My left ear is blocked :(

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 04:10:20 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Woke up about 20 minutes ago and my left ear feels like it's completely blocked up with something - very similar to the feeling you get when you descend/ascend in an aircraft, but just won't clear.

It did this on Monday night too, but it seemed to clear.

Can hardly hear a bloody thing and also can't sleep :(
  • Bloodloss 7 May 2008 04:11:23 4,499 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ah yeah this happened to me the other week. Extremely annoying... I feel your pain :(
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 04:13:41 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers. Not sure what to do really - as it's done it two nights in a row, I suppose I better go to the doctors and get it checked in the morning.

From what I've read on the internet, sounds like it might be a build up of earwax that's causing the blockage.
  • kcorb 7 May 2008 04:16:52 2,147 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Take a shower and clean your ears?
    Plug your nose and blow?
    Drink some rubbing alcohol upside down while humming?
  • beep 7 May 2008 04:18:34 434 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Its wax. This happened to me a few years ago and all it took was a good clean.
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 04:18:51 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hmmmm, not sure if I like the idea of self-treatment - it can only lead to permanent deafness ;-)
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 04:19:27 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beep wrote:
    Its wax. This happened to me a few years ago and all it took was a good clean.

A good clean by yourself or did you go to a GP?
  • DaM 7 May 2008 06:51:22 12,612 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I reckon a few drops of battery acid should do the trick - maybe get a friend to help with the aiming.

Not too much mind, or you'll burn a hole straight through your brain.

• Merlinho 7 May 2008 06:59:29 5,909 posts
    Seen 12 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can get eardrops that are designed to break down ear wax.

Saying that, I had to go to the doctors when I had it to get it sorted, basically they syringe your ear, like some sort of powerspray to dislodge it, it's a bit of a weird sensation but it worked a treat, they even showed me the nice piece of wax that came out. Ewww.
  • Tonka 7 May 2008 07:08:38 19,840 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    How do you smell?

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• lost_soul 7 May 2008 07:27:20 9,369 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Could be a moth.

This has happened to me a couple of times and it's horrible.
  • Deleted user 7 May 2008 07:37:33
    lost_soul wrote:
    Could be a mothman.

Fixed for additional Indrid Cold terror
  • SlackMaster 7 May 2008 07:40:15 3,132 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pure olive oil ear drops are the best way to go. I had a similar problem but tried to use cotton buds and ended up getting an ear infection through making my ear sore.

PSN ID: To_Many_Rules

• Deleted user 7 May 2008 07:41:48
    SlackMaster wrote:
    Pure olive oil ear drops are the best way to go. I had a similar problem but tried to use cotton buds and ended up getting an ear infection through making my ear sore.

This doesn't happen when you use natures finest, the human finger.

/probes
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 07:49:16 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Cheers for the advice everyone. It sort of half cleared at about 4.45am this morning and I went back to bed.

It still feels like it needs to 'pop', so I am gonna book a doctor's appointment for tomorrow (which means I can work from home for an extra day \o/)
  • Dougs 7 May 2008 07:50:48 64,912 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The missus' ears are forever blocking up like this. She's had them syringed a few times, says it's great -only trouble is that she's sure she gets a little more deaf every time!

I've always used cotton wool buds and never had a problem. You do need to be careful with them though
  • _Price_ 7 May 2008 07:52:32 3,071 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well, at least it's not your right ear: you'd be really stuffed then....
  • pjmaybe 7 May 2008 08:08:10 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Otex works but fuck, it stinks.

Pure olive oil drops is the way to go but make sure you put some covers over your pillow cases after application. You don't want to see the shit that comes out of your lugholes in the night

/is plainly Father Jack
  • L0cky 7 May 2008 08:27:09 1,442 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I've always used cotton wool buds and never had a problem. You do need to be careful with them though

Shouldn't ever do this, the lining on your ear drum is about as fragile as wet rice paper.

Some people can use something like Otex and it'll clear up. Others need to book an appointment with the staff nurse at your gp and use olive oil drops for about a week before getting your ears blasted with warm water.

