Suit places in London

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Kay 29 Apr 2008 11:25:34 17,905 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've got a couple of weddings, as well as a few job interview shenanigans likely coming up in the summer, so I need to get myself a new suit. My current one is a bit... well, I hate wearing it, which is never a good thing really.

I was thinking of checking out a few places in London over the weekend. I obviously want something that's quality and looks good, but I'm not exactly made of money. Around 250-300 absolute max... so that rules out all the Savile Row stuff. Burtons had a decent one that fitted well last time I checked, but, well, I'd rather not buy a suit from Burtons really. That would be the last resort.

Ideally it has to be a personal fitting too, as off-the-peg stuff very rarely looks good on me. Aquascutum seem decent from what I've read, I might pop in there. But they also look like they might be a bit too expensive. Any other places anyone can recommend in London (avoiding the usual department stores and supermarkets)? I'm not really a suit person, as you can probably gather.

Cheers.

K
  • LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2008 11:59:49 44,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    For that price I'd say Selfridges, or even House of Fraser. Deos the job innit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Deleted user 29 April 2008 12:00:45
    Off-topic, but Aquascutum have the worst name ever.

I see it, I think "sputum".
  • smoothpete 29 Apr 2008 12:02:13 31,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cheap is fine if it fits well and you don't look like you work in Dixons or something, as is often the case with cheap suits. My 100 burtons one looks great on me. Or I look great it in. Or I'm just brilliant. One of those things.
  • deem 29 Apr 2008 12:02:19 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Selfridges.

• Huntcjna 29 Apr 2008 12:02:53 13,877 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    This is going to sound mad but go to M&S and ask to see the Saville Row Bespoke range. I bought one from them last month and it was absolutely bang on and cost me 230 all in.
  • LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2008 12:04:30 44,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Theres' a really hot girl you keeps wandering past my desk. She's very pretty and there's a kind of strange maudlin melancholy in the knowledge that I'll never, ever shag her.

Aquascrotum tend to fall apart, but the three piece suits look quite nice.

• smoothpete 29 Apr 2008 12:08:46 31,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I got a Ted Baker suit, nice cut but it went shiny far too quickly. Bit overpriced IMO
  • smoothpete 29 Apr 2008 12:12:43 31,534 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've never known Suits You to not have a sale on :)
  • DJCopa 29 Apr 2008 12:13:52 1,057 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just got my suit made by Knight & Allen. They do the whole 'bespoke' thing, but for under 300 (unless you get added extras like waist coat,etc.). Do a google search, and you'll get all the info.
    They are cheaper than other Bespke tailors, as you can visit them at hotels,etc. so they are not paying the full london rent.
    Chuffed to nuts with mine for my wedding!
  • _Price_ 29 Apr 2008 12:14:44 3,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If you get totally stuck any of the really big Debenhams stores can be good. They tend to have serious-looking staff (a la That Mitchell & Webb Look rather than The Fast Show) around to give you advice and the stock can take up huge swathes of some stores. I don't live in London so wouldn't know, but I'd assume that there'll be at least one with a big gentleman's department there.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Apr 2008 12:14:51 8,132 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My last suit was from M&S.
  • Kay 29 Apr 2008 12:21:51 17,905 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Maybe I'm being a bit snobbish here, but Selfridges? M&S? Or have they really improved over the years?

Are there any particular stores where I can go in and make a fuss, get someone to measure up and sort something nice out for me?

K
  • deem 29 Apr 2008 12:24:27 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Maybe I'm being a bit snobbish here, but Selfridges? M&S? Or have they really improved over the years?

o_O

Do you know what Selfridges is?

• _Price_ 29 Apr 2008 12:25:01 3,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Are there any particular stores where I can go in and make a fuss, get someone to measure up and sort something nice out for me?

Ah, so you want that sort of shop....
  • Kay 29 Apr 2008 12:29:09 17,905 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    deem wrote:
    Kay wrote:

o_O

Do you know what Selfridges is?

Erm... a department store?

