Grand Theft Auto V Page 45

• Page

of 318 First / Last

• kalel 15 Nov 2012 14:22:08 85,999 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Car physics were fine, but the camera whilst driving was bad. I had to tweak the right stick around every single corner.

That said I wouldn't say no to just a hint more "fun" in the handling. Just nudge it slightly back to the PS2 games. Not all the way. Just a smidge.
  • Alastair 15 Nov 2012 14:24:22 15,299 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The car handling in IV took a bit of getting used to, but it was OK imo.

Not as nice as I used to be

• ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 14:24:36 76,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Loads of people didn't get on with the car handling. It actually had depth in IV, and was extremely rewarding if you put the effort in to learning each vehicle. I think a lot of people prefer the shallow Saints Row style where every car handles like a go kart and everything feels the same.
  • vyseofhr 15 Nov 2012 14:24:38 818 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was wondering whether there will be any aping of something like 24 in there... seems perfect for it (with you playing the villain, or at least coerced, obviously) to me.

A lot of pop-culture has happened since we last visited California.

NNID: vyseofhr
    PSN ID: vyseofhr
    3DS Friend Code: 0387-8875-0494

• magicpanda 15 Nov 2012 14:28:43 13,223 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    If they have fixed it by adding more mid-mission checkpointing, no need to constantly do shit mini-games with other characters to keep them happy and sorted out the car/motorbike handling to be more enjoyable I will no doubt have to buy it.
    They fixed all those things in the DLC except the car handling which wasn't broken at all and just takes practice and skill.
  • Vortex808 15 Nov 2012 14:44:10 6,887 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    magicpanda wrote:
    They fixed all those things in the DLC except the car handling which wasn't broken at all
    I had given up on it looong before the DLC was released, but at least RDR and LA Noire gave me hope for the checkpointing.

I've still never really enjoyed the driving in any GTA game that much to be fair, but had a lot of fun just mucking about in bicycles, planes and motorbikes on SA.

I still can't put my finger on exactly what it was that made me dislike GTA IV so much, it just didn't really hit the spot for me and felt pretty flat. It just didn't seem as much fun as previous games. Admittedly, I did reach a point in both VC & SA where I just got a bit fed up towards the end.
  • ronuds 15 Nov 2012 14:53:30 21,788 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I haven't heard the phone mentioned in any conversations yet, so hopefully that's a thing of the past!
  • ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 15:14:45 76,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The recent magazine article said the phone was still in the game but you don't get random phone calls on it anymore.
  • Vortex808 15 Nov 2012 15:21:35 6,887 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Good. 'Hey Niko, want to go bowling?'

/o\
  • ronuds 15 Nov 2012 15:35:29 21,788 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    The recent magazine article said the phone was still in the game but you don't get random phone calls on it anymore.
    Woohoo!

Hopefully they've ditched the whole "friend" thing too?
  • Raiko101 15 Nov 2012 15:37:49 6,019 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The bikes aren't too bad. They just handle differently to the cars. As long as you didn't brake and steer at the same time and accelerated through corners, stability was fine. It took me plenty of bike races to figure that out, but now I can hold my own comfortably in those races.

Edited by Raiko101 at 15:38:32 15-11-2012

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• ronuds 15 Nov 2012 15:40:28 21,788 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I never had problems with bikes or cars. Takes some getting used to, but once you do you should have no problems doing exactly what you want.
  • skuzzbag 15 Nov 2012 16:33:12 5,624 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There was nothing wrong with cars in IV it's just that in SA they were more fun while still retaining individuality without having to spend ages learning the nuances of each model.

It was the camera that was fucked however with it's usual laggy catch up style. It was also shit in SA so can't see them seeing sense on that anytime soon. Expect a very low angle that you can't move permanently and sluggish tracking.
  • MatMan562 15 Nov 2012 16:34:40 2,286 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just realised that with all the games coming out early 2013 I don't really want this to be released until about May...

Regarding the car handling, I disliked it in IV. I suspect that it would be really good if, as has been mentioned, you get used to every car, but personally I think that every car in an open-world game such as GTA should be quite easy to control for the times when you need a quick escape and only have a crap car near you. With that in mind i'd like the handling to be a little more arcadey in V but still with room to master each vehicle.

