Recently-abandoned games Page 116

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• Bremenacht 7 Sep 2013 22:43:57 18,275 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Its not the best game to unwind with.
    Ha ha! You're right, it is not. Trying to 'squeeze in 10 minutes of DS before going to bed' is also a recipe for disaster, tension and lack of sleep.
  • Kay 7 Sep 2013 22:44:08 17,888 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Souls is one of my games of the generation, even if it does often go out of its way to be as annoyingly obtuse as possible.

If it helps, I semi-abandoned the game when I was around 60% through, when I got stuck in an area that I found extremely irritating. Went back a few months later to finish it all off (and promptly start a NG+). So don't worry about leaving it for a while, chances are you will be drawn to it again!
  • Gunzberg 7 Sep 2013 23:14:23 1,732 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I will also admit that to get through Dark Souls I shamelessly exploited the Forest Souls glitch where the NPCs kill themselves and teamed up with other players on bosses as often as I could

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• SparkyMarky81 7 Sep 2013 23:17:43 565 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I had two month-long breaks from Dark Souls on my way to finishing it. I found it helped and I'd breeze through the areas that were stumping me when I went back to them after a little hiatus. As frustrating as the game can be, frustration is the worst thing that can happen when playing Dark Souls for the first time as it makes you rush and get careless.

Edited by SparkyMarky81 at 23:18:09 07-09-2013
  • Pinky_Floyd 7 Sep 2013 23:27:04 7,907 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I packed it in at Tomb Of The Giants.  Such a wonderfully designed game overall.  That level?  Not so much.  I had fun with Dark Souls even when it was kicking my ass.  In that level, all the fun left as did the desire to continue, so I turned it off and went and played something fun instead.  Never went back, never will go back.
  • Rodney 8 Sep 2013 00:41:59 1,895 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Dark Souls is one of my games of the generation, even if it does often go out of its way to be as annoyingly obtuse as possible.

If it helps, I semi-abandoned the game when I was around 60% through, when I got stuck in an area that I found extremely irritating. Went back a few months later to finish it all off (and promptly start a NG+). So don't worry about leaving it for a while, chances are you will be drawn to it again!
    There's so much of the game I never learnt. I never summoned any NPCs
  • PazJohnMitch 8 Sep 2013 00:49:53 8,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pretty certain I went into the forest before Sen's Fortress. Not sure if I was supposed to or not. Those lizards only took me 4 hits not 20. (Although I played it as a high strength / low agility build).
  • Telepathic.Geometry 8 Sep 2013 12:17:34 11,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Pink: there are a few ways to light up the Tombs. It's actually not that bad as long as you have light. Plus, there's a familiar face from Demon's down there...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• Deleted user 8 September 2013 12:37:04
    Killer Is Dead

The characters and story were nowhere near as interesting as NMH or Killer7 with very little to define them. The gameplay is pretty rubbish after the likes of DMC and its constant screen tearing made me feel a little nauseous at times. Not even worth a look at a bargain bin price.

The Bureau

While I enjoyed the first few levels it just isn't as appealing as Enemy Unknown. I really liked the era and art design but the game was just a little boring is all and the A.I was fairly useless at times.
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Sep 2013 18:10:40 1,770 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spec ops the line

Really liked the banter between characters nd interesting setting which makes a great change from the usual locations. I have also heard the story is really good but I'll never find out.

The combat is really poor and dull. The weapons have no weight or presence. The AI is some of the worst I have ever seen. Enermies literally standing out in the open directly in front of me! Game falls into a rhythm of chatting exposition then enemy runs into locked area and takes position. It's then basically a shooting gallery until you kill everything or pop your head up for 2 seconds and then you are dead.

Graphics and very poor animations, particularly the explosions, along with the other problems make this feel like a very low budget game. There isn't anything wrong with low budget but in this case feels like they attempted way more than they had the skill or resources to achieve.

Got it as a psn+ title so at least no money wasted on this!

