• Zackv4861 27 Jun 2012 21:57:23 1,085 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blink 182 first night 8/10 second night 10/10 great to wstch live
  • dogbot 28 Jun 2012 12:10:06 2,276 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Lagwagon @ Bristol Thekla - 9/10

An almost perfect night of Fat Wreck type pop punk. Support bands Crazy Arm and Useless ID were both cracking.

Lagwagon... it was like being 16 again. Which for us aging punks is always a good thing. An hour and a half of brilliant tracks from their first 5 records. They haven't missed a step in all the years. And they still look like a group of dwarves being chaperoned by Andre the Giant. :D
  • dr_swin 28 Jun 2012 15:27:13 4,890 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Coldplay - Sunderland Stadium of Light

Stupendously good gig. It was absolutely chucking it down, but they did not let the weather deter them and they put on a great performance. Chris Martin was great at interacting with the crowd and managed to both raise morale and endear himself to the crowd with his banter.

The setlist was well judged with a good mix of songs from their popular back catalogue. The stage and displays were spectacular, enormous screens so you could see the action, powerful lasers, ticker tape, stuff that looked like nuclear fall out, inflatables, balloons, fireworks and best of all, illuminating wrist bands of various colours that strobed in time with the music at various points. It was quite simply one of the most beautiful sights I have ever witnessed. The stage extended out into the crowd and for the encores, they did a few songs from a tiny stage near the corner of the stadium that we were in.

I think this was probably the best gig I have been to.

• dr_swin 28 Jun 2012 15:36:12 4,890 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Sunderland Stadium of Light

Great show, Great sound, big crowd. Flea was brilliant on bass. Not too sure about the new lead guitarist though. He was ok I suppose, just not as good as the guy he replaced. Excellent set list.

• Vortex808 28 Jun 2012 19:08:17 7,138 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    dr_swin wrote:
    Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Sunderland Stadium of Light

Not too sure about the new lead guitarist though. He was ok I suppose, just not as good as the guy he replaced. Excellent set list.
    That was my exact thoughts on seeing them late last year.

John Frusciante he ain't.
  • beastmaster 1 Jul 2012 10:01:30 11,411 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Stone Roses at Heaton Park - 10/10

Gig was just legendary. They sounded amazing but couldn't really hear Ian Brown's voice as it was drowned by the crowd singing. The way they extended their songs and kept then going was fantastic. They were on for about 2 hours.

Fools Gold just kept on going and kept getting better and better. Loved Ian Brown's rapping on Love Spreads and an epic finish with I Am The Resurrection.

Great fireworks at the end with Bob Marley's "Redemption Song" played over the PA. A very nice touch.

Just stunning from star to finish. Even Beady Eye got a terrific response. When they played a few Oasis songs :D. There was even a decent crowd in.

"We're fucking back!" shouted Ian Brown at the end of the gig.
    "About fucking time!" came the response from someone behind us.

Just so. Just get cracking on a new album and make sure it's epic. Still buzzing now.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• figgis 1 Jul 2012 21:58:10 7,376 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Saw them Friday, they were a bit nervous after the first few songs. Settled down during fools gold and the rest of the gig was awesome. Mani's Toby jug collection was genius. 9/10

As Mani said at the end 'not bad for a bunch of old cunts

Edited by figgis at 21:59:30 01-07-2012
  • dogbot 17 Jul 2012 07:33:49 2,276 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Legendary Shack Shakers - Bristol, Fleece - 10/10

No hyperbole, the Shakers are one of the best live bands ever.

Ably supported by the Dirt Daubers, who bear some uncanny similarities to the main band (singer, bass player) but are an altogether calmer proposition. JD Wilkes and wife Jessica play banjo and mandolin like demons, ably supported by the excellent stand up bass of Mark Robertson. Add in JD's kazoo and genius harmonica and singing and the pickin' sounds of southern US folk flow from the stage. Great stuff.

