Recently-abandoned games Page 105

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• Humperfunk 29 Jul 2013 15:54:57 2,242 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @ZizouFC

I almost don't want to say, let's just say I'm basically at the beginning!

(I have done at least three levels though!)

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• Zizoo 29 Jul 2013 16:04:46 8,374 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    YouTube sometimes helps. Got me past a level I was stuck on, other than that I d experiment with different masks. Once I had the wolf and horse mask I was getting A rankings on stages I struggled to finish previously. :)
  • Rhaegyr 29 Jul 2013 17:04:04 1,689 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aquaria (PC)

Got it in the latest Humble Bundle and it's just failed to sustain my interest. I love metroidvania games and this does share a lot of the same traits, yet I can't help feeling bored by the amount of exploration involved (even though the art style and music are great).

I think the lack of puzzles and a questionable control system really hold this one back (along with a ton of new games bought in the Steam Sale, dying to be played).
  • Raiko101 29 Jul 2013 17:19:57 6,304 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I always find you don't appreciate games as much when you've got a backlog of them staring at you. I've chosen to ignore my steam library for the time being and just focus on what I have on the shelves.

3DS: 4210 4002 8289 (Dave)
    Wii U: Raiko87
    Xbox Live: Raiko87

• PazJohnMitch 30 Jul 2013 11:53:14 8,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tend to enjoy gaming most when I am out of the country and have take a console with me.

7 months in China with a PS2 and a limited number of games a few years back was gaming Nirvana. Played and completed:
    FFXII
    Bully
    Rogue Galaxy
    God of War 2
    Ratchet and Clank 3
    Disgaea 2
    and was working through DMC3 when I came back. Obviously the pull of a 360 meant I never actually finished DMC3.

Doing the same again now (albeit with a PS3, Wii, 3DS and Vita. So choice is less limited). But still having only 20 games with me instead of 200 focusses me somewhat.

Already completed Tomb Raider but I am going to focus on the Wii.
    Currently Un-abandoned Xenoblade Chronicles and I am now enjoying it a lot.

Also have Skyward Sword, Super Paper Mario, Okami and Monster Hunter 3 lined up for second or even 3rd chances (Okami) once Xenoblade is finished.
  • Rhaegyr 1 Aug 2013 13:22:18 1,689 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Xenoblade Chronicles is the best JRPG I've ever played - better than Skies of Arcadia, Grandia I & II, FFVI, The World Ends With You, Chrono Trigger and countless others I've played and loved.

Really can't sing its praises enough - loved every minute of it.
  • andytheadequate 1 Aug 2013 13:33:57 8,169 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    Hotline Miami

It's absolutely great, but I'm terrible at it and cannot progress any further :(
    I was like that, nearly gave up after level 3 because I wasn't getting anywhere, but went back to it and managed it. Haven't brought myself round to playing anymore as it was such a stressful and intense game. Still, it's pretty brilliant, and I imagine the score attack modes are amazing when you get good at the game
  • Zomoniac 1 Aug 2013 13:33:58 7,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Darksiders (PS3)
    Played three or four hours, fun enough, but it's just a watered down God Of War, and not good enough to justify putting more time into when the backlog is so big.

I suspect Animal Crossing will be next on the list. 72 hours and fatigue is hitting hard now. Starting to feel more like a chore than a game.
  • oconnomiyaki 1 Aug 2013 13:53:52 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I've got pneumonia at the moment, so I'm doing some heavy gaming to try and clear my backlog. I want to go into next-gen free and without getting into that situation again. So I'm doing the 90-minute challenge: if a game doesn't captivate me within 90 minutes, I'm abandoning it and moving on. Current fallen:

Goldeneye Reloaded. CoD Lite that's missing all the spectacle that makes CoD enjoyable (or bearable, if you're like that).

Blood Dragon. Found the gameplay to plodding and doddering. Once the novelty of the 80s pastiche wears off... Well let's just say I found Colonial Marines more fun.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Don't get the fuss about this game at all. Theme tune is nice, though.

