Recently-abandoned games Page 141

• Page

of 145 First / Last

• bosseye 23 Jul 2014 14:03:56 5 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've just given up on Sniper Elite 3 on PS4. The first couple of levels it was solid enough and I enjoyed them but it started to drag on the third level and I couldn't face trawling through another load of Nazi's for level four so I stopped.

Once the novelty of the kill cam has worn off (which doesn't really take long) it becomes incredibly repetitive I found. Its the same actions throughout with no variation. Being presented by a new expansive level crammed with enemies I should be enthused by the possibilities, but it boils down to stealth kill with the Welrod or knife or find somewhere with a farting generator to cover sniper shots and if not then be prepared to run around like an arse 're-locating'. There's enjoyment to be had from threading your way from kill to kill trying not to be seen, but there are a few too many moments when you have to take a shot and re-locate which grates when I'm trying to be Mr Stealthy.

I also found the environments to be incredibly static. I do love my graphics and they're nice enough in SE3 without ever being spectacular, but the levels feel like game spaces rather than anything more real/organic. Patchy grass that doesn't bend as you walk through it, streams and lakes you can't enter, rocks you can't climb on, scenery dressing you can't interact with..... It just took me out of the world a fair bit and made it feel more like a puzzle game with Nazi chess pieces.

Got 28 trade in at CEX, and therefore got Tomb Raider DE for 2. Love that game (despite its flaws), played it on 360 and PC and really enjoying it on PS4 with the tarted up visuals and a decent framerate.

Also gave up on AC4 Blackflag. Played it a lot and it took a looooong time to finally open up the world to proper exploring, but along the way I completely lost track of the narrative - who was who, why they were there, what we were all doing and why was I doing it? Might just be me being a big thicko but it got incredibly convoluted with lots of similar looking blokes with beards and gruff voices saying and doing similar things. I lost track and without the story to drive me on I lost interest.

Plus the stealth stuff started to get old and failing a stealth section halfway through respawned you in the middle of the area with all the guards you've just laboriously taken out back in the action.

Plus the controls started to bug me. As with all AssCreed games the main guy sticks to surfaces like shit to a blanket, and often not the surface you want him to stick to.

Edited by bosseye at 14:06:09 23-07-2014

Edited by bosseye at 14:09:25 23-07-2014

Edited by bosseye at 14:09:51 23-07-2014
  • CharlieStCloud 23 Jul 2014 17:15:40 5,202 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    The first Uncharted was great, I thought. It was all downhill for Naughty Dog after that though.
    Naughty Dog went downhill after Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, two of the very best games of the last generation gone by?

... either you are an incredibly harsh critic, or you just cannot see a glorious game when you play one!

Still, fair enough, you are entitled to you own wrong opinions.

: )
  • super-s1 23 Jul 2014 18:12:50 407 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Aquaria, not through choice though, it was shaping up to be a great game, with soothing audio and graphics. Unfortunately I came back after 3 hours of play to find my save gone :(

I'll definitely get back to it in the future though.
  • yegon 23 Jul 2014 18:26:57 5,279 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bosseye wrote:

Also gave up on AC4 Blackflag. Played it a lot and it took a looooong time to finally open up the world to proper exploring, but along the way I completely lost track of the narrative - who was who, why they were there, what we were all doing and why was I doing it? Might just be me being a big thicko but it got incredibly convoluted with lots of similar looking blokes with beards and gruff voices saying and doing similar things. I lost track and without the story to drive me on I lost interest.

Same. I ploughed a lot of hours into it and really enjoyed it for a while and probably got my moneys worth from it. I'd skipped most of the other AC games and only recently played Far Cry 3. I'd hear about certain Ubi games turning into something of a slogfest of identikit missions eventually and, having played FC3 and AC4 in fairly quick succession, I can really see it now. Was originally interested in Watchdogs but have zero compulsion to go anywhere near it as it appears to suffer from the same thing.

That said, I suppose if you focus on the main mission you can avoid the slog, but that generally goes completely against the way I like to play games.
  • SomaticSense 23 Jul 2014 19:29:39 8,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Focusing just on the main story is a terrible idea, as it will end up swamping you in endless boring tail or eavesdrop missions. The game comes off even worse as a result.
  • yegon 23 Jul 2014 19:44:05 5,279 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, probably, and that's a pretty sorry state of affairs.
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Jul 2014 20:36:33 1,697 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The main missions of AC4 was shit, hated having to parts of the main story to do side stuff
  • Kichijoten 23 Jul 2014 21:50:26 1,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    I'm not sure I've totally abandoned it yet as i will check online how many levels are left but killzone on ps4 is so boring. Started off quite fun but just turns so dull.

it is beautiful and has outstanding audio as well but pretty much everything gameplay wise is very drab.

glad i played it on easy as it is infuriating and I've never been lost so many times on a fps. On many levels i was wondering around trying to work out how the hell to get to the next waypoint. Whoever designed the train level should be sacked.

how on earth this crap series became a flagship ip for Sony baffles me, it is nothing vs the likes of halo and other platform holders flagship games. Infamous is utter shit as well. Sort it out Sony.
  • Kichijoten 23 Jul 2014 22:00:44 1,379 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Oh god, three missions left! :/
  • bobdebob 23 Jul 2014 22:32:14 587 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    CharlieStCloud wrote:
    Naughty Dog went downhill after Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, two of the very best games of the last generation gone by?

