I'm being threatened with the sack over GTA

• Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:33:13
    Sorry about another thread, but wasn't sure where to put this and this could (hopefully) turn into a general discussion on game embargoes.

Anyway, I managed to get GTA on Friday from my work, when as a customer I convinced some poor Polish guy to sell it to me as it was no big deal. Well I was just in now getting some shopping and was pulled up by my boss and two other managers and told I would have to have a meeting with the regional manager, the area manager and some other dude next time I am at work (Saturday). I was reminded that it was very serious, and told that apparently Morrisons, as a group, are never allowed to sell games from the publishers ever again. And that they had 'broken the law' in selling it to me.

W.T.F.
  • MetalDog 30 Apr 2008 19:35:32 23,706 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Whoops.
    You're probably screwed.

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• asha 30 Apr 2008 19:36:58 1,990 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    Sorry about another thread, but wasn't sure where to put this and this could (hopefully) turn into a general discussion on game embargoes.

Anyway, I managed to get GTA on Friday from my work, when as a customer I convinced some poor Polish guy to sell it to me as it was no big deal. Well I was just in now getting some shopping and was pulled up by my boss and two other managers and told I would have to have a meeting with the regional manager, the area manager and some other dude next time I am at work (Saturday). I was reminded that it was very serious, and told that apparently Morrisons, as a group, are never allowed to sell games from the publishers ever again. And that they had 'broken the law' in selling it to me.

W.T.F.

lol can they still sell GTA4? I think you just killed Morrisons! (I mean who shops there for the food?!! :p)

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2008 19:37:14 55,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh. Sorry but thats quite funny.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dirtbox 30 Apr 2008 19:40:07 76,329 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    lol

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• FWB 30 Apr 2008 19:41:07 41,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha. Sounds like shit but it'd be awesome if it wasn't. mowgli breaks Morrisons. That's something to put on your CV.
  • Metalfish 30 Apr 2008 19:41:39 8,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Charm wrote:
    But it was in your spare time and doesn't affect your work life :o
    ^This, hard.

It's blatently their fault, unless I've had some stick-end-grasping-malfunction.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:41:50
    No don't worry I find it funny too, it's only part time so finding another job aint going to be hard and there's something strangely cool feeling about getting fired over GTA... o_O

It's the other guy I feel sorry for, he had no idea it was such a big deal. Well to be honest either did I. They told me they can never sell the games again, so obviously they are pissed of. So I will be interested if anyone out there finds another shipment of GTAs in their local Morrisons.
  • daithi90 30 Apr 2008 19:42:02 3,283 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How high are you in the company? How did publishers know?
  • MetalDog 30 Apr 2008 19:42:06 23,706 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A) how old are you?
    B) did you install the game and play it before the street date with your network cable plugged in like a total noob?

-- boobs do nothing for me, I want moustaches and chest hair.

• von_Doll 30 Apr 2008 19:42:37 2,096 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Who the fuck do you think you are paying for and receiving your genuine retail goods a few days early? Such luxuries are reserved for torrent-hopping pirates and 15-year old copyright thieves.

Yes dear, I'm linking your new website everwhere I go. see - www.alldogsgotoerinn.com

• Dirtbox 30 Apr 2008 19:43:23 76,329 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's their problem not yours, if they want to lay the scape goat on you sue them for unfair dismissal. One of their staff sold a game, you buying it makes no difference.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2008 19:43:49 55,848 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Metalfish wrote:
    Charm wrote:
    But it was in your spare time and doesn't affect your work life :o
    ^This, hard.

It's blatently their fault, unless I've had some stick-end-grasping-malfunction.

No its not. Unless he described the situation badly, he used his position within the store to get someone to sell him the game early.

Business and pleasure crossed TO THE MAX.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• daithi90 30 Apr 2008 19:44:24 3,283 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You were a customer so they can hardly fire you! You could have done it to any shop and anybody could have done it to them!
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:46:10
    Well that's the thing, but when I was told about it I made sure to tell them that it was my fault in convincing the guy to sell it to me. I may have told him that "it's a mistake as, you know, all games come out today (Friday)". I was asking the week before so was duly warned that I wouldn't be getting near a copy until next Tuesday.
  • Metalfish 30 Apr 2008 19:46:51 8,689 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Metalfish wrote:
    ^This, hard.

