Recently-abandoned games Page 103

• Page

of 149 First / Last

• King_Edward 14 Jul 2013 22:51:15 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Tomo wrote:

Mexico is infamous for how dull it is, but the game picks up again after that.
    It's a pretty big chunk of dull to put up with though. A wouldn't blame anyone for packing in the game there.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 23:02:34
    I wish I could give up Dark Souls. It's ruining my life.

More related: I got surprisingly bored of RDR really quickly. I got it in the GOD sale a few months ago and had wanted it for ages. Started it and totally loved it but after a couple of weeks I started looking for something else to play and now I just can't be bothered to go back to it.
  • skuzzbag 14 Jul 2013 23:11:11 5,734 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Same thing happened to me. I think the whole getting bored of the gameplay just tends to kick in around Mexico which just so happens to be boring as well. Maybe Rockstar were also bored. Fuck I'm boring myself right now.
  • Deleted user 14 July 2013 23:36:40
    RDR was a bad game with high production values. I gave up after a few hours on launch day and was called a troll for pointing out the games glaring massive flaws.

Cue multiple posts of people discovering the exact same flaws and abandoning it over the next few days/weeks/months.........
  • Rhaegyr 14 Jul 2013 23:53:40 2,723 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I loved RDR - for me it was Rockstar's best game since GTA III. I think the atmosphere and setting hid a lot of the games flaws. Nearly did everything in the game because of it, including the crappy collecting - flowers, animal skins etc. The horse riding was spot on and some of the mechanics and missions were really fun.

Being a big western fan probably helps ;)
  • MrSensible 14 Jul 2013 23:58:15 25,369 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I didn't see the problem with Mexico tbh... the story still had me gripped all the way through that section.
  • Syrette 14 Jul 2013 23:58:43 44,227 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "bad game"

:lol:

• andytheadequate 15 Jul 2013 00:07:58 8,361 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    thefilthandthefury wrote:
    I didn't see the problem with Mexico tbh... the story still had me gripped all the way through that section.
    To be honest, neither do I. I think the start of the game is duller (although the atmosphere is wonderful).

@Spud - you really need to either learn to be patient and enjoy games, find a genre you like (maybe indie games rather than triple A? Or strategy games?), or just give up on gaming altogether.
  • Deleted user 15 July 2013 00:28:46
    Rdr is one of the best games of this gen and easily rockstars best.
  • PazJohnMitch 15 Jul 2013 01:17:25 8,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I put RDR on hold for a few months when I reached Mexico. I am glad I went back to it afterwards but I did need that break.
  • cubbymoore 15 Jul 2013 01:40:08 36,504 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    mowgli wrote:
    Rdr is one of the best games of this gen and easily rockstars best.
    That sounds more like an insult than a compliment.
    How does it in any way read like that? By not comprehending any of the words in the sentence?
  • samharper 15 Jul 2013 02:22:43 39 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bioshock 1,2 and Infinite

Basic FPSs with clever stories. Can't bring myself to finish any of them, even though I have owned all 3 at one point or another (BS1 & Infinite on PS3, BS2 on PC). I just can't see the appeal. Metro has a much better atmosphere for me, and the gameplay blows them out the water, although they are two very different game series, they do share some similarities (heavily story driven, linear but a decent illusion of freedom). Maybe it's my hate of everything steampunk, I don't know. Anyone else feel this way?
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Jul 2013 02:32:20 4,922 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    DarkSpaceDS wrote:
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Blah blah blah
    Wasn't RDR the reason you bought a 360 in the first place ?
    Mostly to play Bayonetta and Trials, but I couldn't enjoy RDR on the PS3 because of the crazy amount of noise from the constant disc accessing of the lens, so it was a lesser but still valid reason.
    Its strange how my PS3 slim is pretty much silent then. It only ever makes noise when its considerably warm which it then sounds like a vacuum.
    I owned the 250Gb model before (i.e. first gen Slim) and the disc drive was a whole lot quieter than this thing (320Gb Slim) I have now. What happened to my 250Gb? I traded it in for the 320Gb, the local shop was doing a bizarre deal that gave out a fortune for 250Gb models, and they also had a GT5 pack in bundle (back when GT5 was still RRP) reduced to clear. So for my 250Gb plus a tenner I walked away with a minor bump in hard drive capacity, GT5, and a new shop guarantee. It would've been a great deal if the current console wasn't clunky as fuvk, Sony clearly sourced different components for some of the later Slims.

