Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ouch. Bit harsh. She's hardly Enya.

Fuck you!
  • beastmaster 17 Mar 2012 00:05:43 11,416 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Florence and the Machine at the MEN Arena Manchester - 4/10

Here's why. Firstly the good. Her voice is outstanding, the sets were really well done and they looked like they hired Ridley Scott to do the lighting. I like most of her songs too. There was a camera which zoomed into her real close which revealed...

..she looked bored shitless and totally disinterested. It could have been fatigue. It could have been she was trying to do the moody, distant thing. But she didn't seem to be having any fun. She did sparkle a bit when she was chatting to the crowd.

I know it's wrong to compare but I saw her years ago just before the first album came out. She was cheerful, having fun etc.

Also, the Horrors were shit.

The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

• neilqpr 17 Mar 2012 14:35:25 2,849 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    White Hills - 10/10

Fucking awesome wall of wailing guitar for an hour and a half. Forgot my earplugs and I'm kinda deaf now. I believe they're hitting the UK tonight.
  • dr_swin 17 Mar 2012 17:48:31 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Florence and the Machine - Newcastle

The last date on her UK tour. She seemed in better spirits than at Beast master's show. I would echo his comments. Great voice, good songs, good production and stage. The gig was spoiled for us though by just being too far away. It was just as well they had the video feed projecting her larger image at the side or else it would have been totally pointless. The metroradio arena is a shithole and I am never going there again unless I get some closer seats along the side. I like her but am not passionate about her and therefore I found it difficult to be passionate about the show.

6/10
  • Deleted user 17 March 2012 17:52:31
    hello_fi wrote:
    dr_swin wrote:
    Off to see Florence and the Machine on Friday. Anyone been to one of her latest tour gigs yet?
    If you're going through the menopause you'll love it.
    Or if you're graduating from secondary school.
  • dr_swin 18 Mar 2012 18:23:12 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You're both talking shite. There was indeed school kids and oldies at the gig but all the other demographics were well represented too.
  • RedSparrows 18 Mar 2012 19:11:53 22,678 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    it's ok, plenty of people of varying backgrounds have middling tastes.:)
  • beastmaster 1 Apr 2012 23:56:12 11,416 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ren Harvieu - 10/10

Amazing voice, stunning looks and anyone who comes out with "We're doing a track a from the album. We think it's a bit shit but maybe you'll like it" deserves much kudos. The track was great. It was a very short set but her first album isn't even out yet.

Looking forward to the next acoustic gig at the Ruby Lounge for the album launch..

• GuiltySpark 2 Apr 2012 00:30:48 6,385 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nath_monn Sugarmill? Mmm, lovely sticky floors.

Get bent.

• buggrit 3 Apr 2012 08:37:18 5,179 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Black Breath - Camden Underworld

I missed a large portion of the support bands for a variety of crappy reasons, although Victims were a bit good in a d-beat meets old-school death metal kind of fashion. There was a slightly underwhelming turnout considering how well-loved the headliners are right now, and reports had Helmet just up the road at The Electric Ballroom as far from packed too - seriously London, WTF.

Still, it didn't take too long for Black Breath to make me forget any complaints about what was a pretty poor day - kicking off in fine style with 'Feast Of The Damned' from the new album, it seems as if the sound was going to be their undoing as this and the 'Eat The Witch' were a bit hampered by muddy tones and a lack of crucial volume.

Once the veil lifted (honestly, it was like the sound engineer punched the 'decrapify' button on the mixing desk!) the rest of the set became a blur of hair, raised fists and riff after riff after glorious riff - pretty much everything you'd have wanted to hear from the band's two albums was represented, with the sad and very notable omission of 'Obey' and 'Unholy Virgin'. A bloody good night overall, it must be said.

8/10

Edited by buggrit at 08:37:43 03-04-2012
  • dogbot 5 Apr 2012 09:25:59 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Snuff - Bristol Fleece

Ably supported by Caves, who probably shouldn't let their bass player sing lead any more though and Vanilla Pod, who were sort of like a Norfolk version of Strung Out but with added humour.

Duncan was wandering the crowd shaking hands and generally being Duncan before Snuff went on and once they did, in between shambolic moments of comedy "what song are we playing now?" discussions, marriage-proposal song requests (they played it, unlucky fella!) and audience participation Karaoke numbers (Martin), they were ace. They haven't lost a step, still tight and driving and completely mental punk rock.

