Firefox - wtf

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous
  • BartonFink 24 Apr 2008 02:41:19 34,999 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    What the hell is going on with firefox lately

Leave it on for an hour or three and the stupid thing becomes unresponsive and takes an age to load pages.

Shut it down and it's back to normal.

This is only since the last update.

FFS I am considering going back to IE :(
  • Super_Zee 24 Apr 2008 02:56:23 2,110 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Good, it's not my iBook dying then. Excellent.
  • Psychotext 24 Apr 2008 03:04:55 54,391 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not what you describe, but for some reason Firefox is crashing all the time for me. Strangely when I close it mostly.
  • BartonFink 24 Apr 2008 03:07:36 34,999 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Getting a bit of that too - becomes unresponsive and have to kill off he process. Dunno what they did in the last update but it sucks.
  • Bloodloss 24 Apr 2008 03:11:35 4,499 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm just going to pre-emptively recommend Opera, before Dirtbox sees this thread. Definitely worth switching to that instead of IE.
  • JayeM 24 Apr 2008 03:18:36 3,386 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not a problem here, very strange.
  • yegon 24 Apr 2008 03:30:23 5,330 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Crashed 3 times yesterday on my Macbook. Been fine for months prior to that.
  • unsung_hero 24 Apr 2008 03:44:24 939 posts
    Seen 6 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Opera.
  • aine 24 Apr 2008 03:55:05 718 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    might be flash, that caused similar problems for me (thanks to the proliferation of flash ads on, er, certain sites) - it'd often cause the browser to become unresponsive if i had multiple flash-containing pages open at once or just left it running for a while.

could try flashblock or something, see if that makes any difference... although if you've only been experiencing this problem since the latest firefox update, i suppose it probably isn't flash at all! so i just wasted my time. ahem. carry on!
  • Gland 24 Apr 2008 06:37:12 78,440 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    unsung_hero wrote:
    Opera.
    There is *nothing* FF can do that Opera can't do faster.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• Aretak 24 Apr 2008 07:21:47 10,366 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    unsung_hero wrote:
    Opera.
    It always manages to piss me off faster when I use it.
  • Mashum 24 Apr 2008 07:25:45 154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago

In my experience Firefox will eat up more and more memory as it runs. I have to shut mine down every few days and then restart it, at least on the old laptop in the living room.

You can always try keeping an eye on it in task manager, I'm not sure how reliable the stats are there but it might give you an idea if FF is using allot of memory or CPU resource.
  • Xerx3s 24 Apr 2008 07:37:43 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Firefox has become a resource eating, slowpoke mofo. The FF3 beta really looks discouraging as FF seems to take up more than double the needed memory from IE7 and explorer combined.

Sometimes I really wonder why I stil bother with FF. It's advantages are gone and it's disadvantages keep growing.
  • JammyB 24 Apr 2008 07:39:11 756 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Are you running a lot of extensions? I've heard a lot of people say that this is usually the cause of such problems.
  • thehat 24 Apr 2008 07:54:58 1,833 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dirtbox wrote:
    unsung_hero wrote:
    Opera.
    How about accepting ExternalInterface calls from flash while wmode is set to transparent? It bloody well doesn't do that at all. It ignores javascript's reload function too, just redisplays from its local cache rather than actually reloading.

/kicks opera
  • BartonFink 24 Apr 2008 08:22:03 34,999 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yea Opera pissed me off no end years ago - enough to make me never use it again.

@blizeH it's about bloody time they sorted the memory out it's currently a complete resource hog.
  • SlackMaster 24 Apr 2008 08:25:43 3,134 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I've been getting problems with FF over the past few months. Have to restart it often as it'll become very slow and unresponsive.

Might look into other alternatives as I'm not keen on IE7 due to design and security, plus that was just about as bad as FF for bugs etc.
  • catterz 24 Apr 2008 08:26:19 8,763 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you can't code websites that are Opera compatible without dumbing them down then you're an amateur.

