Grand Theft Auto V Page 48

• Page

of 320 First / Last

• Deleted user 26 December 2012 05:31:22
    Agreed about SA. I just love the sheer scope and variety of that game. And soundtrack.

I wanted to love GTA4, and the graphics are stunning and immersive, but it's just not as fun, or varied, or compelling to play. SA just has a bit more soul and raw fun factor. GTA4 felt perhaps a bit too grown up for a GTA game.

I hope GTA 5 is a return to form.
  • DUFFMAN5 26 Dec 2012 09:47:41 14,682 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Agreed about SA. I just love the sheer scope and variety of that game. And soundtrack.

I wanted to love GTA4, and the graphics are stunning and immersive, but it's just not as fun, or varied, or compelling to play. SA just has a bit more soul and raw fun factor. GTA4 felt perhaps a bit too grown up for a GTA game.

I hope GTA 5 is a return to form.
    Did you play TBoGT ? ir really captures the "fun" GTA vibe, well worth playing. I also thought the other DLC was great as well.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Ryze 26 Dec 2012 20:02:14 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Agreed.

TBoGT really addressed peoples' criticisms of GTA IV. It's a shame that the 360 exclusivity, the sheer amount of time spent developing it and its predecessor episode, plus the lack of retail visibility and marketing of DLC content generally, all combined to cut down the audience to a fraction of the original game's.

What a waste, really! I loved it, but the online modes remain barren on the 360. Needs addressing in terms of GTA's online structure, menus, etc, and in terms of how XBL manages getting interested people together to play less popular online games. I've posted a few suggestions in the 'Xbox 720' or equivalent thread probably 6 months or more ago.

I do hope that GTA IV's reputation regarding the phone annoyances, control response, and dreary serious tone doesn't overly tarnish GTA V's reception. Comparing III to Vice City and San Andreas - despite the core gameplay being largely the same, they're completely different worlds. There's SO much evolution by the time SA came along. Just check out the on -foot controls on PS2 SA compared to VC and III.

That's where we are now with the 360. TBoGT was this gen's Vice City in terms of evolution (except not nearly as appealing as the 'Scarface' story, Mr. Liotta, soundtrack, era and setting).

V already has shown signs of great evolution in terms of additional features, settings and environments. I only hope that the online game is fully fleshed out, that the vehicle handling is tweaked for the haters, and that ESPECIALLY the control response is addressed. It really felt like walking through treacle compared to the swift and responsive 'III' series of games.

One step forward with the improved cover system, targeting and save system, but a step back in terms of control response.

Regardless, it's another 'day one' for me. The plus points by far outweigh the negatives on balance at this stage. I do hope and expect to be surprised and impressed by what I see come release time.

Luckily, Rockstar are masters of presentation, and will, as usual have a massive marketing budget along with those fantastic trailers to watch.

The trailers truly make me wish that there was an online-based spectator mode, where I could watch other people play the game on 360, but optionally from my PC in full quality using a cinematic camera. I'd find it a fantastic way of spending time, rather than some of the tripe on TV these days. I wonder if they've drafted in any serious scriptwriters to really push the quality of the story this time? I can't wait to see what they've come up with.

I'll have a quick Google, but, is there a confirmed release date or month yet? For some reason, March just popped into my head, as did VG247. Google Ryze is obviously online and automated. Maybe I read something over the past few days, while drunk! Perhaps not... I guess we can guess based on the sales of R* games during the current financial year, whether they'll try to get it out before April or not...

/investigates...

Whaddya know - another massive post!

Edited by Ryze at 20:46:29 26-12-2012
  • Deleted user 26 December 2012 20:28:31
    Actually no I haven't played TBoGT, but I'll check it out now, so thanks :)
  • Deleted user 26 December 2012 20:28:42
    Post deleted
  • Ryze 26 Dec 2012 20:48:39 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very worthwhile.

Not sure if you've seen much of Omid Djalili, but he plays a blinder as Yusuf Amir.

Trailer will appear just below... shortly...

Edited by Ryze at 20:52:00 26-12-2012
  • Spong 26 Dec 2012 22:00:34 525 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    rumblesushi wrote:
    Actually no I haven't played TBoGT, but I'll check it out now, so thanks :)
    Be sure to. Ballad is what the rest of GTAIV should've been. The main game suddenly started taking itself way too seriously, Ballad addressed that. It's bat shit crazy, the way GTA should be.
  • Madder-Max 26 Dec 2012 22:43:04 11,650 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't thinkballad addressed this at all. There were a few tacked on things to do but the city is still the same boring place outside of the missions

99 problems and being ginger is one

• Ryze 27 Dec 2012 00:58:21 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Madder-Max wrote:
    I don't thinkballad addressed this at all. There were a few tacked on things to do but the city is still the same boring place outside of the missions

As opposed to the excitement of III's Liberty City?

There's loads to do, that's brand new outside of the missions. Take a look at Fight Club, Base Jumping, Multi-vehicle races starting by jumping out of a damn helicopter into the best boat you can land in, Golf, Nightclub dancing and shagging girls, Bouncer work, drug missions with the dealer mates...