... either you are an incredibly harsh critic, or you just cannot see a glorious game when you play one!

Still, fair enough, you are entitled to you own wrong opinions.

: )
    Uncharted 2 was just above average.
  • TAJB 24 Jul 2014 15:35:39 343 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I recently abandoned Dead Space 1. Not intentionally, but other games jumped at me that i needed to play.

PSN: Tiny_WeeMan

• Stranded87 24 Jul 2014 17:29:43 900 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Kichijoten I don't disagree about Killzone and Infamous isn't brilliant, though I'd say the first two are pretty good. But Sony has Uncharted, which is sometimes brilliant and The Last of Us which is one of the best games ever made, plus amazing indies like Journey.

It hasn't had a terribly strong start to the current generation in terms of exclusives but last gen I'd rate Sony way above Microsoft for exclusives and that's with me not even being fussed about MGS or Gran Turismo.
  • Rens11 27 Jul 2014 20:58:41 1,404 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clive Barkers Jericho

Guns with no recoil, terrible dialogue, bullet sponge enemies just shite all round probably the worst shooter I've ever played

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Malek86 28 Jul 2014 11:19:17 844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Crash Bandicoot

I downloaded it from the PSN, because I had extra credit and I was like, sure, let's see what the fuss was all about. At the time I was a PC gamer, so I missed a lot of these "gems" and I've been looking to try a few of them. But I could have probably avoided myself the pain of playing this game.

I don't even know where to start. The platforming is laggy, the digital controls aren't good, and it's hard to calculate the distances due to the camera work. The save system is the most hideous thing ever created by man, even passwords were better. And of course it doesn't help that the game is really tough, which just makes things worse. I eventually abandoned the game after dying repeatedly in that waterfall level and having to restart from a previous one because I couldn't save because I hadn't found the goddamn bonus area in the rolling stones level.

I know standards were different back then, but I still don't understand the praise this game got. It's not a matter of standards, imho. I can think of many 3D platformers from that era that I would still gladly play. I actually didn't play Mario 64 until 2005, and I still had great fun with it. I also didn't play Rayman 2 until very late. There's also Pandemonium, which is still cool aside from the passwords system (and it's still better than the save system of CB anyway). Hell, there was a game called Donald Duck Goin' Quackers, which was essentially a CB clone, and it was still more fun and better designed.

This must be like Goldeneye, which has aged terribly too, although I can at least recognize that Goldeneye attempted something which at the time was very uncommon. I don't know why Crash Bandicoot got singled out instead. I could maybe understand it in a world where Super Mario 64 didn't exist and people had to complete games in one sitting like on the NES. Except Mario 64 had already been released, and saving after every level had become commonplace for, like, years.

4/10

Edited by Malek86 at 11:29:11 28-07-2014
  • Stranded87 28 Jul 2014 11:42:10 900 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I never got the praise for Crash Bandicoot even at the time, it was pretty poor, especially considering the N64 had Mario 64 and Banjo-Kazooie at around the same time.

I kind of suspect it was actually a case of the PlayStation needing some sort of platformer to clutch on to and try and compete since they were big business in those days, so Crash Bandicoot got far more attention than it ever deserved.
  • RedSparrows 28 Jul 2014 11:50:19 22,771 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I remember some friends going nuts for Crash Bandicoot. I enjoyed what I played, but then I had Mario and B&K. No contest.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 28 Jul 2014 12:20:51 3,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Crash 2 and 3 are better by today's standards, Crash 1 is definitely tougher, but still good. It's what I was raised on though, so I never noticed any of your complaints. The only place I really hated the game was that foggy bridge level, road to ruin or something. I'd lose my stockpile of lives at that spot every time.
  • dsmx 28 Jul 2014 12:22:11 7,607 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rens11 Why on earth would people actually play that game or even worse pay money for it. Zero punctuations review of it years ago summed up really why that game was so amazingly bad.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• the_milkybar_kid 28 Jul 2014 12:39:53 343 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Slightly relieved after reading Malek's review. I downloaded on the Vita last year and really struggled before abandoning it. As he said, the controls didn't translate well, especially when it switches to 2D. I abandoned it during a water based boss level where you have to detonate bombs in the water whilst jumping on different platforms.
  • Malek86 28 Jul 2014 12:48:15 844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs do Crash 2 and 3 allow you to just save after every level, without having to discover some sort of hidden area? That's really my major complaint about the game.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:49:12 28-07-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 28 Jul 2014 13:21:13 3,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Malek86 Yup, no passwords or tomfuckery, just saving. They're also structured nicer if you're a perfectionist.
  • Raiko101 28 Jul 2014 13:24:41 6,315 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really enjoed the Crash Bandicoot games. They get easier with each instalment, if that's of any relevance. I can understand the visuals looking dated, and the lack of analog control being weird, but I never had issues with the controls back in the day.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• Malek86 28 Jul 2014 13:33:01 844 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs oh well, that's good. I still wonder what exactly brought Naughty Dogs to make that crime against humanity in the first game though. Was there ever any post-mortem interview or something? I'm kinda curious. I have seriously never seen another save system that bad, in terms of convenience for the player.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:34:38 28-07-2014
  • TheMayorOfJugs 28 Jul 2014 13:47:14 3,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I know today it's a terrible system, but back when it came out, no one really cared, at least no one I knew. We treated it like one of those games you'd try and finish in one go, and of course, we all had the super password to open all the levels.
  • Clart 28 Jul 2014 16:44:08 1,006 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    bosseye wrote:
    I've just given up on Sniper Elite 3 on PS4. The first couple of levels it was solid enough and I enjoyed them but it started to drag on the third level and I couldn't face trawling through another load of Nazi's for level four so I stopped.

