Recently-abandoned games Page 117

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• Doomspoon 13 Sep 2013 12:36:09 2,417 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs I gave up attempting to comprehend what was going on with the story after the opening act of MGS 2. Even ignoring the cutscenes, the game environment, sound samples, design etc so much of it I feel uncomfortable with. Part of me would like to go back to MGS 1, even Twin Snakes, but even back then some of it was uncomfortable to sit through. I think if I were to look at it now a lot more of it would be painful to witness.

So much of it irks me across all games in the series, the twee little boss names, the homo-eroticism,the sexualising of female characters, the voice acting, the talking down to the player and so forth. There was some really, really enjoyable gameplay in the first two games and some cool ideas but even playing the first one when it launched, I must have been about 23 at the time, I felt like I was being treated like a 12 year old by the game. The MGS series is one of the few that I really hope that nobody walks in on me playing.

Maybe it's a cultural thing and I just don't 'get' MGS and its 'Japeneseness', but I love certain anime, Ghost In The Shell, Akira, Appleseed, Patlabor, Sky Crawlers, Cowboy Bebop etc. so that wouldn't seem to be the case.

I've said it before elsewhere but I played the first two MGS games before the advent of Splinter Cell. I know the two games aren't really close in execution but Splinter Cell took the core gameplay elements that appealed and presented them in a more enjoyable, less intelligence insulting, pretentious and juvenile manner.

I've come to the conclusion, perhaps too late, that Hideo Kojima is a massive bellend.
  • Raiko101 13 Sep 2013 12:42:25 6,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This takes me back to Phantom Hourglass on the DS and trying to get Link to do a roll. I couldn't get it it work for ages, and then suddenly I stopped having problems with it.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• MatMan562 13 Sep 2013 12:43:01 2,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    bronzemedal wrote:
    Wondering if I should give up on Dead Space? Currently on chapter 6 and, whilst I've enjoyed the game, it's becoming a little samey. I don't get much gaming time and have to admit this game isn't a relaxing experience for me, so many jump scares, I'm really on edge playing it! What's the general consensus, worth sticking it out 'til the end?
    Dead Space is one of my favourite games so I'd definitely recommend sticking with it but I think it'll only get worse for you being on edge. The way I played it was to just do one chapter every month or two, maybe that would help you relax in between chapters so you're ready for the next one?

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• CosmicFuzz 13 Sep 2013 12:52:38 23,337 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A chapter every 2 months?! It's not that bad :D

Looking for a new gaming podcast to listen to? LOOK NO FURTHER!

• hypoBla5t 13 Sep 2013 12:53:56 1,363 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Play 2 instead if you haven't yet, it's even more awesome.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 13 Sep 2013 13:10:50 3,104 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Doomspoon Have you played 3 and 4 though? I've always found the little Japanese touches humorous, but I can understand if you have a problem with the women and homo erotic bits. They don't bother me, like yourself I've watched a few animes and there are much worse out there than MGS' pervy bits. I've never felt patronised though, in any sense whatsoever. The plot is much too intricate and nonsensical at times yes, but I'm also a Kingdom Hearts fan, and have an immunity to such things. If you can look past it, they're first rate stealth games, especially 3 with the survival aspects.

Edited by TheMayorOfJugs at 13:34:37 13-09-2013
  • bronzemedal 13 Sep 2013 13:47:16 36 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @MatMan562

Cheers, I'll stick with it. Something I did realise last night was that I had my TV brightness down way too low. Went into the game options and increased it from there. Being able to see helps with the fear a little!
  • MatMan562 13 Sep 2013 14:06:01 2,317 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    A chapter every 2 months?! It's not that bad :D
    No, I know, but for some reason, that's how I played the game. I never felt in a rush to play the next chapter even though I loved the game. I still don't know why :confused:

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• Doomspoon 13 Sep 2013 15:05:33 2,417 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs I finished the first two several times, abandoned the third not far in and the fourth I've just been playing. as per my previous post saying I'm abandoning it.

Some of the humour in the first games was genuinely amusing, using the cardboard box for the first time, falling over in seagull crap etc. I'm struggling to explain quite what it is about the whole package that bothers me.