In addition, the dreary graphics filter from the previous two 'IV' games is GONE, and everything is clean and much smoother since it was the latest version of the game.

Plenty of the game's set around Liberty City's nightlife, and there's a lot more of the bright lights and 'neon' of the club scene - the other IV storylines were designed to be depressing and grimy looking respectively. In addition, the way that TBoGT begins - during the bank heist is unmissable on its own!

Is it even expensive these days? I reckon the disc costs a pittance, and the DLC I'd expect would have been discounted ages ago.

Edited by Ryze at 21:20:24 30-12-2012
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Dec 2012 09:16:06 14,682 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ryze wrote:
    Madder-Max wrote:

As opposed to the excitement of III's Liberty City?

There's loads to do, that's brand new outside of the missions. Take a look at Fight Club, Base Jumping, Multi-vehicle races starting by jumping out of a damn helicopter into the best boat you can land in, Golf, Nightclub dancing and shagging girls, Bouncer work, drug missions with the dealer mates...

In addition, the dreary graphics filter from the previous two 'IV' games is GONE, and everything is clean and much smoother since it was the latest version of the game.

The games set around the night scene, and there's a lot more of the bright lights and 'neon' of the club scene - the other IV storylines were designed to by depressing and grimy looking respectively. In addition, the way that TBoGT begins - during the bank heist is unmissable on its own!

Is it even expensive these days? I reckon the disc costs a pittance, and the DLC I'd expect would have been discounted ages ago.
    I think you can get the stand alone games (which run without the GTA disc) for 10-12

@max TBoGT if a LOT more fun then GTA IV, although I enjoyed that as well, still would rate the 3d ones I have played and completed as:

Vice City
    GTA III
    Saints Row 2 ;) (great game, lots of manic fun and excellent MP modes)
    SA
    GTA IV
    VC stories
    Chinatown (on ds)
    LC stories

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• andyk 27 Dec 2012 13:53:41 169 posts
    Seen 7 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    On this list Chinatown wars is missing, which is a great standalone game and modern top down.

While tbogt is pretty bonkers in terms of missions the main character isn't particularly likeable and just cold. He is no cj.
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 17:57:12 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I reckon Chinatown Wars should have gotten an XBLA release.

I'll grab it when I eventually make my looooong overdue purchase of a DS.

I think I'm just afraid I'll play it way too much. I've avoided ALL MMOs for exactly the same reason.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 30 Dec 2012 18:45:16 9,825 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chinatown Wars was excellent. I prefer the old school top down GTA's to the newer ones.
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 19:55:46 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Heh - in fact, they could have turned the touch elements of the DS Chinatown wars into optional Kinect crap. That would have gone down with the Daily Mail crowd about as well as Manhunt 2!
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 21:31:53 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS

Yeah - GTA III and Vice City are crying out for a 1080p remake on the next consoles, with GTA V's control system included. I assume it'll be an improved version of GTA IV/Red Dead/Max Payne's.

I'd absolutely be interested in buying one of the next consoles earlier in order to play something like this.

Sony really ought to raid their PS1/2 back catalogue for full 1080p remakes to bulk out their PS4 launch lineup, whenever that happens. Wipeout 2097 would be special if it had 2048 and HD Fury's featureset and improved visuals, for example.

Regardless, to be able to revisit GTA III, but with decent aiming controls, and the PSP's LCS multiplayer mode expanded to include GTA IV and V's new features would be excellent.

Again, I'm assuming that there will be some quite special new multiplayer features in V. Even an improvement in the menus would be welcome, as being kicked back to the single player after a load of pissing around with loading pauses was never fun. I remember being seriously disappointed by that design flaw during the first days after the GTA IV launch, and it's still a joke having to load a game, then use the phone just to access the multiplayer menus. Silly. No wonder TBOGT and TLAD's multiplayer is barren as hell.

By the way, one of my great enduring gaming memories was playing a networked Grand Theft Auto back in 1998 onwards, on the PC. The network play was fantastic - like Micro Machines 2 on steroids.

Edited by Ryze at 23:06:39 30-12-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Dec 2012 21:42:57 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah Chinatown wars is easily better than a lot of the 3d games. The drug dealing mechanic pisses on the friendships in IV and the weight gain bobins in San Andreas.

It was meaningful because they tied it into the worlds economy. Most systems they introduced into the later 3D games are entirely arbitrary and ignorable.

Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 21:43:20 30-12-2012
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 22:43:31 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Most systems they introduced into the later 3D games are entirely arbitrary and ignorable.
    I'll definitely be playing Chinatown Wars. I think I played it for probably 5 mins on the PSP, but wanted the original experience rather than one with gimped or compromised controls, which was the general PSP experience in a nutshell.

As far as the systems such as weight gain, friendships etc - I reckon they were designed TO be ignorable. I don't think that they wanted to force the sidequests on the player.