But the Shack Shakers... well, that's something else. A force of nature. A wild ride through the years as the harmonica blows and Wilkes takes on his wild man of the hills persona as the Colonel and Jerry Lee Lewis meets Iggy Pop-s his way through their catalogue, gradually shedding hat, shirt and apparently, mind as he goes.

The whole crowd, old and young, danced and stomped as one. Simply amazing.
  • thesonglessbird 19 Jul 2012 21:34:42 193 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    New Order @ Benicassim Festival - 9/10

I didn't really have an opinion on New Order before this, but watched anyway. Always loved Joy Division so it was cool that this happened on what would've been Ian Curtis's birthday. Absolutely great set, perfect for my very drugged/drunk state of mind. Dancing like a loon to tunes I didn't know and then they ended with Love Will Tear Us Apart which the crowd went insane for. Only marking them down because I'm not that familiar with most of their material, but whatever.
  • captainrentboy 19 Jul 2012 22:37:39 991 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blink 182 9/10
    Before seeing them for myself, I'd heard nothing but negativity regarding their live performances. Maybe it was because of those comments, and my therefore lowered expectations, but I thought they were brilliant last week in Cardiff. Sure Tom and Mark's live vocals aren't the best out there, musically though I couldn't fault them. They played pretty much every big, well known, song from their back catalogue, which took me right back to my late teenage years.
    Towards the end of the show they did a couple of acoustic numbers on a lil stage right at the back of the venue, meaning they were literally 5 feet away from me, Which was followed up by a pretty lengthy and stonking drum solo by Travis. Great stuff!
  • roz123 13 Aug 2012 09:34:28 7,113 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blur - Hyde Park (BT London Live)

I saw them before at Reading without Graham Coxon and in terms of atmosphere and everyone singing along it was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Here they put on what felt like a better performance. It should have been incredible but it was far, far, far, far too quiet. the quietest gig I have ever been to by a long way and it was often hard to here over the crowd. Such a shame.
  • dogbot 13 Aug 2012 10:08:24 2,276 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Refused - Forum, Kentish Town

10/10

So apparently, they're not as fucking dead as they may have suggested. Wonderful, one of the best 70 minute shows I've ever seen.
  • Bremenacht 13 Aug 2012 15:41:26 18,220 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    roz123 wrote:

I saw them before at Reading without Graham Coxon and in terms of atmosphere and everyone singing along it was one of the best gigs I have ever been to. Here they put on what felt like a better performance. It should have been incredible but it was far, far, far, far too quiet. the quietest gig I have ever been to by a long way and it was often hard to here over the crowd. Such a shame.
    Ach. I was so disappointed to have missed out on this - I've somehow managed never to see Blur live. I've read a few things about the sound being poor. Seems to be the major drawback of Hyde Park gigs these days.
  • Deleted user 13 August 2012 15:45:01
    roz123 wrote:

Volume was fine further back, unfortunately they played a lot of songs that no one but big fans have heard of so there wasn't much enthusiasm around.
  • neilka 13 Aug 2012 15:58:25 15,914 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The volume was fine near the front as well.

Also that tea lady was pretty hot.

A map is like comparing velocity and speed.

• Zomoniac 13 Aug 2012 15:59:19 7,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Charlotte Church - Brudenell Social Club, Leeds, 27/07

Had absolutely no idea what to expect at all, but when I saw her name appear as playing in a little bar in Leeds for a tenner it seemed worth a punt. I'd expected to be blown away by a vocal performance that left a crowd of barely 200 people in awe, and she duly delivered. What I didn't expect was a short set of self-penned alt-rock songs, often very dark in places, layered with creativity, sometimes bordering on prog elements, and using a loop pedal to do 8-way self-harmonising vocals. Evidently she now has enough money to just do what she wants to do rather than what her PR company wants her to do as this really doesn't seem like it will be a profitable tour, but I very much approve of the new reinvention.

