Recently-abandoned games Page 115

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• Ashleyfiddes 6 Sep 2013 13:17:20 980 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    God yeah they proper fucked me off, you know the worst bit I got passed them order time and didn't bother to check for a bonfire, took another twenty times to get back past um :(
  • TarickStonefire 6 Sep 2013 13:18:07 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Papers Please. I did the first few days but after a while the slog of trying to fight the annoyingly fiddly UI and get even a few people processed before the clock runs out stops being entertaining and stops delivering any kind of 'message' and just gets frustrating.

I get it. But deleted.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• TarickStonefire 6 Sep 2013 13:19:56 3,091 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    God yeah they proper fucked me off, you know the worst bit I got passed them order time and didn't bother to check for a bonfire, took another twenty times to get back past um :(
    God yeah they proper fucked me off. You know, the worst bit was I got past them [all the]/[the other] time and didn't bother to check for a bonfire, took another twenty times to get back past them.

There you go.

Any Netflix library in the world for a couple of quid a month? Gimme!

• Mola_Ram 6 Sep 2013 13:21:26 7,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    I don't think it helps that now the enemies are fought it takes about 20 strike to kill them (referring to the fucking lizzard things) which gets a bit tedious
    There's a good lightning weapon in Sen's Fortress which makes short work of them (and most other enemies for a while). Stick with it because the next area will be worth it.
    Fatty & Skinny will probably make him quit again though.
    Nah, it'll be the archers, fucking archer cunts
    Or dying at the top of Sen's without finding the hidden bonfire. Which, to be fair, is really going a bit far in punishing the player. It's massively unfair.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:26:16 06-09-2013
  • xXJippedXx 6 Sep 2013 13:25:16 354 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Max Payne 3, I might be in the minority but I actually quite like the story but the actual game play is janky as ****! the character insists on being in combat mode when I'm traversing the level resulting in the weirdest most infuriating 'anti run' mechanic ever and then holstering his gun as soon as combat actually kicks in again.

The aiming also feels really clunky and just not very responsive at all especially when enemies get close to you.

xXJippedXx... on EVERYTHING!

• DFawkes 6 Sep 2013 13:25:42 22,953 posts
    Seen 30 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    What boss disables your augs in DE:HR? I can't remember that bit at all. It's still relatively fresh in my mind too as I only just finished it last month.

Edited by DFawkes at 13:26:19 06-09-2013

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Mola_Ram 6 Sep 2013 13:27:40 7,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    What boss disables your augs in DE:HR? I can't remember that bit at all. It's still relatively fresh in my mind too as I only just finished it last month.
    The boss in the room with all the statues. But it only happens if you accepted the new chip (or something) for your augs in Hengsha.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:35:00 06-09-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Sep 2013 13:32:41 8,044 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodney

Just in case you decide to continue there is a hidden bonfire at the top of the fortress. Once you get to the roof look for a broken wall on your right.
  • Ashleyfiddes 6 Sep 2013 13:33:28 980 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TarickStonefire wrote:
    Ashleyfiddes wrote:
    God yeah they proper fucked me off. You know, the worst bit was I got past them [all the]/[the other] time and didn't bother to check for a bonfire, took another twenty times to get back past them.

There you go.
    Close, my fat fingers need a new phone I think

God yeah they proper fucked me off, you know the worst bit was I got passed them first time and didn't bother to check for a bonfire, took another twenty times to get back past them.
  • robc84 6 Sep 2013 13:41:03 5,602 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    DFawkes wrote:
    The boss in the room with all the statues. But it only happens if you accepted the new chip (or something) for your augs in Hengsha.
    This was where I abandoned DE:HR.

I never really got on with it anyway tbh. I can see why people would like, but I just found it a bit boring most of the time.

Part of me does wish I just stuck with it as I know it was near the end. But I just couldn't get past that boss with no Augs!
  • kinky_mong 6 Sep 2013 13:45:41 10,274 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    kinky_mong wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    I don't think it helps that now the enemies are fought it takes about 20 strike to kill them (referring to the fucking lizzard things) which gets a bit tedious
    There's a good lightning weapon in Sen's Fortress which makes short work of them (and most other enemies for a while). Stick with it because the next area will be worth it.
    Fatty & Skinny will probably make him quit again though.
    Nah, it'll be the archers, fucking archer cunts
    You are both correct. I rage quit for a while thanks to S&O. Eventually beat them with a friend's help and really should go back and finish the rest of the game.

All the eurogamers who actually play with each other on xbl rather than just post pseudointellectual pc handwringing bollocks on the forums, love the shit out of biggy.

• Rodney 6 Sep 2013 14:09:49 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I sorted through my pile of shame and nothing grabbed so I went and had another go at Dark Souls. Got the hang of the Lizard men but I'm finding it hard to judge the swinging axes. Upgraded my shield to 120 physical defence which seems alright.
  • Armoured_Bear 6 Sep 2013 14:56:05 11,109 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I sorted through my pile of shame and nothing grabbed so I went and had another go at Dark Souls. Got the hang of the Lizard men but I'm finding it hard to judge the swinging axes. Upgraded my shield to 120 physical defence which seems alright.
    Go into teh Dark Souls thread and ask for tips, it's very helpful.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Rodney 7 Sep 2013 14:08:34 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dark Souls. For real this time. I've deleted it to avoid the temptation of going back to it.

I got stuck on Sen's Fortress. Avoiding the swinging axes while being shot at with electricy was too frustrating. This area seemed very trial and error as well which is okay but having to fight the same enemies again and again (who take ages to die) just to get a tiny bit further than my last attempt got very tedious (then I'd rush it and do even worse)

The last two nights I've been stuck repeating the same 10 minutes of game play for about 2 hours. If there are more frustrating sections later in the game I may as well just quit now. I'm not enjoying it anymore.