I for one, ignored most of the friendships, and completely ignored the girlfriends in GTA SA once I realised that they were as awkward to please as the real world. All of this changing shape and physique, and having to work out what sort of food places they liked. Fucking chore from the real world! Fuck that annoying shit in my video games! I think one cheeky cow with an attitude had me leave that entire set of missions. Funnily enough - I'm single right now!

:D

I actually enjoyed the gym though, as the button bashing just reminded me of Track & Field, and there was a noticeable reward for the work done.

The GTA IV friends were annoyances, though - especially the cousin - but I think that was kind of the point. I completely ignored him 99% of the time, but started to feel cruel on the poor fella, as he reminded me of a guy that I've known for a long time. Once upon a time I'd have called him a mate, but he's a hard guy to get on with due to some of the crap he causes!

Edited by Ryze at 23:11:17 30-12-2012
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Dec 2012 22:50:50 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I thoroughly enjoyed the ds version but I think you're lucky to be playing the PSP version.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 30 Dec 2012 22:54:08 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Only just got that you intend to play the DS version; doh, reading fail. Thought the PSP version is supposed to be better?
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 22:59:44 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So.. Wii U version is 'under consideration':

I'm glad they've not delayed the game (hopefully) to cater for either this or a PC version (which would be Torrented at the expense of the 360/PS3 versions' sales), but I do hope that they consider them both in the 3-12 months following the main release. I hope the PC version comes after 3-6 months, and a 'Special Edition' Wii U version within 12 months, with a tonne of features such as:

- Touchscreen support for maps, options and hopefully other surprises, like the in game iPhone/Fruitphone, which will surely make an appearance, right? I'm pretty sure they'll do something with contemporary phone tech, as the game's involved significant use of phones since the 1997 original.

- Wii Remote Plus support for aiming

- Improved visuals over the 360/PS3 versions, but I wont hold my breath, as I don't think the hardware's up to the job without a significant recode of the engine to take advantage of the video hardware

- Other interesting stuff that I can't think of right now, but that I'll edit in when it jumps into my mind.

edit:

- Any DLC stuff that's added to the 360 version - bundled with the Wii U copy on to take advantage of those 25GB not-Blu-ray discs.

...or that weak CPU could be a complete and utter Achilles heel, and mean that they don't even bother trying to perform a port. I'm massively curious about the Wii U now, but also unwilling to spend any money on one due to the hardware spec balanced with the current price. My younger sister got one for Christmas though, so I've access to one.

I wonder if it will help Sony and MS to prolong the current gen? There are over 100 million 360/PS3s out there in 2013 onwards, and that's quite significant. Games are still selling. If the Wii U had all-round better performance than a 360, then I could see it being a no-brainer to just port everything across once the mainstream/casual lot start to jump in after it gets a Wii Sports / Wii Fit / Mario Kart / Zelda and the sales go mental.

Right now, it all looks cloudy. We'll have to wait and see what happens...

Edited by Ryze at 23:23:04 30-12-2012

Edited by Ryze at 23:31:57 30-12-2012
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 23:05:24 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @bitch_tits_zero_nine

Ah - I'd expect that the visuals on the PSP version are probably better due to the hardware, but it's not as though I'd expect anything's been redrawn.

I didn't have my own PSP copy, probably 2-3 years back. I was 'borrowing' it, so just loaded it up to take a quick look before 'returning' it. Looked interesting, but I'll eventually buy and play the original DS version in earnest, with the d-pad + touch.

It's in the queue, but I know that once I buy a DS, it'll eat time that I really need to use for other things right now :)
  • Ryze 30 Dec 2012 23:19:41 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @DarkSpaceDS

Well - my PSP and its disappointments were sold off a long time ago, so when I eventually grab a Vita (not likely in the short-term), then I'll check if it's available to download sans-Sonyfaff and ripoff pricing.

I had considered rebuying a cheap PSP to play my UMD collection, but it's on a back burner at the moment for the same reason I haven't grabbed a DS.

I'll see what happens over the next few months... I'm more interested in continuing my replay of San An on PC and 360 in HD, and finally finishing Vice city on the PC at the moment, TBH. I want to do them without cheating at all, but the targeting and save system makes it pretty infuriating at times.

I'm possibly going to replay TBoGT between now and V's release, just to check again what I enjoyed so much about it vs. IV, and also to check out some of the side missions I didn't finish or bother with.

Edited by Ryze at 23:28:21 30-12-2012
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2012 23:21:00 43,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really wouldn't wait for a Wii U version if you've got the option not to.

• Ryze 30 Dec 2012 23:23:53 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've completely misunderstood my post.
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2012 23:31:09 43,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No, I was making a separate point to anyone considering such a thing.

• Ryze 30 Dec 2012 23:39:16 3,124 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    'course you were.
  • Syrette 30 Dec 2012 23:43:08 43,477 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If you say so. The fact that I didn't address you directly should have made it obvious, but I guess not.

As you were...

• Page

of 320 First / Last