Recently-abandoned games Page 98

• Page

of 144 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 May 2013 21:06:16
    I played through the original 3 times solo before taking Lexx87 through the game in co-op so I'm well aware that co-op is the make or break of this game.

Irrespective, the solo campaign (as with the first) is indicative of the co-op and it's OK, just very, very samey. Borderlands 1.5 and. tbh, after all this time I'm bored with grinding guys no matter how good it looks or how funny it can be.

Maybe I'm just a grinch at heart but I'm struggling to get any fun from it whatsoever :(
  • hypoBla5t 4 May 2013 21:28:38 1,397 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Divine Divinity

Apparently this is supposed to be like Diablo but I'm sorry, I can't be bothered to play long enough to find out. The graphics and graphical style are awful, I have no idea what to do or where to go and I'm stuck in some crappy grimy-looking village.

Right to the bottom of the backlog with you, then.

EDIT: Actually that's my first abandoned game of the year (apart from Valkyria Chronicles, which I tried to resurrect but ended up abandoning again), which is decent going for me.

Edited by hypoBla5t at 21:32:58 04-05-2013
  • SomaticSense 6 May 2013 09:50:59 8,179 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Darksiders 2.

It started amazingly well, with some jaw-dropping environment design, and one of the most stirring and epic game soundtracks ever. But it was let down a bit by poor combat (particle effects obscuring the enemies making hard to see what was going on, and a useless dodge which doesn't cancel attack animations). However it was playable enough for me to sink over 25 hours into it, devoting about 2 hours a week into it.

I would probably played it to completion, despite it dragging quite severely once you reach the Kingdom of the Dead, but Vigil really commited a huge fuck up. Upon reaching Earth, the once imaginative and awe-inspiring environments and architecture turn into grey, dilapidated office buildings reminiscent of the most boring, bland, and creatively lazy gaming environment they could possibly have come up with.

Worse than that though, the game seems to turn into a genuinely dreadful third-person shooter. So bad that you have wonder what the hell they were thinking. It's one of the most bizarre design decisions I've seen in a long, long time, and completely undermines all the effort and imagination put into the rest of the game.

That was the point where I shelved it. It was a bargain at around 6 (PSN), and was a huge improvement on the bland original. But that abysmal and shoddily developed genre-switch killed it for me. If the devs couldn't be arsed anymore then why should I?

Edited by SomaticSense at 09:53:19 06-05-2013
  • thedaveeyres 7 May 2013 12:52:43 10,928 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Poker Night 2 (PS3)

Started and abandoned in one sitting. It's SHITE. Not, "mmmm, well this is a bit rubbish" but genuinely fucking dreadful. There are games I've bought that are still in my cupboard in cellophane from 5 years ago that I regret buying less than this turd.

The actual poker is awful - the AI is terrible, there are only 4 opponents, and hands take ages thanks to the dreadful and unnecessary banter between the characters which I think is attempting to be amusing. Then we have the stuttering and pregnant pauses - not a hand goes by without the game hanging for upwards to 30 seconds for no fucking reason at all. It takes about 20 mins to play half a dozen hands.

As an experienced poker player, both online and in real life, I was hoping for an amusing distraction. I knew there was no multiplayer, which seemed initially baffling, but thought that at least the single player tourney would be good for a few laughs and help keep my eye in. It wasn't, it isn't, it's fucking terrible. Do not under any circumstances waste your money on this.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Neodog 16 May 2013 14:05:14 296 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Soul Sacrifice - Really want to like it, but I cannot get on with the combat and the offerings and fusing. Not the game I thought it was going to be. Oh Well back to Persona 4 Golden.

http://www.twolittlegamers.co.uk

• kooi1980 16 May 2013 22:48:48 126 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Malicious - PSN+ freebie. Tried it for an hour or so and I think I got halfway through the story in that time, but I really couldn't be bothered to go on. Ninety Nine Night with the last bit of fun that had taken out of it.
  • Dr_Mech 16 May 2013 23:29:59 1,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Poker Night 2 (PS3)

Started and abandoned in one sitting. It's SHITE. Not, "mmmm, well this is a bit rubbish" but genuinely fucking dreadful. There are games I've bought that are still in my cupboard in cellophane from 5 years ago that I regret buying less than this turd.

The actual poker is awful - the AI is terrible, there are only 4 opponents, and hands take ages thanks to the dreadful and unnecessary banter between the characters which I think is attempting to be amusing. Then we have the stuttering and pregnant pauses - not a hand goes by without the game hanging for upwards to 30 seconds for no fucking reason at all. It takes about 20 mins to play half a dozen hands.

As an experienced poker player, both online and in real life, I was hoping for an amusing distraction. I knew there was no multiplayer, which seemed initially baffling, but thought that at least the single player tourney would be good for a few laughs and help keep my eye in. It wasn't, it isn't, it's fucking terrible. Do not under any circumstances waste your money on this.
    To be fair...I kind of think Valve know this which is why they have you get Borderlands 2 and TF2 items in it. It is kind of a game you buy to get exclusive virtual item in other games. the TF2 hat obsession can make a game sell apparently.