I know what you mean, I just prefer places that do tailoring. I just wasn't aware that Selfridges and the like did that sort of thing.

K
  • ram 29 Apr 2008 12:32:04 3,482 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Go to Liberty. It's a department store but they do bespoke tailoring.

On Grt Marlborough St.

Posh n' Pricey
  • Ginger 29 Apr 2008 12:32:46 6,849 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sounds like you want bespoke for the price of an off the peg solution. If you can wait, try out these guys http://www.raja-fashions.com/

I had to go back for a second fitting because the jacket was far too big, and all told it took about 2 months to get the suit, but it's good nick

London open taekwondo champion

• GingerMagician 29 Apr 2008 12:32:48 3,012 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You'll struggle for proper tailoring at the 250-300 level.

TM Lewin is worth a look, but the range of cloth they use there seems prtty limited whenever I've been in. Always have offers/specials on though.
  • Kay 29 Apr 2008 12:34:04 17,905 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Doesn't have to be proper bespoke tailoring - just somewhere that's willing to do a few adjustments to ensure the perfect fit.

K
  • The_Aardvark 29 Apr 2008 12:41:45 3,063 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ginger wrote:
    sounds like you want bespoke for the price of an off the peg solution. If you can wait, try out these guys http://www.raja-fashions.com/

I had to go back for a second fitting because the jacket was far too big, and all told it took about 2 months to get the suit, but it's good nick

That was going to be my suggestion as well.

I've got a lovely light grey suit from Raja.
  • deem 29 Apr 2008 12:44:19 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Doesn't have to be proper bespoke tailoring - just somewhere that's willing to do a few adjustments to ensure the perfect fit.

K

Pretty much anywhere other than Argos surely?
  • Kay 29 Apr 2008 12:51:26 17,905 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Like I said, I'm not exactly really a suit person. :)

Can't wait two months for the suit, got a wedding in three weeks. So Raja are out of the question.

Selfridges are good then? I'll check them out. Best to go to the big Central London stores I'm guessing. I'll also check out Debenhams, Liberty and Knight & Allen. Cheers for all the suggestions.

K
  • Deleted user 29 April 2008 12:57:08
    Sounds like you're describing Copperfields in Moorgate beside TM Lewin. Large selection (they only do suits), good advice on fit and cut and any adjustments will be done by onsite tailor.

I got a quality suit recently for 350 that I'm very happy with - 2nd pair of trousers incl! Check their charges for alterations before you commit -- I was ok, only had to have the trouser length adjusted but still cost 20 extra.
  • Tonka 29 Apr 2008 13:02:41 20,564 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know you will hate me for this but I had a suit tailor made for a mere 29 last time I was in China. It was so cheap that I made two.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2008 14:08:07 44,416 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GingerMagician wrote:
    You'll struggle for proper tailoring at the 250-300 level.

TM Lewin is worth a look, but the range of cloth they use there seems prtty limited whenever I've been in. Always have offers/specials on though.

TM Lewin are the Officer's Club of the City. Hawes and Curtis is where you want to be.

Jaeger do awesome Italian cut suits as well.

• Charlie_Miso 6 May 2008 01:47:18 1,191 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just make sure it's not 3-buttoned!
  • gang_of_bitches 6 May 2008 09:27:15 5,623 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    Selfridges and Liberty's are wonderful, but they sell designer not no-name suits, and you will never get one at your prices.

You are looking at 500 + really. At that price you can go to Sartorani (sp?) on Saville, they've been running a '500 suit' deal for a while.

Or fly to Hong Kong, the last place on the planet where you can get high quality cheap suits.

I got my suit made in Hong Kong, at Sam's Tailors.

Top notch suit, spare pair of trousers, blazer and 3 shirts all for 250. Money very well spent.
  • deem 6 May 2008 09:30:51 31,641 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Caspar_Esq. wrote:
    Selfridges and Liberty's are wonderful, but they sell designer not no-name suits, and you will never get one at your prices.

I got my Best Mans suit from Aquascutum at Selfridges half price for 250.

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous