The Boat Race Page 3

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• terminalterror 3 Apr 2006 14:03:42 18,937 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    otto wrote:
    Hmm, well, it's also possible that things have changed a bit since I was a student. In my day we were all a bunch of lefties and wearing a college scarf was roughly the equivalent of dressing in a gestapo uniform. Perhaps these days it's "cool" again to be all Brideshead Revisited? In which case, I'll join you in raising two fingers... :)

Nothing like that now. Not quite as extreme as you make out but college hoodies are quite prevalent and college scarves aren't too rare.

There are toffs but they keep themselves to themselves and I only really encounter them at the Union.
  • otto Moderator 28 May 2007 11:16:19 49,314 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oooh! Well have fun!

I used to live right by Bishops Park in Fulham, just by the starting point, so I used to go, definitely a good excuse for a piss-up in one of the local pubs but apart from that a bit of a non-event. It's kind of like a Grand Prix, it's difficult to follow from close-up.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Boat race, "cultural"??

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heh, OK, point taken.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Putney to Mortlake.

Best spots to watch: Bishop's Park, or the riverside pubs at Hammersmith Bridge.

Come on you blues. ;p

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Come on you blues.

Heh.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Owen, you're just subscribing to outdated stereotypes there, the Oxford I went to twenty years ago was not full of the people you're describing. It's true that the type of person who can be arsed to go to the Boat Race is more likely to conform to the stereotype than the average student, but even then chances are they're nothing like the people you seem to want to think they are. ;p

The class divide, such as it is, seems to be an educational one these days rather than an economic or a social one, and seems to be far more apparent to those who see themselves on the 'wrong' side of it.

So, anyway, we won again then? :p

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hmm, well, it's also possible that things have changed a bit since I was a student. In my day we were all a bunch of lefties and wearing a college scarf was roughly the equivalent of dressing in a gestapo uniform. Perhaps these days it's "cool" again to be all Brideshead Revisited? In which case, I'll join you in raising two fingers... :)

say no to Eurogamer sigs

Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rooney wrote:
    lol, oh yeah....hes ignoring me

someone tell him to un-ignore me, Ive been answering his posts....tell him to un-ignore me read the replys then ignore me again...

otherwise ive just wasted my fingers.
    Heh.

College scarves have made a comeback then? The youth of today... they're an embarrassment. :/

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• sport 30 Mar 2010 14:14:56 12,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So the question is lads, will otto be on Hammersmith Bridge this Saturday to cheer for his beloved blues?
  • Demikaze 30 Mar 2010 14:21:38 6,698 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I can't wait for this - my friends and I have a place on a boat avec bar and everything.
  • sport 30 Mar 2010 14:24:05 12,694 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pims at the ready, Demi?
  • Demikaze 31 Mar 2010 18:40:16 6,698 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    sport wrote:
    Pims at the ready, Demi?

Oh yes! And I'm with a contingent of ex-Oxford and ex-Cambridge guys which makes it even better. I think I'm their prole friend.
  • Bremenacht 31 Mar 2010 18:45:05 17,810 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Demikaze wrote:
    sport wrote:
    Pims at the ready, Demi?

Oh yes! And I'm with a contingent of ex-Oxford and ex-Cambridge guys which makes it even better. I think I'm their prole friend.
    :D Watch the buggers don't get too jolly and chuck you in!
  • Lukus 3 Apr 2010 15:17:17 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    This has got to be the most pointless build up to the most irrelevant sporting event, ever. (Beeb now.)

Paintings & Photographs

• Jackface 3 Apr 2010 15:33:25 3,736 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's hilarious to head down to a riverside pub and mill amongst the spectating Old Boys (we're talking those over 50) who pontificate in treacle-thick toff accents on the politics and the expertise and how back in their day blah blah blah.

Hilarious, I tell you.
  • Errol 3 Apr 2010 15:37:37 12,466 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or not.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2010 15:40:16
    WHO GIVES A SHIT..........................

Sorry during my youth doing my medical degree etc I've mixed with a lot of rich toff wankers.

Now hates most southerners with a passion.....................I'm a grim northern bastard.
  • Lukus 3 Apr 2010 15:41:51 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mitchell has the right idea. A sinking is the best we can hope for.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 3 April 2010 15:44:42
    Lukus wrote:

I'm hoping for a fucking nuclear subamarine plus where is Zeus when you need him RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I say let some rough necks from manchester fire mortar shells at the toffy bastards.
  • Lukus 3 Apr 2010 15:45:58 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So, why are all these rowers in their late twenties?

Paintings & Photographs

• heyyo 3 Apr 2010 15:50:39 14,373 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    So, why are all these rowers in their late twenties?

Workshy.
  • Deleted user 3 April 2010 15:52:37
    I want Clare "I'm such a dirty dyke" Balding to shout

RELEASE THE KRACKEN..........................................
  • jellyhead 3 Apr 2010 15:53:18 24,350 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    espibara wrote:
    Lukus wrote:
    I'm hoping for a fucking nuclear subamarine plus where is Zeus when you need him RELEASE THE KRACKEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I say let some rough necks from manchester fire mortar shells at the toffy bastards.

Nah, Chavs in Pedalos customised Ben Hur stylie, that'd liven things up a bit.

This signature intentionally left blank.

• Lukus 3 Apr 2010 15:55:00 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll make the same suggestion I did for the Winter Olympics: Issue every competitor with a paintball gun. Or maybe just the coxs... Perhaps a limited amount of ammo too. Maybe a couple of mines.

Paintings & Photographs

• Deleted user 3 April 2010 15:56:59
    I say place 500 fireworks on each boat and then the winners can enjoy some fireworks as the losers boat goes boom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Deleted user 3 April 2010 15:59:29
    Cant belive teh BBC are covering this..............................typical BBC elitist pompous London bullshit. Just like bloody BBC Breakfast in the morning bill stiff arse Turnbull and Ice maiden whatever her name is ........Sian something.
  • MrCarrot 3 Apr 2010 16:02:37 3,516 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm assuming either espibara is pissed or his telly is stuck on BBC1 and wont turn off.
  • Lukus 3 Apr 2010 16:03:53 19,050 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrCarrot wrote:
    I'm assuming either espibara is pissed or his telly is stuck on BBC1 and wont turn off.

:D

Paintings & Photographs

• Page

of 5 First / Last