Plus the didn't have Bruce Campbel voice Ash, which made the game go from 'considering' (being a Bruce Campbel fan) to 'no sale'.

Edited by Dr_Mech at 23:31:41 16-05-2013
  • Deleted user 22 May 2013 16:25:43
    Catherine - PS3

Got it for free on PS+. Utter animu garbage. Played about an hour and then it suddenly hit me that it was about the stupidest fucking thing i'd encountered in quite some time.

Not even really a game to be honest.
  • Deleted user 22 May 2013 22:21:19
    Hitman Absolution - PS3

Another PS+ offering. Ticked all the modern third person stealther boxes but was utterly soulless so i can't be arsed. Reminder me of the utterly bland latest installment of the Dues Ex franchise to be honest.

Had heard it isn't a patch on the prequels anyway.
  • andytheadequate 22 May 2013 23:05:38 8,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @spudsbuckley - out of interest, what was the last game you actually enjoyed?

For my part, I'm seriously considering giving up on tales of monkey island. I've played 2 chapters and they are just so average. The worst bit is that I also bought san and max, I wish I hadn't bothered now

Edited by andytheadequate at 23:06:51 22-05-2013
  • Deleted user 22 May 2013 23:38:25
    andytheadequate wrote:

Finished Sleeping Dogs a couple of days ago and firmly enjoyed it. Before that i played and finished Max Payne 3 which i though was going to be horrible but actually turned out to be surprisingly good.
  • andytheadequate 23 May 2013 11:29:36 8,136 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    spudsbuckley wrote:
    andytheadequate wrote:

Finished Sleeping Dogs a couple of days ago and firmly enjoyed it. Before that i played and finished Max Payne 3 which i though was going to be horrible but actually turned out to be surprisingly good.
    Sleeping Dogs was a strange one, I thought it looked terribly average, and the demo did little to change this. Then I played it after it came free with my graphics card and I really enjoyed it.

Imagine the danger of PSN is that you end up playing games you have no interest in. It is only a good deal if you planned on buying those games anyway. I user to do the same with lovefilm, but ended up disliking nearly every game I played from there
  • Gunzberg 24 May 2013 12:36:48 1,731 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Conker live and reloaded on 360

Got to chapter 6 of 9 but can not do the bloody race.

Just a long list of utterly frustrating moments and design choices in this.

Don't miss Rare at all as fas as their platformers are concerned.

Now looking forward to God of War Ascenscion and Gears of War Judgement coming in the post

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Paulie_P 26 May 2013 09:24:57 413 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Darksiders

Tried this a second time and just couldn't get on with it. I love God of War and Zelda but this seemed like a lite version of those games mixed together but just not as enjoyable.

I couldn't get on with the look and hated the characters - especially the way they all talked like Christian Bale's Batman and that Watcher character is 20times as annoying as any of Link's partners (ok maybe that's a bit far).

The dungeon design and bosses don't seem as elegant as Zelda and the world just seems grey and dull.

For me it's a 6/10.
  • bladdard 26 May 2013 21:02:44 933 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Life of Pixel

Brilliant bit of nostalgia and could have been an excellent game if instadeath wasn't lurking around every corner. I got to 58% and decided I'd seen as much as I needed to. The Commodore 64 and Atari VCS themed levels were my favourites.
  • MatMan562 26 May 2013 21:42:26 2,415 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think I'm going to have to abandon Pikmin 2. I bought it last year along with the original Pikmin, both wii versions. I finished and loved the original without any problems which I was a little surprised by because I hate time-limits but for some reason I can't make it through Pikmin 2. Whenever I take heavy pikmin losses I have to switch it off so I don't have to try to get all my pikmin back and then I find it hard to switch back on again knowing I'm going to have to re-do everything I'd just done. Not to mention the emotional damage it causes :-P

It's a real shame because I love the game still and I'm really looking forward to Pikmin 3 (which, incidentally, has a feature to prevent my problem with 2). Hopefully, one day, I'll be able to finish it but it's not looking likely at the moment.

XBL/ PSN/ Steam/ NNID - MatMan562

• FuzzyDuck 31 May 2013 20:10:04 4,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The Witcher 2: AoK Enhanced Edition (360)

Picked this up during the week on the cheap and had nothing on today, so decided to have a session on it last night and today. Probably about half way through the first proper chapter (having done the training and prologue) and I just find Geralt's movement and the combat incredibly clunky (200+ hours of Dark Souls could be to blame here), the mini map is an absolute balls to read (seriously, no North marking?!), whike the main map is worthless. Way too many loading screens too.

