Recently-abandoned games Page 118

• Page

of 145 First / Last

• andytheadequate 17 Sep 2013 18:05:54 8,268 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm close to giving up on Assassins Creed 3. It's just really boring. I've heard the naval battles are fun, but I'm struggling to find the motivation to keep playing. I'm currently on chapter 4, chasing animals around a forest and shooting bunnies. I feel like such an elite assassin...
  • RyanDS 17 Sep 2013 18:23:03 9,586 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    I'm close to giving up on Assassins Creed 3. It's just really boring. I've heard the naval battles are fun, but I'm struggling to find the motivation to keep playing. I'm currently on chapter 4, chasing animals around a forest and shooting bunnies. I feel like such an elite assassin...
    They took a game based around sneaking through ancient cities and climbing tall awesome buildings in order to sneak up and kill people, and turned it into a hunting sim, where you get to climb up identikit 3 story churches occassionally.

Worst game in the series by far.
  • FanBoysSuck 17 Sep 2013 18:29:35 1,527 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:
    They took a game based around sneaking through ancient cities and climbing tall awesome buildings in order to sneak up and kill people, and turned it into a hunting sim, where you get to climb up identikit 3 story churches occassionally.

Worst game in the series by far.
    This. I forced myself to finish it as I'm pretty excited by black flag but god was it a slog. I found it picked up right at the end (hours in!) but if you're not invested in the series I'd advise anyone to spend their precious gaming time on something else.

For the emperor!

• andytheadequate 17 Sep 2013 18:34:32 8,268 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @FanBoysSuck - I'm really glad you quotes Ryan, apparently I had him (and others) on ignore!. I assume I must have accidentally pressed it some time...

There seems to be very little climbing, and the actual stealth isn't all that good
  • kentmonkey 17 Sep 2013 18:39:49 20,775 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    @FanBoysSuck - I'm really glad you quotes Ryan, apparently I had him (and others) on ignore!. I assume I must have accidentally pressed it some time...

There seems to be very little climbing, and the actual stealth isn't all that good
    The ignore-user 'feature' has been bugged for years now. Users will randomly crop up on mine that I haven't ignored. Some I've ignored come off. That's really fucking annoying.

actually, I don't remember seeing you post for ages!! :o)
  • RyanDS 17 Sep 2013 18:49:07 9,586 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:

I get the same thing quite often.

I am not sure whether it is a bug, or just mis clicks on my part. (It really should be like other forums where you get a "are you sure?" pop up.)
  • FanBoysSuck 18 Sep 2013 12:11:46 1,527 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @andytheadequate Glad to be of service ;)

Yeah it's not really about the parkour and assassinations any more, it's just a really empty openworld action game where you can climb small buildings.

The whole reason I'm excited about Black flag is that they seem to have gone back to the idea of doing missions your own way as well as lots of climbing, even if it is around random ruins. Also, more naval combat can only be a good thing!

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 12:16:22 18-09-2013

Edited by FanBoysSuck at 12:16:48 18-09-2013

For the emperor!

• Bremenacht 30 Sep 2013 18:03:23 18,738 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Assassin's Creed 3

Having got PS+, I thought I should give this a go, in spite of having the opinion that AC:R was rubbish and that the series is accelerating downhill. I lasted about 2 hours.

It really looks pretty good. The first section (in the Opera House) looked exquisite, with fine detailing to see everywhere. The whole scene was set up lovely, only for some stupid wall-climbing and running about. Why did they bother? To impress reviewers? It was like Mary Cakewoman making the most astonishingly intricate cake and then serving it by tipping a load of boiling hot tasteless custard over the top.

It got no better. Climbing is now pushing forward and holding X. That's it. Shoot people without aiming. Run from A to B and back again, for the plot equivalent of stirring the cakey/custardy mess around on your plate around a bit. Urgh.

I've read other people's views that it gets better. I doubt it gets better enough to justify the time that could be spent on better games.
  • TarickStonefire 30 Sep 2013 18:58:29 3,242 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Cave. Didn't even finish. All style, very little engagement.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• PrivateFloyd 3 Oct 2013 21:30:14 4,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I will likely get some shit for this but....

Grand Theft Auto 5

I won't blame it entirely on the game as I seem to be going through a bit of a meh stage with gaming ever since i completed The Last Of Us (sublime)

I just don't get on with all of the ancillary activities, and yes i know they are optional, but it really irks me how they saturate the game map. Which essentially leaves alot of drive here shoot this missions rinse and repeat.