Love it. Shame I had to stand off to one side with my damaged ankle, really. Loses a couple of points for not being able to get in the fun. Still a good show. :)

7/10
  • mad_caddy 5 Apr 2012 09:27:56 3,306 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @dogbot Thats awesome, still one of the best british dirty punk voices to grace the scene.
  • AccidentProne 5 Apr 2012 09:57:15 1,163 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @dogbot
    I'm off to see them in Cambridge tonight, can't wait. Must be over twenty years since the first time I caught them live. One of the few bands that can drag my old bones out of retirement and have me throwing myself around the front like a loon half my age.
  • dogbot 5 Apr 2012 13:57:32 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You won't be disappointed, I expect. Even the couple of new songs (new album recorded, apparently) were decent.
  • dr_swin 9 May 2012 09:31:59 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    New Order - Newcastle Academy

What a load of shite. They were late coming on. The first song was ruined by technical problems. Sumner then spent the rest of the gig fussing with the sound man mid-songs regarding various 'levels'. They all looked unhappy with their instruments.

Sumner's voice was lost totally in the mix. The whole thing just sounded crap. Quite a lot of their best tunes were sullied by having odd introductions which made it difficult to recognise which song they were playing. It was sometimes 1-2 minutes into the song before i could tell what the hell it was.

The new bass player was wearing an 'adidas originals' t-shirt. I wondered if that was a deliberate attempt at irony given that he was not an original member of the band.

The show ended in farcical style. They came out and did Blue Monday as an encore, but the crowd were clearly expecting another and they did not come back out, much to the bemusement of the audience. I read later that New Order used to be famously grumpy, so that is perhaps no surprise.

• Tom_Servo 9 May 2012 09:48:14 17,951 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I had the exact same experience when I saw New Order at the weekend in Glasgow.

I'm more of a Joy Division man, but I quite like New Order. Got a couple of albums, know the big songs. I had no idea what most of the songs were and even the ones I could recognise from the projections (Bizarre Love Triangle, 586) sounded crap.

The sound was actually shocking, so I understand why Sumner was complaining constantly. The keyboards and vocals were basically inaudible and the whole thing was just a muddy mess of fuzzy guitar. I did wonder if we were going to get a full concert when he kept wandering off the stage during the first three or four songs. Weird, uncomfortable atmosphere on stage all night.
  • dr_swin 9 May 2012 10:07:54 4,890 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I seriously considered leaving at one point. I have never seen them before and they were my favourite band as a teenager. It would have been better to have not seen them, rather than have this negative experience.
  • mrpon 9 May 2012 10:10:47 28,913 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    "Turn that light off ya cunt" was one of my favourite Barney lines.

Give yourself £5 or ½ gig, you're worth it.

• Bremenacht 9 May 2012 18:21:38 18,242 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone seen the Happy Mondays this time around? Seems the madchester revival hasn't gone terribly well so far. Maybe the Stone Roses will save the day. Maybe not.
  • dogbot 17 May 2012 09:15:30 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Doomtree, Bristol Academy.

Their show is as good as it's always looked. They really should be headlining, though. Fuck Yelawolf and his under 13 crowd, throwing up on the floor on Jagerbombs at 7.30 on a Tuesday night. And the room they used ("Academy 2" ) is a ridiculous place to hold concerts, far too small.

Nevertheless, it was amazing to finally see the band live, I've been waiting a LONG time for that... from their opening "No Way", they played most of what we expected and several we didn't ("Low Light, Low Life", "Travelling Dunk Tank" ). Everything is done with a good sense of drama and showmanship, from Sims, Mictlan and P.O.S. exhorting the crowd to jump about and raise hands, to Dessa's act, like a college lecturer spitting fire at naughty students.

Nice to meet the guys after, too. I don't really want to single one of them out, but we pretty much spent the most time talking to Dessa, I reckon. Hooray. :D

9 - minus one for the rubbish room, which wasn't their fault, but made things a bit cramped, and the fact that the place was full of really stupid drunk underage kids.

Edited by dogbot at 09:18:44 17-05-2012
  • Kosmoz 17 May 2012 09:24:45 7,692 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Dinosaur Truckers @ Winston Kingdom, Amsterdam

Got off the plane and headed to a club, turned out it didn't start til midnight and there was a gig on, so we went in, with no idea what to expect. What we got was some awesome Belgian speed-folk. They were a whole load of fun. The gig ended with the double bass player mounting his double bass and playing the whole last song balanced on it

8/10 unexpected but brilliant.

Every girl I ever kissed I was thinking of a pro footballer.

• beastmaster 5 Jun 2012 18:37:57 11,416 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dot to Dot Festival (Manchester) - 10/10

Here's who I saw.

The Shinies - 8/10

First band we saw at Dot-To-Dot. A new Manchester band and wouldn't you guess it, they were just fantastic. Not easy to get everyone going at 2.30 pm but they did.

The Night - 8/10

Kind of ethereal and dreamy but they were excellent.

Hyde & Beast - 9/10

These guys were superb. They kind of have a 70's vibe to them and kind of (sort of) reminded me of early Fleetwood Mac. Probably. Anyhow, will definitely see them live again.

Vadoinmessico - 9/10

These guys were brilliant as well. The kind of music to blast out on on a fine summer's day and it'll make you feel happy. They do great videos too. They have Harry Connick Jr on drums. It's probably not him though.

