Recently-abandoned games Page 96

• Page

of 141 First / Last

• RyanDS 20 Apr 2013 21:10:44 9,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Okami hd. Fuck me, been "playing" for half an hour and haven't even started, it's just page after page of the slowest moving text I have ever seen, in any good game this would have lasted five minutes max. The text appears on the screen at around a word every three seconds, then every five words you need to press x to move to the next five words. Jesus Christ, it as if the game was designed for a five year old who had to have mommy spell and say each word slowly to explain, and all this with the most annoying sound effects behind and some grating noise that I think is meant to be the voice of the narrator or witch or something.

Probably the first game I have ever abandoned without actually playing, life is too short to see how much further this intro lasts.

Edited by RyanDS at 21:12:37 20-04-2013

Edited by RyanDS at 21:17:32 20-04-2013
  • FatsoJetson 21 Apr 2013 00:26:51 302 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @RyanDS

Hmmm. Life's too short to sit through a lengthy videogame intro but not so short as too stop you coming on an Internet forum to post about it, and make multiple edits several minutes apart to that same post?

I agree with you though - Okami's intro is exceedingly long and terribly dull and those noises are fucking awful. However it really does start to show its charms after an hour or so.

I'm only 8 hours into it though, and reviews do say it drags on a bit towards the end so I may well also abandon it at some point.
  • Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2013 00:29:24 10,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Okami hd. Fuck me, been "playing" for half an hour and haven't even started, it's just page after page of the slowest moving text I have ever seen, in any good game this would have lasted five minutes max. The text appears on the screen at around a word every three seconds, then every five words you need to press x to move to the next five words. Jesus Christ, it as if the game was designed for a five year old who had to have mommy spell and say each word slowly to explain, and all this with the most annoying sound effects behind and some grating noise that I think is meant to be the voice of the narrator or witch or something.

Probably the first game I have ever abandoned without actually playing, life is too short to see how much further this intro lasts.

Edited by RyanDS at 21:12:37 20-04-2013
    You're making a mistake, once you get past the first shitty hour you're in gaming glory.

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• Armoured_Bear 21 Apr 2013 00:31:06 10,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Metro 2033 - Frustrating and makes me want to vomit, now uninstalled.
    Saint's Row 3 - Fun at first but gets dull fast.
    I just tried Dead Space 2, only the first 20 mins or so but I don't think I can be arsed with it....

XBL : ecosse011172
    PSN : ecosse_011172
    NNID : armoured_bear

• cubbymoore 21 Apr 2013 01:34:09 36,468 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I found skyrim to be awful compared to fallout 3. The whole interface is completely unintuitive and I found it really difficult to get into. The interface was an integral part of fallout with the pipboy, but skyrim had weird upgrade branch things that were just bewildering and didn't seem to fit into the aesthetic.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 Apr 2013 06:12:49 7,834 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have abandoned Okami twice in the past. First after about 1 hour on PS2. Second after about 5 hours on Wii. I would like to give it a thrid chance at some point.
  • Syrette 21 Apr 2013 08:50:04 43,124 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Monsieur_Blade wrote:
    I've got this weird (slightly OCD) thing where I have to complete one game before I can start a new one.
    That's not weird at all. More people should do it.

In days gone by when I used to have several on the go at once; I'd inevitably never finish some if not all of them.

Edited by Syrette at 09:19:33 21-04-2013

• Deleted user 21 April 2013 09:17:12
    Yeah it's a good thing to do. I'm forcing myself to do just that at the moment.
  • MadCaddy13 21 Apr 2013 09:21:13 1,858 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I've currently abandoned Bioshock Infinite :/
  • johnthewliss 21 Apr 2013 13:00:16 34 posts
    Seen 11 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Resi 6. Just couldn't force myself through it.
  • SparkyMarky81 21 Apr 2013 13:08:23 562 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got 2!

Halo 4 - Never really got into this, despite enjoying the other Halo games. I can't think of anything it does particularly badly, so I think i'm just Halo'd out. It's a case of 'seen it all before' and i don't have the motivation to do it all again.

Far Cry 3 - Started off great, but soon became very repetitive. The island is a great environment and the wildlife was cool for a while. The gameplay was just the same as any other shooter though and I couldn't be arsed to liberate camp after camp.

Blood Dragon looks cool though so I may return when it comes out.

Think I'm going to have a break from FPSs for the time being...
  • RyanDS 21 Apr 2013 13:12:18 9,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Halo 3... again.

5th time I have bought this, (it's only 3 odd in the shops) and 5th time I have given up after around 2 hours.

