Firefox - wtf Page 2

• Page

of 5 First / Last

• thehat 24 Apr 2008 10:19:14 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yes it is, but if you're using javascript to reload the page because the content has changed then it's a pain. It's a bit of a rare problem, but the site I've working on this week has given me several opera woes.

More the fault of the site than the browser to be fair; tables, iframes and no reloading of the parent page make for a crappy website.
  • Dirtbox 24 Apr 2008 10:26:56 77,744 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    /waits for blizeh's reasoning

I'm only trying to help here btw.

Dismissing something out of hand means you're a robot or your information is out of date or flawed. I find it difficult to believe that blize can work out enough by himself to be able to say anything with any authority.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• THFourteen 24 Apr 2008 10:28:55 33,226 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i'm getting this issue too.

gone back to internet explorer for the time being.
  • Aretak 24 Apr 2008 10:38:18 10,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    Incidently, your whine about GreaseMonkey is void becase Opera can run GM scripts natively.
    It doesn't run most GreaseMonkey scripts properly though. They actually need to be written with Opera in mind as well if they're going to do the job for both. Otherwise they end up either partially broken or just not working at all.
  • Dirtbox 24 Apr 2008 10:39:57 77,744 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's a java script that goes a long way to fixing that here.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Aretak 24 Apr 2008 10:50:50 10,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    There's a java script that goes a long way to fixing that here.
    Hmm... tried it with a couple of scripts that didn't work before. Still no dice.
  • sailesh 24 Apr 2008 11:02:07 591 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's fine on the PC at work but at home on my iMac it gets weird with the Enter key, I have to resort to pressing Shift + Enter to make it work and then after that it just stops working for me until I close it at the dock and then open it again. It's quite annoying.

Safari ftw... maybe. /loves firebug too much tho ;_;

Work http://www.sailesh-online.com | Play http://saileshcreates.tumblr.com

• mrharvest 24 Apr 2008 11:16:57 5,194 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Interesting. I've noticed that FF3 on Os X pretty much halved memory usage compared to earlier versions and is much quicker too. And seems to me they fixed some of the random memory leaks too.
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 19:52:45 49,314 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just looking at Activity Monitor now:

Firefox 3 with six tabs open including youtube and a quicktime movie, the session has been up for a couple of hours: CPU 10%, memory 220mb real, 1.2gb virtual.

Safari 3 with one tab in a new session: 65% CPU, 110mb real, 1.3gb virtual.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• Xerx3s 24 Apr 2008 20:38:34 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah but how much does safari resource usage increase after so much time? IE i.e. is pretty much steady on it's usage, no matter how long you run it.

Still, a browser that uses 220mb has some serious flaws in it. It's not like we are running something like avid here.
  • HiddenPooh 24 Apr 2008 20:40:50 1,427 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Safari on my Imac has not been closed for more than 3 weeks.
    Currently running 1.4% cpu and Safari is using 68mb
  • cubbymoore 18 May 2008 17:40:02 36,488 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, I just checked the ram usage of firefox as it was slowing down a bit. 1.5gb ram usage?????

That's insane.
  • Xerx3s 18 May 2008 17:58:46 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    THIS IS FIREFOX!!!
  • Xerx3s 18 May 2008 20:12:50 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You haven't read the thread then? I'm using the 'new' ff and it's even more resource consuming and buggier than the old one.
  • NBZ 18 May 2008 20:20:42 2,371 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you activated unported addons or anything?

For me Firefox 3 uses a lot less memory and is much faster than ff2 (on Vista).

Not comparing to IE7 as it is horrible. I prefer a more traditional interface like IE6.
  • Fatfish 18 May 2008 21:28:15 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm about to uninstall FF to see if it will resolve a persistent shutdown error I'm getting. At one stage, every time I shut my laptop down, it would begin to go through the motions and then flash up a blue error screen before instantly rebooting.

However, instead of just rebooting to Windows, it gives a blue screen with an error message about inconsistencies with the HDD and that it's advisable to run a repair. This can take anything from 5-10 minutes while all the files and folders are truncated. Every file and/or folder listed is related to FF, and toward the end of the list, it stops truncating/moving the files as it's run out of memory (I've only got 1Gb RAM).

I found that by setting FF to clear all history, cache and cookies whenever I close it down, it stopped the error from occuring for several weeks - however, it's become persistent again even when clearing everything before closing. It's really pissing me off now.