Rea Morris - 7.5/10

Caught the tail end of Pond's set (and it looked as though they absolutely fucking rocked!) and then this lady came on. To get the crowd who were rocking out to a hushed science as she played was really quite incredible. Very good.

Kyla La Grange - 10/10

The highlight of the day. Stunning voice and all the tracks were great. Not unpleasing on the eye at all either.

She's got a album out at the end of July and I can't wait for it. Pretty much a sure bet that in a few years time she's going to absolutely huge and not in a Bella Emberg kind of way.

Admiral Fallow - 10/10

Brilliant folky type band from Glasgow. Great songs and the main dude was hilarious when chatting to the crowd. They're coming back to Manchester in the autumn and I'll be there to see them again.

• roz123 8 Jun 2012 09:53:29 7,113 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tenacious D - Brixton Academy

Great gig. Brixton is probably my favourite venue for gigs because of its shape and size.
    Jack Black is a brilliant rock singer, they can fill a set list with good songs, crowd was great, backing band was talented and tight and they have a good rapport with the crowd.

8/10
  • dogbot 8 Jun 2012 10:14:22 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    NOFX - Bristol Academy

We stayed in the bar for Margate, they're not really my thing. As for Anti-Nowhere League, they were basically shit back in the 80s and they haven't got much better. Lowest common denominator punk rock. But..

NOFX? NOFX were back on their very best form after their rather poor showing 3 years ago. Excellent set list, loads of classics, a couple of new tracks, and even Arming The Proletariat With Potato Guns.

"Hey, Hefe, what do you call a guy who hangs out with musicians?"
    "You"

They were superb. Even the heavy-handed bouncers (sort it out, 02 Academies, ffs) and some twat pissing off one of the balconies couldn't ruin it. My voice is gone and my arms are sore from punching the air.

9/10
  • beastmaster 22 Jun 2012 00:10:46 11,416 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kate Nash gig at The Deaf Institute - 9/10

Amazing gig.

Pretty much 85-90% of what she played was all new stuff that's probably (hopefully) going to be on her 3rd Album. Anyone who's been to The Deaf Institute will know what an superb, intimate venue it is. The atmosphere in there was incredible.

The new songs are really good. She's caused a shitstorm very recently with the release of a free download of a song she wrote and recorded in a day 'Underestimate The Girl’. Punk? Grunge? What's happened to the Kate we know and love etc.?

Relax you fools because a) It's a grower and I like it (especially live) and b) most of the rest of her new stuff is nothing like that.

Her gigs are a lot more 'rocky' as it's all guitars (no piano tonight) and I've never seen a group of performers enjoying themselves so much on stage and having a laugh. Top!

Looses a point for crap support acts.

Edited by beastmaster at 00:11:35 22-06-2012

• beastmaster 23 Jun 2012 12:37:16 11,416 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marina & The Diamonds at Manchester Cathedral - 10/10

Never been to the cathedral before for a gig. It's an awesome venue but because of a number of pillars the view could be restrictive. Managed to get into a decent position anyway.

She came on in what was basically a nighty. All the men just went fucking crazy. Pretty much did most of her second album and a few from the first. A couple of costume changes etc.

Support wise, I can't even remember. Overall though it was a top night. There was beer which was poured into plastic glasses. However nobody dropped them on the floor when they were done. Given the location, I though the was mildly amusing.

• Deleted user 23 June 2012 13:16:56
    Chris Cornell - London Pallidum

Chris is touring his songbook tour atm, its really stripped back affair. He treated us to 30 songs from his soundgarden, Temple of the dog, Audioslave, and solo backlog. With a couple of covers thrown in.

Superb, sat/stood amongst various acoustic guitars, lots of talking to the crowd, laid back, funny, back and forth and played fan requests!

His voice his getting back to his best, some of those notes! Great value for money, and an awesome evening.

9/10
  • Vortex808 23 Jun 2012 13:29:05 7,143 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    joelstinton wrote:
    Chris Cornell - London Pallidum

Chris is touring his songbook tour atm, its really stripped back affair. He treated us to 30 songs from his soundgarden, Temple of the dog, Audioslave, and solo backlog. With a couple of covers thrown in.

Superb, sat/stood amongst various acoustic guitars, lots of talking to the crowd, laid back, funny, back and forth and played fan requests!

His voice his getting back to his best, some of those notes! Great value for money, and an awesome evening.

9/10
    Sounds great.

/jealous
  • nickthegun 23 Jun 2012 13:48:43 59,916 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Kate Nash gig at The Deaf Institute
    That joke just writes itself.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• dogbot 26 Jun 2012 17:06:19 2,276 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Saw OFF! at the Garage last week.

They were ace. Support band Trash Talk were pretty ordinary, but the kids seemed to like 'em.

Got totally blown off stage by Keith, Dimitri and co, though.
  • Page

of 28 First / Last