It just is not fun, and feels like a poor PC FPS from 1995. There must be something there and people seem to like it, but every year I decide to try it again and just can't get into it at all. Controls are crap, it's mediocre looking, it has awful weapons and the level design is just no fun.
  • ZuluHero 21 Apr 2013 13:16:32 4,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You give up on a lot of games, are you sure gaming is for you? :p
  • RyanDS 21 Apr 2013 14:30:21 9,070 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    You give up on a lot of games, are you sure gaming is for you? :p
    I reckon I complete 90% of the games I play, I tend to have a compulsion to finish.

When I do give up on games it's usually the first hour or two where they don't grab me. From memory the only games I've abandoned in the last couple of years are GTA4 (boring), Bayonetta (2 hours in), Okami (30 minutes in), Xenoblade (final boss), Bioshock 2 (1 hour in), Two Worlds 2 (just plain broken) and Halo 3. Theres probably more, whereas I tend to complete 2 or 3 games a month. I just get pretty vocal about stuff I don't like. Stuff I like I enjoy quietly, stuff that annoys me gets a rant here.
  • ZuluHero 21 Apr 2013 19:09:48 4,031 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @RyanDS yeah, I understand, in fact I'm very much the same. I was only joking really as you posted twice in less than 24 hours :)
  • Matt36 21 Apr 2013 19:12:35 1,313 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Soul Calibur V

Got 250gs/1000gs and I can't go any further. My skill level doesn't allow it. I'm not grinding 200 wins for 20gs either. Disappointed. I loved SCIV :(

Edited by Matt36 at 20:17:36 21-04-2013
  • TechnoHippy 21 Apr 2013 20:05:39 14,698 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Doom 3

I've just played through the first 2 games,so I thought I'd give this another play. I shouldn't have bothered and now I need a new game to play.

My books, contests, reviews and author interviews on my blog

• unicorn69 21 Apr 2013 20:36:26 81 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown

A Great game, but lost all my soldiers in the alien base assualt. And lost my interest too.

Notice: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.

• Matt36 21 Apr 2013 20:58:04 1,313 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    FIFA 13

I give the fuck up trying to score this freekick for the achievement. I'm done with the game now. No fun.
  • FuzzyDuck 21 Apr 2013 21:03:35 3,929 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Shygnome wrote:
    Is that in the picture? Yoyu want to play GOW with me?

I am top ranked.
    Given Pepsipop's sly change of picture, this post has gone from creepy to fuckin' hilarious! :D
  • king26 22 Apr 2013 00:16:14 546 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Skyrim, Battlefield 3, Batman AC and FarCry 3. My PS3 decided to have a brain fart meaning I had to reset the machine. I've lost all my saved games and dlc for all games I own! I am pissed off!! I can't be arsed to go through all that again.
  • Aretak 22 Apr 2013 01:51:51 10,346 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dragon Quest IX

Put about eight hours into it, but it's just really, really dull and formulaic. I mean, I know the Dragon Quest series keeps it old school by design, but VIII managed to strike a perfect balance between the old and the new to produce one of the PS2's best RPGs. I don't think being on the DS does it any favours either. It looks okay for a DS game, but the framerate slows to a crawl all too frequently (constantly in towns) and the environments are generally tiny and boring, which is a shame given how expansive and interesting VIII's world was.

There's nothing offensively bad about it in any sense, but there are just so many better games to play out there, both in the same genre and otherwise, that I can't justify spending any more time playing it.
  • oconnomiyaki 22 Apr 2013 05:17:07 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • oconnomiyaki 22 Apr 2013 05:17:09 245 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    God of War. Just couldn't get into it. Got to where there's some big dude in the background & just gave up. Wasn't having much fun. Also thinking of doing the same for Resident Evil 5.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 10:27:57 1,313 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    But Skyrim is beautiful and has dragons! DRAGONS!?
  • imamazed 26 Apr 2013 09:19:57 5,524 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Uncharted 2...

Don't get me wrong, I was lovin' it, but I've been borrowing it from a friend and it routinely freezes/glitches at a spot in chapter 6 and I've had to give up :(
  • dsmx 26 Apr 2013 09:28:53 7,563 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    you poor soul, the game ramps up so much the further you get through the game.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Zackv4861 26 Apr 2013 19:31:53 1,082 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I hated UC2 aswell. Not a popular opinion but i just didn't like it
  • dsmx 26 Apr 2013 20:02:55 7,563 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't really see why some people wouldn't like UC2 you approach it like a hollywood action movie and essentially turn off your brain and just enjoy the ride. The plot is interesting and is well paced for the most part, the characters are likeable, the graphics still look incredible, the voice acting is second to none, the cut-scenes are really well done and it's a lot of fun for most of the game.

Yes you criticise it for being a bit to on the rails, in a later part it literally is on rails but it allows the developers to tell a tight and well told story where they can effectively dictate the speed at which it develops which makes the game and story feel well paced.

The only thing that I don't like in it is that last boss fight and the bullet sponge enemies that pop up every now and then but that's always the price you pay when you have regenerative health.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• Page

of 141 First / Last