Tech help pls - Remote Desktop Connection

• Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 13:22:10 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've got a server (Windows 2003 based) that I remote to using two different methods. When I'm at home I just the Windows inbuilt Remote Desktop Connection, which suits my needs perfectly.

When I'm working remotely, I use Logmein.

If I log on at home, set a few applications running. Log off, and then log back on again, those applications are still running, sweet.

However, if I log on at home, set a few apps running, log off, then log on remotely, those applications are no longer running, a new session starts.

I've done a bit of digging, and loaded up the Terminal Services Manager. It's displaying two instances of the same account (the account in question here is "Adminsitrator"). One account is "Active" and the session given is "Console" (I suspect this is the logmein session), and the second account is "Disconnected" and the session is also shown as "Disconnected". I guess this is the account that I logged off when I left home.

Can anyone tell me why it's creating two different accounts when I want to use the same one? Is there any way to fix this?

Further digging seems to indicate that there's some sort of difference between logging on to the "console" and properly opening a remote desktop connection, but I'm struggling to find more info on the web about this.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

[MH]
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 13:26:49 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    [Edit]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 13:44:26 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't take this the wrong way, because you clearly know more about this than myself, but this man here seems to be saying the opposite to you:

http://weblogs.asp.net/jeffwids/archive/2005/12/14/433160.aspx

/is now very confused

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 13:46:49 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In fact what types of session are there? I thought (from what I've read in the past hour) that there was a console session, which is basically the "live" or current session, and the only other choice is a new session.

Again, I can't find a clear explanation of what a "console" session is, but if that's true then I should always log on as "console" (which can be forced with RDC apparently) and I should get the same view, no?

[MH]
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 13:50:00 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Gimme a minute to test something to be sure and I'll get back to you with a clearer answer. The way I phrased it initially was a bit confusing.
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 14:03:55 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right... I just connected to one of my servers (Windows 2003) using the default settings for remote desktops. Literally just put in the IP address and connected up. I opened a couple of things, then closed the connection (didn't log out). I then remoted to another one of my machines and connected to the first server using remote desktop from there. The session I had open initially loaded up and all my programs were still running.

(I did it this way to see if the IP address had any effect on logging into an old session)

I don't really know much about about this logmein program though so I'm not sure why it wouldn't give you access to the same session. I may be wrong... but logging in as console is only really important if you want to take over the session of the person actually logged in at the machine (physically) which shouldn't be appropriate in your case.

I've certainly never needed to do it anyway.
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 14:08:35 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I would suggest checking if logmein tries to go for the console session by default... in which case using the console option on remote desktop should match it up.

Any particular reason you're using logmein rather than remote desktop on your other machine btw?
  • nickthegun 15 Apr 2008 14:10:08 61,302 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Logmein is basically MSN Help. It lets a remote user take over the desktop, so its persistant. You couldnt do it if your server was logged out (as far as I can tell, I havent used it much).

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 14:10:50 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh. Might as well just download the remote desktop app from MS surely?
  • nickthegun 15 Apr 2008 14:24:54 61,302 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah. logmein is mainly used by PC technicians to remotely solve problems.

The only time I used it was when exchange went tits up and I couldnt for the life of me work out what had gone wrong with it.

You go to a website, but in the client code and download the app, which is basically a little version of MSN, with a chat window and remote control.

Anyway, turns out Antigen had become corrupted, but thats how it worked in this case.

Its pretty useful by the looks of it. I was looking into using it here but didnt get very far as I kept seeing free solutions.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Jos 15 Apr 2008 14:58:45 709 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Log in as console to control what is actually going on at the monitor connected directly to the server.

This can stop your session from timing out depending on how you have configured your server to run user sessions.

Not so important if you have things running as services but can catch you out if you are running them under user sessions.

For remote desktop;

From a command line;

mstsc /v:servernameinhere /console

Or just tick the login as console option...
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 18:19:23 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Wow, thanks for the replies guys.

I'll try and respond in order.

From what I can see, logmein tries to use a console connection by default. I guess this may be because it's commonly used for support so it would enable both people to see the same desktop. I'm just guessing though. I also can't see a way of allowing it to connect any other way.

Oh - I've asked similar questions on the logmein support forum, but not had a response yet, in case anyone was wondering. :)

I'm using logmein instead of RDC remotely because it's much easier. I don't have to fanny about remembering IP addresses, I know using dyndns or something similar would get around that problem, but logmein just... works. No pissing about with firewalls or anything. Hell it even get's through my locked down connection at work, which is a huge bonus.

Nickthegun - Hmm... I've been using it for a while and I've never had a problem accessing the computer when no-one is logged in. It is used a lot for support, but it performs other functions too, and if it had that restriction it'd be a bit pants.