Back on topic, I've been absorbed in the setting again and am almost through Mexico. Only have a few of the treasure hunts to do, so will probably finish them first.
  • FuzzyDuck 15 Jul 2013 02:33:41 4,922 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @samharper

The story and setting (especially Infinite's) were enough to carry them for me, but I can see clearly why someone would ditch them.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jul 2013 09:14:45 35,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Loved RDR, one of the best games of this gen no doubt. Animations in nearly every other game still feel dated since I played RDR, and I dread games with horse-riding now, because it's always shit in comparison.

And there's the treasure hunt.

And yes, I'd agree it's Rockstar's best game.

Edited by UncleLou at 09:15:45 15-07-2013
  • Ziz0u 15 Jul 2013 09:24:10 8,648 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was going to say it's amazing what a marmite game RDR is, but I suppose GTA IV and perhaps other Rockstar games are as well?

RDR is one of my favorite games of all time.
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jul 2013 09:39:46 35,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't think it's really a marmite game. I'd be surprised if most people who played it didn't like it, but you always get dissenting opinions, and particularly with AAA games.
  • imamazed 15 Jul 2013 09:42:39 5,959 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeh I didn't like RDR at all. Although, tbf, I didn't abandon it; I went right through till the end. It didn't get good.
  • DFawkes 15 Jul 2013 09:44:44 24,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I loved it, but still abandoned it because I have a short attention span. It's like an interactive Western, and has the atmosphere nailed down. I can appreciate people not getting into it, but it does exactly what it intends to really well.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• DUFFMAN5 15 Jul 2013 09:46:37 15,399 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fuse (360)
    I gave up on the very last boss (that is the way I roll, did likewise on SotD) looking back I'm not too sure why I stayed with it that long. Nothing wrong with it, just so very boring. The swap system did work well and was instant. Some nice weapons, but I would expect that from the Resistance team behind it.

I did like the "horde" mode and I actually managed to get some co-op games on that, unlike the campaign which I did solo. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the story more with 1,2, or 3 human players.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• King_Edward 15 Jul 2013 09:51:22 11,471 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe RDR comes down to why you're playing it. I was in it for the story, and that drags on and on through Mexico. Everyone you meet has their own shit going on, and your own story gets put on hold repeatedly.
  • imamazed 15 Jul 2013 09:52:54 5,959 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The truth is, the "stroyline" in RDR is so thin it could be adequately told in about 10 minutes. Stretching it over 15 hours or however long it was made me thoroughly disinterested. That, and the actual writing was of a terrible quality.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Jul 2013 10:39:25 17,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I loved RDR up until certain parts of Mexico, there was a specific mission where you have to gun down waves and waves of Mexican's using a gatling gun and I just got hacked off at that; as I do at most mounted gun sections. Otherwise it is generally high quality.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Kay 15 Jul 2013 10:57:29 17,969 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I played and completed RDR just last month, partly to see what all the fuss was about with the story and ending. I agree that the main missions are, for the most part, shit, and it drags on far too long during Mexico. It's annoying how, like the GTA games, you get forced to take part in silly missions for annoying caricatures that seem only to serve to pad out the main story. The game should and could have easily been cut by a third.

That said, I still really enjoyed the experience because of the world and sidequests (which are actually really good, and bode well for GTA V). And it's worth pushing through Mexico to get to the final area where things pick up again, and to experience the game's unique ending.

Edited by Kay at 10:58:53 15-07-2013
  • UncleLou Moderator 15 Jul 2013 11:05:11 35,851 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    The truth is, the "stroyline" in RDR is so thin it could be adequately told in about 10 minutes. Stretching it over 15 hours or however long it was made me thoroughly disinterested. That, and the actual writing was of a terrible quality.
    Didn't mind the story, but then I couldn't give a rat's ass abotu stories in games in general - but terrible writing? That's a surprising comment.
  • DFawkes 15 Jul 2013 11:23:59 24,053 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I really liked some of the writing in RDR, but not all of it. I did feel that sometimes it was inconsistent, with some story threads given little thought, whilst others (like the guy building the flying machine) really felt like I'd come across something a little special. Completely unnecessary, but still engaging.

Oh for goodness sake, I've caught my scrotum in my zip again - Margaret Thatcher, 1986

• Armoured_Bear 15 Jul 2013 11:44:18 11,900 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The graphics and atmosphere were superb in RDR, it looked amazing.
    The intro and ending were nicely handled but the game was often dull and the story was nonsense with the way Martson spent hours jumping through hoops for Dickens. A shame the gameplay and story couldn't match the rest but it was still a really enjoyable game.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Page

of 149 First / Last