Previous
  • Davey 21 Apr 2008 16:29:30 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bastard police man and his radar gun! :(
  • lost_soul 21 Apr 2008 16:32:57 9,369 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think you'll find much sympathy here...
  • Optyk 21 Apr 2008 16:33:17 1,316 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Then don't speed. Speed limits aren't a hard concept to understand.

Shooting ducks in a barrel.

• pjmaybe 21 Apr 2008 16:34:04 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    /wants a radar gun
  • S.J.Rogers 21 Apr 2008 16:34:19 3,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Davey wrote:

How fast and what was the limit..?
  • LeoliansBro 21 Apr 2008 16:34:22 44,956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But banks are fair game for excess charges you agreed to when opening the account...?

/flees

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Davey 21 Apr 2008 16:35:03 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Everyone does it fs, you can honestly say you've never sped??

Obviously i'm not proud of it, by the way.
  • monkeymagic 21 Apr 2008 16:35:19 274 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Optyk wrote:

+1. Wrong place for sympathy manno, this place still is generally populated by people with their heads screwed on... No really.
  • smugla 21 Apr 2008 16:35:21 2,134 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    too much MARIO KART lol
  • Davey 21 Apr 2008 16:36:13 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    Davey wrote:

I was overtaking a bus, and the police car was parked in a bus stop, the bus blocked my view of him so I didnt see him till it was too late :(

It was 56 in a 40 :/
  • _Price_ 21 Apr 2008 16:37:35 3,072 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Davey wrote:
    S.J.Rogers wrote:
    Davey wrote:

I was overtaking a bus, and the police car was parked in a bus stop, the bus blocked my view of him so I didnt see him till it was too late :(

It was 56 in a 40 :/

I'd just be glad it was the only thing I 'didn't see until it was to late'....
  • pjmaybe 21 Apr 2008 16:38:25 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You got dun fair and square cocker, take yer points and yer lumps.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Apr 2008 16:39:12 13,320 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I feel sympathetic because I got caught and it was a horrible experience. It was my own fault though, and I'm a better, more careful driver now as a result.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• tomb85 21 Apr 2008 16:39:17 204 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Easily done. I'd come out of a 40 into a 30 (the sign nicely hidden behind some overgrown hedge) and merrily drove up to the radar-toting copper at 39.

Happily accept I'd cocked up but the condescending tone I got from the guy (who seemed still in his teens) really grated at the time.

Him "Are you aware there's a school down this road sir? A child could step out at any minute"

It was 12.30 at night.....
  • Davey 21 Apr 2008 16:40:06 594 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I accept it, just pissed off with myself...

Like to point out that I wasn't driving dangerously, was a long straight road away from houses etc.
  • monkeymagic 21 Apr 2008 16:42:42 274 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Talk to Frank
  • Scurrminator 21 Apr 2008 16:43:39 8,466 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    i got pulled over by an unmarked car a few years ago.
    Was doing 80 in a 50 zone :-(
    Yeah i know, bad bad bad. It was a dual carraigeway however and empty.
    It did shit me up though and i no longer speed anywhere.
    The officer only booked me for speeding 'up to 30 miles over the limit' which is your standard 3 points and sixty quid fine, over 30 miles over the limit and it's six points and maybe a ban.

You dare to strike Scurrcules!?

• Fatfish 21 Apr 2008 18:32:15 3,377 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If it's any consolation (which it probably isn't as I didn't get stopped!), I was just doing a comfortable 90 down the M5 on the way back to Exeter. I could see a police car some way off in the distance but it was far enough away, so I just carried on cruising.

About 3/4 mile down the road, I suddenly noticed another police car pull out from behind me to overtake - I was still doing 90. To add insult to injury, a second one immediately pulled out from behind me and overtook me as well. I sheepishly slipped it in to 5th, eased up on the accelerator and pulled in to the inside lane.

Where they came from I have no idea - I'm normally really good at checking my mirrors as I don't have a rear view out of the back of the van, but I never saw either of them once. I had wondered why all the traffic behind me had dropped back - I don't know how long they were riding my slipstream for.