No its not. Unless he described the situation badly...
    /Has tree-related-barking-misfortune.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:47:04
    I don't understand the original post.

Do you work for Morrisson's, mowgli? Did you sell GTA to some Polish guy or did some Polish guy sell GTA to you? Why are you being threatened with the sack?

/lost
  • asha 30 Apr 2008 19:47:36 1,990 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Waits for Daily Mail headline, "GAMES RAISE UNEMPLOYMENT"

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)

• FWB 30 Apr 2008 19:49:58 41,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it's gone that high up I suspect that when it got rung through the till it got picked up somewhere.

Quality, quality stuff. That'll teach them to have shit adverts.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:50:25
    MetalDog wrote:
    A) how old are you?
    B) did you install the game and play it before the street date with your network cable plugged in like a total noob?
    And it's on the 360, my cable was plugged in but it has nothing to do with them seeing me online as they would have no idea where i got it from etc. It must have shown up all highlighted and shit on the server. I was surprised when he scanned it and all was fine to be honest. I heard a lot of shops were not putting it on the system until Monday.

I'm just a shelf monkey so I have no actual say in the company I just noticed they had it in stock and went on the charm offensive.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:51:36
    MrED209 wrote:

Do you work for Morrisson's, mowgli? Did you sell GTA to some Polish guy or did some Polish guy sell GTA to you? Why are you being threatened with the sack?

/lost
    I work there. On my day of I went in and convinced some Polish guy to sell it to me early. They apparently broke the law in selling it to me, so I am being pulled up for it.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:51:46
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Halo_3-Liverpool_0 wrote:
    Basically he shit himself. I think his job may be on the line too how shakey his voice went.

I think some retailers and Take Two need to get a bit of perspective here. It's a game, FFS.

Can't believe that people's jobs are potentially threatened by selling it early, whether they mean it or not.

Nobody is going to lose their job over this. Nobody. Halo_3-Liverpool_0, get a grip and learn some manners. Please.

:D
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:52:26
    mowgli wrote:
    MetalDog wrote:
    A) how old are you?
    And it's on the 360, my cable was plugged in but it has nothing to do with them seeing me online as they would have no idea where i got it from etc. It must have shown up all highlighted and shit on the server. I was surprised when he scanned it and all was fine to be honest. I heard a lot of shops were not putting it on the system until Monday.

I'm just a shelf monkey so I have no actual say in the company I just noticed they had it in stock and went on the charm offensive.
    Does it matter if he played it on the network before the street date?
  • FWB 30 Apr 2008 19:53:14 41,918 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The serial code of your version would have a batch number and that's how they could track it down.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:53:34
    mowgli wrote:
    MrED209 wrote:

/lost
    I work there. On my day of I went in and convinced some Polish guy to sell it to me early. They apparently broke the law in selling it to me, so I am being pulled up for it.
    Because you should have known better? What's happened to the Polish guy? Presumably they've had him 'rubbed out' and dumped in the skips out the back...
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:54:12
    Gremmi wrote:
    el_pollo_diablo wrote:
    deathgibbon wrote:
    Halo_3-Liverpool_0 wrote:
    Basically he shit himself. I think his job may be on the line too how shakey his voice went.

I think some retailers and Take Two need to get a bit of perspective here. It's a game, FFS.

Can't believe that people's jobs are potentially threatened by selling it early, whether they mean it or not.

Nobody is going to lose their job over this. Nobody. Halo_3-Liverpool_0, get a grip and learn some manners. Please.

:D
    :D I was hopping someone would find that as I sure aint trolling through that thread anymore.
  • Deleted user 30 April 2008 19:54:22
    FWB wrote:
    The serial code of your version would have a batch number and that's how they could track it down.
    Oh come on.
  • Page

of 20 First / Last

Previous