Unit 13. Barely gave me reason to finish the tutorial.

Vanquish is up next, and Kingdoms of Amalur is hanging by a thread -- although I think that could be because I binged on Skyrim for 80 hours in a week, so I'm a bit burned out by the genre.
  • andytheadequate 1 Aug 2013 14:21:11 8,169 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @oconnomiyaki - A good idea for some games (90 minutes is more than enough for Goldeneye, it starts off OK but only gets worse), but you're missing out on a treat with Deus Ex HR. The first hour and half are OK, but it really improves soon after that.

I'm trying to do a similar thing with all the games I got in the humble bundles. I play them for an hour, and if I've had any enjoyment I carry on, but stop and uninstall as soon as I start to get bored. For deeper games (e.g. strategy/RPGs), I feel I have to put a bit more time into them. Tropico 3 hasn't grabbed me yet (after 90 mins) but I know I'll probably enjoy it after a few more hours.
  • PazJohnMitch 1 Aug 2013 16:03:37 8,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Vanquish will fail the 90 minute challenge. I thought it was great but found it to be a very, very slow burner.
  • King_Edward 1 Aug 2013 16:36:26 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Most games would fail it for me.
  • oconnomiyaki 1 Aug 2013 17:18:29 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    Most games would fail it for me.
    Same here. The 90 minutes basically came from Roxas Syndrome: it's the time it took Kingdom Hearts II to get to the point. Life's short and I have many hobbies as well as responsibilities; I'm not a student any more. So I figure if a game can't convince me it's worth sticking with after 90 minutes, it has either problems with pacing or gameplay.

Amalur, for example, gave me a Fable vibe and got me interested straight away. The problem is GTA V is out soon and I don't know if it'll get the time and love. Others, though, have just made me ask if this is really what I want to be doing with my time?

Plus, a lot of them were PS+ offerings, so ditching them brings less guilt.
  • andytheadequate 1 Aug 2013 17:29:50 8,169 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think PS+ is a good idea if you have limited time. Generally you will already have played the game if it interests you, so even though it's incredibly good value, most people just seem to play them for an hour and so and then look for an excuse to stop.

The same thing happens in Steam sales and humble bundles too. I play a game looking for a reason to quit it if I'm playing it because it was cheap/free, whereas I'm much more patient with a game I'm actually interested in and paid more for.
  • oconnomiyaki 1 Aug 2013 20:08:36 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @andytheadequate Nah, not necessarily. Quite a few games from PS+ I've enjoyed enough to finish. RE5, Catherine, Arkham City... I'm just not going to stick with a game I don't enjoy just because it was "free".
  • andytheadequate 1 Aug 2013 21:37:08 8,169 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    @andytheadequate Nah, not necessarily. Quite a few games from PS+ I've enjoyed enough to finish. RE5, Catherine, Arkham City... I'm just not going to stick with a game I don't enjoy just because it was "free".
    I guess it depends on your backlog. I find having a lot of unplayed games stressful. Still, if I had a PS3 I'd definitely have ps+ because it's ridiculously good value, to the extent you wonder how they can make money off it
  • oconnomiyaki 1 Aug 2013 22:37:01 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    andytheadequate wrote:
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    I guess it depends on your backlog. I find having a lot of unplayed games stressful. Still, if I had a PS3 I'd definitely have ps+ because it's ridiculously good value, to the extent you wonder how they can make money off it
    I've finished all the games I paid for, so my backlog of guilt is small. I'm probably only going to get GTA V until PS4 launch. I'll pick up Batman and Assassin's Creed in the January sales.

PS+ is great as it gives me a chance to play games I'd otherwise be too cheap to buy. I think they make money off it buy having most of the games offered being the ones with heavy helpings of DLC. Probably tell publishers it's better to get your vehicle for it that is past its shelf life in the hands of people than just calling it a day.
  • CosmicFuzz 1 Aug 2013 23:09:27 24,299 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be fair, there defo is something about "I paid X for this game so I'm bloody well going to wring my money's worth out of it". If I get a game for free, I think I am more likely to give up on it if I'm honest. Although I hate giving up on stuff, to the point when I'll waste my life slogging through utter shite just because I don't want to leave it halfway through.