Whenever this error occurs and the repair is carried out, FF appears to revert back to a fresh install - all bookmarks deleted, no history details and when the browser is opened, I'm greeted by the 'Welcome to FF' page rather than my homepage.

I rarely use the laptop without running FF, so I'm not sure if it's just FF causing this problem, or whether it's a fault with my HDD. I'm going to unistall FF and just run IE (which I hate!) for a while and see if the problem is resolved.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone, or any ideas what could be causing it? Any help or suggestions would be great.

If the problem stops after unistalling, I'll try a fresh install and see if it happens again.

If I unistall FF using add/remove programs, would I need to delete anything from the registry key, or is that done automatically?
  • tenofspades 18 May 2008 21:35:26 1,693 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    oh wow not just me then. I've got a feeling it might be stuff like Adblock plus or something, or Noscript extensions.
  • Fatfish 18 May 2008 22:07:00 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are you refering to my issue in particular, or just the thread topic?

If you are having the same issue as me, I'd be interested to know if there's anything you've found to help resolve/minimise it?
  • Xerx3s 18 May 2008 22:15:35 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    NBZ wrote:
    Have you activated unported addons or anything?

For me Firefox 3 uses a lot less memory and is much faster than ff2 (on Vista).

Not comparing to IE7 as it is horrible. I prefer a more traditional interface like IE6.

Tried IE7 pro? It's the latest stable build of FF3 anyway. It begins at 70 mb and goes up from there. Seriously though, you know that you are doing something wrong when you use more memory in a blanc screen than the latest edition of photoshop.
    Ah but then, os has always been a bit of a stickytape project thing.
  • Aretak 18 May 2008 22:17:57 10,351 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Firefox 3 is so, so much faster than the current "stable" release (which in fact crashes more for me than Beta 5). Extension support is limited at the moment, but you can change some settings to get non-supported extensions to install. It's so good that it's actually usurped Opera for me, which I'd been using for about two years straight.
  • Deleted user 18 May 2008 22:19:35
    God help us if Dirtbox notices this thread again. Some of his posts are cringe worthy.
  • Xerx3s 18 May 2008 22:24:27 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Aretak wrote:
    Firefox 3 is so, so much faster than the current "stable" release (which in fact crashes more for me than Beta 5). Extension support is limited at the moment, but you can change some settings to get non-supported extensions to install. It's so good that it's actually usurped Opera for me, which I'd been using for about two years straight.

I'm running RC1. FF2 used up 50 mb, ff3 uses 70mb and usually around 200-300mb. I don't see the improvements (it certainly isn't speed as it's beaten by almost every browser I use to test my stuff).
  • tenofspades 18 May 2008 23:03:33 1,693 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Are you refering to my issue in particular, or just the thread topic?

If you are having the same issue as me, I'd be interested to know if there's anything you've found to help resolve/minimise it?
    just the thread topic sorry, but its weird how you are getting a blue screen from Firefox? Does it happen with anything else, and does your hard-drive make much noise out of curiosity?
  • Fatfish 18 May 2008 23:10:10 3,377 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, my HDD appears to be working ok as far as I can tell - no other issues with it and no strange sounds. As I said above though, it is possible it's a HDD fault.

It appears to only be FF that it has a problem with, but I've not used any other browsers and I always use the web when I switch my laptop on. So if anything else is causing an issue, its hard to tell until I stop using FF. I'll put a comment up with my findings once I've seen what it's like running without FF.
  • urban 18 May 2008 23:11:53 10,942 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm using firefox 3.0 RC and its definitely an improvement, 2 just had a shaky life is all
  • postal 20 May 2008 14:14:01 104 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    hmmm...5 tabs open, been browsing for 'bout an hour or so. memory footprint is 55Mb, CPU idle. FF2 even.

:/
  • Psychotext 20 May 2008 14:17:34 53,982 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oddly enough Firefox stopped crashing a couple of weeks back. I didn't run any updates and I didn't notice any plugins change either... but it went from crashing every time I used or closed it to not at all.

/touches wood
  • magicpanda 20 May 2008 14:19:00 13,343 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    mowgli wrote:
    God help us if Dirtbox notices this thread again. Some of his posts are cringe worthy.

/activates the IRONOMAN signal
  • Page

of 5 First / Last