/goes back to sleep

Still stalking this place, old-school style (UID: 1053)

• Xerx3s 24 Apr 2008 08:28:23 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote: There is *nothing* FF can do that Opera can't do faster.
    This is not even close to being true, unfortunately.

Regarding Firefox 3, where did you hear that Xerx3s? There have been some benchmarks showing that Firefox 3 completely kills previous Firefox versions, as well as most other browsers in the memory stakes.

I've been running FFb3 for several months now. It's not what I 'heard', it's what I see. When IE7 does a page and only takes up 17mb while FFb3 takes 92mb, you can have all the benchmarks in the world but it's still a resource hogging mofo.
    If anything, FFb3 is using more memory than FF2 (which usually only uses about 70mb).

It's also fucking slow, IE7 & opera load most pages twice as fast. Not even mentioning streaming. Sometimes it takes hours to stream something while IE7 starts playing in a couple of seconds. If that isn't a massive memory leak...
  • otto Moderator 24 Apr 2008 08:31:34 49,320 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's becoming increasingly clear that I've been running a secret build of Firefox these last few years which only I have access to, and everyone else is using some crappy buggy leaky bloated imposter. It's the only way to explain it.

say no to Eurogamer sigs

• crashVoodoo 24 Apr 2008 08:35:31 3,962 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    i'd been having the 'hanging' problem with ff not too long ago. i thought it was the router at first but everything else was working.

i disabled every extension that i'd installed and ran it for a day and it still did it. i paused or disabled everything in the system-tray and other memory resident crap to see if there was a conflict and it started working great.

slowly i enabled bits and pieces over the course of a few days to see where it fell over. turned out it was spybot. i disabled that and i've not had a problem since.

ff gets priority over the resident spybot i'm afraid.

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• Xerx3s 24 Apr 2008 08:39:36 23,944 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You have spybot actively running? 0_o

/hasn't used a virus scanner, firewall, etc. in 6 years and has never had problems since
  • allywidd 24 Apr 2008 08:39:59 62 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Morning all, as a web dev i got ff open all day no probs for me, Firefox 3 beta is crap as gives us the same problems as safari. but then again id rather use ff than ie7 or 8.
  • ecu 24 Apr 2008 08:41:48 77,018 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I have firefox open all day too, it's completely fine. I never have any problems with it. It uses a lot of memory, but currently that's not a problem for me.
  • BartonFink 24 Apr 2008 08:44:49 34,999 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FF usually runs at around 70mb and IE around 45mb. However the main difference is FF climbs and climbs and climbs with every page you load. There is a huge memory leak in there somewhere.

It's climbed from 75 to 90 in the past couple of page loads and it ain't releasing the memory. Shoddy.
  • chopsen 24 Apr 2008 09:33:12 16,125 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think firefox is a bit like windows - the longer it runs, the longer it's been installed, and the more stuff you install for it, the more likely it is to fall over its shoelaces.

Opera is a much slicker app, but website compatibility and certain functions mean FF remains my main browser. I use opera on a lower spec laptop at home.
  • Gland 24 Apr 2008 10:06:14 78,440 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote: There is *nothing* FF can do that Opera can't do faster.
    This is not even close to being true, unfortunately.
    Prove it.

Incidently, your whine about GreaseMonkey is void becase Opera can run GM scripts natively.

• Gland 24 Apr 2008 10:07:30 78,440 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BartonFink wrote:
    Yea Opera pissed me off no end years ago - enough to make me never use it again.

@blizeH it's about bloody time they sorted the memory out it's currently a complete resource hog.
    It's come on a bit since then.

It's a hands down FF/IE killer now.

• Gland 24 Apr 2008 10:13:19 78,440 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    thehat wrote:
    Dirtbox wrote:
    unsung_hero wrote:
    Opera.
    How about accepting ExternalInterface calls from flash while wmode is set to transparent? It bloody well doesn't do that at all. It ignores javascript's reload function too, just redisplays from its local cache rather than actually reloading.

/kicks opera
    That's a setting, personally I prefer it going to cache because it's infinately faster.

• Page

of 5 First / Last

Previous