So if I understand what I've read here correctly I've got two choices:

1) Find out how to get logmein not to connect as console
    2) Force RDC to connect as console.

Right?

[MH]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 18:21:38 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've simultaniously connected via both methods (logmein and RDC) and the RDC connection has a session ID of 1, whilst console has a session ID of 0 - which is what was expected. The session of the RDC is described as "RDP TCP#3". So there's a distinct difference between the two.

[MH]
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 18:21:58 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    I'm using logmein instead of RDC remotely because it's much easier. I don't have to fanny about remembering IP addresses, I know using dyndns or something similar would get around that problem, but logmein just... works. No pissing about with firewalls or anything. Hell it even get's through my locked down connection at work, which is a huge bonus.
    Just save your connection info... O_o

If logmein will get through your firewall than so will the RDC.
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 18:23:27 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    You sure PT? I assumed it wouldn't, because it would try and communicate via blocked ports.

[MH]
  • Penguinzoot 15 Apr 2008 18:23:38 496 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Don't know about logmein, but to force RDC to connect as console, just use the /console switch. I use it all the time for remote servers and it works fine.

• Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 18:25:19 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    You sure PT? I assumed it wouldn't, because it would try and communicate via blocked ports.

[MH]
    The ports both RDC and logmein connect to on your server will be identical. If one works, both should work.

[Edit - Unless there's some voodoo with logmein going on that I'm unaware of... but I don't see why that would be]
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 18:28:50 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I thought that was the whole point of Logmein - to remove issues like that - I could be very wrong though, that happens from time to time ;)

I'm testing it now...

Oh - how would I connect remotely - If I put in my IP address how will RDC know which of my pcs I want to connect to?

[MH]
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 18:32:54 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    Oh - how would I connect remotely - If I put in my IP address how will RDC know which of my pcs I want to connect to?
    I'm not quite sure what you mean there.
  • FairgroundTown 15 Apr 2008 18:39:26 2,522 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mike_Hunt wrote:
    I thought that was the whole point of Logmein - to remove issues like that - I could be very wrong though, that happens from time to time ;)

I'm testing it now...

[MH]
    If I've "guessed" the question correctly...

You have to port-forward from your router to the RDC port on the PC in question. (This isn't completely insecure (it does encrypt the passwords) but it isn't great either (it doesn't encrypt the rest of the session).
  • Mike_Hunt 15 Apr 2008 18:41:14 23,526 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    sorry - I've got two pcs and one router, the external IP address is the same, so if I feed that in to RDC how will it know which of my two PCs I want to connect to?

So I'm at work, I enter my home IP address of: 12.34.56.79, but I want to connect to computer "Boobies" instead of "Butt" how do I tell it that?

[MH]
  • Psychotext 15 Apr 2008 18:42:51 55,032 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    FairgroundTown wrote:
    You have to port-forward from your router to the RDC port on the PC in question. (This isn't completely insecure (it does encrypt the passwords) but it isn't great either (it doesn't encrypt the rest of the session).
    You can encrypt the session, but it takes a bit of setting up.
  • andytheadequate 16 Nov 2012 22:29:00 8,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bump

I'm having trouble connecting to my work pc. I'm entering the address correctly and have all of the software installed, but when I try to connect it doesn't find it.

One of my colleagues tried and he managed it, so it's not a problem on my work PC. I've tried pinging the address and it doesn't receive anything back. Any ideas?

I'm using Windows 8 and my work PC is Windows 7. Both have been updated today.
  • X201 16 Nov 2012 22:47:11 15,741 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are you using dns names to connect or IP address?
    Try using IP
  • andytheadequate 16 Nov 2012 23:03:04 8,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tried using IP and had no joy unfortunately
  • Dirtbox 16 Nov 2012 23:08:36 79,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it turned on?

+1 / Like / Tweet this post

• andytheadequate 16 Nov 2012 23:28:56 8,356 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yes, someone else can connect to it, that's why I assume it is an issue on my home computer

Edited by andytheadequate at 23:34:20 16-11-2012
  • teamHAM 16 Nov 2012 23:36:08 3,151 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Maybe you need to have a port open? Some remote stuff uses 3389 for example and if a firewall is blocking it you won't be able to connect.

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• skuzzbag 16 Nov 2012 23:42:50 5,730 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So you're connecting via VPN if your trying to ping it? When you connect do an ipconfig to see if your PC at home is getting an IP address from the DHCP server at work.
  • Bremenacht 16 Nov 2012 23:46:27 19,663 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah - is your colleague connecting remotely too or is he on the intranet somewhere.
  • Page

of 2 First / Last

Previous