Once the novelty of the kill cam has worn off (which doesn't really take long) it becomes incredibly repetitive I found. Its the same actions throughout with no variation. Being presented by a new expansive level crammed with enemies I should be enthused by the possibilities, but it boils down to stealth kill with the Welrod or knife or find somewhere with a farting generator to cover sniper shots and if not then be prepared to run around like an arse 're-locating'. There's enjoyment to be had from threading your way from kill to kill trying not to be seen, but there are a few too many moments when you have to take a shot and re-locate which grates when I'm trying to be Mr Stealthy.

I also found the environments to be incredibly static. I do love my graphics and they're nice enough in SE3 without ever being spectacular, but the levels feel like game spaces rather than anything more real/organic. Patchy grass that doesn't bend as you walk through it, streams and lakes you can't enter, rocks you can't climb on, scenery dressing you can't interact with.....
    My feeling exactly, I've also just given up on Sniper Elite 3 on PS4. It was great to start with but the mechanics got old really quickly. After you'd shot your 50th Nazi in the balls, it just got a bit... boring.
  • Rens11 28 Jul 2014 23:42:05 1,404 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    dsmx wrote:
    @Rens11 Why on earth would people actually play that game or even worse pay money for it. Zero punctuations review of it years ago summed up really why that game was so amazingly bad.
    Yeah I wouldn't have got it if it wasn't included in a bundle. Thought I'd give it a go as it had fairly average reviews I honestly can't see how anyone could even give it that. Shockingly bad game feel sorry for anyone who paid full price at launch

Edited by Rens11 at 23:43:58 28-07-2014

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• FuzzyDuck 29 Jul 2014 01:18:56 4,145 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheMayorOfJugs wrote:
    Crash 2 and 3 are better by today's standards, Crash 1 is definitely tougher, but still good. It's what I was raised on though, so I never noticed any of your complaints. The only place I really hated the game was that foggy bridge level, road to ruin or something. I'd lose my stockpile of lives at that spot every time.
    Jugshey speaks the truth. Crash 2 is a lot better. Treat it as if it was a side scroller moving in a different direction instead of the free roam of Mario 64 and it is more fun. Anyway, Mario never had Polar...
  • Hansel 29 Jul 2014 14:16:14 5 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Firefall. I really enjoy that game, but I'm afraid that Destiny will complete make me forget it.
  • SomaticSense 29 Jul 2014 16:37:24 8,346 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rens11 wrote:
    dsmx wrote:
    Yeah I wouldn't have got it if it wasn't included in a bundle. Thought I'd give it a go as it had fairly average reviews I honestly can't see how anyone could even give it that. Shockingly bad game feel sorry for anyone who paid full price at launch
    Like me...

I really wanted to like it as the setting was awesome, and the character switching was a decent idea. But everything important to an FPS's feel of quality just wasn't there. The execution was awful.

I wasn't suprised at Lords of Shadow 2 seeing a severe drop in quality once Kojima left them standing on their own feet. Jericho suggested MercurySteam were a dev house focused entirely on creating striking art and environments, but were crap at designing quality gameplay.

Edited by SomaticSense at 16:38:49 29-07-2014
  • Sharzam 29 Jul 2014 18:26:23 2,891 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hansel wrote:
    Firefall. I really enjoy that game, but I'm afraid that Destiny will complete make me forget it.
    I would be instreasted to know your thoughts on Firefall, as I wanted to like it but just couldn't understand the systems of the game. Why does crafting have to be complicated for example.

Known as 'Sharzam' in 98.5% of games

• Page

of 145 First / Last