Mafia 2

Another psn+ title. Again pretty much the same issues as with the other title in that it feels very cheap and unpolished. The combat is horribly clunky and animation poor. After characters speak to you they stand there like manikins doing nothing. Again probably a good story in here but lack of polish spoils it.
  • monkehhh 8 Sep 2013 18:16:48 3,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob Best of Spec Ops is the bit with Mogwai's Glasgow Mega Snake and the end.
  • wobbly_Bob 8 Sep 2013 18:54:17 1,770 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @monkehhh

... OK lol doesn't sound like I'm missing much :)
  • Kostabi 8 Sep 2013 20:03:55 4,928 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Max Payne 3

I ditched it last week after having it sit in my Steam collection for ages. The shooting is fun but the ratio between shooting and cut scene is way, way off. Especially as the cut scenes are painfully dull for the most part.
  • monkehhh 8 Sep 2013 21:34:59 3,322 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @wobbly_Bob It does try something different, it just doesn't hit the bullseye. The Mogwai moment (think you're in a big indoor arena fighting through the levels) is excellent though and you get some choices at the end :)

You could just YouTube it!

Edited by monkehhh at 21:36:54 08-09-2013
  • Gunzberg 8 Sep 2013 21:48:59 1,732 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pinky_Floyd wrote:
    I packed it in at Tomb Of The Giants.  Such a wonderfully designed game overall.  That level?  Not so much.  I had fun with Dark Souls even when it was kicking my ass.  In that level, all the fun left as did the desire to continue, so I turned it off and went and played something fun instead.  Never went back, never will go back.
    Tomb of the Giants was the only level where I did not explore everything. I ran through most of it just to be over as quickly as possible and I thanked heaven when I beat the lvl boss first time meaning I could dump that area forever

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Doomspoon 10 Sep 2013 02:51:12 2,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Thinking of giving up on MGS 4. I've never been a fan of the tedious, nonsensical narrative and painful dialogue. I really liked the gameplay of the first two but the third left me cold. I've always felt embarrassed as I play them and concerned that someone might walk in on me.

I've made it as far as just past octopus gimp mask woman boss, her name I didn't take in because I'm sick of your nonsense Kojima. I did see the bit where her arse and crotch were centre screen, not sure if this is because she talks out of the former? I'm guessing Kojima does.

Mainly though I'm sick of the pointless nonsense in the cut scenes that I'm reluctant to skip in case someone explains in a mature and sensible manner just what's going on.

I borrowed it in the hope it might be something more like the original MGS but with shinier graphics, forgetting just how bad the cut scenes and dialogue were in previous games. Did he always have all the forced pervy camera angles and I was just too young and single to notice?

I'm going to give myself one more hour on it, hoping there's some fun gameplay without boring, nonsensical waffle or pervy shit if not it can full on fuck off.
  • Paulie_P 10 Sep 2013 05:44:41 415 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Doomspoon This. I'm playing through MGS3 again at the minute and I'm cringing at every cut scene (are we meant to be laughing at the ridiculousness of Revolver Ocelot or supposed to think its cool? And the scenes with Eve are just gratuitous).

If you're nostalgic, play through the first part of the 4th chapter.
  • MadCaddy13 10 Sep 2013 07:45:53 1,927 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I abandoned Persona 4 and stuck it on eBay because I thought it was so... Crap! But a day later I stuck it on again and understood it a bit more now I'm liking it. Stick at it!
  • Cacoethesludum 10 Sep 2013 08:11:01 16 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    As much as I wanted to love it like a puppy I've decided that Ni No Kuni just isn't for me. Nothing wrong with the game...amazing to look at and I'm sure the JRPG mechanics are all spot on but it just isn't my cup of tea. Often feel this way with RPG's I imagine playing and enjoying playing them but the reality is that I just never seem to engage. Next stop Diablo 3! ;)
  • Telepathic.Geometry 10 Sep 2013 08:50:24 11,324 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I completely understand. I gave up on Ni no Kuni ages ago. I'll finish it off one day, but it's just too fucking slow and unnecessarily lengthy for my liking. Most JRPGs are though. I love them for everything else, but that one stain is enough to taint them all for me...