I read comics, watch anime, like 90s superhero cartoons like Batman, Spider-man, X-Men etc. In that respect I don't have issue with fantastical elements in fiction, in the latter examples they don't try to come across as anything other than family entertainment but on occasion have more depth to them. Even in those cases I never liked the twee villains that were one dimensional but could take them at face value in a kids' representation. I wouldn't expect to see the Joker in the cartoon behaving like he is in the Killing Joke graphic novel or Heath Ledger did in the recent film.

Perhaps if the game was stripped of its 'adult' (said in the loosest of terms) elements, didn't have the pervy bits and removed the stupid, nonsensical story I could live with it. The gameplay, when I'm allowed to partake in it is mostly enjoyable.

I felt my intelligence was insulted even in the last stretch of act 2. Where Raiden explains to Snake about tracking Naomi. I can't recall the exact words but it goes along the lines that he's explaining sound of the NVG, wind direction, smells etc to Snake who's supposed to be this hardened veteran. I can understand the need to explain to the player how these are factors but having Raiden breaking the fourth wall to explain it vocally annoyed me. I'd have rather a quick pop up summarised it all. If I'm to connect in any way, to have anything to hold on to that's supposed to be believable in any shape or form then don't do this. It might be Kojima's thing he likes to do but I really can't stand it. It's painful to listen to. Yeah I could skip it, part of the problem is in the majority of games I actually want to watch and listen to them as intended.

This is at odds with all the La-Li-wtfing-Lo bollox that even though I played previous games I stopped paying any attention at that point, yet equipment or common acronyms known to anyone that plays pretty much any other game with the slightest of modern military setting to it are regularly explained. Not specifically the ones used but it might be something like "use the IR (Infra Red) mode on you NVG (night vision goggles)" etc. Yes, anyone that has ever owned a remote control knows what at least half of that means.

Pretty much every time someone speaks in a Metal Gear Solid game it sends a shudder down my spine (in a bad way) and makes me want to stab knitting needles into my eardrums, this isn't unique to these games, I have the same issue with anime dubs too. I'd probably find having the audio in Japanese a lot easier to cope with.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 13 Sep 2013 15:17:57 3,104 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Doomspoon Yes of course, I derped. The gameplay doesn't outweigh the slog of the cutscenes for you. I agree that sometimes when Snake or Otacon explains somwthing it can seem patronising or ott in it's depth or the tone of voice used but.... It's hardly meant to be taken so seriously as an insult? :-D idk, I just take that as part of the charm, in a so-bad-it's-good kind of way. Kojima is full of himself, everyone knows it.... He's self-indulgent for sure. But the campness is part of the experience. Maybe.... It's gotten too much for you.... I feel like a surgeon losing a patient when I can't convince someone not to give up on a game I love :-(
  • Doomspoon 13 Sep 2013 15:33:25 2,417 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @TheMayorOfJugs I tried, even beyond the point I was initially going to give up. The PS3 is connected to a shared TV and my use on it is restricted by when that TV becomes available. Meanwhile I have a horrendous backlog of games on PC and 360. I've given it around 6 hours of my time, even played some of it during so ;) but I really can't take it anymore.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 13 Sep 2013 15:39:34 3,104 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @Doomspoon If your gaming time is limited, you need explain yourself to no one, fair spoonington. Play only what you love, make sweet, sweet gaming memories in the little time alotted you. Your efforts, though fruitless, are valued all the same.
  • Paulie_P 15 Sep 2013 21:51:05 411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomb Raider: The Last Guardian
    Got this a while ago on PS+. A bit sad to let this one go but with the PS4 looming, I'm having to be a bit ruthless with the games I'm playing.

I was enjoying it a bit but as I was playing it, there were other games I wanted to play more. I don't get a lot of time for console gaming with two/three kids, playing this was keeping me from Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 and Saints Row 3.

It was an ok game but sometimes the isometric camera angle could obscure Lara and several times in the swamp, I got killed wandering off the side of the stage as it wasn't too clear.

It was fun for score and time attacks though and had some decent puzzles. I didn't get to try co-op because there was never a game online and I have no gaming friends (kids are too young for this). Very frustrating to miss those co-op achievements.

7/10
  • andytheadequate 15 Sep 2013 22:23:50 8,083 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I gave up on Telltale's Monkey Island (episode 4) and Sam and Max (episode 2) last night. The puzzles aren't great and the humour completely misses the mark. It's more of a fan service to the originals rather than a sequel. They're like an annoying fan quoting and referencing from their favourite films constantly; incredibly irritating and unfunny.