Be quite liberal with the olive oil or you might need a repeat visit.
  • LeoliansBro 7 May 2008 08:52:50 41,872 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've had this. Very hot shower followed by exploratory surgery with the curved end of a paperclip worked wonders. I'd recommend starting with earbuds though.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• mad_caddy 7 May 2008 08:53:52 3,306 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Think I may have told this story before but I had the same problem when I was about 14.

I used some ear drops (earex iirc) and the result was, my ear drum exploded. (thats how it sounded anyway)

The ear drops got behind the wax and caused me all sorts of problems. You can buy some salt water solution called "AudiClean" which does a very good job.

But for that extra bit of joy, I'd go and get them done at the doctors, you'll come out and suddenly find you've been partially deaf for yonks becaus eof wax.
  • Dougs 7 May 2008 09:00:44 64,912 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Dougs wrote:

Shouldn't ever do this, the lining on your ear drum is about as fragile as wet rice paper.

Oh, I know they say you shouldn't, just saying what has worked for me. I'm very careful, don't go too deep at all. Certainly not into the inner ear.
  • samk 7 May 2008 09:13:16 703 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mad_caddy wrote:
    I'd go and get them done at the doctors, you'll come out and suddenly find you've been partially deaf for yonks becaus eof wax.

Yeah absolutely, the wax gradually builds up and you don't notice your hearing slowly deteriorate. Then as JuanKerr found out it'll reach critical mass and block completely. When it's sorted out and the blockage is removed, you can hear a pin drop from a half mile away and a mouse squeak in a field over the hill.

I used to have problems with ear wax all the time in my teens and had to get my ears syringed at the docs every year or so.
    My left ear was blocked recently, for the first time in about 15 years.

As others have stated, never put anything smaller than your little fingers down your lughole. Just buy some ear drops, use them for 3-4 days, and if it still hasn't cleared up go to the docs. Ok, it's a really annoying sensation, but just grin and bare it for a few days. Better than sticking things right into your ear and really fucking up the mechanics in there permanently.
  • TheSaint 7 May 2008 09:31:51 13,630 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I have used those ear candles a few times as well and they seem to work a treat.
  • ecureuil 7 May 2008 09:33:05 76,030 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely wax. I'm quite the expert here, since I've been having this problem since I was a kid. I get my ears syringed every two years or so. They do say you shouldn't have your ears syringed often because it makes the problem worse, but there's often no choice. If you reach the point where your hearing is totally blocked, then there's pretty much no choice other than to get them syringed.

Either way, you're going to have to put olive oil down there (they can't clear them unless the wax has been completely softened). I've tried all the over-the-counter solutions, and by far the best is Earol. That's because it's not some chemical bollocks, it is just olive oil with a nozzle to get in to your ear. The feeling of lying down while it gets to your ear is actually really nice, you can feel it sort of dissolving and popping. If you use it early enough, it'll clear your ears without needing to go to the doctor.
  • thefilthandthefury 7 May 2008 09:33:22 24,901 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had this exact problem a few weeks ago. I woke up and thought I was deaf, I was shitting myself. It lasted about a week but then it just went away. Creepy!
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 09:33:41 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thanks again everyone - who needs a bloody doctor when you've got the combined knowledge of EGers at your disposal :)
  • pjmaybe 7 May 2008 09:34:31 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedPanda wrote:
    lost_soul wrote:
    Could be a mothman.

Fixed for additional Indrid Cold terror

You freaky bastard, you realise we're probably the only two people on this entire forum who know what you're on about.

/plans trip to Lanulos
  • JuanKerr 7 May 2008 09:35:35 36,094 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I had this exact problem a few weeks ago. I woke up and thought I was deaf, I was shitting myself. It lasted about a week but then it just went away. Creepy!

That's exactly what's happened to me for the past two nights - it was bloody scary I can tell you.

It's cleared a little bit since last night, but I can still feel a slight difference in pressure and it still feels 'blocked' to a certain extent.
  • Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous