Recently-abandoned games Page 3

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• El_MUERkO 24 Sep 2008 11:22:18 16,949 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Battlefield: Bad Company. Played the crap out of it, played the singleplayer campaign to completion and a lot of multiplayer and then just stopped. Got annoyed by run and gun people and missed my mouse and keyboard.

WoW again. Got my Warrior to 70 then couldnt be arsed with the slog needed to get decent PvP kit.

• Cappy 24 Sep 2008 11:22:26 11,826 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Metroid Prime

Hardly recent I know, but one of the only games I've ever been 100% adamant I don't want to ever play again, I rarely give up on anything.

I won't bore you with details, suffice to say Metroid Prime rubs me up the wrong way in every which way possible and holds all the appeal of cheese grating my balls. It also gave me killer motion sickness. I don't think it's very well designed either.

4/10
  • Midian 24 Sep 2008 11:29:32 89 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Spore

Bug ridden bag of filth, lobotomised for the ADHD generation piece of shit. And to put the dysentry icing on the runny shit cake, to patch it you need to install the EA down load bloater. I've got enough shit running in my task manager to grind XP to a fucking crawl already, why would I NEED, never mind want, another crap-useless app running?

If I seem a little annoyed, it's because I was really looking forward to it, and it turns out to be a total bag of wank-hammers. 9/10? Only if you are suffering from all 3 major types of retardation.
  • krushing 24 Sep 2008 11:51:23 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    * Twilight Princess - certainly nothing really wrong with it, but I think I sorta got stuck at some point and couldn't be bothered to wander about looking for what I should be doing next. Friend's game, so I just returned it.

* Lost Planet - some boss monster quite late in the game (I suppose). Couldn't be bothered after a handful of tries.

* Oblivion - first I take a captain and his guards on "tour" of one of the Oblivion gates, the mission being to show them how to handle 'em. Well - the guards decided that taking stuff from the demon's containers is stealing and throw me in the fucking jail for it. After that (and a lot of swearing) they did follow me again through the gate, but refused to move anywhere at the other side. The last save before that was too many hours away for me to bother anymore. Bunch of cunts.

* Perfect Dark: Zero - bought this on a whim, quite enjoyed the straightforward action of the demo. It was shit.

* Silent Storm - one of the games I'd really really like to love 100%, but in the end the flawed campaign structure and invisible linearity (you really had to go to certain places at certain times but this wasn't really but vaguely hinted at), plus the repetitive random encounters made me stop trying. Great game, still - though I don't have a PC anymore.
  • krushing 24 Sep 2008 11:52:44 777 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Oh one more -

Boom Blox - loved the mechanics, but one of the last few "move the blocks around so the monsters don't touch the kitten" levels was too much for me.
  • Pinewood_Groves 24 Sep 2008 12:04:45 1,347 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GTA4

Had it since I got my 360, and did play it for afew hours. But mostly, it just sat around not being played while GTA pixies appeared on my shoulders and whispered to me;

- "you can't trade it in, it's a landmark"
    - "But it's boring"
    - "It got 10/10 everywhere"
    - "But it's so boring"
    - "You can't trade the best game ever made"

I traded it in yesterday.
  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2008 12:06:57 58,782 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Oh yeah, spore. I was really revved up about it, but ive hardly played it.

I got onto the tribe bit and found it a bit confusing, so I turned it off and havent played it since.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TechnoHippy 24 Sep 2008 12:10:34 14,698 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I traded mine in as well, although I did enjoy the game I'll not be going back to it.

Edit: @ pinewood_groves

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 24 September 2008 12:10:57
    I just saw a vid of the bit in the Darkness I was stuck at and the guy doing the play through made a meal of it. I was right next to the bloody bit I was looking for (ladder) and I don't even have to see the fucking helicopter.
  • jonsaan 24 Sep 2008 12:12:22 25,326 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    GTA4. I just couldn't get into it. Reached the third Island and was really disappointed that it was exactly like the other 2. TRADED.

FCUTA!

• Doomspoon 24 Sep 2008 13:43:27 2,414 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Metroid Prime
    I started out with the plan of getting 100% from the off, I'd got to the Phazon mines and realised I'd missed a scan during a boss fight and so restarted. Second time around I've got as far as the first part of the main fight and I'm missing a health upgrade and again 1 scan. I am crap at the first half of the boss fight, I leave it for around 6 months, have a few goes, swear a bit and turn it off again for another 6 months or so.

There's loads to like about it but the perfectionist in me has ruined my enjoyment and due to putting the game down for so long it's a bit tough to get back in to each time, especially that poxy climb with the metroids spawning about on the way to the boss.

9/10

Final Fantasy IV Advance
    I bought this when I was close to finishing FF III DS as I was feeling a lot of FF love. I have an ongoing love/hate relationship with the Final Fantasies and JRPGs on the whole. I love the turn based combat, I love the strategic element when my party isn't overpowered but I hate 'quirky' Japanese weirdness and the patronising narrative of them. I also hate that you have little freedom in leveling your characters. FF III's jobs helped fix this and I have FF V Advance unplayed as yet which I believe has a similar job system. I just don't give a rat's arse about the story or characters for FF IV, more so than in any other JRPG. I'm near enough to the end but I'm strangely overpowered for most fights but not so for the final boss. I don't often play this game as it is but usually end up grinding xp on train journeys so it may well get played still but after a sudden burst of enthusiasm for the final fight 2 nights ago and then the realisation that I will probably need another 10 levels before my damage dealers won't die instantly has pretty much killed any shred of interest.

5/10 Just another JRPG that has nothing special to offer. (I have to remind myself of this as I keep checking prices for FF IV DS).

Twilight Princess (GC)
    Zelda games are great in my eyes. One of my favourite series ever despite my previous comment about not being a fan of Japanese Weirdness. Link's Awakening, LTTP and OoT have had several playthroughs. I kept scouring shops and online for this at a reasonable price for months. I found it by chance in GameStation in Tamworth while on my way back to Brighton from the peak district, I was so keen to get back and play it. I can't place it but it just didn't click for me, it pains me as I want to enjoy it but I can't motivate myself to play it.

I'm not sure if it's because I was also playing WoW at the time and we had a fairly active guild, then not long after I got my 360 and was back on Live again or if it is because the game is lacking? I'm only about 12 hours in, I can't even recall where the breadcrumb trail had gone. I think I'd had a reasonably impressive horseback duel on a bridge and had been in a lava filled dungeon but it's hard to recall now. The arrival of a better working TV has forced me to bag up my GC in order to make room so the likelihood of me setting it up again anytime soon is slim. I know it had potential and I was impressed with the look and sound for a GC game but things didn't click. Maybe my inevitable Yuletime retro/abandoned gaming ritual will do it justice this year.

8/10 Zelda, just not as I knew it.
  • dr_swin 29 Sep 2008 10:06:05 4,860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    patapon
    I gave this a whirl on holiday. I was ensnared by the graphical style and I really loved locoroco. This is quite a large game. I really like it but I think I find it too frustrating to continue. You have to keep a rhythm going for up to 10 cycles of four beats to enter 'fever' mode. However due to some bad design sometimes the rhythm timing will alter slightly when the enter fever mode leading to you losing the fever mode. The game seems to be totally reliant on you being able to do this to progress. On too many occasions my fever has broken down through what I believe to be no fault of my own so I am benching it. Shame because I really liked the premise.

6/10
  • Quint2020 29 Sep 2008 10:13:13 3,484 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pinewood_Groves wrote:
    GTA4

Had it since I got my 360, and did play it for afew hours. But mostly, it just sat around not being played while GTA pixies appeared on my shoulders and whispered to me;

- "you can't trade it in, it's a landmark"
    - "But it's boring"
    - "It got 10/10 everywhere"
    - "But it's so boring"
    - "You can't trade the best game ever made"

I traded it in yesterday.

Lol, this post single handedly cheered up my morning.
  • von_Doll 29 Sep 2008 10:26:45 2,104 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lost Odyssey and Call of Cthulhu: DCoTE are both on hold. Lost Odyssey until the dash update when I can copy the borked disc 4 to the HD to save me from 3 minute loading screens, and CoC simply because I got taken by Tomb Raider: Anniversary.
  • Tremendosaurus 29 Sep 2008 10:29:36 1,197 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Force Unleashed on the PSP.

Played it for a bit, got most of the way through the second level, decided to save it and come back to it later. Later on, loaded only to find myself back at the start of the fucking level! Why fucking provide a save feature if it only saves what fucking level you're on and not how far you are through it!?

/hates console's idea of "saves"

Mercenaries 2

It looks and handles like a big pile of shite.
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Sep 2008 10:40:39 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Lost Planet

Played it, much like mentioned above, to near completion and then I face a boss who has tentacles that stick through the floor and some toothy mouth at the top and I can't quite figure out how to do him in. I've even checked gamefaqs but they don't really explain it. So that's on the never again pile I guess as I've probably already forgotten all the buttons.

Medieval Total War 2

Picked it up cheap, started a campaign with the English and began a siege and then got bored. It's very odd, I think I've just lost interest in RTS games, I loved every previous Total War but I just can't bring myself to play it. I guess it's probably because the campaign is so tedious. Still, I should give it another go really.

You are a factory of sadness.

• dr_swin 29 Sep 2008 11:01:08 4,860 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    super princess peach lol. I bought that for my daughter! :)
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Sep 2008 11:01:31 16,838 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    blizeH wrote:
    Viva Pinata - 6/10

Got about as far as I could without it becoming completely tedious. Very charming, but also very repetitive and buggy.

Ah yes, that's something I gave up on recently too. I had two major problems with it (which might be due to my ineptitude, I'm not sure). Problem one was that everything happened too fast, new creatures kept popping up every few minutes and then I had to sit through yet another cut scene.

Problem two was that my creatures just wouldn't stop fighting, they fought all the fucking time, even when I fenced things off they'd find ways to get at each other and I was just sick of all that as I just found it far too annoying to carry on.

The art style and the theme and everything is quite right but I just found it tedious and then too hectic and then tedious again. meh.

You are a factory of sadness.

• TechnoHippy 29 Sep 2008 11:05:10 14,698 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Gave up on Viva Pinate 2 recently, I really enjoyed the first one. But this one just isn't grabbing me.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• Deleted user 29 September 2008 16:39:05
    Quint2020 wrote:
    Oblivion

I'm sure this probably makes me some sort of evil philistine of gaming but at least i gave it a fair chance.

I've tried to play this 3 times and each time i've got annoyed with it and given up on it, usually for one of the following reasons:

1. The main quest FORCES you to use the god awful, dull, repetitive combat system; you can't even avoid using the crap system by playing a sneaky character because at one point or another in the main quest you just plain have to use it.

2. The supposed "freedom" the game offers you is BS because you basically have to play a combat character, if you play as a non combat class and you go through levelling your main NON COMBAT skills all the monsters level up around you and end up handing you your arse every 5 minutes.

I basically end up grinding combat skills just so that i can walk around the bloody world, if i wanted to do that i'd of bought WoW for Christ's sake.

3. Those bloody Oblivion gates are the most mundane, repetitive things i may well have ever come across in a game, it doesn't help that most of the main quest is dull as dishwater as well.

Can i see why people like it? Yes, but i'm sorry i simply don't, i wish i did because i want a decent western RPG for my 360 now i've finished Mass Effect, it's a technical marvel but most of the unconventional and supposed "revolutionary" design decisions just plain piss me off.

I'll give it a 7/10 because it's obviously a great game, just not at all for me.

duuuude! >=/

all you have to do is make the chameleon suit. (hat, top, pants, shoes and any armor gauntlets) if you enchant those with grand soul gems you get chameleon @ 20% a piece. then you just walk into the dungeon and loot away. no combat required. =)
  • jonsaan 29 Sep 2008 16:40:58 25,326 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That sounds like fun?!

FCUTA!

• pjmaybe 29 Sep 2008 16:46:33 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mercs 2. Dropped like a hot potato covered in liquid hot magma.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Fucking repeated levels, fucking respawning shite enemies, fucking all powerful enemies who are seemingly indestructible to force blows or lightsabre slashes.
  • ronuds 29 Sep 2008 16:48:18 21,788 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Quint2020 wrote:
    Oblivion

3. Those bloody Oblivion gates are the most mundane, repetitive things i may well have ever come across in a game, it doesn't help that most of the main quest is dull as dishwater as well.

+1 here

I HA-TED the Ob gates. Half the time I can't figure out where to go and end up stuck running in circles for an hour.

Mass Effect

Just couldn't get into it. I played for a couple hours and never picked it up again, though, I'm tempted to every now and again.

• jonsaan 29 Sep 2008 16:50:32 25,326 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    pjmaybe wrote:
    Mercs 2. Dropped like a hot potato covered in liquid hot magma.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed. Fucking repeated levels, fucking respawning shite enemies, fucking all powerful enemies who are seemingly indestructible to force blows or lightsabre slashes.

Force blows eh?

\is interested.

FCUTA!

• pjmaybe 29 Sep 2008 16:51:28 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As in you fire a nice warming jet of pure dark force hatred at a foe, and they just stand there like all you did to 'em was fire a spud gun at them.
  • Rowlsten 29 Sep 2008 16:52:54 674 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems a lot of the same games are being listed.....

Mercs 2, Force Unleashed, ready for giving up on Bad Company too even tho I've quite enjoyed it. Also preparing for the demise of patience for Spore.
  • LFMartins 29 Sep 2008 16:53:38 5,704 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So,Killer 7...

I tried,i really tried to like it.I tried it on the PS2,i tried on the GC.
    I can live with the controls but i canīt feel that"click" that makes you addicted to a game.
  • pjmaybe 29 Sep 2008 16:55:08 70,676 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh Spore - Spore got shitcanned. Actually gave it away I was that fucking angry with it. Hopefully the poor sap that got it won't need to install it too many times.

Biggest disappointment of the year bar none.
  • Page

of 141 First / Last