• Deleted user 29 August 2012 01:04:40
    Bush - King Tut's Wah Wah Hut

Brilliant gig and as always a great energy in the place. As always the sound was pretty shit but given its like a big living room it's not a surprise.

Played about 1hr30 plus an encore including a Beatles and Floyd cover and the songs the crowd wanted.

Solid 8/10
  • FatSternKikwi 29 Aug 2012 02:05:56 559 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @Zomoniac WOW

Love the brudenell social club. Smallest venue ever.
  • BillMurray 30 Aug 2012 20:04:23 7,737 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Agreed. Great little club and cheap beer, which leads me nicely to...

Out of Spite fest at the Brudenell. Sadly only made the Friday evening of the weekend but it was well worth it. Milloy were brilliant playing their last ever gig too.
  • warlockuk 30 Aug 2012 20:21:22 19,163 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Double-post spam, but still - tommorow is the start of the Bingley Live Festival. Razorlight and all that old bollocks if anyone is interested.

I'm a grumpy bastard.

• Kosmoz 25 Oct 2012 23:31:05 7,692 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Django Django. Good music. Shit crowd.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• FortysixterUK 25 Oct 2012 23:50:41 391 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kiss.
    March 2011.
    7/10
    They are now a tribute band to themselves.

Whilst great fun and a very long gig, tickets were 50 quid each, which I think is steep for a standing ticket ( nothing compared to the prices the Stones are ripping folks off for right now however ! )
  • GuiltySpark 25 Oct 2012 23:58:45 6,383 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Supersonic festival/Bohren und der Club of Gore - 9/10

Awesome, awesome, awesome.

Bat for Lashes - 8/10

Natasha is sexy as hell.

Opeth/Anathema next month!

Get bent.

• Zomoniac 16 Nov 2012 12:17:03 7,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Radiohead, Manchester Arena - 10
    The Civil Wars, Manchester Apollo - 10
    Bon Iver - Manchester Arena - 9

It's been a good run. Ben Folds Five next week too so going to get even better.
  • BryanAKADJ 16 Nov 2012 12:25:24 284 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds (Co Headlining Tour) - 10/10
    Snow Patrol (Co Headlining Tour) 8/10-Had no idea what they played, but I enjoyed it for the most part, also very blinding light show
    Jake Bugg (Opening act for the tour) - 9/10-Bought his album as soon as I got the chance, nice acoustic set.

Eurogamer's local Canadian member. Eh?

• beastmaster 16 Nov 2012 12:29:14 11,411 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Saint Lou Lou at Soup Kitchen in Manchester - Brief/10

Here's a vid. They were good but as they are just starting out, have not got many songs.

• JoeBlade 20 Nov 2012 23:30:24 2,542 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anthrax followed by Motorhead (yeah yeah metal umlaut)

iamdeafnowbutitwasallworthit/10
  • Zomoniac 26 Nov 2012 10:53:15 7,827 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ben Folds Five - Rock City, Nottingham, 24th November

Opened by a band I'd never heard of called Bitter Ruin, who were incredible. Check them out. Was thinking I wouldn't want to have to follow that. But then I was swiftly reminded why I've waited 15 years to see the Five tour again. Quite simply the most staggeringly good live band ever. They've still got it, all of it, and then some. Can't wait to see them again in Leeds this Saturday.

10. At least.
  • Lukus 4 Dec 2012 10:27:33 19,104 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Heh, just came to post about seeing Ben Folds Five last night in Birmingham.

They were excellent, as expected. The sound the three of them make is just ridiculous. Perfect live band, with a brilliant song selection. Not too much new stuff and a good balance of the old.

The support act however, I thought were dreadful. Screechy, self indulgent crap. Each to their own!

Paintings & Photographs

• beastmaster 7 Mar 2013 22:42:49 11,411 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Deap Valley at The Deaf Institute in Manchester - 8/10

Fit and fuck and they rock hard. Looses 2 points for us not being right at the front.

• Page

of 28 First / Last