As soon as they were far enough away I picked up the pace and followed them all the way back to Exeter. I got back up to 90 and still never managed to catch them up, so they must have been doing around the same speed as well. No lights or siren though - just heading back to the station for tea I guess.
  • spindizzy 21 Apr 2008 18:36:01 6,610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I routinely speed on the motorway (never in towns where someone might run out) and anyone who seriously thinks that this is morally wrong can kiss my rapidly receding butt. ;-P

/Loves the autobahn
  • Feanor 21 Apr 2008 18:36:59 14,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Davey wrote:

Aren't you worried someone who had a loved one killed by a speeding driver is going to post in here and make you look like what you are?
  • MrSensible 21 Apr 2008 18:43:07 25,368 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    monkeymagic wrote:
    Optyk wrote:

+1. Wrong place for sympathy manno, this place still is generally populated by people with their heads screwed on... No really.

+1, no excuses.
  • Feanor 21 Apr 2008 18:49:17 14,185 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Halo_3-Liverpool_0 wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    Davey wrote:

Aren't you worried someone who had a loved one killed by a speeding driver is going to post in here and make you look like what you are?

What? Normal? Did he kill anyone?

Not yet. Hopefully if he does, it'll be another speeder who thinks the laws don't apply to them.
  • spindizzy 21 Apr 2008 19:28:43 6,610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    Halo_3-Liverpool_0 wrote:
    Feanor wrote:
    Davey wrote:

What? Normal? Did he kill anyone?

Not yet. Hopefully if he does, it'll be another speeder who thinks the laws don't apply to them.

That's right, because all laws make perfect sense, and all people who speed are endangering lives and deserve to die. Idiot.
  • Dirtbox 21 Apr 2008 19:31:42 79,202 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd speed if I could. Sadly my car is made from 67% WW2 ammo silo.

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• King_Cnut 21 Apr 2008 19:33:14 615 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Scurrminator wrote:
    i got pulled over by an unmarked car a few years ago.
    Was doing 80 in a 50 zone :-(
    Yeah i know, bad bad bad. It was a dual carraigeway however and empty.
    It did shit me up though and i no longer speed anywhere.
    The officer only booked me for speeding 'up to 30 miles over the limit' which is your standard 3 points and sixty quid fine, over 30 miles over the limit and it's six points and maybe a ban.

Same here, but I was on my R1 doing 90 in a 30.

Before someone kicks off, it was in an empty road tunnel that just had a thirty limit because it was a tunnel. Nice bike cop let me off with the same as you.
  • Retroid Moderator 21 Apr 2008 19:41:05 45,310 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If only there were set speed limits indicated on roadsigns and some sort of indicator in the car so you could check you weren't exceeding it....!
  • Salaman 21 Apr 2008 19:43:55 19,603 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why are people so desperately apologetic for driving a tad bit over the speed limit? I'm usually about 5 mph above.

Every time someone mentions speeding on this forum everyone is a saint and condemns it. When I go out on the road though, doing 5 over sometimes makes me seem like I'm standing still whilst everyone zips off into the distance.

Either this forum is populated by a small group of people that actually stick to the speed limit or by a lot of hypocrites who are tutting because they feel it's what's expected of them.
  • HiddenPooh 21 Apr 2008 19:44:20 1,427 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Retroid wrote:
    If only there were set speed limits indicated on roadsigns and some sort of indicator in the car so you could check you weren't exceeding it....!

but we don't need them. Common sense dictates the occasional look at your speedo and easing off a bit if you're too far over. No copper is going to do you for being 6-7mph over the limit. That's not what they are after.

The OP admitted that his speed and actions at the time prevented him from seeing something at the roadside until it was too late. Does not take too much imagination to replace that copper with a small child does it?
  • spindizzy 21 Apr 2008 19:47:27 6,610 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I sort of agree (which is why I don't speed in town) but let be honest: a kid could jump out from in front of a bus, and you'd still kill/seriously hurt them if you were going 30. Obviously the faster you go the worse it is, and the less time you have to react, but it's not like the speed limit is some magical they'll-be-fine-now number.

• Inquisitor Moderator 21 Apr 2008 19:50:30 14,559 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I always, always stick to the speed limit in built up areas, but out on the roads it's about careful driving not slow driving.

You'll often find me speeding on the motorway or country roads, nothing wrong with that at all.

On the country roads granted you have to make sure you slow down for corners and such like, you don't want to take a blind corner into a horses arse.

The drivers I hate the most are those that go along at 45 ish in an unrestricted zone then carry on at 45 through a village. What utter twats.
  • Page

of 3 First / Last

Previous