Luckily, I didn't pay much for them.

I also gave up on Ridge Racer Driftopia. It's exactly the same tracks and gameplay as Unbounded (which i enjoyed), but with an incredibly annoying and grindy f2p mechanic. Might as well just reinstall the full game.
  • Raiko101 16 Sep 2013 00:45:24 6,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it really called Driftopia? That's got to be the worstorific name for a game i've heard all year.

• andytheadequate 16 Sep 2013 02:54:32 8,083 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiko101 wrote:
    Is it really called Driftopia? That's got to be the worstorific name for a game i've heard all year.
    Indeed. Unbounded wasn't a great name, but Driftopia is dreadful
  • PazJohnMitch 16 Sep 2013 03:15:55 7,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think "worstorific" is somewhat self defining.
  • damagedinc 16 Sep 2013 05:20:49 692 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dead Space 3

I abandoned thia a few weeks ago, i have picked it up again to try and get to the end but its a shame what they have done to this game. I loved the first two and appreciate the franchise has never been the most pure survival horror but there are two thingw which make this game a mis fire above all else.

Universal ammo....throws inventory management out the window.

The sheer number of necromorphs thrown at you. I find on many occassions i am just firing my plasma cutter like an assault rifle running to one end of the room turning round and spamming the trigger...rince repeat.

Time for dead space to be laid to rest.
  • Rens11 16 Sep 2013 11:10:09 1,389 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree about the universal ammo, found it discourages you from trying other weapons and with only 2 weapons in your inventory anyway I ended up using the plasma cutter 90% of the time. Although not as good as the first 2 its still worth finishing, wouldn't mind a sequel if they went back to survival horror

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• Raiko101 16 Sep 2013 12:16:53 6,089 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @PazJohnMitch I was trying to be funny. :(

Edited by Raiko101 at 12:17:07 16-09-2013

• PazJohnMitch 16 Sep 2013 14:16:39 7,830 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Raiko101 Sorry
  • Murbal 17 Sep 2013 13:52:51 21,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Latest Sly game on Vita. I think I've just had it with 3D platformers in general having recently given up on Jak & Daxter HD too.
  • imamazed 17 Sep 2013 14:04:13 5,524 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Murbal wrote:
    Latest Sly game on Vita. I think I've just had it with 3D platformers in general having recently given up on Jak & Daxter HD too.
    hmmm, I'm plodding through this atm, and am constantly tempted to just 'llow it. I've only played Sly 1 before, but that just felt so much more...fun. Where did you abandon it? I think I'll struggle on for a bit.
  • nickthegun 17 Sep 2013 14:12:24 58,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It doesnt help that its a terrible port. The first game looks worse than the PS2 version.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• imamazed 17 Sep 2013 14:19:11 5,524 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It looks fine to me, just isn't much fun.
  • Murbal 17 Sep 2013 15:14:29 21,941 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Sly bits are ok but I'm not interested in playing the others. Didn't make much progress at all and it's been months since I played it - no compulsion to return.
  • oceanmotion 17 Sep 2013 15:48:11 15,665 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Paulie_P wrote:
    Tomb Raider: The Last Guardian
    Got this a while ago on PS+. A bit sad to let this one go but with the PS4 looming, I'm having to be a bit ruthless with the games I'm playing.

I was enjoying it a bit but as I was playing it, there were other games I wanted to play more. I don't get a lot of time for console gaming with two/three kids, playing this was keeping me from Rayman Legends, Pikmin 3 and Saints Row 3.

It was an ok game but sometimes the isometric camera angle could obscure Lara and several times in the swamp, I got killed wandering off the side of the stage as it wasn't too clear.

It was fun for score and time attacks though and had some decent puzzles. I didn't get to try co-op because there was never a game online and I have no gaming friends (kids are too young for this). Very frustrating to miss those co-op achievements.

7/10
    I'm guessing you mean Lara Croft Guardian of Light :D

Co-op was okay, just a little team work here and there, nothing drastically different, jumps and ropes bridges, switches etc.

Loved it. Hope they do a sequel.
  • Paulie_P 17 Sep 2013 17:20:40 411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @oceanmotion yup that would be the one! :)
  • Paulie_P 17 Sep 2013 17:20:41 411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Paulie_P 17 Sep 2013 17:20:43 411 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • Page

of 141 First / Last