Our month-long focus on indie games starts with my look at the PS4's best game (still): Resogun!

• oconnomiyaki 1 Aug 2013 23:57:15 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    So Tekken Revolution just joined the shit list. You need to play arcade mode 300 times to unlock a character. Fuck that. I'd even be happy to pay, but instead they want to sell me cosmetics and shit.

I was a big proponent of this game at first, but that's just asinine.
  • Deleted user 2 August 2013 00:17:12
    Games get an hour maybe two with me before they get binned.

I'm not playing through the shite to get to the "gem". If the dev is too incompetent to hook me early on then I don't give a fuck.
  • oconnomiyaki 2 Aug 2013 04:47:36 245 posts
    Seen 10 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Jury's out on Vanquish. I like it, and I hear it's short, so I'll probably finish it. If it was 20-hours, I'd probably say no, though. It comes across as very sterile at times. Sort of reminds me of a cross between Gears of War and PN03. Mind you, the latter is a Mikami game, so yeah.

I definitely gave up on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. There's just nothing there at all that demands that I continue further. I also know nothing about the franchise, and ending up spending longer on Wikipedia reading about the lore than I did playing the game.

Next up on the 90-minute challenge: LittleBigPlanet Karting and Okami.
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Aug 2013 05:38:46 8,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Okami has a terrible intro. Do not fancy its chances.

Although I was wrong about Vanquish...
  • Telepathic.Geometry 2 Aug 2013 05:45:27 11,322 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The beginning of Okami is pretty long, but if you can make it, it's one of the best games of all fucking time.

|| PSN Barrysama || NNID Barrysama ||

• timmyfeng 2 Aug 2013 06:23:31 1 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Oh, there were so many iOS Games that I played and deleted just after a few minutes. To name but a few, Fish Out of Water, Samurai Siege, Call to Arms, and so many more.

Edited by timmyfeng at 06:24:42 02-08-2013

Edited by timmyfeng at 06:25:10 02-08-2013
  • PazJohnMitch 2 Aug 2013 08:15:36 8,044 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When Vikings Attack will be deleted shortly.
  • andytheadequate 2 Aug 2013 08:56:45 8,169 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    oconnomiyaki wrote:
    Jury's out on Vanquish. I like it, and I hear it's short, so I'll probably finish it. If it was 20-hours, I'd probably say no, though. It comes across as very sterile at times. Sort of reminds me of a cross between Gears of War and PN03. Mind you, the latter is a Mikami game, so yeah.

I definitely gave up on Warhammer 40k: Space Marine. There's just nothing there at all that demands that I continue further. I also know nothing about the franchise, and ending up spending longer on Wikipedia reading about the lore than I did playing the game.

Next up on the 90-minute challenge: LittleBigPlanet Karting and Okami.
    Okami will fail your test. Either give it a few hours or don't bother with it at all. The first hour is really dull
  • Zomoniac 2 Aug 2013 09:07:18 7,827 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It might be worth asking around if the opening is disproportionately dull. I know the feeling that sometimes it's just not worth persevering, but if I'd given up on the utterly tedious two hour intro to Heavy Rain I'd missed out on one of my favourite games ever.
  • UncleLou Moderator 2 Aug 2013 09:18:19 35,553 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Think I've given up on Assassin's Creed 3, not even made it to the main character yet. There's nothing I don't hate about it. The messy story, the shoddy transition from gameplay to cut-scenes, the floaty, clunky, semi-automatic controls in combat.

It mostly looks nice, though.
  • Roddles 2 Aug 2013 09:27:48 1,890 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    That new Shadowrun game.

I want to just play Heroquest or Space Crusade. Not skip tedious dialogue every 3 turns.
  • FuzzyDuck 2 Aug 2013 10:35:26 4,126 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Okami needs time, absolutely.

It's a slow burn at the start, but it opened out into 60+ hours of one of my fave games ever.
  • Page

of 144 First / Last