Question: is it worth completing? I mean if I just blitz the main story missions will it be worth it?

Online could be fun, its just whether I have the time to play it, and as i am on psn without headset by options for communication are somewhat limited.

I have not been this torn about a game in a long time.

Goat is hungry.....

• ED209 3 Oct 2013 21:52:10 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @PrivateFloyd I actually agree with you regarding the single player. (Can't comment on MP for obvious reasons).

V has a good story, with likeable characters and a really good map, but I just feel like I've done it all before.

I used to think Vice City was the best because it was, and San Andreas was shit because I couldn't understand a fucking word anyone was saying and it was all too sparse, and IV was shit because it was boring shit with shit mini-games and shit conversations/accents that made me want to scoop out my pancreas with a teaspoon, cousin.

But as perfect as V is, I think for me it's just all played out. I've shot out tires/drivers/birds for over 100 hours already. I've headed for yellow/green/turquoise dots and ran away from flashing red/blue dots for years. I've flown planes into other planes/cars/pedestrians/non-destructible scenery ad infinitum.

In other words, "I'm getting too old for this shit".

Samantha Janus?

• PrivateFloyd 3 Oct 2013 22:02:50 4,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @ED209

put alot more eloquently than I ever could!

That's probably what it is, good old fashioned genre fatigue.

My mood to towards the game is also symptomatic of every other open world game I have played. I genuinely get overwhelmed by the choices given to me to the point I actually turn the bloody thing off!! The other GTA's, Skyrim, Saints Row(s), Sleeping Dogs. It's always the same. The only exception I can immediately think of is RDR.

On the flip side give me a game with a tight, linear narrative, The Last Of Us, Max Payne, Uncharted, Heavy Rain and I feel much more at home.

The tipping point for me was doing the umpteenth towing mission for Tanya. I just paused it and thought what the fuck am I doing. And then the pop ups telling me to download the iFruit app to my tablet so I could train Chop.

I may finish the main story, i feel it would be rude not too. It is as you say, perfect, just not perfect for me.

Goat is hungry.....

• Syrette 3 Oct 2013 22:12:13 43,772 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just don't get why you can't just ignore the optional stuff.

To be honest I dislike open world racing games for the reason you've given - too much to do, too overwhelming. But in GTA the main missions are well signposted and there's little to stop you from just getting a taxi to these missions and focusing completely on them.

Also seems a bit unfair to criticise GTA for being repetitive yet not call The Last of Us the same thing... I mean all you do in the latter is shoot things. With that said... you've said you prefer linearity and I appreciate that.

• ED209 3 Oct 2013 22:15:54 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's funny you should mention the towing mission, because that was also a point when I thought, this just isn't fun anymore. I expected something else to happen or it to be building to something, but after 3 or so variations it isn't. It is just literally towing cars from one place to another.

I actually thought Tonya said something to the effect that meant the missions were finished, but there she is waiting again. You can shoot her in the head, kill her and she still comes back (BTW Michael can't shoot his wife though for some reason, although I did 'die' on top of her and brought her down with me which made me chuckle).

So far the only new mechanic that expanded my attention for a minute was the petrol cans. But the stream burns out instantly so you can't get much fun from that. Shot a train driver in the head, but the train just keeps going. Continues chugging along, long after it's driving force has been extinguished. A suitable metaphor for the series itself if I was an utter ponce.

Samantha Janus?

• King_Edward 3 Oct 2013 22:17:22 11,454 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's not unfair at all.
  • Deleted user 3 October 2013 22:21:25
    RyanDS wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

I get the same thing quite often.

I am not sure whether it is a bug, or just mis clicks on my part. (It really should be like other forums where you get a "are you sure?" pop up.)
    Agreed, I think it is just hitting it by accident. It's happened to me too. There really needs to be a confirmation popup.
  • Syrette 3 Oct 2013 22:21:48 43,772 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Not only are the towing missions optional (it's a Strangers and Freaks thing isn't it?), they're introduced very early on in the game.

They're so insignificant that I'm surprised anyone is using them to bash or judge the game. They're not that bad if you ask me, they last like a minute or two each and the whole point of them is to allow you to buy the towing yard if you want to start earning some extra cash.