Coupled with some horrible audio (seems to be too loud one minute and too quiet the next), some horrible screen tear and muddy graphics (I thought this was supposed to be a graphical tour de force and quite an achievement for the 360 - it's dog ugly in places) means this is getting traded in towards The Last Of Us in two weeks.

A shame as I was really enjoying the characters and dialogue.

Edited by FuzzyDuck at 20:11:14 31-05-2013
  • SFD 31 May 2013 20:45:39 491 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

Looks and plays like crap (PS3 at least)
  • Deleted user 31 May 2013 22:05:52
    LOTOR: The War in the North

Not a bad game at all, i just ran into an apparently fairly common bug that breaks the game and makes it unfinishable.

Thankfully it was a PS+ freebie and i enjoy a few hours of it.
  • DUFFMAN5 31 May 2013 22:07:49 14,608 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    3 action rpgs tossed aside, thats the way the wind is blowing is it.

"Duffman the grey is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

• Armoured_Bear 31 May 2013 22:11:14 10,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    The Witcher 2: AoK Enhanced Edition (360)

Picked this up during the week on the cheap and had nothing on today, so decided to have a session on it last night and today. Probably about half way through the first proper chapter (having done the training and prologue) and I just find Geralt's movement and the combat incredibly clunky (200+ hours of Dark Souls could be to blame here), the mini map is an absolute balls to read (seriously, no North marking?!), whike the main map is worthless. Way too many loading screens too.

Coupled with some horrible audio (seems to be too loud one minute and too quiet the next), some horrible screen tear and muddy graphics (I thought this was supposed to be a graphical tour de force and quite an achievement for the 360 - it's dog ugly in places) means this is getting traded in towards The Last Of Us in two weeks.

A shame as I was really enjoying the characters and dialogue.
    Do you have a PC?
    It looks amazing on PC, one of my fave games of this generation, amazing world and characters you really care about.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• FuzzyDuck 31 May 2013 22:23:09 4,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I could run it on PC that would put it far ahead of the 360 version, but I can't get on with the combat, feels like a poor man's Demon's/Dark Souls.

I'll be hanging onto it until The Last of Us comes out at least, so it will probably get another go.

I have to agree about the characters - Geralt is already a fantastic lead character and his interactions with Triss seem really natural. As does all the banter and dialogue with the other NPCs.
  • FuzzyDuck 31 May 2013 22:24:11 4,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5

Yeah, think I'm just gonna stick on Ninja Gaiden or Bayonetta now, need some balls to the wall action after that!
  • Rens11 31 May 2013 22:29:48 1,396 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree the combat in witcher 2 is pretty poor and if your surrounded your basically fucked plus the potion system is stupid how are you supposed to know beforehand that you'll need them. Currently have a glitch in the game myself that stops the game loading and I can't progress any further

Dont kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, hed eat you and everyone you care about!

• FuzzyDuck 31 May 2013 22:36:57 4,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I found that with the potion system too, daftness. The checkpointing is pretty lame to boot.

Encountered a few minor bugs too (disappearing enemy, Geralt unable to walk through an open door for about 20 seconds), but if my save wouldn't load I'd be selling it off in the morning.
  • Benno 31 May 2013 22:40:21 9,844 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Witcher is such a marmite game
  • Armoured_Bear 31 May 2013 22:40:35 10,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    FuzzyDuck wrote:
    Yeah I could run it on PC that would put it far ahead of the 360 version, but I can't get on with the combat, feels like a poor man's Demon's/Dark Souls.

I'll be hanging onto it until The Last of Us comes out at least, so it will probably get another go.

I have to agree about the characters - Geralt is already a fantastic lead character and his interactions with Triss seem really natural. As does all the banter and dialogue with the other NPCs.
    The combat isn't the strongest part but it's more than made up for by the story, characters and world, I'd persevere till the end of Chapter 1 if you can and read up on some combat tips.

• Armoured_Bear 31 May 2013 22:42:33 10,629 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think Bioshock Infinite will be abandoned soon, looks nice (apart from some embarrassing placeholder stuff) and although I'm not far in I like the world and Elizabeth but it's giving me nasty motion sickness and the gameplay is not clicking, it's all shooting and being killed by cuntturrets.

• FuzzyDuck 31 May 2013 22:47:56 4,039 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think seeing it through to end of Chapter 1 is a fair shout - I might flip through the guide book and won't be able to get near it until Sunday night at least, so a break from it.

Make sure to upgrade your Possession in Bioshock and possess those turrets!
  • Vortex808 31 May 2013 22:48:21 7,086 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It took a while to click with me, but I am really enjoying Bioshock infinite now.

Witcher 2's potions thing was a total pain, but the combat really does improve as you rank up, so it's well worth persevering with a while longer. Honest.

Check out Blerk's recent comments at the end of the witcher 2 game thread.

Edited by Vortex808 at 22:49:07 31-05-2013
  • Page

of 144 First / Last