC2). I wasn't a massive fan of MvC2, either, and some of the features/systems are obviously pretty similar, but I find this feels a bit more like I'm in control of what is happening on the screen. It certainly feels, and all the talk from people who know a bit more than me suggests that it is, a fair bit more balanced and like it benefits from not having 50 kajillion characters in there.

• Page

of 9 First / Last