I thought the motorbikes in IV were awful. The crashes never made sense. I had times where i'd be full throttling it down a road, slam into a car and it'd just stop and turn 90 degrees and then other times where i'd just be picking up speed, slightly brush something on the side and Niko would go flying halfway across the island. I hardly used bikes beacause of this and hated most of the bike oriented missions. The Lost and Damned seemed to fix it mostly though.

Edit: Would it have been GTA IV I had to constantly hold the right stick up slightly to be able to see ahead of my vehicle? That was the case in some game and it really sucked!

Edited by MatMan562 at 16:36:06 15-11-2012

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• skuzzbag 15 Nov 2012 16:40:21 5,624 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes that was 4 (and SA)
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Nov 2012 17:06:31 5,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    .....but personally I think that every car in an open-world game such as GTA should be quite easy to control for the times when you need a quick escape and only have a crap car near you.

The most depressing thing I've read all day.

And what about those momentary panics ? The quick scan of the street....station wagon....4x4.....Sentinel ! Go !

The 'worst' car, the Futo, was actually bloody handy for low speed evasion with superb handling, but was horribly overlooked by most because all they wanted were Banshees and Comets.

As for the Turismo (Ferrari), just ballet on wheels. Glorious handling model. Compared to something like this, it's a fundamental difference.
  • MatMan562 15 Nov 2012 17:13:10 2,286 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @oldschoolsoviet Well, maybe it's just me but I had no idea what any of the cars were called or what they were supposed to be like (aside from obvious things anyway, sports cars will be fast but sensitive, bigger vehicles will be tougher but slower, etc) so whenever I was in a panic it would be a case of getting in the nearest vehicle and hoping for the best.

As I said, I hope they keep the cars individual so people who like to can learn all the different intricacies, i'd just like to see the handling made a little more "fun" than they were in IV.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• ronuds 15 Nov 2012 17:28:28 21,788 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I always liked jumping in a big, bruising truck and running everything over.

The police catching you isn't a big issue when you can smash them to bits! :p
  • Kanjin 15 Nov 2012 17:29:28 1,043 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    anthonypappa wrote:
    nothing beats the blista compact.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but I really did like that car. Not much power but good turning and a decent top speed.
  • crashVoodoo 15 Nov 2012 17:34:38 3,846 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I loved the stallion. Old school muscle car and it was a joy to tool around in

/resists urge to fire up for a blast

a Nexus a day keeps the apple away

• ecureuil 15 Nov 2012 18:41:35 76,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    oldschoolsoviet wrote:
    .....but personally I think that every car in an open-world game such as GTA should be quite easy to control for the times when you need a quick escape and only have a crap car near you.

The most depressing thing I've read all day.

And what about those momentary panics ? The quick scan of the street....station wagon....4x4.....Sentinel ! Go !

The 'worst' car, the Futo, was actually bloody handy for low speed evasion with superb handling, but was horribly overlooked by most because all they wanted were Banshees and Comets.

As for the Turismo (Ferrari), just ballet on wheels. Glorious handling model. Compared to something like this, it's a fundamental difference.
    Hell yeah. I actually liked the crappy cars the best. I loved getting a wanted rating, then jacking some shitty car and trying to escape. Your average road car doesn't drive like a race car and IV really nailed that feeling. They're durable though, and they weigh more than sports cars, which is another thing IV really represented well. It was ace slinging the heavy American cars in to corners and clumsily darting down alleyways to avoid police. Looking forward to hillbilly countryside chases in pickup trucks in V. Police chase vehicle of choice is going to have to be a tractor though. :D
  • oldschoolsoviet 15 Nov 2012 19:01:47 5,456 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ooooo.....wonder if these will return ?
  • ecureuil 17 Nov 2012 11:19:32 76,395 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Couple more screenshots. Just look at that skyline in the first image.
  • monkehhh 17 Nov 2012 11:27:21 3,253 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I feel time off work coming, need to build up some flexitime..
  • Page

of 318 First / Last