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• welshben23 10 Sep 2013 12:11:24 1,084 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wobbly_Bob wrote:
    Mafia 2

Another psn+ title. Again pretty much the same issues as with the other title in that it feels very cheap and unpolished. The combat is horribly clunky and animation poor. After characters speak to you they stand there like manikins doing nothing. Again probably a good story in here but lack of polish spoils it.
    I think we've found the only person that agrees with EG's 4/10 review. :)
  • PazJohnMitch 10 Sep 2013 12:14:27 8,058 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Telepathic.Geometry wrote:
    I completely understand. I gave up on Ni no Kuni ages ago. I'll finish it off one day, but it's just too fucking slow and unnecessarily lengthy for my liking. Most JRPGs are though. I love them for everything else, but that one stain is enough to taint them all for me...
    Same here. I love JRPGs but there are very few games in the genre that I have not annoyed with before the end. They also seem to be universally tedious at the 90% point. (Sadly many have also achieved tedium long before this).
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 07:40:19
    Goldeneye 007: Reloaded (PS3)

Blasted through 96%/97% of the game in no time only to be faced with a stupid bit at the end. I've now traded the game in, and watched the finnal 4%/3% on YouTube. By the looks of things I missed out on more frustration and an end sequence not worth mentioning. For the most part, the game was really quite ok, except the dumb tank level, the less said about that the better.

Edited by blacksea at 07:40:44 13-09-2013
  • Doomspoon 13 Sep 2013 10:12:29 2,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I played a little more of MGS 4 up until the end of act 2 and couldn't take anymore. To play any further I'd require a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy style MGS appreciation chair. Life's way too short to be bombarded with that gibberish.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 13 Sep 2013 10:20:32 3,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Doomspoon wrote:
    I played a little more of MGS 4 up until the end of act 2 and couldn't take anymore. To play any further I'd require a Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy style MGS appreciation chair. Life's way too short to be bombarded with that gibberish.
    There's no need to attempt comprehension of MGS' story, you just need to enjoy the gameplay, get the general gist of what's happening and ignore the detailed mumbo jumbo cutscenes.
  • Short-Round 13 Sep 2013 10:46:31 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)

Putting this back in the pile after only 20 minutes. The game keeps failing to recognise touch screen inputs correctly, even simple ones like swipe left/right, so it keeps failing me.
  • bronzemedal 13 Sep 2013 10:48:00 36 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wondering if I should give up on Dead Space? Currently on chapter 6 and, whilst I've enjoyed the game, it's becoming a little samey. I don't get much gaming time and have to admit this game isn't a relaxing experience for me, so many jump scares, I'm really on edge playing it! What's the general consensus, worth sticking it out 'til the end?

Recently given up on two PSP games (both played on Vita) :

Loco Roco 2

Was OK, but did about six stages and there didn't seem to be any increase in challenge. Good audio and nice graphics, not sure it's worth the time though.

Prince of Persia: Rival Swords

Controls were awful, verging on unplayable, lasted about 20 minutes. Also the prince has seemingly become an unbearable douche (I liked him in Sands of Time/Forgotten Sands), he seems to have become some kind of all-American hero.

I've put Animal Crossing on hold for a while too, need a break ... might pick it up again in Winter.
  • imamazed 13 Sep 2013 10:52:36 5,621 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Short-Round wrote:
    Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure (3DS)

Putting this back in the pile after only 20 minutes. The game keeps failing to recognise touch screen inputs correctly, even simple ones like swipe left/right, so it keeps failing me.
    Really?

I completed it fine just using my fingers, no stylus!

I only really had trouble with the robot attacks, but that was only because they were, well, much more difficult than the rest of the game.
  • Short-Round 13 Sep 2013 11:19:09 1,181 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @imamazed

You didn't use the stylus? Basically the game keeps failing to register simple inputs, even though the touch screen gives me a visual representation that I'm doing the correct gesture (it shows a sparkly trail wherever you touch the screen). Might try it again without the stylus then.
  • imamazed 13 Sep 2013 11:27:30 5,621 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Short-Round I only didn't use the stylus because I lost mine ages ago. Try it without, but it doesn't sound like that will help in your case. I dunno, have you tried recalibrating the touchscreen?
  • Page

of 144 First / Last