I got a lit of enjoyment out of it but ultimately this game wasn't for me. I just font have the gaming time for it.

I'm curious though, how far into the game was I? 10%, 20%?
  • Mr_Sleep 7 Sep 2013 14:20:09 17,062 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    I'd say around the 20% mark yeah, there's still six or seven zones that you haven't been to at that point.

You are a factory of sadness.

• PazJohnMitch 7 Sep 2013 14:22:51 8,044 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    30%
  • Ashleyfiddes 7 Sep 2013 14:28:11 980 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Really I thought I was at least 60% done when I got The Lord vessel
  • Mola_Ram 7 Sep 2013 14:30:14 7,386 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I reckon he would have been about a third done. I'm amazed that he got that far. For me, Blighttown was far more annoying than anything in Sen's Fortress.
  • xYOSSARIANx 7 Sep 2013 16:31:04 127 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Xcom Declassified

Terrible story, horrible characters, awful combat.

I gave up after the mission where you go looking for Agent Angela Weaver.

PSN ReggieMcMuffin

• RedSparrows 7 Sep 2013 16:36:30 22,646 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Dark Souls. For real this time. I've deleted it to avoid the temptation of going back to it.

I got stuck on Sen's Fortress. Avoiding the swinging axes while being shot at with electricy was too frustrating. This area seemed very trial and error as well which is okay but having to fight the same enemies again and again (who take ages to die) just to get a tiny bit further than my last attempt got very tedious (then I'd rush it and do even worse)

The last two nights I've been stuck repeating the same 10 minutes of game play for about 2 hours. If there are more frustrating sections later in the game I may as well just quit now. I'm not enjoying it anymore.

I got a lit of enjoyment out of it but ultimately this game wasn't for me. I just font have the gaming time for it.

I've given up there too, but I am going to try again - this afternoon even.

Despite the absurd amount of wank that Dark Souls attracts, like a hype magnet, too many people who have good taste have said I should persevere, so I shall.
  • Gunzberg 7 Sep 2013 18:20:25 1,732 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Do try. If a guy like me can make it through Dark Souls and beat it so can you!

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Rodney 7 Sep 2013 21:32:28 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I reckon he would have been about a third done. I'm amazed that he got that far. For me, Blighttown was far more annoying than anything in Sen's Fortress.
    That's surprising. I breezed through Blighttown. The snipers were mildly frustrating but once you know where they are they aren't too bad.

interesting to know I was 90% in. Its a long game! At the rate I was going it would have taken me 90 hours to complete. Its a shameI didn't get further, I loved the exploration and combat but I just don't have the patience to get past the difficulty spikes.

Edited by Rodney at 21:33:06 07-09-2013
  • Bremenacht 7 Sep 2013 22:07:26 18,222 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That game had me soooo frustrated. So much went wrong. Things I expected to happen didn't. I did everything in what turned out to be the wrong order, buggering up every little 'plot' element there was to influence. I avoided playing it for a while. It was all worth it. The delight at overcoming obstacles and working out how to beat the next boss is immense. Especially the last boss, given the technique you need to use. A big dash of irony there, for me. It also helped me to go back and do Demon's Souls, which is an even more obtuse game.

The reward for getting for getting through Sens is worth it - a vista to marvel at. It's not too hard to get through either, if you take care and avoid risk. If you must give up, give up when speared for the 20th time by one of the later bosses.
  • Rodney 7 Sep 2013 22:12:38 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe I just need a break from it. I've never rage quitted and been such a drama queen about a game so much. I think part of the problem is I only get about of game time every couple of days so I like to make some progress in that time. Repeating the same section again
  • Rodney 7 Sep 2013 22:14:10 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe I just need a break from it. I've never rage quitted and been such a drama queen about a game so much. And its always the same, the next day I have an urge to go back to it. I think part of the problem is I only get about an hour of game time every couple of days so I like to make some progress in that time. That's not always possible with this game
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Sep 2013 22:20:57 4,126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rodney

I think you've done well to get as far as you have, given that you've a heap of 'real world' stuff on the go.

When I played through it, it was frequent, I was working part time, footloose and fancy free, so I could afford to sink silly hours of the day into it.

If I had limited gaming time there was not a hope of me choosing that to "unwind"!
  • Deleted user 7 September 2013 22:23:42
    @Rodney it's worth it. Honestly. I've never played a game like it. It gets hold of you.

But it's nails. I had a lot of help my first playthrough, and don't know how I would have managed otherwise. (see page 777 to, well, the next 40 odd in the dark soul thread to see all my questions!!!) but I'm so glad I kept at it.
  • Rodney 7 Sep 2013 22:25:22 1,892 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its not the best game to unwind with.
  • FuzzyDuck 7 Sep 2013 22:34:21 4,126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ah, the ol' Dark Souls thread. My numerous playthroughs kept me glued to that thread :D

It's an experience, it's an amazing universe, a true journey (in terms of what the media is capable of) and one of my top games of this generation, but something to unwind to it is not.

You gave it a fair backstab - you've abandoned it a lot further in than most people (I know at least three people who didn't make it out of the Undead Burg, and another who chucked it at the Undead Parish), but it's something that requires real time and dedication, which is something not everyone can give to a videogame.
  • Deleted user 7 September 2013 22:43:28
    Actually. After a while it IS the best game to unwind with. But not the first playthrough, no.
  • Page

of 144 First / Last