Edited by Syrette at 22:27:58 03-10-2013

• Deleted user 3 October 2013 22:25:36
    Yep, didn't mind them at all. Just some small, early little side missions. Found them OK to be honest, not very exciting, but playable enough and at least it was a bit of variety.

Plus, quite simply they are optional.

Edited by rumblesushi at 22:26:03 03-10-2013
  • ED209 3 Oct 2013 22:31:22 505 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Syrette They may be insignificant but they're no fun. And they set the scene that you're playing a game made by people that add in something that isn't fun. Possibly because of that I can't force myself to try the golf or the tennis (probably from memories of bowling etc).

I should be lapping it up and excited when things are unlocked. But it's a sandbox game where I can't be arsed even trying out the various attractions on offer*. I've spend more time on the ingame internet and watching the tv than anything! (I am getting old).

*actually the rollercoaster was surprisingly fun and I hope they do something more with that.

Samantha Janus?

• PrivateFloyd 3 Oct 2013 23:32:24 4,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Syrette

I can ignore it but it makes me feel like I'm missing out on the "full" experience, the narrative that is attached to these activities can sometimes be quite interesting/funny but;

1. If they are attached to activities/side missions that are by my definition boring then im going to miss out.
    2. There are that many of them I still get overwhelmed by it all!!!

I fully appreciate that for some people this game is nigh on perfect, a chance to fully immerse in a living, breathing world. Il be the first to tip my hat to Rockstar. I think I generally am a bit odd when it comes to open world games.

As I said, think Im going to just do the main story missions and see how I get on,

Goat is hungry.....

• Youthist 3 Oct 2013 23:50:45 10,027 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ED209 wrote: Shot a train driver in the head, but the train just keeps going. Continues chugging along, long after it's driving force has been extinguished. A suitable metaphor for the series itself if I was an utter ponce.
    If I was also an utter ponce I would find this both bang on, and funny.

Luckily for us both, I don't, and we aren't.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• hupper124 4 Oct 2013 03:46:13 7 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Here are a few on the endless "to do" list.

Mass Effect 3

Man, I love this series. I have countless hours spent on the first two, but with time for video games dwindling and my weird habit of only playing the hardest difficulty caused me to put a halt on this game. Even after hearing about the ending, I feel like I need to finish this monster.

Portal 2

What a great game. The difficulty on this can be pretty extreme. I wound up about 3/4ths of the way through the game before getting stuck. After spending 8 hours in one spot, I called it in on the game.

Zelda Windwaker

Believe it or not, cell shaded graphics are a personal favorite. This game was incredibly crisp and groundbreaking when I first played it. As all Zelda game are, this game is pretty lengthy. My console actually broke before finishing this one out (Complete shame).

Rand Hupper
    lilsoftkidswear

Edited by hupper124 at 03:47:02 04-10-2013
  • Mola_Ram 4 Oct 2013 05:09:14 7,699 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is that spam or not? I can't really tell.
  • kinky_mong 4 Oct 2013 11:09:11 10,451 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    As I said, think Im going to just do the main story missions and see how I get on,
    You should find it fun if you just concentrate on the main missions*, they're nice and varied this time rather than being mostly "drive here, kill them, drive back" like GTA4.

Some of the side missions are pretty good though, particularly the sky diving and rampages.

I do agree that the sandbox genre is over-saturated, but I think GTA5 is one of the better recent examples.

*Edit: Actually I've just remembered the "Shipping Yard Simulator" mission. I retract that statement and amend to it "You should find most of it fun"

Edited by kinky_mong at 11:15:34 04-10-2013

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Deleted user 4 October 2013 12:31:30
    One of the better recent examples? So what's the best recent example? :D
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2013 16:18:41 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Jak2: hover board sections are so shit I have had enough. Completely destroys everything great about the first game.
  • Telepathic.Geometry 6 Oct 2013 07:50:47 11,404 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PJM, please join my Jak II support group. /hugs

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• PazJohnMitch 6 Oct 2013 14:26:03 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am in. Jak 2 suddenly got very painful once the hoverboard was unlocked. Planting 6 bombs in 2 minutes broke me. I deleted it.
  • Raiko101 6 Oct 2013 14:58:33 6,434 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've never played the Jak games and this thread doesn't look like it'll remedy that.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• PazJohnMitch 6 Oct 2013 15:03:53 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Play the first one, it is ace. Do not play the second.
  • Page

of 145 First / Last