Recently-abandoned games Page 86

• Page

of 146 First / Last

• evild_edd 4 Oct 2012 19:32:25 3,148 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not sure it's a case of rose-tinted glasses. As you say ronuds, there were duds pre and post recharching health. It all comes down to the quality of your game design: does it suit health packs, rechargeable packs, or one-hit kills? The health system should be built to incorporate the game and play style you want to encourage from the player.

The biggest problem these days is homogeneity. The fact that playtesters will say an FPS is broken it it doesn't play like CoD. I think a lot of people just expect recharging health these days, so it's squeezed-in by designers irrespective of whether it suits their title.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• King_Edward 4 Oct 2012 19:39:18 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think people look back on health packs with rose-tinted goggles the same way they do anything else.
    I don't think it's fair to label people's opinions as pure nostalgia.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 20:04:36 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    When this is the opinion:

This is why I honestly think Resistance 3 is the first great FPS since Halo did it's best to ruin the genre.
    I think it's fair.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 20:12:45
    @ronuds
    Halo ruined the FPS genre? It pretty much made the genre on consoles.

Edited by Fantomex at 20:13:23 04-10-2012
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 20:13:39 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I was quoting!
  • King_Edward 4 Oct 2012 20:16:10 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    This is why I honestly think Resistance 3 is the first great FPS since Halo did it's best to ruin the genre.
    I think it's fair.
    Well he's wrong, but it has little to do with nostalgia.
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 20:17:33
    @ronuds I was stating an opinion! Whoever it was though is very silly. If anything CoD is ruining the genre.
  • King_Edward 4 Oct 2012 20:22:05 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fantomex wrote:
    @ronuds I was stating an opinion! Whoever it was though is very silly. If anything CoD is ruining the genre.
    Neither are ruining anything.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 20:24:07 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You're ruining our fun!
  • Deleted user 4 October 2012 20:26:08
    @King_Edward So, Activison releasing pretty much the same game on an annual basis isn't ruining the genre? How so?
  • King_Edward 4 Oct 2012 20:32:29 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well they're keeping a large section of people interested in shooters for a start.
  • RyanDS 4 Oct 2012 20:33:11 9,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    I think it's fair.
    I have played pretty much every fps of the last fifteen years. In my case at least it is not nostalgia. It is my preference.
  • ronuds 4 Oct 2012 20:53:47 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    15 years isn't much, tbh, but that's nice.

I can't argue with a preference, though, even if I feel the reasons behind your preference are somewhat ridiculous.
  • PazJohnMitch 4 Oct 2012 21:16:25 8,410 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really didn't like health packs. For me the Goldeneye approach was better. You have a fixed amount of health each level and once it is gone you are dead. (Plus body armour).

Halo's recharging health was a revelation when it came out and it suited that game.

Now it is used for everything and is generally inappropriate. So now those health packs I hated initially are often a welcome change.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 21:17:11 04-10-2012

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 21:18:25 04-10-2012
  • dsmx 4 Oct 2012 21:45:50 7,655 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not rose tinted glasses, it's the simple fact that when you have health packs when you up the difficulty the game doesn't need to resort to grenade spam, 1-2 hit kills or the inevitable bullet sponge enemies to kill you.

If I had my way regenerative health would be confined to easy mode on games and health packs were used for everything above that to stop devs resorting to cheap ways of killing you.

"If we hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a a house of cards, checkmate." Zapp Brannigan

• ronuds 4 Oct 2012 21:55:05 21,788 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No game, with or w/o health packs, has to resort to grenade spam to up the difficulty. They could always just lower your health so that it takes less shots for you to die, or lengthen the amount of time it takes for your health to regenerate.

Which is pretty much the same thing they'd do with a health pack system, only "lowering your health" and "less shots for you to die" just means less health packs scattered about, but yet in very convenient places exactly when you'll need one.
  • MrSensible 4 Oct 2012 22:00:29 25,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Higher difficulties should equal smarter enemies, with better AI. I know that isn't what happens, but it bloody well should be!
  • King_Edward 4 Oct 2012 22:07:57 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's fine balancing act either way. Uncharted 2 I felt was a pretty open game. You could run around shooting stuff and jumping around, then find some respite behind a wall to top up your health before charging out again.

A couple more enemies and slightly harsher healing delay in Uncharted 3 and you end up pinned against the first knee high wall, scared to stick your head out.
  • RyanDS 5 Oct 2012 08:14:01 9,600 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ronuds wrote:
    15 years isn't much, tbh, but that's nice.

I can't argue with a preference, though, even if I feel the reasons behind your preference are somewhat ridiculous.
    Fuck. Just checked and Wolf 3D came out in 1992. That makes 20 years not 15.

But yeah, preferences are like opinions and arseholes really. If I had my way AAA RPGs would still be using the infinity engine, and SCUMM rather than Unreal Engine would be the most popular licensed engine.

Now get off my lawn!
  • lordofdeadside 5 Oct 2012 13:37:25 1,138 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    F1 2012

I'm done with this. I've got the settings right so i can stay on the track and enjoy driving, but i'm stuck between two AI difficulties.

In the Force India, i'm either winning most races easily (intermediate) or ending up last or next to last (professional). There's such a big gap between the two, it's stupid.

It's on the swapsies thread if anyone wants it (after that glowing review).
  • MrSensible 7 Oct 2012 13:07:31 25,259 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well I said recently that I was thinking of giving up on Jade Empire but I stuck it out a bit... and now I'm getting sick of it again. I hate to leave things unfinished though! How far am I from the end? I'm currently about to have the boss fight in the base of the Lotus Assassins.
  • bbvDJC 9 Oct 2012 15:23:08 1,742 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    FIFA 13.

It's a shame because I was really looking forward to it but I just can't get into football games like I used to be able too.

Think I will trade it in for Dishonoured on Friday.
  • Gunzberg 12 Oct 2012 15:42:53 1,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @doctor_fraud

Gave up after the first one, was totally frustrating

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• King_Edward 12 Oct 2012 18:09:44 11,459 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I dont remember them being too hard. I suppose collecting 100 stones is annoying.

Maybe they've aged badly though.
  • cubbymoore 13 Oct 2012 00:05:07 36,501 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Max Payne 3

Not out of choice, but because I literally couldn't go any further with my current game. I got to a bit just after he shaves his hair off(??) and for some reason the game froze during a cut scene. With my PS3 being completely unresponsive I had no choice but to switch it off. And now whenever I try to load my game, which you can only do by choosing "Continue", it loads... and loads... and loads... and just never gets anywhere.

I thought, hopefully, I could get around it by choosing to play a chapter just before it froze, but no it just throws you out once you've completed that chapter and doesn't continue the story. Absolutely shambolic Rockstar!

So I had two options, play it all through again, or just quit. It really isn't a good enough game to warrant the first option.

Glad I was just renting it.
  • FuzzyDuck 13 Oct 2012 20:13:27 4,449 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Borderlands 2

I played up to level 24 as an Assassin, was having great fun with it up until about level 20, but it just got so repetitive after than.

Plus the screentearing hurt.
  • Gunzberg 13 Oct 2012 20:35:34 1,742 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Warioland: The Shake Dimenson

Abandoned before then retried, completed the 3rd island but don't have enough coins to buy the map for the next one and I am tired of redoing levels for coins.

Also some levels had some utterly frustrating design bits coupled with timed sections where things only work out if you hit the perfect angle 8 times in a row forcing 20+ retries.

Now in the to be ebayed pile

Steam/PSN/XBL/Nintendo ID/Uplay/Origin: Gunzberg
    Blizzard Battletag: Gunzberg#2718

• Page

of 146 First / Last