Recently-abandoned games Page 121

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• DrStrangelove 20 Oct 2013 03:43:20 3,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Half-Life 2.

For the umpteenth time, I wanted to give it another try. It starts promising, it's fun. Physics are great.

But again, very quickly, it becomes awfully boring. Don't know what it is.
  • ardamillo 20 Oct 2013 07:41:58 520 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Glad to see I'm not the only one struggling with GTA 5. Amazing world but the missions are almost always disappointing.
  • Triggerhappytel 20 Oct 2013 07:49:08 2,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Valve games in my opinion tend to have pretty poor pacing. Half Life 2 is the best example of that, with dull sections that far outstay their welcome. Portal 1, brief as it was, was also guilty of this, with the first 10 or so chambers being so easy and simple they were practically pointless. Portal 2 also really dragged in the middle, when you're lost underneath the labs there's several rooms where you have to find the right panels and fall to gain speed to fly and reach the exit.

Anyway, I really should try to play the Super Mario Galaxy games, but I don't want to buy a Wii. I could maybe borrow my sister's, if I can pick up a cheap copy of the game.
  • FuzzyDuck 20 Oct 2013 07:57:40 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Triggerhappytel wrote:
    Anyway, I really should try to play the Super Mario Galaxy games, but I don't want to buy a Wii. I could maybe borrow my sister's, if I can pick up a cheap copy of the game.
    Do, they're the two best games of this entire gen IMO. I'm going to definitely part with my 360 before next gen, the PS3 is also for the chop (but it may stay as a second Bluray player) but I will never get rid of the Wii, purely because of SMG 1 & 2.

Agree about Half Life 2. Actually, aside from the two Portals, I actually think they're pretty poor game devs.
  • Kay 20 Oct 2013 10:22:50 17,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SMG2 is still the best game this generation, it's got everything you'd want in a platformer. I'd be very surprised if Mario 3D World tops it, as lovely as that looks in HD.
  • BloodMountain88 20 Oct 2013 10:30:48 139 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Loved Super Mario Galaxy, but never got around to playing the second game, as I'd sold my Wii about a year before it was released. Unless I buy a WiiU (which is very unlikely at this point) I doubt I'll ever get around to playing it either.
  • Rhaegyr 20 Oct 2013 11:02:57 1,445 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Agreed with Kay - SMG2 is the game of the generation.

I couldn't believe that SMG could be improved upon that much - boy was I wrong.

I recently abandoned Rogue Legacy (PC). I've been loving my rogue-like games at the moment (BoI, FTL and Teleglitch are all amazing) but this one didn't work out long term. It starts off great but starts to get very repetitive (especially enemy design) and there doesn't seem to be enough secrets. A fair bit of grinding involved too (there's practically 0 chance of completing the game the first 20 or so times).
  • TheHammerite 20 Oct 2013 11:41:23 1,512 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @DrStrangelove

Unlike a lot of people I thoroughly enjoyed the slower paced sections of the game. The boat and buggy sections being favorites.

I did find the prison a bit tiresome. But I think the dull environment had a lot to do with that.

My only real complaint would be the overly numerous turret ship battles.
  • Bremenacht 20 Oct 2013 13:38:59 17,622 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really enjoyed the HL2 slow bits too. It was those bits that filled you in on the changed state of the world, and informed you a little bit about what was going on elsewhere. Was it HL2 that really pushed that way of story-telling? I can't think of another game that did it that way beforehand. Move four or five years on to a game like Dead Space and you cannot go anywhere for finding grafitti, post-it notes and notice-boards sign-posting everything over and over. Even the sign-posts are sign-posted. (And candles galore!)

So anyway - ignore the slow bits in HL2, and you'll ignore the story.
  • Kay 20 Oct 2013 13:59:14 17,767 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    HL2 for me was all about the journey, so I also loved the slow bits. The vehicle sections did drag on just a tad too long though.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Oct 2013 14:22:29 3,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hmm yes I understand that. Made me just notice a bit of hypocrisy on my side, because I always loved Mass Effect 1, decidedly including the Mako bits, planet surfaces, side missions, and so on. Many found those awfully boring and tedious.

Just replaying it again now, I know the story too well already and wish I could skip a lot of that stuff, and the main gameplay is pretty rough around the edges too. If you're too impatient to let yourself being absorbed by story and atmosphere, it all breaks down, like HL2 does for me every time I try.

Someone mentioned Portal 1/2, a few months ago I abandoned another Portal 2 playthrough for the same reason. I got to the goo/fluid parts, which isn't much fun imo, and it just goes on and on and on and on.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Oct 2013 14:25:55 7,838 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Portal 2 is a good example of a game that would be better if it was edited down slightly. Absolutely agree that there is a lull in the middle with the paints.
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Oct 2013 14:26:33 7,838 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is precisely why I think the original game is better.
  • kentmonkey 20 Oct 2013 19:33:19 20,456 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lego Lord of the Rings on Vita.

Because it's gimped.

The Vita is, essentially, a PS3 in your pocket in terms of quality. LLotR isn't. It's a kids PS1 game with shiney visuals in your pocket.
  • RyanDS 20 Oct 2013 21:31:23 9,074 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sins of a solar empire.

Bought this yesterday as I really wanted a decent space sim 4x type thing.

Looks gorgeous, has tonnes of depth and seems great. But it has no fucking campaign... That's me straight out unfortunately.

Back to Skyrim it is then.
  • jabberwoky 21 Oct 2013 18:53:54 470 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tried Medieivil total war 2. Its so boring, like conquering europe by spreadsheet, and getting anywhere takes as long as the real thing.

Also the ai doesn't do anything. I have a spy in europe and no-one is actually doing anything!!! And scotland isn't either, his armies have been standing around with their thumbs up their asses for decades. There's an open town in ireland just asking to be got, and he won't do it!!! What is he brain dead or something? How do CA get away this, they're actually rubbish at strategy games but keep selling them like there was no tommorow.

Give me heroes of might and magic 3 any day of the week, you know you're in a fight with that one. Its the strategy equivelent of crack.
  • kentmonkey 21 Oct 2013 19:22:03 20,456 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In the original Shogun, I saw off an army of hundreds (literally) by hiding my 12 archers and 2 cavalry men in the forest because I was too stubborn to concede the territory.

Rained arrows at them for a while whilst they stood on the edge of the forest, killed about 50, then sent my two cavalry men (or mounted Samurai, whatever they're called) out on charge. Oppo routed from the battlefield.

Stupid game.
  • FuzzyDuck 22 Oct 2013 03:54:11 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    God Of War Ascension

Think I'm done with this series. I've always loved it, but after playing to chapter 9 or 10 on hard, it's time to say bye-bye.

Considering I've played through both Metal Gear Rising and Bayonetta this year, the combat feels poor in comparison. And they're clearly going for style over substance - the game rarely hits 60FPS (in fact it seems to play mostly at 30) so instead of fast, fluid controls, we get a super choppy (it has to have one of the most variable frame rates in recent memory), it's all over the place, which is one of the absolute no-noes of a game like this (I recall GoW 3 had a variable framerate too, but it felt more stable than this)

As for the game itself, it's a huge case of "been there, done that", so while it's about a 7/10, I've done it all before (better and within the same series too).
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Oct 2013 04:14:33 14,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Gaming in general. Finding it really hard to want to play anything at the mo. Cancelling pre orders all over the place. Looking to cancel ACIV at the moment. Not getting the new machines etc

The only bright spot on the horizon is Southpark. Keep wondering if my gaming time has come to an end. 1983-2013 ;-)

"Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• FuzzyDuck 22 Oct 2013 04:26:37 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 But what will happen to the upcoming swapsie threads :D

I know what you mean though, I can safely say I'm pretty much done with this gen now, with the exception of Dark Souls 2. It's also the only release on my radar for the next 18 months - I don't think I'll be able to squeeze that much milage out of it.
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Oct 2013 04:33:40 14,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FuzzyDuck
    Have no fear mate, game ownership and swappage is another thing entirely ;-)

Im sure mine is just a lull, im just enjoying reading more at the mo, I also want to give my Guitar some love even without gaming, there are not enough hours in the day.

I might start Fallout NV that should blow the cobwebs away. Fallout 3 is in my top 3 games ever.

• FuzzyDuck 22 Oct 2013 04:46:27 3,935 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5
    Haha, fair enough!

I know that feeling too, had a big lull around the release of Mass Effect 3, and actually abandoned games entirely (apart from a playthrough of A Link To The Past and Super Mario Kart) between 1999 and 2003, which is when I really got into music.

I've started drumming again, so I might flog off a few gaes to fund a new bass pedal.

Ironically enough, New Vegas is actually one of the games hat killed my enthusiasm recently! (despite 80 odd hours on NV).

Ah, I'll probably get one go at Resogun at a mate's when the PS4 lands and will be back in love in no time :D
  • DUFFMAN5 22 Oct 2013 05:18:23 14,444 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:

Ah, I'll probably get one go at Resogun at a mate's when the PS4 lands and will be back in love in no time :D
    Good stuff, im also sure I will own a 720/ps4 sometime after xmas.

• Megapocalypse 22 Oct 2013 07:05:48 5,328 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Amy

Not worth the 78p I paid. Terrible in every way.
  • Deleted user 22 October 2013 08:00:25
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    I might start Fallout NV that should blow the cobwebs away.
    You've been threatening to start that for AGES! Do it man, it's bloody great (as I keep telling you!).
  • Grax 22 Oct 2013 08:06:54 1,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    To be fair, it's easy to grow bored of gaming when the AAA releases have grown so samey
  • BigT2-A 22 Oct 2013 08:08:56 1 posts
    Seen 8 months ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @tomb85 Yeah i stopped in the middle of that too but dont see myself going back to it.
  • Page

of 141 First / Last